New GNG Mid Drive Brushless 60V650W

Thanks for the info! I didn't mean 40 mph for 30 miles but if it could be done.....awesome! I'm going to go ahead and order this kit. Need to get back on the road. I guess I have to order a new CA since mine is a direct plug in and I wouldn't have a speedo! I wonder what the others are doing? I just found a speedo cable for "converting my CA-DP to a CA-DPS!" I'm going to have to search to see how this is done.

Tom

I've had a chance to ride with the new chain drive on a few rides. I can definitively say that I love the chain drive. The durability is far above the belt. I do prefer the quiet of the belt, but the reliability of the chain at higher wattage is worth the noise. My last ride I was peaking close to 3000 watts and the chain did not complain. I'm running 14t-28t on the rear. My top speed is 34 mph at 52 volts, GPS confirmed. Acceleration is very assertive. :D

Good to know...that mean my 75v or 100v will have no problem hitting 40mph. Starting to get a bit excited here......

Tom

anybody confirm this kit is more reliable than a 2 stroke ped?

00707_iLwnFNumbCe_600x450.jpg

1KW said:
anybody confirm this kit is more reliable than a 2 stroke ped?
This is a strange question because you appear to imply that 2 stroke mopeds are unreliable. I saw a Puch Maxi in yellow that was sitting outside against a house rusting in the elements for who knows how long. I expressed interest and got it for practically free. I rode that thing everywhere and don't recall it ever breaking down. I only stopped riding it when I was old enough to drive a car.

In any case, the belt drive GNG is reliable though the belt eventually wears out. It degrades relatively gracefully and you can carry a spare, so you shouldn't ever be left stranded due to belt failure. This chain drive GNG I would consider bullet proof especially at stock controller wattage.

4521642003_35eb2b10b6.jpg

What total reduction would be right for:

50V?
66.6V?
72V?

I´m trying to decide what voltage to run on. Leaning towards 66.6V.

How many amps does the motor handle without having to change phase wires? Does it handle less amps if the voltage is high?

Thank´s for helping a newb :)

arcticfly said:
What total reduction would be right for:

50V?
66.6V?
72V?

I´m trying to decide what voltage to run on. Leaning towards 66.6V.

How many amps does the motor handle without having to change phase wires? Does it handle less amps if the voltage is high?

Thank´s for helping a newb :)

I run it at 75 volts, 18s lipo, at 40 AMPS. As long as you don't surpass the 40AMPS the phase wires should hold.

And I have a new Lyen controller to take it up to 125 volts, but staying at 40 AMPS.

Wishes

I run it @15S stock, I found that the gear aren't synch with the motor reduction...I mean if you're using high gear @rear, to get the torque and allow the motor to scream @full speed, you can't pedall with it...you need to be in low gear to help the motor, but you loose the torque...the front on pedal side should be a lot larger diameter or smaller motor one on pedal side...does anyone feel the same ? have you experience this with the GNG V1 (belt) ?
any other feedback on the HVC with stock controller ?

I run it at 75 volts, 18s lipo, at 40 AMPS. As long as you don't surpass the 40AMPS the phase wires should hold.
And I have a new Lyen controller to take it up to 125 volts, but staying at 40 AMPS.
Wishes
@75V : it is with your Lyen ? true ? you burnt the stock controller @ 67V true ? did you repair it by changing the caps ?

I only have experince with a123 50v. When fully charged it is 58v, but that only lasts for 10 seconds before it is down to 52v. Is lipo the same?

Any one know the total reduction needed to be able to pedal at 50,66.6 and 72v? Or better yet what size sprocets needed?

Ordering the 60v kit today.

dan974 said:
Wishes
@75V : it is with your Lyen ? true ? you burnt the stock controller @ 67V true ? did you repair it by changing the caps ?

Yes i'm doing the 75 volts with a Lyen controller. Although the stock 60 volt controller can handle up to 83 volts, it wasn't the cap that I had an issue with after all.

I have the stock 60 volt controller is running at 18 cell lipo on a e-scooter right now and it runs fine.

Wishes

Although the stock 60 volt controller can handle up to 83 volts, it wasn't the cap that I had an issue with after all.
I have the stock 60 volt controller is running at 18 cell lipo on a e-scooter right now and it runs fine.
Wishes

So I can run it @ 20S (toped @4.15V) ? how did you get the info about 83V did you test it ? (18S give you only 75.6V full charged ..) what was the issue so plz ?
anyonelse did try it @20S ?

dan974 said:
Although the stock 60 volt controller can handle up to 83 volts, it wasn't the cap that I had an issue with after all.
Wishes

So I can run it @ 20S (toped @4.15V) ? how did you get the info about 83V did you test it ? (18S give you only 75.6V full charged ..) what was the issue so plz ?
anyonelse did try it @20S ?

