The keto thread

[youtube]L1lcrfQZJ20[/youtube]

Here's an interesting story about transitioning cats and dogs to their native diet and what the results are. Interesting shit.

Here is a video i filmed yesterday about one of the benefits of eating liver for depression or any mental health issue that is stoked by b12 deficiency. Hopefully this helps someone here as much as it helped me.

[youtube]ToR6o1v7keU[/youtube]

I perform better endurance activities on a fast but admittedly limiting food (especially carbs) does impact my lifting. The problem is that I just don't cut weight very easily and tend to add it in the belly. I'm willing to accept a slower muscle growth in return for keeping it lean.
I'm also still recovering from shoulder surgery so I'm keeping progression linear but slow to give it time. It was only last week I could deadlift at my bodyweight, not exactly a feat of strength.

I do use some BCAAs before my workout to make sure my muscles have something to run on. Again it's low gycemic and very few calories.

If you are recovering from shoulder surgery, the arm bike is the thing to do.

I successfully healed my shoulder after a major bike crash in 2011 using the thing religiously for 4 years, based on one of my crazy theories. It worked. Before the arm bike, i could barely handle enough pressure on that car to steer a car.

I do what the ketogains guys recommend... TKD.. and then eat my regular diet as usual.
Since my diet is ~80% meat i don't think i'd benefit from BCAAs or protein powders so i don't bother using that.

Here is something interesting i encountered on reddit that you might find interesting. One of many articles about this guy..

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/nn9xzg/charles-eugster-fittest-oap-on-planet

The Healthiest Old Person on the Planet Explains How to Stay in Shape

charles-eugster-fittest-oap-on-planet-1460385811.png

What do you eat to stay in shape?
Variety is key. I start every day with a protein shake because, as you get older, your protein synthesis no longer functions as well. I avoid sugar and eat lots of meat, especially fat. I've been on a fat trip lately. Fat! Piles of fat. Yet, I was in a supermarket the other day and was perplexed to find yogurt with zero fat. What on earth is that? The idea of the nutrition pyramid where, at the top, is a little fat and meat, and at the bottom a lot of carbohydrates, is, excuse me, bullshit. Humans are so unbelievably stupid that we have begun to tinker with food. Our theories of nutrition have resulted in a pandemic of obesity. Can you imagine a hunter-gatherer enjoying a low-fat yogurt? Let me tell you this, too: I read a report recently which said that a fatty diet also increases your libido.

So the guy has been eating a high fat, high meat diet for god knows how long. He lived to 97; 1 year longer than his meat phobic American counterpart, Jack Lalanne.

Here is a talk from him at age 93. There is a fun low carb joke at the end...

[youtube]rGgoCm1hofM[/youtube]

I'm over here thinking... man, i want to live like this guy did :shock:

I'm fortunate in that I was very physically active before injury then under the care of a physiotherapist right away before and after surgery. Some motions still aren't great but strength I'd coming back enough to be windsurfing and motorcycling. It just tires and gets inflamed easily, but low carb helps with that.

One of the most active older windsurfers I know swears by keto, including through several bouts with chemotherapy.

Fun facts.

Today i learned that Michael Greger never actually practiced medicine in a clinic. He graduated medical school but never completed his residency.

McDougall actually completed medical school and his residency but only worked as a physician for a small hawaiian sugar plantation for 3 years.

Robert Atkins immediately began practicing cardiology after his residency from 1959 to 1966, when he converted his independent cardiology practice in the Upper East Side of New York into an obesity clinic after finding out about the benefits of low carb himself. He also became one of the first big advocates of vitamin supplementation and wrote many books on vitamins. ( i have one )

Too bad they won't bother to read the methodology or the entirety of the paper which the news article is based on. They might find the common admission that the science is actually inconclusive or used low quality data, pretty much every time.

About 90% of diet science, regardless of whose position it supports ( yes, i have even seen garbage science in favor of keto ), is unscientific garbage, but when names like 'Harvard' get attached, it's time to stop thinking and accept what academia has to say because they're academia and all.. :shock:

Brussel sprouts are the shit, especially if they are cooked with bacon fat, sprinkled with bacon and cheese..
One of the most keto meals you could ever devise.

Here's what i had today. Wild salmon on a bed of cauliflower rice, with eggs, tamari sauce, and crushed seaweed on top.

