Tempted to lick my 50 volt battery

Dauntless said:
Isn't that higher voltage at lower amperage? Our 125v is at 20a.
Ah, what IS that Shakespeare line about a Man's tongue melts from trying too hard to be a gentleman?
Yeah, domestic sockets (outlets) are nominally 13A x 230V, fused in the plug. More watts.
Huge plugs that stab you in the foot when you tread on them at night with insulated conductors that you can't touch live and a longer earth that opens shutters on the outlet to allow access to the connectors, most outlets are switched, down for on.
Normal domestic ring main is 32A supplying it, 100A into the house though 3 phase is available pretty easily for EV etc
Generally we have RCDs on all mains now though I've yet to put it in to my flat though it's booked and became law a week ago
plug.JPG

Not sure anyone who cooks their chook with probes in the breast is a gent, with or without melted silver shakespeare tongue

E-HP said:
BobBob said:
Could have hooked it up to a 67V batt or 240V mains I guess but too late, it went in a wrap for lunch

There are limits on what sacrifices are made in the name of science. Of course, at 240V, it might be a novel way of reheating your food :lol:
240V 330 K ohm, 0.175 watt heater anyone nah, the microwave is faster

As someone who has taken 125 volts of RC lipo power to the hand, i would suggest alternate methods of risking your death for the lulz.

i say if it's less safe than smoking crack cocaine, it's not worth doing even for stupid fun.

neptronix said:
As someone who has taken 125 volts of RC lipo power to the hand, i would suggest alternate methods of risking your death for the lulz.

i say if it's less safe than smoking crack cocaine, it's not worth doing even for stupid fun.
Hmm, so, logically, if it is more safe does this make it worth doing?

Has anyone heard of someone killing themselves via electricution from an ebike battery?
I expect a bunch of people have got burnt, set things on fire, got hit in the eye by bits of molten metal etc but died from electricution?
There will also be examples of people who electricuted themselves with 60V but we are a bit of a different breed I reckon. Most of us have probably shorted a battery out, blown some wires up, made ourselves jump and treat the buggers with some caution.

Fully floating power? You'd have to grab a wire in each hand, with wet hands unless you have a weak heart or are particularly unlucky.

I reckon Crack is more likely to kill you or at least you're more likely to get hooked on it and it's a lot more expensive and less socially acceptable I think.

The wood carvers circular saw style blade for a grinder is terrifying. Chainsaws, a can of petrol, Guns are dangerous
Angle grinder saw.JPG
Playing golf may be more dangerous than 150V ebike batteries due to the chance of lightning strikes vs battery electrocution but am happy to be proven wrong. Cars running you over are more dangerous, falling off is more dangerous.

Caveat, I'm a professional something, old yet alive, This is just for fun and banter, do not take this as a suggestion to lick your angle grinder or play golf.

Nah, you want one of these - perfectly legal in S.Africa !
I wonder whether you could get a similar effect with a dead short on your ebike
[youtube]aLhWzMOccTg[/youtube]

What a crazy thread title, expecially with the tremendous current our batteries can deliver. I felt a little tingle when riding in the rain once on one of my 31s bikes. I don't think it was my imagination, though I never discovered a short to the frame, but it made me nervous as hell the rest of the way home. I was imagining going rigid from electricity at 50mph. It wasn't an issue with the battery or power mains, so I started insulating the controllers and DC/DC converters from my frames since then.

That is why the thread moved to Other Toxic Discussions.
There are a lot of people out in society with very little to zero common sense, I can see people licking their batteries while snapping selfies to post on Facebook, Twitter or Tic Tok. Its alright to ask the question, but to be "tempted to lick 50v battery" would be shock factor to get people to read the thread as I doubt Hummina Shadeeba would actually go through with it, even wasting a hot dog or chicken. Hummina realizes there are children starving in Africa so thats why he doesnt do it. Which is why he hasnt responded, yet with pictures.

John in CR said:
What a crazy thread title, expecially with the tremendous current our batteries can deliver.

fechter said:

nice find. that’s a blown up tongue at 240 ac but with ac begin somehow more able to cut through the body it's not a satisfying revealer at 50v
neptronix said:
you have any pics? there was a pic posted on here years ago of a supposedly blown up hand from 72v connectors shorting when he plugged them in i think is what he said. i think it was a fake halloween hand. im looking for some pics.

if the fuses or breakers lets say were 20a for 120v and 13A x 230V, as they were said to commonly be, and all the available power flowed through and the fuses were tripped/triggered, the higher voltage is more wattage, but less current,..which will do more blowing up of the tongue?
i figure the higher voltage will allow a higher current flow, but with them both being current limited the higher voltage is nulified and 120v outlet could blow you up worse, assuming the tongue resistance is so low 120v will cut it easily enough to hit the 20a. then again i dont see any fuses inside the plug for 120v while i think standard for 230. i imagine either would have no trouble getting through a dry hand and of course a tonque

feet.jpg

Entry burn at the hand, exit burn at the foot.

