TSDZ2 OSF for all displays, VLCD5-VLCD6-XH18, LCD3, 860C-850C-SW102.

So which display should be bought which is working with OSF. I have now 860C but it can broke which has happened earliear. I don't like VLCD5 and those smaller ones which are supported.

Unfortunately it is not possible to know the firmware version for LCD3, it is not stored anywhere.
Try checking the display menus with the manual of my latest version (you can find it in the signature).
If the menus are very different, it is probably the v20-beta-1 version of casainho/buba
GitHub - leon927/TSDZ2-Smart-EBike: Flexible OpenSource firmware for TongSheng TSDZ2 mid drive ebike motor and pheriperals
or an even older one.
My display menus does not match the manual in your latest version https://github.com/emmebrusa/TSDZ2-...1C.4-LCD3-3/Wiki.KT.LCD3.TSDZ2.V20.1C.4-2.pdf

I could not find a manual in the leon927 v20-beta-1 link. Unless it's hidden somewhere?

So which display should be bought which is working with OSF. I have now 860C but it can broke which has happened earliear. I don't like VLCD5 and those smaller ones which are supported.
860C for Bafang uart are still flashable.
For the latest version 860C V1.3 I will release an update soon.
The doubt is for 860C with Tonsheng protocol running with stock firmware.
For these I recommend using OSF with Java Configurator and flashing only the motor controller.

OK, I wish OSF. i take the risk :)
I will do the test after the weekend.
If you search the forum, you will find the experience of those who have tried without success. It seems that these versions are missing the bootloader to flash them on the uart port.
If you still want to take the risk, the 860C V1.3 version has yet to be released.

For these I recommend using OSF with Java Configurator and flashing only the motor controller.
Thank you for information.
If you search the forum, you will find the experience of those who have tried without success. It seems that these versions are missing the bootloader to flash them on the uart port.
If you still want to take the risk, the 860C V1.3 version has yet to be released.

OSF on motor controller works with 860c v.1.3 stock version ?
It's possible with the JTAG port ?

Thanks for the link to the manual. Unfortunately it does not match my KT-LCD's menu/ sub menu. For example menu 7/ submenu 1 is Cruise/ set speed to maintain. On my display, menu 7/ submenu 1 is to change motor power 250W/ 500W/ 750W/ 1000W. The kit was sold by Electrifybike July 2019. I contacted them and they sent me a link to an online manual EBC KT-LCD3 for TSDZ2 0.18.2.pdf which to my dismay, also does not match. Electrifybike says they have nothing else.

OSF on motor controller works with 860c v.1.3 stock version ?
I do not understand the question. You wrote:
For me, my 860C v1.3 (6 pin)(stock version) works with a tsdz2B.
Do you have stock firmware or OSF on the motor controller?

It's possible with the JTAG port ?
I don't know if there are pins inside to connect STlink-v2, it's difficult to open the 860C without destroying it.
Also consider that for 860C there is no flashable version on JTAG/SWD.

Mbrusa, I am going over to a friend's house who has a PC to update the firmware of my KT-LCD3 and controller. I see you just released a new version yesterday (with a manual). Release Open source firmware TSDZ2-v20.1C.4-LCD3 update 3 · emmebrusa/TSDZ2-Smart-EBike-LCD3

Should I use the one from yesterday or an older version (must have manual)?
I understand that it is difficult to use LCD3 without a manual.
If you have the ability to upgrade display and motor, it is the best choice.
Yesterday, checking the version of the manual on GitHub, I realized that the firmware was not aligned with the one on the PC (LCD3 is not a priority for me), which is why I released a new version. So use yesterday's.
However, only the engine firmware has changed, not the display one and the manual is updated, only the reference to E07 overcurrent error added yesterday is missing.

I do not understand the question. You wrote:

Do you have stock firmware or OSF on the motor controller?

I don't know if there are pins inside to connect STlink-v2, it's difficult to open the 860C without destroying it.
Also consider that for 860C there is no flashable version on JTAG/SWD.
Sorry, my display is tongheng compatible, it does not work with osf motor controller.

I understand that it is difficult to use LCD3 without a manual.
If you have the ability to upgrade display and motor, it is the best choice.
Yesterday, checking the version of the manual on GitHub, I realized that the firmware was not aligned with the one on the PC (LCD3 is not a priority for me), which is why I released a new version. So use yesterday's.
However, only the engine firmware has changed, not the display one and the manual is updated, only the reference to E07 overcurrent error added yesterday is missing.
We started at 1 PM on Sunday. Didn't finish till around 6:30 pm. We chose version Release Open source firmware TSDZ2-v20.1C.4-LCD3 update 3 · emmebrusa/TSDZ2-Smart-EBike-LCD3 and almost did not succeed. We started with the controller but kept getting the error "cannot communicate with the device". We checked the wiring, updated the ST-LINK V2 firmware to the latest, tried battery power, tried USB power, checked wiring again, all to no avail- got the same error. We googled the error and found an Endless Sphere post of someone who had the same error and tried using the 3.3 V pin which led to success. We tried the 3.3 V and sure enough it worked! We were able to read/ save the old firmware and update to the new.

For the KT-LCD3 we used the 5 V pin and had no issues. Everything went smoothly after that.