A dish i call 'poor man's keto japanese food'

IMG_20190611_203706371.jpg

Y'all down for some shitty keto memes?

Attachments

• gbt0odts0ov21.jpg
    gbt0odts0ov21.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 3,480
There's an interesting trend of a lot of popular youtube vegans going full carnivore. And there is a huge backlash going on amongst the 'true scotsman' vegans versus the 'fake ones'. Interesting development.

2019-06-13 12_33_02-Why I'm No Longer Vegan response - YouTube - Brave.jpg

So this article mentions antiepileptic and antiseizure drugs as increasing the risk of dementia. The Keto diet owes its resurgence to the use in replacing such drugs and effectiveness in reducing seizures.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/24/health/dementia-risk-drug-study/index.html

Interesting stuff, and no surprise that these drugs end in long term harms. Some of these drugs screw with the acetlycholine system, and acetylcholine is critical for the memory. Dopaminergic drugs have some of the same problems - people who take adderal and other amphetamine-like drugs end up with 8x the chance for dopamine receptor based illnesses like parkinsons.

A diet that is full of brain supporting nutrients does seem to work better than a lot of these drugs. If you scroll up a bit ( maybe a page back ), you'll see a picture of me with a woman who was once diagnosed as bipolar, who is now free from the illness. I know a shit ton of people who do carnivore/keto for mental health, not for weight loss or weight management.

By the way, i run a keto group in MeWe called 'ketogenic libertarians'. It's not really a political group - just oriented towards those who don't lean to the left or right too strongly. Give it a look if you have any interest:

https://mewe.com/group/5c910bfe2e6bfb75ca6bac99

neptronix said:
I used to think rice was healthy until i read about the arsenic in it and looked at the vitamin content in it, versus a megavitamin food like pork liver or brussel sprouts. Brown rice is the most nutritious but also comes with more arsenic and more phytic acid, which reduces nutrient absorption. When it is processed into white rice, it loses all of it's nutritional value. So in either scenario, you are not exactly winning the vitamin lottery.

The value of rice is mostly in the carbohydrates myself, but i try to avoid carbohydrates at all costs, so when i eat vegetables, they have to be the most nutrient dense ones.
Yeah I know that rice lacks vitamins and is mostly just for carbs, but I am taking an interest in energy-rich diets (but not your take away/processed foods).
I have been realising that less "food volume" is very good to lower acid reflux, because the less stuff your body has to process the less the digestive system gets generally clogged/slowed down which for me seems to cause more acid reflux than anything else.

Like children, I instinctively really like sweet food and after so many years my body have come to expect it, so looking for naturally sweet foods I can put into my diet that are actually nutritious. I think the instinct of attraction to sweet foods shouldn't be ignored, just has to be natural, this is my goal anyway.
I really like sweet potato, it's sweet and actually has lots of vitamins (vits C B), unlike regular potatoes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_potato#Nutrient_content

All up I am probably better just eating more sweet potato than rice.

Broccoli is very nutritious but not very sweet tasting, but it's incredibly low in carbs at the same time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broccoli#Nutrition

I actually made my first broccoli mash the other day for my meal prep, it wasn't bad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cFHEH_9wbU

I been looking at various broccoli mash recipes.
My one was steamed broccoli and potatoes mashed with shredded cheese, butter, garlic paste, and some herbs, salt/pepper. Wasn't bad.
I realized if you take out the potatoes it becomes quite keto.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Broccoli+mash
There weren't many people using sweet potato, I tried white potato but I actually think I would enjoy it more with sweet potato.
This boiled egg broccoli mash looks interesting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0uHEY3_F5E

I have been eating broccoli mash with chicken breast.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I saw this video on the idea of "flexible meal prep", where you precook/prepare foods and store them separately to put together later. While she is prepping some pretty fancy foods beyond what I see my self doing I think the general idea of flexible meal prep is a good idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmdITEguAnE
[youtube]vmdITEguAnE[/youtube]

TheBeastie said:
I have been realising that less "food volume" is very good to lower acid reflux, because the less stuff your body has to process the less the digestive system gets generally clogged/slowed down which for me seems to cause more acid reflux than anything else.

Scads of people say that acid reflux goes away when they start a ketogenic or full carnivore diet. I haven't got to the bottom of why it works so well myself, but maybe food volume is related.

