Surly Disc Trucker Build

Thanks! I was originally looking at Surlys (I used to have a Long Haul Trucker) but the frames I was interested in don't take suspension forks. But seeing your bike, I am considering looking again at Surlys and other steel frames w/o suspension.
How are you liking your bike? Are you happy with your frame choice and no suspension?
Would you mind posting pics? :eek:

jakejake said:
Thanks! I was originally looking at Surlys (I used to have a Long Haul Trucker) but the frames I was interested in don't take suspension forks. But seeing your bike, I am considering looking again at Surlys and other steel frames w/o suspension.
How are you liking your bike? Are you happy with your frame choice and no suspension?
Would you mind posting pics? :eek:

I haven't ridden it yet. The project got put on hold the last couple of months due to a job change and moving out of the apartment I kept for work up in the Bay Area. I am working from home on this contract. I will probably be able to work on the bike again in the next week or so assuming my wife doesn't object to having it setup in the middle of the living room (some things were easier when I had a separate apartment).

jakejake said:
This is basically the exact build that I was thinking of doing with a GMAC. I wasn't sure if I was gonna start with a frame and buy everything separately or if I should just buy a complete bike. Some bikes I had in mind were:

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-adventure-725/
https://www.brodiebicycles.com/2018-torque
https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/2019-mountain-hardtail-trail-27.5-plus-pine-mountain-1

How did your bike turn out? It was looking amazing and has me motivated to get on it. Any words of wisdom to impart before I begin?

Thanks!

I can't recommend starting with just a frame as I did, unless you want a very specific build. It takes a lot more money and time to do a frame up build. I could have built two bikes for the cost of this one and have been done a long time ago if I had started with a complete used bike. I have another LHT (non-disc) that I bought as complete bike that I really love. However, it has drop bars and a triple in the front. I wanted an upright bike with this build. I also considered using a 1X11 drive train, but ended up with with a double just because of the difficulty finding a crankset with a large single chainring.

Ah thanks. What will be the total cost, if you don't mind?
Good luck with the rest of the build! Keep us informed.

jakejake said:
Ah thanks. What will be the total cost, if you don't mind?
Good luck with the rest of the build! Keep us informed.

North of $4K. I haven't bothered to add up the cost of all the parts. The battery, satiator, and GMAC kit were $2K. I already had bicycle tools, but you may need to factor in the cost of those as well.

K.
I was hoping to keep everything close to 3K - but you're gonna end up with a stunner!

mexican_amigo said:
How did things go with your Surly Disc Trucker build?

Still haven't moved it forward much. I set it up in my family room to work on it and had to order an adapter for the brakes. That came in, but I got pulled into some other projects. My wife is starting to complain about the bike in the family room though, so I do need to finish it.

Back