WHAT REPLACEMENT DISPLAY DO I NEED

carlos1984

100 µW
HI everyone I have this Yukon Trail Xplorer XF26, it is a 36v rear motor drive, it needs a new battery , not a problem, but the main problem I am havinf is the display is damaged, missing the cover and some leds, also think it is water damaged.
So I started loking online for a replacement but the connectors are different, the connector on the original display is a circular with 5 pins around a center pin, total of 6 pins, it also has a cutout making hte connector look like a capital D. See pics.

The manual calls the display a 790 led, which I was able to find online but it comes with differernt connectors.
Also if I am going to be replacing the dispaly I was thinking of upgrading it to a better one but again cannot find one with that style connector.

Is there a way of figuring the wiring pinout and splicing in a new display?

Attachments

• 6pin connector.jpg
    6pin connector.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 790 led.jpg
    790 led.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 11
  • broken display.jpg
    broken display.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 13
  • connector.jpg
    connector.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 19
  • yukon-trail-xplorer-xf26.jpg
    yukon-trail-xplorer-xf26.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 18
A picture of the controller label may be helpful. Displays are manufacturer specific, so knowing the manufacturer of your controller is necessary. Those Kingmeter displays are often used with Bafang controllers

A picture of the controller label may be helpful. Displays are manufacturer specific, so knowing the manufacturer of your controller is necessary. Those Kingmeter displays are often used with Bafang controllers
here is a picture I took of the connections to the display, i it actualy only has 4 wires, a purple to DS, Yellow to D+, Black to D-, Green to PWM, two seem to be cut, so the 6 pin connector doesnt have two connected.
also attached a picture of the controller. Model HDK301R3X working voltage 36v.

I was looking s866 display.
The pinout I found online for the s866 has 5 wire , D+, K , GND, RX , TX, so I dont think that will work
the next one was at a s830 but cannto find pinout for it, loks to be similar to the s866 .

Attachments

• 20230807_1652288.jpg
    9.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 20240514_163144.jpg
    20240514_163144.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
  • s866 pinout.png
    s866 pinout.png
    170.8 KB · Views: 8
He has posted a photo of the controller. It’s the middle photo.

It is an HDK301R3X controller, manufactured in 2013.

I have never seen one like this before. I think it’s time to upgrade to something more modern.

Based on the owners manual wiring diagram, it looks like only power on/off, battery level, and headlight on/off are the only functions supported by the display. The text alludes to power levels also being supported, but that’s not consistent with the diagram. I’d run it without a display, and add a couple of switches for power on/off and for the headlight. You could add a cheap voltmeter to display battery voltage, which is vastly superior to using “bars” to determine your remaining charge.

Seeing plenty of results for KingMeter 790 displays that match what's in the manual:

Looks like the bicycle manual's:
Screenshot_20240515-235638.png

That said, upgrading and even replacing displays without also replacing the controller usually doesn't work. I've bought a GD06 display from AliExpress before and it was incompatible with the GD06 that came with my Rattan LF-750 due to a different number of advanced settings programmed in. Completely the same part otherwise. Not compatible.

Your only guaranteed paths are:
1) get a replacement display from the brand that sells your exact model bicycle or
2) replace the controller and display at the same time.

Slightly less guaranteed is:
3) replace the display with one from the same company (e.g. KingMeter with a KingMeter).

Even then the different displays from the same company can have different protocols for the data they send over the RX and TX pins. So not 100% compatible.

Yeah, the OP can find the same display, but plug compatibility is his problem. None that he can find have the same old fashioned Julet flat bottomed 6 pin connector.

The bike needs a new battery anyway, so maybe it’s time for a full refurbishment using a KT controller and a 48 volt battery.

IMG_0175.jpeg

Last edited:
He can solder the 6 pin plug to his new 790LED display using the 4 wires. Most versions of the 810LED display were 4 wires.
-Battery
-Start, this lead is raised to battery level by the display
-Mode. An analog signal that goes 1,2,3,4 volts, USed on the 810LED to signal PAS 1, PAS 2, PAS3 and walk mode,
-Ground

Some version of the 810LED were 5 wires, in which case Mode was replaced by Txd and RxD, two serial a data streams.

HI Guys, thnks for all the great info! So I have three options from what you guyus have said.

1. I found the same controller on amazon for around 20 CDN,https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07S7BFPRT/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A12Y15YTJMACON&th=1
it just has different plug, so I am thinking of cutting the plug of the broken one and wiring it in to the new one... or

2. Replace the contoller and the display togehter, I found this one on amazon.ca , https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07S49DNCX/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A12Y15YTJMACON&psc=1
the contoller looks like it has the same connections and like AGS said I can upgrade to a 48v setup.
AGS do you know where I can find a KT controller setup with display and battery, or do I have to get them seperatly?

3. (cause I like to mess with thing)
found this page S830 eBike LCD Display Teardown – Experimental Engineering
Its about a guy tearing apart a S830 display and one of the pictures shows the connections. It looks like it could have dual funtionality, on his version the TX and RX are soldered, but I do seee a connection for PWM.
1715866204536.png
I also found this page James Stanley - Reverse engineering an ebike 3-mode PAS LED panel
where he reverse engineers a 790 and my board looks nothing like his.

I am doing some testing first before spending the money on all new parts.

I have a variable power supply that can do up to 90v dc, so my plan is to connect the powers supply to the bikes battery connection and test to see that all other components work, ex. the motor.

Do any of you know hwich two connections I need to short to bypass the display. I see purple DS, Yellow D+, Black D-, Green PWM, I was thinking D+ and DS, but I just want to confirm before I end up frying this thing.

BTW AGS and E-HP love your profile pics, those are the bikes I eventually want to build . look great.

Back