Y-pedal's two stage RC drive..........

It is #25 chain. You want to go to electric scooter parts and order the heavy duty chain. Yours is probably standard chain. The heavy duty chain is not prone to kinking.

Matt

Perfect.. thanks !

I oiled it up good and it helped but the chain had a hard time initially before i spring loaded the tensioner, i adjusted it a bit tight on a loose spot and when i hit the throttle it must have streched on a tighter spot.... it still works but i will order up a few feet of it and a chain breaker also !!.. 8)

Ypedal said:
Perfect.. thanks !

I oiled it up good and it helped but the chain had a hard time initially before i spring loaded the tensioner, i adjusted it a bit tight on a loose spot and when i hit the throttle it must have streched on a tighter spot.... it still works but i will order up a few feet of it and a chain breaker also !!.. 8)

Don't bother getting the breaker. They suck! Just use a Dremel and a cutoff wheel.

Oh, you don't need a few feet. Just get enough for one chain. They last a long time. You will want a spare master link, though.

Matt

If it's still surging, then it's not from the current limiter feature in the throttle adapter. It could be the current limiter in the controller however. Not much I can do about that. You might try different settings. If the limiter in the throttle adapter was working properly, it would prevent you from hitting the controller's limit.

fechter said:
If the limiter in the throttle adapter was working properly, it would prevent you from hitting the controller's limit.

What is the limit of these units MrFechter? like how much current can we pull before they decide they don't wanna play no more.. With the current limiting feature OFF .. ?

KiM

Hooked it up to the CC software today and found 2 options for throttle cutout, soft and hard.. left it on soft.

I set startup power to hard, and am at 16 khz setting, neutral timing.. updated the controller and went for a ride.. the pulsing is pretty much gone but still a tad bit noticable.. i'm thinking the 45 amp powerpoles between the controller and throttle box have to go, will solder it in later today.

Still works fine tho, i removed the chain, oiled it up really good.. worked that sticky link by hand and put it back on the bike.. no more clack for the time being ( still ordering a new one regardless )

Went for an 8.6 ah Ride just now, and holding 45v + , it's REALLY hot out here today, hottest this bike will ever be driven in, pulling between 20 to 40 amps constant ( 2000w ) the motor seems to peak out at 80 celcius, controller is 45 c , and the nuvinci 42 c.. so temps are in check, motor is HOT but taking it like a champ so far !

I'm not going to put a 3220 on this setup, it would only lead to more problems with the added power, i'm learning to push it just before the limit so i don't get belt skippage and it goes fast enough for me..

the bigger motor and the trike will come next, but i'm waiting for hall sensors to be sorted out.

recumpence said:
Ypedal said:
i'm waiting for hall sensors to be sorted out.

Or the new huge motor. :wink:

Oh, hey, you can set the PWM up at 24khz. That will drop motor temp a small touch and increase efficiency.

Matt

I'm picking up the CC cable today Matt, i recall you said i should also try the 8khz setting for my outrunner correct? Remembering i mentioned the start up sync is lil 'clunker' harder than with the hv110...

KiM

Awsome afternoon, perfect for a ride, set off me and neighbor with the RC and the Chaos, took the camera so i have some video to edit !! ( will load tonight Deec ! )

It's " Speed Sport, Atlantic Nationals " week in moncton, hot rods from all over the place come down for a show and shine so we set off to check it out.

Everything went perfect, both bikes run well together, the RC has more top end speed but gets there slower, until we got literally home and i decided to drag race the bikes up the street.......

argh.... :evil: ... Stripped another set screw... 2nd stage ... SOB.....

Ypedal said:

How do you manage to do this mate? What sort of method are you using on the shaft to ensure the set screw does its job? I have never had issues with set screws not just with the reduction drive but ever. Are you using loctiite (silly question prolly) I use the red stuff for set screws not the medium strength.

KiM

Ypedal said:
Awsome afternoon, perfect for a ride, set off me and neighbor with the RC and the Chaos, took the camera so i have some video to edit !! ( will load tonight Deec ! )

It's " Speed Sport, Atlantic Nationals " week in moncton, hot rods from all over the place come down for a show and shine so we set off to check it out.

Everything went perfect, both bikes run well together, the RC has more top end speed but gets there slower, until we got literally home and i decided to drag race the bikes up the street.......

I have started welding the second stage sprocket to the shaft to eliminate this. Sorry, Man. You got the first two stage drive. Bugs hadn't been worked out yet.

Matt

recumpence said:
I have started welding the second stage sprocket to the shaft to eliminate this.

Any excuse to break out that fancy fandangled TIG you got on loan Matt?!?! :lol: :p :mrgreen:

I guess shafts are cheap so changing the sprocket/shaft out isn't a real biggy...

KiM

Hey now..... a tack weld would hold that sucker for good... i can make that happen..

would i have to remove the shaft/gear from the drive ? or would a tack weld not get the whole thing hot enough to damage the bearings ?

To remove it down the line, i can pop the freewheel side of the shaft off later on..

AJ, i had dremelled a divot in the shaft and screwed it home hard, i cant remember if i used loctite or not..

Ypedal said:
i cant remember if i used loctite or not..

YPedalMaN LOCTITE is your friend .. you need to start spending as much attention to your mechanical setup as you do building your batteries packs matey...

KiM

Ypedal said:
Hey now..... a tack weld would hold that sucker for good... i can make that happen..

would i have to remove the shaft/gear from the drive ? or would a tack weld not get the whole thing hot enough to damage the bearings ?

To remove it down the line, i can pop the freewheel side of the shaft off later on..

AJ, i had dremelled a divot in the shaft and screwed it home hard, i cant remember if i used loctite or not..

No worries at all. I would grind a divot into the shaft/sprocket joint to lay a good weld bead in there (so it is not a surface weld) and weld it up! If it is being MIGed, set it at the highest amperage and lay some good weld in there. Just have a soaking wet rag there to quench it after the weld. :)

Matt

Ypedal said:
Heh ... just picked up a Lincoln 140 !!! :twisted:

DAMN not you too my buddy Flavio scored
a 140 from the Auctions end of last year for 300 bucks
brilliant welders.

Nice video too YPedal MaN hehe you sound like a Canadian too .."ehh" .. hehe very cool...

KiM

uh huh.. i built a bike up with a front 9C motor for a local dude, came back next morning to tell me he had an " Adventure " .. . . motor came out of the forks and mangled the wires real good.. fubared the dropouts too.... so it was either buy new fork, or buy welder and git'r done with nice beefy reinforced dropouts !!

Checked the local Canadian Tire store, they had the unit on sale 150$ off.. came to 499$ with a 3 year warranty.. a couple spools of 0.035, mask, and ready for gas in the future ( will have to look into taht mess.. )

I had my neighbor do the welding for me today on the customer bike, but i tested it out on some scrap myself, with some practice i will get the hang of it quickly...... this is major cool being able to fab stuff up that i could not do before....

now keeping an eye out for a lathe.

eh.

Great vid eh!!

My favorite part was at about 3:50 in where the big guy crossing the street in front of you
thought that he had more time and started to scurry at the end...

Ypedal said:
now keeping an eye out for a lathe.

eh.

I believe Harbour Freight do a cheap roller bender too might want to look into that if you get the urge to make a frame :)

LoL "eh" :lol:

KiM

Back