The keto thread

markz said:
I have lost a few belt notches and had to make my own holes
:D

Congrats!! surely you had some ebike tools laying around to do so.
I have a belt i've had since i started, and it shows the history of my 100lbs loss in the form of how it warped etc. I'll upload a pic later.

Lots of ebike stuff, lots and lots :thumb:
neptronix said:
Congrats!! surely you had some ebike tools laying around to do so.

I would normally just drill it, but I did have a leather hole punch I purchased for $1.25 from CRAP-O-RAMA where their slogan should be "Where nothing lasts" or "Everyday is welfare day, thats why we're so busy"
marty said:
Leather belt? Hole punch same as you use for sheet metal? Heat nail with propane torch and burn a hole? Awl? How ya make hole?

Anyone tried Shirataki noodles?
Found it on some list, but been told they dont taste too good.

Maybe find a zuchinni spiral recipe or something.

lots of eggs for me
tenderloin

even the low carb bread is not good for keto, the lowest I found was 11g per slice.

Shirataki noodles aren't too bad. They're another one of those not so digestible keto substitute foods that are OK for bridging the gap between prior eating habits and your new reality.

They're allright when drenched in the right sauce :thumb:

I've fallen off the wagon for the last week and a bit due to some external factors. Haven't really gained any weight but holy crap am I feeling the inflammation.

I don't really crave noodles anymore but I miss chow mein sometimes. It just isn't great with zoodles etc. Likewise I don't mind cauliflower for most things but can't stand it as rice.

I mainly use variations on the Fathead bread recipe. It's extremely low carb. I like the ones with a touch of yeast which makes them lighter and also adds some flavor.

OMG, the crap that mainstream media continues to pull is outrageous.

The doctor interviewed is a member of an organization that's funded by barilla pasta, several vegan propaganda groups, vegan food producers, etc.

The article is written in a way that it appears balanced, using a couple solid facts, then proceeds with a lot of mistruths that wouldn't be easy for a newcomer to sniff out.

Snaky shit, but not unheard of from the mainstream media at all.

I went to Mr Sub awhile ago, and had their Keto bread for my sub, they keep it refrigerated.
I then decided to roam around a granola tree hugger "organic" grocery store to see what offerings they had, figured best chance is there rather then a major main stream grocery store. Reading the food label, bread in general is bad for carbs, flax, chia, almond flour. Then I figured why not tortilla's but not even the whole wheat ones had any significant carb savings. I like the alternatives, using a leaf to wrap meat in, zuchini pasta strings, I even bought a package of Shirataki Noodles which were tasteless but like tofu absorbs flavors and was totally eatible by itself, but the only place that sells Shirataki is T&T asian supermarkets, which non are near me.

neptronix said:
Me and my wife cheated at an indian restaurant, and it felt worse than any other cheat we've ever done. I realized that the food was very similar to my holier than thou vegetarian diet, since i'd based my diet then around this idealistic view of Indian vegetarianism, like many clueless westerners are ought to do.

[youtube]i53VYK1Elcw[/youtube]

Side note: ketogenic diets are exploding in popularity in India as of writing. So it's interesting that they are also undergoing a shift in mentality over there as well.

i'd just add the caviate that it may not be the diet itself, but could easily be one of many other things - bad indian itself, your gut not being used to that food, food just being too rich etc etc - attributing it to the food types itself is jumping the gun imho. Not to say keto isn't still good, just pointing out it may not have been the food groups itself that made you feel rough.

Im moving back towards keto (or atleast minimal carb/no sugar) myself. Best I've ever felt was having a near full carnivore diet - mostly steak/lamb with some simple roast veg (capsicum and zucchini mainly). I dont have issues anythign near IBS but man does the plumbing work well on that diet, despite the near absence of fibre. A couple of job changes etc have meant ive gone back to the quick and easy stuff, and man do I ever feel tired now... coffee dependence has gone way up. Will be interesting to see how i can maintain it since its likely my job is gonna have me living in France for a few years - and i do like my almond croissants and iced coffee.

neptronix said:
OMG, the crap that mainstream media continues to pull is outrageous.

The doctor interviewed is a member of an organization that's funded by barilla pasta, several vegan propaganda groups, vegan food producers, etc.

The article is written in a way that it appears balanced, using a couple solid facts, then proceeds with a lot of mistruths that wouldn't be easy for a newcomer to sniff out.

Snaky shit, but not unheard of from the mainstream media at all.

Its CNN. I really dont need to say anymore do I?

My only issue with Keto is too much counting, and with such calorie dense stuff in the diet it was too easy to take in too many calories. I'm going to do a strict Whole 30 with a heavy Keto influence to get my system back on track. I'll kick it off with a weekend fast and then 30 days of nothing from the forbidden list. It's easy to do anything for 30 days.

neptronix said:
Shirataki noodles aren't too bad. They're another one of those not so digestible keto substitute foods that are OK for bridging the gap between prior eating habits and your new reality.

They're allright when drenched in the right sauce :thumb:

Keto Friendly Sauce

125423760_218729333005036_1726377744188125957_n.jpg

I am down for trying out Keto, which I am starting today.
I will also try out the 14 hour fasting.
The other option is just having 2 meals a day (if not just 1 big meal a day) and zero snacks.

Grocery shopping for my keto food, I noticed hams are very low and sometimes zero carbs. :thumb:
Eggs are good so I bought lots of eggs.
I figure I need to find a bread substitute or shall I say food holding food as bread/wraps are. Large greeny leafs seems suitable.
Interesting enough, I only once tried a Keto bread offered by Mr. Sub (Subway competitor) and the bread was pretty dry.

