10S custom skate ESC: testers wanted!

Some Photos of the PCB for the 2nd round of VESC

Please scrutinize them and tell me if there are any issues.
img-20150625-wa0010.jpg

img-20150626-wa0007.jpg

img-20150625-wa0009.jpg

What about this? Why are like 4 traces to the DRV8302 shorted instead of separated, as indicated within the orange circle? Last time I remember none of the pins on the DRV8302 are to be shorted while in operation.

VcLvoFH.jpg

Because that is how they are meant to be lol ask Vedder?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 3,704
Stielz said:
those pins are meant to be shorted, if you look at the schematic and the gate driver datasheet those pins are on the same net

Just did a double check. That is correct and my finding can be disregarded. My VESC boards from Hackvana show it, but the solder mask clearly separates each pin for the DRV8302 when I ordered mine..

WARNING don't use BLDC Logger with out a motor plugged in! You will get a ABS-OVER-CURRENT error and will need to reflash your VESC using an stlink.

Hey guys, Iv updated BLDC-TOOL go those who want to update there FirmWare (recommended) the new version will support FW 1.5-1.6.
As I said I will continue to support the windows and OS X builds and keep them updated.
Updates:
•Know we have a default port address for windows and OS X so you don't have to find out what your port address is, but if you have a device already plugged in on the port then you will need to change.
•in windows if you unplugged your VESC with out clicking disconnect then it wouldn't reconnect when plugged back in, this has been fixed.

I will be setting up a website to host the files later but for now new and old versions of windows and OSX BLDC-TOOL as well as BLDC-Logger for both windows and mac are in the same URL.

https://drive.google.com/folderview...drLThCY01HY3BPOXpqYVRHUlQxS0R5ZlU&usp=sharing

Android app is in good development!
Wii nunchuck mod has been redesigned again to make improvements.

Please keeping these upto date and working correctly with every update requires so time, if you would like to support this with skills or donations that would be much appreciated

Wii nunchuck PCB beta pre sale comes fully In closed in a wii nunchuck casing.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=70623

Hi, Thks a lot for these updates !
Could you please tell where we can get the new firmware versions 1.5 or 1.6 (.bin files) which seem to be required. I am not familiar with Github, and I prefer not buid them myself whenever possible.
Otherwise I managed to program my VESC using a STM32F0 discovery kit, which includes an STLINK-V2, and this seems to be the cheaper option.
Anyway, it all works now. Still some little mechanical issues to clear before new tests (E-bike with timing belt and large 3d printed pulley drive)

pf26 said:
Hi, Thks a lot for these updates !
Could you please tell where we can get the new firmware versions 1.5 or 1.6 (.bin files) which seem to be required. I am not familiar with Github, and I prefer not buid them myself whenever possible.
Otherwise I managed to program my VESC using a STM32F0 discovery kit, which includes an STLINK-V2, and this seems to be the cheaper option.
Anyway, it all works now. Still some little mechanical issues to clear before new tests (E-bike with timing belt and large 3d printed pulley drive)

Hi mate, in the google drive link I put up there is a folder called mc-config-FW this has all off the firmware's since 1.2.

Question about 12S and 200+kv : I have 213kv motor and I want to use 12S (currently I have 6S). Will it be safe if i don't go at maximum speed (which is 50kph, i will hardly go faster then 35kph) and/or set max ERPM limit to 80000?

Why 12s and not 10s : there is a cheap 6S on HK compared to 4S with same capacity. So just a question of money, 10S voltage would be enough for me.

ssa said:
Question about 12S and 200+kv : I have 213kv motor and I want to use 12S (currently I have 6S). Will it be safe if i don't go at maximum speed (which is 50kph, i will hardly go faster then 35kph) and/or set max ERPM limit to 80000?

Why 12s and not 10s : there is a cheap 6S on HK compared to 4S with same capacity. So just a question of money, 10S voltage would be enough for me.

On mine it worked fine on max speed. However at low speed acceleration it would cut off and reboot itself and show a drv8302 error when I checked the fault codes after. So there is pretty much no way to use 12s even if you are careful. I plan on testing with a 10s battery when I have time to pull apart and redo my battery.

Azyx said:
jacobbloy said:
I would say that we could design a receiver to go with it!
Jacob, for now it only works with the Kama receiver?

No mate you replace all of the electronics with this board! So it will work with any wifi casing or any casing that you want to you! You can even use a 10k pot sensor for a trigger if you feel the need!

The Receiver is just a nrf24

CE -> Tied to VCC
CSN -> The servo input (you have to remove the lowpass filter on the servo input)
SCK -> The ADC_EXT pin
MOSI -> The SDA pin
MISO -> The SCL pin
IRQ -> not connected
VCC -> VCC
GND -> GND

To remove the filter from the servo input, remove C3 and replace R5 with a 0R resistor.

I have updated this PCB and changed the orientation a little. I have also added a charging and regulator circuit for lipo battery's.
This PCB is 26x46mm so it great and small.