I opened it up and saw it has 83 volt caps in it. So the 75.2 volts of my 18 cells fully charged to 4.2 don't bother it. The issue was short in my wiring of my test setup. 20s at 41.5 will take you to exactly 83 volts. That would be cutting it pretty close. I have not tried it myself personally, maybe others have experience with it at 20s but I would drop a cell or 2 to keep a safe buffer zone.

I went ahead and changed out the stock chain and sprockets with #25 chain and 11-80 sprockets. I wanted to keep the same ratio I had with the belt.

Turns out the 11 tooth small sprocket is a little small for the shaft. Sure it fits, but the back of the shaft, the lip on which the sprocket rests, is too thick. The chain would not sit properly on the teeth and was hitting the larger part of the shaft. I had to grind down a 45 degree angle on the shaft to give it enough clearance. Probably a 13-14 tooth sprocket would clear it without having to grind it down.

The noise difference is HUGE!!

IMAG0078.jpg

And I put an ACS freewheel on the secondary side.

IMAG0077.jpg

Wishes

arcticfly said:
I only have experince with a123 50v. When fully charged it is 58v, but that only lasts for 10 seconds before it is down to 52v. Is lipo the same?

Any one know the total reduction needed to be able to pedal at 50,66.6 and 72v? Or better yet what size sprocets needed?

Ordering the 60v kit today.

A123's tend to drop those extra voltages of a full charge quickly but then stay at their nominal voltage for a while before starting to drop again. Lipo's have a more constant and regular voltage drop during discharge. My batteries start at 75 volts and steadily drops down as they get discharged. I discharge them to 64 volts.

Wishes

arcticfly said:
Thank you Wishes!

Has anyone found a 12T sprocket that fits the GNG on the primary side? I can only find 11T and 13T.

I was never able to find a 12T either.

I've ridden my conversion of the 11T-80T #25 on the primary for a few weeks now. It feels like the 11-80 #25 combination provides much more reduction versus the 11-80 belt pulleys. I'm sure someone on the forums can explain the dynamics of the ratios, i'm not expert on the matter. But I definately lost some top speed since I did my conversion. In my conversion I also replaced the secondary freewheel with a 14T ACS. So I was actually expecting a small increase in top speed.

After a few weeks of experience with the conversion, I think a 13T on the primary would have given me something closer to my old 11-80 belt ratios. The 11T sprocket fits, but requires you to grind a 45 degree angle on the back lip so that the chain can sit properly on the teeth. I think the larger size of a 13T would clear the lip and save the manual grinding.

Wishes

bee said:
Gng chain kit 54÷11=4.90909091

Gng 1.0 80÷14=5.71428571

80÷11=7.27272727

80:11 was too much reduction IME
I tried to correct you the last time you mentioned 11:80 belt ratios, the stock kit is 14:80 on the belt :)

11:80 is a good reduction if you are running stock amps with high (100+) voltage, with higher amps an 11:80 primary reduction will quickly wear out your secondary reduction chain/sprocket.

This new chain kit has the lowest reduction so far which means it's perfect for people who want to use a 12-18fet high voltage controller to squeeze out the most power from their kits by bringing the final drive closer to 1:1 (and losing pedal ability in the process). With this kind of setup you should be able to get 4000-5000w through BMX chain with decent reliability.

I´m sure I have seen someone with 12T in here, but cannot remember who...

Just picked up the GNG kit from the post office. Got from China to Norway in 2 days over the weekend. Pretty fast... Now I´m waiting on upper sheets from LR.

bee said:
bee said:
Gng chain kit 54÷11=4.90909091

Gng 1.0 80÷14=5.71428571

80÷11=7.27272727

80:11 was too much reduction IME
I tried to correct you the last time you mentioned 11:80 belt ratios, the stock kit is 14:80 on the belt :)

Doh, I stand corrected. Now I understand the reduction :)

Hello all.

I was looking at Ebikes now that I ride my bike to work most of the time (09 trek Fuel EX 5.5)
and was wondering if this kit would fit?
I am mechanically inclined, but alas all my tinkering time has been spent on radio controlled stuff and as such don't know really anything about the modding bike scene.
from what I gather, the trek uses a 90 mm bottom bracket that is in fact pressed fit into the frame? And this kit is for 68 mm bottom brackets? The bottom bracket is measured by how wide the bracket is correct? Not the diameter?

Could I get away with using some custom spacers to widen the kit to fit a 90mm BB

Thanks

Edit*

I forgot to add, If there is a better option for my type of bike, I am all ears.
I live about an hour from Yosemite National forest. So think all mountains and hills.

Back