I made a spreadsheet of keto-friendly foods for when I go grocery shopping, but my Linux o/s isnt treating any of my 2 printers well, I cant print. Which leaves me another month stuck on Linux with a Windows ISO file ready to rock, but no bootable converters are working using Linux o/s.

The biggest key to success for me is to have prepared meals, and most importantly prepared snacks in tupper-ware containers. As last night I gorged on a ton of carbs, late at night which is a double wammy no no.

Ketone Urine Test Strips are available at the local drug store for $9.50cdn + 5%GST and no PST in Alberta :p
for a package of 50 behind the counter and no prescription required.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keto Diet Day 1
The plan is to fast for 14 hrs, which means I can eat at 5 or 6pm and I don't think I can hold out that long. So its only a 12 hr fast today.

Sausages will be eaten since I bought a large amount of them, and maybe some ham as mustard is keto-friendly too.
I will have to stuff myself silly at dinner time.

Beverages will be easy to deal with, Soda Water aka Club Soda aka Sparkling Water, though mine is all plain and not flavoured. I know I am allowed lemon and lime juice on keto.

Work out routine will have to planned. Thinking about situps, pushups, walks, install chain on bike and pedal. The key words there are "thinking about" :lol: :wink:
Tbh ebiking with no chain was actually quite a workout sometimes, more so when I was doing steep hills and single track where I had to get off and on the bike.

Will look into buying some of those keto strips to find out my keto # on a daily basis. More research (Googling) on that.

Congrats on you for getting started.. you sound well informed.

The one piece of advice i find missing from all keto manuals is to supplement electrolytes.
..this is the reason why most people fail on a keto diet after feeling lethargic and having crappy digestion.

You need 4000mg of potassium a day and a keto diet without supplementation gets you about 1000mg..

I supplement with bulk potassium citrate.. a spoonful in a big drink is fine by me.

neptronix said:
The one piece of advice i find missing from all keto manuals is to supplement electrolytes.
..this is the reason why most people fail on a keto diet after feeling lethargic and having crappy digestion.

You need 4000mg of potassium a day and a keto diet without supplementation gets you about 1000mg..

I supplement with bulk potassium citrate.. a spoonful in a big drink is fine by me.

Oh, thanks for the reminder. Just in the last week something has mysteriously gone sour and that could be my problem. I think I'll go grab a Powerade and see how I feel later.

Doing keto for a week now and it seems to be working fine, just need to add working out to the diet.

edit - Been having some good success on the keto diet, 25lbs and not really paying much attention to intake, counting or macro's. I literally have no appetite and can fast for a full day a minimal snack in the evening. I would have never of guessed that my appetite would have been so suppressed, its pretty amazing actually from a carb heavy guy who eat all the time. I watched 5-8hrs on youtube on keto, look at labels and have my go to meals I make.

edit2 - Lost 45lbs now, seem to have hit a wall in terms of losing weight, eating much less now, eating more salads. Will have to analyze what I am eating now, could be eating to much fat where body burns off excess fat from food instead of body, or to little fat, not enough protein.
I believe carb intake is well under control, but maybe the balsamic vinegar has some surprises, I haven't looked at its food label yet.

Dr. Berg on youtube has some good videos on Keto, in the beginning I mostly watched his stuff because of the yt algorithms on suggested videos to watch. Others, Mark Sisson, Thomas DeLauer, Dr. Sten Ekberg, Dr Dan Maggs

I am not so sure about the Keto diet anymore after watching a bunch of Plant Based News video's on Youtube. I mean yeah sure I lost a ton of weight on the Keto diet, about 55 lbs in total now.

Veganism seems to be popular now to, but I dont see no benefit in the fake meats they push.

Just so much mixed messages out there.

They can get any study to say anything. Heck I even watched a Doctors TV show where two cardiologists couldnt agree. One doc says yea to eggs, another says nay. Whats to believe?

I like the Galen Foundation video's.

I have a feeling i won't convince you to stay on keto. But i'll try anyway.

There's only mixed messages because a majority of research on human nutrition is either fraudulent or too poor in quality (example: epidemeological studies that don't control for any factor) to trust as a source of truth. The diet guru world is mostly made up of people that don't know the difference. Therefore, finding a nugget of truth in dietary science is like fishing in a cat litter box for a diamond with the smallest spoon ever made.

I learned about keto through research papers when trying to get to the bottom of why my metabolism was so deeply screwed and no other diet, including veganism, worked for me.

The only misinformation that existed on the keto topic was the medical world repeatedly saying it would make your heart explode. My heart condition actually went away after doing keto. I then found out that medical world had no scientific research to stand on and were just throwing bullshit out there and seeing if it stuck. In fact, the entire case against fat and cholesterol were made based on omitting data ( scientific fraud ).

The vegans told me my diabetes would get worse! yet my diabetes hasn't been clinically measurable or detectable for 8 years!
That claims stand on flimsy or incorrectly done research that was also interpreted incorrectly!

It's even muddier than that now.

So i suggest you do this.
Consider yourself your own science experiment and use your results with any diet experiment to gauge if it's working or not.
Humans have a wide biological variance. The same diet Matt Gruber swears by would kill me. My diet would actually kill "Dr" Greger because he has a genetic inability to metabolize fat properly. Go off your results.

I am still into Keto, its just the Youtube algorithm gave me something to think about and ponder.
So much info out there, so many sponsored and paid for studies out there.

I will still do Keto, but I must say its really been a half ass effort on my part yet I still lost 55lbs.

Back