And, what that amperage does to you. The AC and DC voltage can cause different arrhythmia but they're both bad.

I've always understood that the voltage is the width and the amperage is the pressure. You could get hit by a bigger and bigger pillow, but it remains limited. A more solid object is what becomes a problem.

Electrical-shock.jpg

Nah, it's the other way round (just running with it ok). The voltage is the pressure and the curent is the width, you got to have the pressure to get through the skin but a big bore will kill you and a needle just sting
High volts from an electric fence stings and high amps without high amps (car battery) just tingles but high volts n amps is danger

If you're going to stick your hand on live power, I was taught you stand on your right foot and have your other hand behind your back.
Always touch the potentially dangerous wire / metal / exposed metal with the back of your finger first as you will twitch away from the voltage (those muscles are stronger)
Chap who taught me this said electricity tends to kill people who don't know about it and I gotta say I never heard of anyone standing on one foot with a hand behind their back getting killed by electricity

I've had plenty of 240V shocks before we had RCDs and quite a few since, never broke the skin or burnt.
Certainly made me jump a few times.

Thing is, it's so dependent on how dry your skin is and the path it takes.

I guess now we're on toxic I can mention I found there can be drawbacks to the one foot approach when angle grinding wet concrete (keeps the dust down) with my 240V Dewalt.
It kept zapping me from where the switch got wet but I made sure I wasn't holding it with both hands, that I was standing on one leg with a hand behind my back and had my partner, who was spraying me with water with the hose was ready to hit me with a broom.
Kinda balancing the risks but not ideal for control of the blade but it I didn't get electrocuted n I got a nice flat floor.
Anyway, she's first aid trained n can do resus

Hummina Shadeeba said:
fechter said:

nice find. that’s a blown up tongue at 240 ac but with ac begin somehow more able to cut through the body it's not a satisfying revealer at 50v
My guess is that it arced - big bang like you get on metal, poor little bugger
Hummina Shadeeba said:
neptronix said:
you have any pics? there was a pic posted on here years ago of a supposedly blown up hand from 72v connectors shorting when he plugged them in i think is what he said. i think it was a fake halloween hand. im looking for some pics.

if the fuses or breakers lets say were 20a for 120v and 13A x 230V, as they were said to commonly be, and all the available power flowed through and the fuses were tripped/triggered, the higher voltage is more wattage, but less current,..which will do more blowing up of the tongue?
yeah, more importantly, the higher voltage will overcome resistance better
Hummina Shadeeba said:
i figure the higher voltage will allow a higher current flow, but with them both being current limited the higher voltage is nulified and 120v outlet could blow you up worse, assuming the tongue resistance is so low 120v will cut it easily enough to hit the 20a.
Tricky to lower your tongue resistance that far. if you're against stabbing the probes into the tongue than some sort of salt lick might be needed -I'll give it a go
Hummina Shadeeba said:
then again i dont see any fuses inside the plug for 120v while i think standard for 230. i imagine either would have no trouble getting through a dry hand and of course a tonque
To get the fuse through the dry hand you will need more velocity or to sharpen it

Using water to help keep the dust down cutting concrete and you were getting zapped by the switch getting wet on your bare hands, gloves would have helped you not get zapped. Watching a few of the tool take apart videos, there are different kinds or shall I say styles of switches that tool manufacturers use. Your 240V Dewalt was probably the type of tool that switched full power on and off right through the switch itself and depending on the age of the tool, the amount of dust it has ingested over the years, the quality of switch itself, and the abuse the tool has taken would all factor into your tool shock. I like what that one popular youtuber ave in British Columbia comments on about the switch itself, he says its like an 800 lb gorilla moving a delicate switch. He has taken apart many a power tool and comments on all aspects from the plastics used, to the tool molds to the worker grinding plastic and grinding tool mold.