Can some one who has a little knowledge check my wii nunchuck receiver for non VESC use. This will be a great addition because we can add light and cruise control.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 1,493
I read on vedder.se that the usb port is 'reversed', so not every usb cable works for programming. Can anyone hint me to a source for that 'reverse' cable?

furp said:
I read on vedder.se that the usb port is 'reversed', so not every usb cable works for programming. Can anyone hint me to a source for that 'reverse' cable?

Here's a pic that explains what the "reversed" port is

hirose_zx1.jpg

To clarify, the USB cable in use is the USB mini type B. The cable made for this plug are industry standardized and do not have the wires internally criss-crossing for a "reversed" cable at one end. You can find this cable at your local electronics store or around your house if you keep any USB cable. The cable that came with the Sony PS3 to charge the controller is the same one that can be used with the VESC. Any USB mini type B cable will do though there is one case I read on this sub forum about someone one having issue connecting their VESC to their computer and just needed to change the cable for it to work.

Ok, thanks for clarifying! Was just afraid that when I finally had everything set up for programming, it would be held back by a stupid usb cable :)

This is just a little notice to anyone updating their VESC to latest firmware version 1.7. I have made the update a few minute ago with encountering an error and a possible solution. First off my version of Ubuntu I use is 14.10 but methods here apply to any version of Ubuntu 14.XX and maybe Ubuntu 15.XX given a new update by Terry Guo's "eabi" file. I use the usual "sudo apt-get update" command to update linux. I encountered an error "Unknown module(s) in QT: serialport". Searching Google and looking for an answers is vague so I decided to delete the file and start from square one of compiling all needed files. During the process I run into an issue of the command "sudo apt-get install gcc-arm-none-eabi=4.9.3.2015q1-0trusty13". I tried with "utopic14" since Ubuntu 14.10 is utopic. Both commands no longer show the file from Terry Guo's website, but 3 updated files as being "gcc-arm-none-eabi 4.9.3.2015q2-1xxxx1". I type xxxx in the previous sentence in reference to the version of ubuntu you have. Well it solves the "QT: serialport" issue, but Im not sure exactly what specifically is update to correct the problem.

chuttney1 said:
This is just a little notice to anyone updating their VESC to latest firmware version 1.7. I have made the update a few minute ago with encountering an error and a possible solution. First off my version of Ubuntu I use is 14.10 but methods here apply to any version of Ubuntu 14.XX and maybe Ubuntu 15.XX given a new update by Terry Guo's "eabi" file. I use the usual "sudo apt-get update" command to update linux. I encountered an error "Unknown module(s) in QT: serialport". Searching Google and looking for an answers is vague so I decided to delete the file and start from square one of compiling all needed files. During the process I run into an issue of the command "sudo apt-get install gcc-arm-none-eabi=4.9.3.2015q1-0trusty13". I tried with "utopic14" since Ubuntu 14.10 is utopic. Both commands no longer show the file from Terry Guo's website, but 3 updated files as being "gcc-arm-none-eabi 4.9.3.2015q2-1xxxx1". I type xxxx in the previous sentence in reference to the version of ubuntu you have. Well it solves the "QT: serialport" issue, but Im not sure exactly what specifically is update to correct the problem.

I have updated the arm-gcc command in the tutorial.

The reason that serialport is missing for Qt is that I accepter a pull request for using qtserialport instead of my own implementation. So for making BLDC Tool build now, you need to run

Code:
sudo apt-get install build-essential qt-sdk openocd git libudev-dev libqt5serialport5-dev

I hope this helps.

I am thinking of a little display add-on to the VESC, in order to show real time speed/Power/battery soc (state of charge as % of full charge). Display has to be sunlight readable and preferably use UAR, CANT or SPI connection to the VESC.
I think using sharp LS013B4DN04 could be interesting (but does not have backlight for night readability).
Maybe 4dsystems Oled would be suitable, but I am not sure they are easy to read in sunlight.
Has anyone already worked on a this ?
An alternative would be to use a smartphone and a USB connection, but mine is under Android.. and not so readable outside.

pf26 said:
I am thinking of a little display add-on to the VESC, in order to show real time speed/Power/battery soc (state of charge as % of full charge). Display has to be sunlight readable and preferably use UAR, CANT or SPI connection to the VESC.
I think using sharp LS013B4DN4 could be interesting (but does not have backlight for night readability).
Maybe 4dsystems Oled would be suitable, but I am not sure they are easy to read in sunlight.
Has anyone already worked on a this ?
An alternative would be to use a smartphone and a USB connection, but mine is under Android.. and not so readable outside.

There is a mobile "interface" that several are working on lead by Torque and Jacob. over Bluetooth i believe. I'd prefer to use that and have additional access to the settings of the VESC vs just a status screen.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=68975

I'd take a look to see if this does what you want?

Thks for the link. You are right, it will be much simpler to have a BT connection with a mobile phone. I already have the BT module to connect to the VESC, so I should be able to test this when they release an Android version. I just need to figure out how to mechanically handle the phone and make enough shade so I can read its display even in sunlight.

Thks Lizard, actually I use the VESC + SK6374 on a recumbent Ebike. So I can attach the display to the bike frame, and probably some kind of modified GPS fixture will do. But I also need to design some shading means to improve readability in the sun. Good job for 3D printing I suppose;

Back