Y-pedal's two stage RC drive..........

Can't wait for the real world results. I think it can't hurt to have more data points on this type of drive system for bikes, as the unknown seems to be one of the greatest fears from the e-bike masses.

Hi,

6.5 lbs for two stage reduction including the motor seems very good to me.

Ypedal said:
Deceptively small, and a tad heavier than i expected.. 6.5 lbs !

Top job on the finish, i absolutely love it ! the black anodize looks great and the silver motor gives it just enough bling ! :wink:

Looks great :)

Y,

Your drive is setup for left side drive. It is easy to reverse for right side drive, though. The chain idler needs to be flipped around so the idler is on the slack side of the chain. The tougher part is the FW adaptor. To reverse the direction for right side drive, you will need to remove the thread flange so the freewheel can thread on from the hub side. I can do that and send you a new FW adaptor if you would like. It is not difficult to accomplish with a drill press and a die grinder,though. :wink:

Matt

8) 8) 8)

get it on the norco baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
go Y, you know it makes sense ;)

Damn, im jealous of those black pulleys :lol: sweet, MATTTTTTTTT!!!!!

Cheers,

D

dontsendbubbamail said:
mud2005 said:
... left side drive freewheels and I wondered if you guys have seen the DK Dual Drive hub
http://www.winstanleysbmx.com/product/3 ... e_Rear_Hub
The DK Dual Drive Rear Hub has a unique design with 2 major benefits. Firstly, it accepts all sizes of both LHD and RHD freewheels....

Dual drive OK quality http://www.evdeals.com/images/NewHub.JPG

Bubba

Bubba,

If that's this one, it's of no use for LH drive as it has RH threads on both sides.
http://www.evdeals.com/Table-1.htm

dontsendbubbamail said:
Here is a better link. http://www.evdeals.com/USPD Drive Parts.htm This is the hub I am using. Mine has an 8sp on the right and a southpaw freewheel on the left.

I think that your link is a different hub.

Bubba

Hi,

I just want to ask a question about this hub that you have. You're saying that you have a 8sp on the right side and a southpaw freewheel on the left.
My question is: if you have a sprocket on the right side then this means that the pedals move when the wheel turns. Isn't this annoying? od it doesn't work this way?

Thanks,
Marcel

marcel28 said:
Hi,

I just want to ask a question about this hub that you have. You're saying that you have a 8sp on the right side and a southpaw freewheel on the left.
My question is: if you have a sprocket on the right side then this means that the pedals move when the wheel turns. Isn't this annoying? od it doesn't work this way?

Thanks,
Marcel

The right side is an 8 speed freewheel that works the same as a freewheel on any bike. Both sides freewheel. The froward motion of the wheel does not cause the pedals or the motor to turn. I can hold the pedals steady and not pedal when the motor is running. That is good because when I am going 40 mph there is no way I could pedal with the low gearing of my mountain bike.

Bubba

woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot 8)
here come the new breed of ebikes, simply stonking 8)
go Y!!!!

Cheers,

D

Ypedal
Make sure you get a single cross pattern laced onto the wheel. I have tried 3 lace patterns on my hub and all have ended in tears because the spokes are unable to be tensioned due to their angle to the nipple.
Wait till you get the NuVinci going you will love it their really has been so little teasting done on this hub and it will be good to hear real world results. I find mine very reliable and easy to use.

Cheers
Alex

LOL

yes, spill the beans Y :mrgreen:

D

Ypedal said:
Another option..
Once was electric, Tidal Force, gonna be again but way better ! :mrgreen: I have a 2nd one of these in the garage, it's getting a 1000w cyclone ( have had that kit for almost a year and not installed yet ! :| )

Good choice, those Tidalforce s-750 are great bulletproof frames - that's why I bought (150) of those frames when I had a chance :D

They are light but strong, big solid oval tubes, massive solid welds at the fork tube, and that brace at the rear triangle is an ideal support for high-torque electification - not to mention a purpose built mount for a torque arm. However, the dropouts are so thick I didn't even need a torque arm with a wheelie-prone 88v50a 5305 install.

I made a lot of prototypes with them, but dunno what I am gonna do with them now that I am messing with EVs more than eBikes, but someday I'll find an application.

-JD

I have no idea why someone would mess with a hard-tail with an RC set up. Can you imagine hitting a pothole or bump at 45 mph? I've hit a few at 30 mph and the handling was awful.

swbluto said:
I have no idea why someone would mess with a hard-tail with an RC set up. Can you imagine hitting a pothole or bump at 45 mph? I've hit a few at 30 mph and the handling was awful.

In the past few years I've logged over 10,000 miles on exclusively Hardtail ebikes , much of that on assorted 38mph specials or a 44mph xtracycle, usually driven flat-out, and I can't say as I've found bumps or potholes to be a problem. I guess if I hit a 5" parking lot speed bump at full speed it would a mess, but suspended or not that would be bad news for a heavy x5 hub motor.

Maybe the frost-free SoCal weather doesn't make the type of potholes you see, I guess it was a lot worse back east. Maybe it's the gushy Maxxis hookworm tires I use, maybe its the thudbuster (although at top speeds I'm usually standing out of the saddle), maybe it's just that since I've never ridden a full suspension bike I don't know any better about the comfort I'm missing. Or it could just be that out of neccessity I've learned to adapt speed to the road surface and avoid the worst of the obstacles.

So YMMV, but it's been a non-issue for me. :D

-JD

oatnet said:
swbluto said:

In the past few years I've logged over 10,000 miles on exclusively Hardtail ebikes ,

I think you would be using at least 24in tire diameter also? Maybe try doing 30mph on 20in wheel size and see how bad it is
when you hit bumps, smaller wheel size wont handle the bumps anywhere near as smoothly, hit a bump fast enough say bye bye to your rim.

I can't understand why anyone would use hardtail either, these drives seem perfect for downhill bike like the deecanio member is using.
Why use a bmx frame at all? Very impractical and total waste of great drive i think, BMX designed for 40-50second use around a track in race on prepared surface not for
everyday transport on differing surfaces, they are small and designed to be ridden standing up not seated. Why not fit it too your daily ride? all this money spent
on rc components thrown away on an impractical setup seems silly to me, can you explain the reasoning please?

I think there's a few people who like to have their fun toys instead of utility vehicles. ;0) If you're referring to matt's PK drive, he already has a practical bike so the only thing left is the fun stuff. :p

Back