BobBob said:
If you're going to stick your hand on live power, I was taught you stand on your right foot and have your other hand behind your back.
Always touch the potentially dangerous wire / metal / exposed metal with the back of your finger first as you will twitch away from the voltage (those muscles are stronger)
Chap who taught me this said electricity tends to kill people who don't know about it and I gotta say I never heard of anyone standing on one foot with a hand behind their back getting killed by electricity
I've had plenty of 240V shocks before we had RCDs and quite a few since, never broke the skin or burnt.
Certainly made me jump a few times.
Thing is, it's so dependent on how dry your skin is and the path it takes.
I guess now we're on toxic I can mention there can be drawbacks to this approach when angle grinding some wet concrete (keeps the dust down) with my 240V Dewalt.
It kept zapping me from where the switch got wet but I made sure I wasn't holding it with both hands, that I was standing on one leg with a hand behind my back and had my partner spraying water with the hose whilst ready to hit me with a broom.
Kinda balancing the risks but not ideal for control of the blade but it I didn't get electrocuted n I got a nice flat floor

markz said:
Using water to help keep the dust down cutting concrete and you were getting zapped by the switch getting wet on your bare hands, gloves would have helped you not get zapped. Watching a few of the tool take apart videos, there are different kinds or shall I say styles of switches that tool manufacturers use. Your 240V Dewalt was probably the type of tool that switched full power on and off right through the switch itself and depending on the age of the tool, the amount of dust it has ingested over the years, the quality of switch itself, and the abuse the tool has taken would all factor into your tool shock. I like what that one popular youtuber ave in British Columbia comments on about the switch itself, he says its like an 800 lb gorilla moving a delicate switch. He has taken apart many a power tool and comments on all aspects from the plastics used, to the tool molds to the worker grinding plastic and grinding tool mold.
Enough dust I wound up vacuuming the ceiling - clear stripes
The gloves effectiveness problem was entirely down to my other half who had a hose turned on, spraying me, there was ongoing "discussion" between yelps regarding aiming the hose at the work rather than everything else
Perhaps a drysuit, vet's glove or a more holistic approach might have worked better
body protection.JPG
The grinder was around 3 yrs old so pretty new, and though fairly well used, never abused
I did take it apart but it seemed fine, just not waterproof which was a bit dissapointing.
One of the problems was that it was all plastic and double insulated so rather than shorting to earth and tripping the RCD, I got half a dozen zaps without a pause
Tricky to switch off, which was not ideal, whacking it on things while holding it at arms length near the cable and being sprayed by a hose.

Do not swallow a button battery, its very moist in the throat, and of course moisture conducts electricity.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/button-battery-edmonton-medicine-hat-1.6038733
Two Medicine Hat parents are warning about the dangers of button batteries after their two-year-old swallowed one and burned a hole in her throat.

Sheldon and Victoria Akers had to take their daughter, Abigail, to the doctor several times before the button battery was found.

Abigail had a cough initially and doctors thought the toddler had croup, then strep throat, then pneumonia. The battery was found after an X-ray. By then she was struggling to breathe.

Poor kid
I think swallowing a 50 volt bike battery would be more difficult to do by mistake

Hummina Shadeeba said:
Think will get much more current than the c-rating tells if practically shorting through the low resistance of my tongue

I think it’s as low as 50 milliamperes needed to possibly kill if the current is across the heart. Maybe with a large enough current even if I just touch the terminals to my tongue, it will still have part of the current across my heart and possibly kill me and I definitely dont want that of course so need to do the math. Newd to figure the resistance of a common tongue and if the current will use my whole body and possibly kill me or possibly leave me unrecoverably charred.

And then I’m also going to confirm everything with a chicken before going any further to be safe. Definitely don’t want a charred tongue.

I didn't see any folllowups after the chicken test. Did you lick it?

Is licking the standard small 9v a pretty dull event because the battery sags or is that a true 9v of pressure and subsequent current flow I’m feeling. I’m not feeling much. Im doing baby steps to 50v based on feelings and possibility of permanent charing

Hummina Shadeeba said:
Is licking the standard small 9v a pretty dull event because the battery sags or is that a true 9v of pressure and subsequent current flow I’m feeling. I’m not feeling much. Im doing baby steps to 50v based on feelings and possibility of permanent charing
Due to the high resistance, there's minimal sag - you could zap yourself through an ammeter to prove this
If you manage to get the probes stuck in your tongue, they may get past the layer of high resistance skin so probably achieve much higher current - again measureable though the stabbing feeling may outweigh the electrocution so objectivity might suffer.
Interestingly there is an electrical acupuncture system that uses "9V current" https://acuproclinic.co.uk/acupuncture/electric-acupuncture with variable frequency and apparently it is not dangerous but you shouldn't electroacupuncture accross the midline of your body so perhaps along rather than accross the tongue is safer - apparently you should only use someone appropriately trained which is perhaps the most difficult challenge.

Back