Tires

Chalo said:
With your bike and rims, I'd start with Cyclops at 30/35psi, and experiment with higher and lower pressures from there. There is a chance that Cyclops will not fit on one end or the other. Use 10-15% less pressure in the front than in the rear, and about 5psi more for every 1/8" reduction in width if you have to use a smaller tire.
Thanks, that is what I I was leaning toward. I really like the Pasela on road bikes, and have a RibMo on antique electric which has the worlds worst wheel change in the rear (nexus 7, roller brake, 2cd drive chain for mid drive, fenders) so I never ever want a flat on that, it'd take an hour. I have CSTs on my Xootr swift and they are fine so far. The lugged 900 seriesTreks seem to have lots of room, I have 1.9s (well preserved Avocet slicks!) on there now and it has at least 1/2" clearance all around.

-dg said:
Pretty clearly the CST Cyclops is the value leader here, and I'm a big believer in value, but do any of the mentioned tires have significant advantages over the Cyclops? The application is an electrified hardtail MTB (early 90s Trek 950) with a heavy but easy on equipment rider on badly maintained city streets, usually with a load of groceries or books or case of beer or suchlike. Rims are Alex DM-24. Speed will be 18 to 25 mph. While puncture resistance is a plus, I rarely flat even on 32 mm 700c Paselas.

The Cyclops is basicly the singleply Hookworm. The Doubleply Hookworm is the more common and expensive one. It uses the same casing Maxxis's other Downhill tires, and will take a hell of a lot of abuse. But for all around value, Its hard to beat the Cyclops. If you haven't had any need for a double casing tire, then the Cyclops really shines.

jkbrigman said:
cero said:
I wil choose between this one 26 x 2,1:
http://www.conti-online.com/www/bicycle_de_en/themes/city/hidden/comfortcontact/comfortcontact_en.html
or this one 26 x 1,60 or even 26 x 1,30:
http://www.conti-online.com/www/bicycle_de_en/themes/city/sportcontact_en.html
Which do you prefer?

I am not impressed by the Continentals. Low inflation pressure and poor selection of sizes. I've switched from a 2" Hemisphere (that's the tire brand for Specialized bikes) down to a 1.5" Schwalbe. I'm doing a long-distance road test this weekend, I'll post numbers as soon as I can.

JKB

I've not tried many different makes of tyres but of the brands I've had since ebiking I couldn't recommend Michelin City Protect. I got a pair of them but took them off the front- they squirmed around too much when it was damp or wet. I'll use them on the back until worn.
I replaced the michelin with a Continental Travel Contact. Lots better than the michelin, no bother with grip up to now. I've covered just over 1000 miles on it and got the only puncture a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't find anything in the tyre but it looked like something thin had went through the protection layer (small hole in top of tube), but it's not too bad a record.

I got the continental at the same time as a well priced Continental Top Contact Winter for the next attack of snow and ice. At the moment I only have one so it will go on the front unless I can get another decently priced one. Has anyone ridden with just one winter tyre fitted?

I keep reading these tyre threads, it will help decide what I try next so thanks to everyone who contributes! Really good personal real life opinions are far better than the ads the companies produce!

alsmith said:
I am not impressed by the Continentals. Low inflation pressure and poor selection of sizes. I've switched from a 2" Hemisphere (that's the tire brand for Specialized bikes) down to a 1.5" Schwalbe. I'm doing a long-distance road test this weekend, I'll post numbers as soon as I can.
JKB

I've posted my results, the Schwalbes KICK ASS.

I've not tried many different makes of tyres but of the brands I've had since ebiking I couldn't recommend Michelin City Protect. I got a pair of them but took them off the front- they squirmed around too much when it was damp or wet. I'll use them on the back until worn.
I replaced the michelin with a Continental Travel Contact. Lots better than the michelin, no bother with grip up to now. I've covered just over 1000 miles on it and got the only puncture a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't find anything in the tyre but it looked like something thin had went through the protection layer (small hole in top of tube), but it's not too bad a record.

I got the continental at the same time as a well priced Continental Top Contact Winter for the next attack of snow and ice. At the moment I only have one so it will go on the front unless I can get another decently priced one. Has anyone ridden with just one winter tyre fitted?

I keep reading these tyre threads, it will help decide what I try next so thanks to everyone who contributes! Really good personal real life opinions are far better than the ads the companies produce!

Don't hold your breath - there's a lot of opinion that gets shoveled around like gospel here about tires. Most people go with a name brand tire and get lucky and don't do anything but buy that tire. Me, I started out with a super-crappy tire and HAD to test just to get the bike to start performing like it should.

I'm a Schwalbe fanboy now, although the CST Cyclops has caught my eye and looks appealing since it's so cheep.

Hi Today i received tires and i have to say that I'm impressed with it's preformance. Grip is incredible as said in specificaions!!! only strange thing about them is somekind of hollow sound, I have to get familliar with.

Back