Starting an e-bike company - let's figure out the specs :)

mark swenson said:
A crystalyte 408 motor, 20" rim with a 36 volt battery would work out really well with a 35 amp controller. Depending on how far you want to commute (with what you describe, it looks like 10 miles, max) I would say a $400 Li-Po battery would be more than enough for the power supply ($550 for a higher power system), it looks like your frames are running about 400-500 and the motor would be about 350-450. I am sure, in volume, the prices would be cheaper. This would give you a bike that I would buy and would not immediately regret the purchase (as I would with a Walmart-type e-Bike) for about $1200.

Mark,
On the cost side your numbers look about 2x high and the frame more like 3x, though some ancillary costs will add back some. There's absolutely no reason that someone can't produce a solid quality ebike and sell it profitably at well under $1k. You seem to have lost sight that it's just a bicycle + small electric motor + batteries + relatively minor electronics. Hand craftsmanship or very long range Lipos is the only reason to pay more. China puts what, almost 20 million electric 2 wheelers on the road each year. Probably only the large electric scooter/motorcycles cost over $1k, and with that kind of volume it's doubtful to be all junk...too much competition. They send the junk overseas instead.
John

Well, I am going off of the frames that have been shown earlier...I'm not a big fan of folding bikes, and I can't say I really know how much a frame costs (if they are lower, that is even better), and as far as the battery and motor, I am going off of individual retail pricing rather than wholesale...

My point is that a decently priced bike can have LiPo batteries (especially if the range is under 10 miles), and that light batteries are important for 2 reasons:

Weight: no one wants to lug a 70lb bike around all day
Center of Gravity: On the bikes I have seen the batteries are mounted pretty high, and the tires are pretty small...turning and manuvering will be a huge issue.

NiMH batteries would work too, for less cost, but I don't think SLA is even worth putting into a commuter model...

Beyond this, the person Leo is describing as his market has a little more income to use on transportation than the guy who is trying to make it by on $8 an hour from McDonalds.

Anyway, you are probably right about the cost, which makes it even more feasible to utilize a higher quality battery as opposed to SLA batteries.

I think another important aspect in having a successful e-bike business (or any business for that matter) is to carry a variety of products. Not everyone is going to want a folding bike. Some will be attracted to a more traditional geometry. Or, they may be looking for something that is even more compact and light for two-mile satellite commutes to the train station. Others may be looking for a very long range heavy duty e-bike. Others may want a stretch cruiser, others recumbents, others stand up scooters, and others who want an e-bike that can haul cargo.

Having a "flagship" design that you source directly from the manufactures is fine. But I think that you will draw even more customers if there is a lot more to choose from.

I think you really should have a public policy angle to this. If there was better bike infrastructure people could consider having an ebike replace a car(or more likely one car in a two car household) instead of having it be a dedicated train commuter bike. There is really a great need for more public transportation infrastructure as well, which could increase your target market you have now. If you are able to do good faith work in the public policy arena that would give you loads of good will from people and, if successful, improve the physical environment people ride/move through. I believe we really should think of ourselves not only as marketers and consumers but also as citizens.

Back