TSDZ2 on 72v

Prestige

1 W
Hello, is it possible to convert the TSDZ2 engine to 72v? I have a full bike with this voltage and I would like to put this motor in it because the wheel motor runs very poorly off-road. Regards

Caps on the controller are 63v so that's your max without either modding the controller or using a different one. Not heard of anyone changing the caps...

Regardless your biggest problem will be heat, without temp sensor and mods you're asking for trouble putting more power through it (or tbh using it at stock power level)

no and also i dont think theres any mid drive that work with 72v from Factory (OK maybe those lighting rods motor do) so if you're looking for the cheapest route i think its a 72v rear hub motor kit from AliExpress

Hello, I have an engine in the wheel now, but it doesn't work well off-road because the wheel is too heavy. My battery is 20 seconds old, maybe I could use a converter and lower the voltage.
Or maybe tsdz8 will go for 20s? it is definitely more powerful and is said to have a factory output of 1100W.

ikona Zweryfikowane przez społeczność

Last edited:
I've used a buck converter to maintain 60v from a 52v battery and that worked ok, you could try a similar thing with a step down, this looks ok and might work but it's quite big!

1500W 50A Adjustable Step Down Module Stabilized Power Supply 25-90V to 2.5-60V | eBay
Many thanks, I bought it a little cheaper on Aliexpress :) This will be the perfect option because the 22A that the controller draws will be easy work for it.
I also bought it instead of TSDZ2, TSDZ8 is a bit more expensive but apparently much better and stronger in terms of paint.

Attachments

• 1713462865301.png
    1713462865301.png
    312 bytes · Views: 2
  • 1713462925344.png
    1713462925344.png
    312 bytes · Views: 4
Overall, this converter is a gamechanger because there will be no voltage drop and at 5% of the battery, i.e. close to 3v, there will still be full 60v voltage and full Ampere power. So now I'm glad that I decided on a 20s battery because I also made it using high-current 6p Sanyo NSX cells, so they should work for a very long time, not heat up, etc.

Overall, this converter is a gamechanger because there will be no voltage drop and at 5% of the battery, i.e. close to 3v, there will still be full 60v voltage and full Ampere power. So now I'm glad that I decided on a 20s battery because I also made it using high-current 6p Sanyo NSX cells, so they should work for a very long time, not heat up, etc.

View attachment 351375
It's a creative solution that should work OK for lower amperage controllers. Just keep in mind it's efficiency, I think their normally around 85-90%.

How do you propose to apply pedal torque against a motor that spins faster than you can pedal?

In what sense? It will be powered by 60v, which means that the 48v battery was fully charged, so it will simply have full power all the time, so it should work the same.

Back