Y-pedal's two stage RC drive..........

This is supposed to be a good mini lathe:

http://www.lathemaster.com/LATHEMASTER8x14Lathe.htm

but they are always out of stock

Second option still pretty good for a mini lathe:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-x-22-Bench-Top-Metal-Lathe/G0602

Personally i think you would find a milling machine more use than a lathe?
YPedal MaN...

KiM

AussieJester said:
Personally i think you would find a milling machine more use than a lathe?
YPedal MaN...

KiM

I agree with Kim. My eye is on something like this Grizzly mill. Several companies sell a version of this Chinese mill and it can be converted to CNC.

Bubba

Nice lil mill there Bubba, this is the one at local Machinery Store near me

http://www.carbatec.com.au/small-milling-machine-16mm-end-mill-capacity_c19274

Combined with a rotary table i think i would be able to do most of the stuff i wanted to do for my projects ... of course thats not to say I would also get a lathe when i can afford it but given the choice mill would come first can do much more with them IMO

KiM

Another veiw point In regard to machinery,

The lathe is a better 1st choice combined with a quality drill press. You can "mill" parts on a lathe with simple fixtures. Like this.
http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1956&category=1
Cut odd size pescision threads in left & right hand, Its the most usfull tool in my arsenal.

If your buying new, this looks better than my old "Smithy"
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Combo-Lathe-w-Milling-Attachment/G0516

I would check out a local machine broker for some used equipment. There are some ridiculous deals to be had on quality older equipmet. Often you can pick up a ton of tooling along with a machine for pennies on the dollar.
but you will need space for BIG equipment.

Lathe with a milling attachment would be nice, there are some
cheap Chinese ones on ebay i spotted while back that usually
go for around a grand.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BENCH-METAL-LATHE-MILLING-DRILLING-CUTTING-MACHINE-/230497796121?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item35aabd4019

KiM

Got it fixed !!!..

Went for a test run up the block.. weld did not hold... :evil:

Cleaned it up.. welded a 2nd time.. lowered feed rate and really.... REALLY zapped it ( neighbor did the deed for me. he's not a great welder but at least he's got seat time on his side..

2nd time was a charm !.. went for a 10ah ride this afternoon and hammered it hard.. all good ! 8)

Thud said:
Another veiw point In regard to machinery,

The lathe is a better 1st choice combined with a quality drill press. You can "mill" parts on a lathe with simple fixtures. Like this.
http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1956&category=1
Cut odd size pescision threads in left & right hand, Its the most usfull tool in my arsenal.

That 1-axis slide for $60 looks like a much better buy than the crappy $50 cross slide vise I was suckered into buying to mill on my drill press.

480.1956.jpg

You will not likely get good results milling on a drill press, even with the best cross slide attachments. Drills are not designed for horizontal forces. They completely lack rigidity.

Also...

Grizzly is a good choice if you are going to get budget Chinese Machines. Grizzly makes improvements to those machines and re-brands them as their own.

I have a Micromark mini lathe and milling machine, just like grizzly they sell improved Sieg brand machines. the Micromark is the only one that measures in inches instead of metric.
since the US STILL hasn't switched to metric the inch measurements are very handy.
I use my mill for almost everything, the only time I use the lathe is to cut threads for freewheel adapters.
I also have the plans to convert it to cnc but have no time to do it. the plans look well written though with lots of diagrams for assembly.
If you can afford it get a slightly larger mill. the mini mill is great, but sometimes it's a bit small and light. the X3 is the next size up and is much heavier than the X2.

good to hear your weld held :D

My new chains arrived today !!!... Put that sucker on pronto and just got back from a test ride. 8) 8) 8)

No more tick tick tick..... just smoooooth sounding chains. :D

Charging up and will take it to work tomorrow !

One of the packs has a bad cell No.4, loosing .5ah in 2 weeks sitting.. going to have to yank that pack ( good thing i built the battery boxes easy to re-open. )

alright.. made it to work and back.. burned thru 7.5ah doing it !!! ( Drove it like i stole it ) . was fairly cold this morning, the motor and controller like it that way..

I'm still getting some surging at 50% throttle... seemed worse on the way home for some reason.. weird. But she's alive again !.. woot !

Ypedal said:
I'm still getting some surging at 50% throttle...
There is such a thing as 50% throttle????

I rarely see 50%, but then I only have a 406...

lmao.. yeah.. it has a 50% if you want to keep the amps in check. :lol:

Having a huge gear range from the Nuvinci i can pretty much control speed and power on demand but at top RPM i loose alot of energy in the drive system as friction increases at all stages...... lower rpm makes more controller heat but gives me best range around the 20~30 continuous amp mark.

I was racing a neon on my way home pulling 60 to 80 amps for long streches, fun fun fun, but holy crap the ah's burn away as fast as the air in your hair.. :shock:

If nothing fries for the next half dozen rides i get to work on body panels to hide all these wires...

Y,

Other than the lowered efficiency how is that Nuvinci holding up? Seems to be better than the 3 speeds. Also, can you sit a specific throttle and control the speed with the Nuvinci? It would be kind of like a variable pitch prop on a plane. Set the RPM and then control the speed/power with the pitch of the prop (transmission).

Looks like a blast to ride. Keep floggin' it to see what brakes.

Clay

I have to let off the throttle just a bit to allow the pull form the drive to ease up on the Nuvinci and i can shift while the motor is still spinning... So far the Nuvi has been holding up.. she gets warm after a hard run but nothing broke yet !.. It does seem like it's more robust than the 3 speed geared hubs ..

For best performance, throwing efficiency out the window, i pin the throttle and let the speed some up and as soon as the amps drop below 40 i reduce throttle a few degrees for a microsecond and twist up the gear range until i feel the shifter start to resist ( matching motor rpm ) then gun the throttle again.. WRRRRRRrrrRRRRRRRrRRRRRRrrrRRRRRrrrRRRRR...

never mind all that Y, how's the wheelies coming? :twisted:
You know you want a 3220 now, more than we'll ever need :mrgreen:
D

deecanio said:
never mind all that Y, how's the wheelies coming? :twisted:
You know you want a 3220 now, more than we'll ever need :mrgreen:
D

YES YPedal MaN where are the wheelies you been practising buddy
shoz the videoz c'mon now don't be shy :lol:

And De3ec...still waiting on video of your repertoire of mastered tricks (on XBox) which
include frontflip flair,720's 900's, not too mention your
fav trick the 540 tailwhip & candybar lookback... Your patened back flip off
a tree Danny MacAskill stylin' is also impressive i hear Deec? :mrgreen:

KiM

lmao... sorry to report that my wheelie skills....... suck :eek:

But the bike is running good, charging up right now for a late night ride.. hooking up a pair of Cycle Lumenators on 2 of my bikes ( 2 lights each ) and packing a few cans for the trip. awsome night out here, just cool enough to keep the bugs at bay ! 8)

don't worry Y, Luke has been asking me for some wheelie tips too :wink: theres a lot of folks want me to show them the swing leg, side hop, arm masher again :shock:

D

Back