I've been eating mostly carnivore lately and as i edged up the meat from 50% to 90% of my diet, i had some weird acid reflux like symptoms that eventually went away. I believe this has to do with the fact that my stomach acid, bile, etc weren't prepared. It took a while for them to level up... after some weeks, i'm back to the usual perfect digestion - 2 meals a day, one trip to the bathroom, and no farting - the opposite of the vegetarian/vegan diet experience... :lol:

TheBeastie said:
Like children, I instinctively really like sweet food and after so many years my body have come to expect it, so looking for naturally sweet foods I can put into my diet that are actually nutritious. I think the instinct of attraction to sweet foods shouldn't be ignored, just has to be natural, this is my goal anyway.

I really like sweet potato, it's sweet and actually has lots of vitamins (vits C B), unlike regular potatoes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_potato#Nutrient_content

You'd be surprised at how much your hormones and gut bacteria influence your food cravings. I ate carbohydrates as a majority of my diet, and despite the fact that type 2 diabetes was killing me, my body and mind kept telling me.. eat more carbs..

Now, i crave meat, cheese, butter, green veg.. except i don't have an out of control appetite anymore. I just eat for sustenance... because the hormonal action of dietary carbohydrate is not in play.

This would be a typical meal for me:
steak_broccoli_grande.png

Sweet potatoes aren't so bad from a nutrition perspective.. it's a shame they have too many carbs to fit into a keto diet.

TheBeastie said:
I saw this video on the idea of "flexible meal prep", where you precook/prepare foods and store them separately to put together later. While she is prepping some pretty fancy foods beyond what I see my self doing I think the general idea of flexible meal prep is a good idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmdITEguAnE
[youtube]vmdITEguAnE[/youtube]

Nice, i kinda settled into a routine like that, except my meals are a lot simpler. Yesterday, i cooked 8 eggs, a small pot of pinto beans, and 4 pounds of ground meat. That's brunch for the next 6 days.

Meal prep is the best way to eat healthy and avoid processed foods, but also avoid all the cleanup and startup time of making each meal individually. You're production lining your own food.. :)

Check this out. Results from a multi year clinical trial of a ketogenic diet for type 2 diabetes. Likely the most expensive and comprehensive trial ever done on the diet. Monumental!

https://medium.com/@JPMcCarter/the-...ter-150-000-days-of-patient-care-9502383d4e8c

In 2015, Virta Health and Indiana University Health (IUH) began caring for hundreds of patients with type 2 diabetes (T2D) using a ketogenic diet combined with continuous remote care guided behavior change. We recently published the study 2-year outcomes in Frontiers in Endocrinology showing diabetes reversal in the majority of patients, sharp reductions in medication use and overall metabolic improvement from weight loss to reduction in hypertension. The American Diabetes Association has changed their 2019 standards of care and dietary consensus statement based on our results and other published trials to incorporate individualized carbohydrate restriction including nutritional ketosis for patients with T2D.

I been eating salad (mainly spinach) with tuna and cheese.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinach#Nutrients Decent nutrition in spinache
this is quite keto for me.

I bought that "Dropping Acid" book last year, its OK but its recommended dishes aren't simple to make.
It does have a recommended foods list based on acidity and that has helped.

I'm glad 'dropping acid' worked for you. I imagine the most important thing you could get out of that book is what foods to eliminate etc. My theory is that some of the acids in certain foods modify or poison the stomach acid.

In fact there are tons of poisons in vegetables that we don't think about. Some of us are more susceptible than others. Having a peanut or soy allergy is a living nightmare. Rarely is anyone allergic to an animal product - eggs and dairy are common offenders.... meat seems to be the closest thing to a universally safe food.

Spinach is pretty decent but the iron cannot be absorbed very well, and it contains a huge load of oxalate, which interferes with mineral absorption ( which negates the nutrients in it! ), and in some cases, the oxalates can bioaccumulate and become toxic. So just watch out for that if you eat a lot!

If you have some time, i think these vids might be interesting to you. The case against vegetables being the most healthy things possible.

[youtube]i7ArmIYGH0s[/youtube]

[youtube]YdRBFiBWQZQ[/youtube]

[youtube]Jq38E1J4YAg[/youtube]

Back