Updating the controller. Excuse the wire nuts and rubber bands. This is a temporary test bike to make sure everything works after I resurrected this broken TSDZ2 motor I got as a box of parts.
IMG_3452.jpeg

Updating the KT-LCD3. I soldered the header to J7 to insure a good electrical connection.
IMG_3450.jpeg

IMG_3451.jpeg

We went through the 11 menu's and associated submenu's, leaving most settings at their default values. Changed only metric to Imperial, motor from 250 to 500 W, enabled Throttle and not much else. I was able to test ride it for only 10 min this Monday morning with the sky threatening to rain. Because the KT-LCD3 cover was off with the pigtail header still soldered to J7, I did not want to chance getting it wet. First impression torque assist is much improved over the last (whatever) OSF version, where the 5 assist levels did not seem to have much difference. With this latest version, I can feel and see (motor W on display) the difference in assist as I upped the levels. Forecast for the next 3 - 4 days is constant rain so no test rides for a while.

Mbrusa, thank you for your work. Finally have a manual that matches the firmware! Looking forward to learning how to configure the many parameters that's available.

Edit: Add pic (w. p/n s/n) of the motor controller that required using the 3.3V pin on the ST-LINK V2 in order to successfully flash OSF.

IMG_3325.jpeg

Last edited:
Sorry, my display is tongheng compatible, it does not work with osf motor controller.
Is it a statement or a question?
I understand that you have an 860C V1.3 display with 6 pin connector for Tonsheng, I haven't yet understood what firmware you have on the motor, so I'll ask the question again.
Do you have stock firmware or OSF (Java Configurator version) on your motor controller?

I have the a stock firmware on the motor controller.
So you haven't tried OSF yet.
From your first post on the topic, I had interpreted that you were using a stock firmware display but with OSF Java Configurator version on the motor.
And I continued to respond with this belief thereafter.
I didn't understand why I wanted to risk freezing the display just to change the OSF version.
Sorry, let's start over.
There are two versions of OSF, one specific for 860C where you can set all parameters on the display. However, it is necessary to flash the motor controller and also the display. It can only be done with 860C Bafang uart version.
Then there is another version of OSF for all stock displays that use the Tonsheng protocol, so also your 860C V1.3.
In this case only the motor controller needs to be flashed.
The parameters must be set in a Java Configurator on the PC,
With combinations of the light button it is also possible to change some settings and view some data on the display.
If you want to try, get STlink-v2 and read the manuals.
Release Open source firmware TSDZ2-v20.1C.2-update-3 VLCD5-VLCD6-XH18 · emmebrusa/TSDZ2-Smart-EBike-1

Thank you for these details.

In fact, i did not understand that it existed a version of the firmware for the engine that is compatible with the original firmware of the 860C v1.3.

On the notice it is written that compatible screens are 850C, VLCD5, VLCD6 and XH18. I will try to test it soon.

I already have tools to change firmware for the screen and the engine.

My aim is to change the screen's settings in order to have the screen correctly set for my engine (48v 500W). And also to be able to switch easily between legal (public sites) and non-legal (private sites) modes.

I will do tests asap.

Thank you very much for your help.

Last edited:
Hello everybody,
I just installed a tsdz2b motor on my bike and have some questions. Sorry if it has already been asked but I can't find the answers...
Do you think this cable is compatible with tsdz2b motor and vlcd5 5.1 version?
If yes, can you tell me which OSF is also compatible with this setup please?
And last one, I can choose between levels 0 - 32 into the hidden settings "A". I red this is the torque power sent to the crank. But I see no difference when I change this setting. The selected level is well saved because it still here after display / battery turned off. I have disabled the speed limit.

Hope somebody could help me and I didn't disturb this thread... Sorry for my poor english!

Best regards

Last edited:
Do you think this cable is compatible with tsdz2b motor and vlcd5 5.1 version?
... which OSF....
.... levels 0 - 32 into the hidden settings "A". .... no difference ....
I have disabled the speed limit.
What you have done in hidden settings is changed the max. current setting, which can give also more power, but only if needed.
As long you don't need this, everything will be the same. This setting is hidden because of the risc of burning the motor if you stay for a long time with that high current.

Because you want to use OSF with stock display (Vlcd5) you only have to flash the motorcontroller with Java configurator tool and flash THIS OSF version.
You can use that STlink V2 programmer you linked to, but imho it is a bit expensive. You can find these on Ebay, Amazon too for less.
But beware, if you have a toggle setting to enable/disable speedlimit 25kph, there is a chance you have a motorcontroller that isn't flashable.

Thank you for you kind help!
Can you give me a link to the cheaper cable please? I only find some DIY ones.
How can I know if my motorcontroller is flashable? The hidden menu let me choose between 2 settings for the speed limit. One to enable / disable the speed limit, and one to set the speed limit value. This second setting is set at ---- when the first is off.

Thank you for you kind help!
Can you give me a link to the cheaper cable please? I only find some DIY ones.
How can I know if my motorcontroller is flashable? The hidden menu let me choose between 2 settings for the speed limit. One to enable / disable the speed limit, and one to set the speed limit value. This second setting is set at ---- when the first is off.
You can use the DIY without a problem, but you need to isolate the sockets with shrinktube.
If you are not that handy it is better to buy the complete cable set.

Because you have the speedlimit toggle the chance is there that the controller isn't flashable.
To be sure you need to measure the Voltage on the motor (speed) connector. 5V is flashable.

Attachments

• Tsdz2 connectionsOldNew2.jpg
    Tsdz2 connectionsOldNew2.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Maybe I did it wrong. It is à 8 pin so I took another diagram from here to find the right pins.
I will retry.
I bought it from pswpower, Germany.

Maybe I did it wrong. It is à 8 pin so I took another diagram from here to find the right pins.
Are you sure you're using the proper connector ?
The one Elinx talked about is the one where you plug the speed sensor, not the display. They're the same on the 6 pin and 8 pin versions.

Back