• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum.
    Please see: Funding drive thread

Would this way of sandwich bonding work. Nickel to copper.

I've mashed .25 copper to .2 nickel with a pair of heated tip pliers. It has much more surface area than spot welding. It's not super srong but it's a solid connection and quite strong. I sanded both the copper and nickel. The best part is is that it's very flat.

See the shots and tell me what you think.
first shot: sticking a folded in two solder
second: heated pliers melting solder
third: pulling off and seeing that large surface area is good.

Good idea? And better way to have it stick better?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 1.26.23 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 1.26.23 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 1.26.33 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 1.26.33 AM.png
    938.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 1.27.06 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 1.27.06 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 23
I think it would wok, buti believe this method misses some of the benefits of the copper/nickel sandwich.

The shell of the 18650 cell is nickel-plated steel...one of the goas of using a copper/nickel sandwich is to have a weld where the bus copper is directly touching the cell-tips, instead of adding additional sections of nickel to the current-path.

The nickel cap will not be carrying any current. It is only there to produce a hot-spot. Between the nickel above and the steel shell below, the two hot spots will heat the copper just enough to form a weld.

well, now you're talking about a real sandwich. thank you for straighten me out. so I'll try my welder out to see if it'll do the copper nickel weld. I hope it does.
should i do anything extra to the copper or nickel? I see some have the nickel/copper cap area pushed in about 1/16" i suppose to raise the rest of the sheet.

Back