Are those blue batteries good for 1800w brushless motor build?

I think im going with lead acid battery since it is in my budget. What is yalls opinion? 4 x 12 v 12AH batteries in series
I was under a similar rule growing up, and I was making a pretty good amount of money doing landscaping work. Anything I earned went into savings for college.
Given your budget, lead acid is the safest option. Those cheap blue batteries have a higher likelihood of burning down your house, so maybe you can work the safety angle on your parents to let you spend a little of your own money to get a decent lithium ion pack or even spring for one. They may be impressed that you're thinking maturely about this, keeping everyone's safety as a priority.

For an 1800W motor at 48v..
1800W / 48v = 37.5 amps, or let's just assume that's 40.

Lead acid batteries have about a 1C rating meaning for every amp hour of capacity, it can output 1 amp.
So to output this kind of power you'd want a 40ah lead acid battery, not 12ah.

And now you know why basically nobody on this forum is running lead acid batteries anymore.

I would recommend a prebuilt lithium pack. It's going to cost a lot more, but it's also going to work for your application... :)
Even 4 of these better quality Mighty Max 12v 22Ah costs $220 ... Mighty Max 4 Pack - 12V 22AH GEL Battery for EW72 Mobility Scooter Wheelchair | eBay

That's if he's satisfied with 12-15mph (19-24kmph) with satisfactory range (hopefully no hills) for his riding enjoyment.

With an Amazon Li-ion Battery he(dad as sponsor) may be eligible to pay monthly over 6 months or 18 months depending on original cost of a Li-ion 48V 15Ah/20Ah battery. That also gives him a little leverage just in the event the warranty becomes a factor. Also gives him more speed when needed and not messing around with 4 SLA batteries securely attahced/strapped to his supermoto ebike.

If i was his dad i'd realize securing four 12v Mighty Max 22Ah batteries to his supermoto ebike is not a good idea nor nice looking.

Your unfortunate UPP experience several years ago is apparently no longer a reliable indication of today's 2023 UPP success
All based on an easily manipulated rating system. i have two batteries purchased at the same time. one upp 36v 20ah and the same from em3ev. both 35E cells. 300 miles on the upp and it sags as bad as 5 year old 26F packs. not the case with the em3ev or the battery from jenny mao. her company name eludes me at the moment. please, ratings an reviews are poor standards. i’m confused as to why fellas with little or no upp experience keep defending these second rate builders.

$700 to +$1000 EM3ev
ok last comment. not sure where you pulled those numbers from, but the 35E upp with a decent bms and 100% nickel was about the same price as the em3ev. When buying my first new car all i could afford was a yugo but common sense ruled, i continued busing and pedaling and saved money until i could afford a tercel. my suggestion for nOObs is fewer beers, more ramen and you’ll be rewarded with reliability.

Attachments

• IMG_0414.jpeg
    IMG_0414.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 0
Well this is a DIY forum and as a learning experience this is pretty straightforward I know some people have problems first put it on the BMS but with help it can be easily done

By (spam quote removed) assume an AliExpress blue shrinkwrap Li-ion battery as a suitable option? What comparable Yugo type (limited newbie AliExpress) budget 48V 10Ah to 20Ah Li-ion Blue battery would you recommend for someone on a limited AliExpress budget (under $200) for their first 15 yr-old teenager ebike project.

Is there not even one AliExpress 48V (10Ah to 20Ah) battery for $150 to $200 that will suffice (with proper care). Is there not even one ES member that would recommend an AliExpress 48V Li-ion as a comparable Yugo-like option for a teenager on a limited budget ($150 to $200 Li-ion battery) that's better than buying 4 SLA 12V batteries ...
Lead acid batteries have about a 1C rating meaning for every ap hour of capacity, it can output 1 amp.
So to output this kind of power you'd want a 40ah lead acid battery, not 12ah.

And now you know why basically nobody on this forum is running lead acid batteries anymore. I would recommend a prebuilt lithium pack. It's going to cost a lot more, but it's also going to work for your application... :)

Last edited:
Even 4 of these better quality Mighty Max 12v 22Ah costs $220 ... Mighty Max 4 Pack - 12V 22AH GEL Battery for EW72 Mobility Scooter Wheelchair | eBay

That's if he's satisfied with 12-15mph (19-24kmph) with satisfactory range (hopefully no hills) for his riding enjoyment.

With an Amazon Li-ion Battery he(dad as sponsor) may be eligible to pay monthly over 6 months or 18 months depending on original cost of a Li-ion 48V 15Ah/20Ah battery. That also gives him a little leverage just in the event the warranty becomes a factor. Also gives him more speed when needed and not messing around with 4 SLA batteries securely attahced/strapped to his supermoto ebike.

If i was his dad i'd realize securing four 12v Mighty Max 22Ah batteries to his supermoto ebike is not a good idea nor nice looking.
Fatboy electric scooter have a 20 ah battery lithium and 2000w motorns and runt 30 to 40km on one run. Im trying to buy one of them second hand.

Fatboy electric scooter have a 20 ah battery lithium and 2000w motorns and runt 30 to 40km on one run. Im trying to buy one of them second hand.
My parents dont even know my project. They are against everything and are those immigrant parents that never let theyre kid do anything. Im not gonna get in detail but its basically just me and my budget. And i guess im too broke:(

ok last comment.
OK I LIED…

UPP 36V 17Ah 663 miles BBS01B 36V 500W on a Day6 Joy trike, from 85% charge barely 20 miles and battery sag tethering on the edge of LVC. It’s one year old.

My parents dont even know my project. They are against everything and are those immigrant parents that never let theyre kid do anything. Im not gonna get in detail but its basically just me and my budget. And i guess im too broke:(
I picked up a 48V w decent cells from one of the battery liquidators online. I’m thinking it was under $100.

Maybe you can sell the motor. Unfortunately, purchasing a big motor dictates pouring a lot of money into the project, unless you're happy with just being able to ride around the block once then charging for 4 hours. It's possible to spend $400 and have something to ride around and have fun with, if you plan it out. If you stick with the big motor, then your choice is to just save your money up while working on your metal fabrication skills. You may be old enough to make your own spending decisions by that time.

According to Swedish vehicle regulations an electric bicycle should run on a maximum of 250w, and have a maximum speed of 25kmh.

An electric light motorcycle, however, is permitted to have up to 11kw of power under Swedish law, but must be registered as such in order to be driven on Swedish roads.

Did you know your powerful 1800W ebike motor was illegal to ride on Sweden's roads - before you purchased it ?

You may be old enough to make your own spending decisions by that time.
Yes, Only from what you've already posted, I think you are old enough now. It's just that you don't yet have enough money to make those decisions. Looks to me you just need more money or lower your goals. Your decision... I'd try hard to earn more money. It's a skill that will do you good in the future. :mrgreen:

my suggestion for nOObs is fewer beers, more ramen and you’ll be rewarded with reliability.
This is a new take on "young people could afford [a house / nice things] if they cut out the avocado toast" - but I do agree with you that, in this hobby, it's worthwhile to spend a little more money and buy a much more reliable machine. Cheers.

Yes, Only from what you've already posted, I think you are old enough now. It's just that you don't yet have enough money to make those decisions. Looks to me you just need more money or lower your goals. Your decision... I'd try hard to earn more money. It's a skill that will do you good in the future. :mrgreen:
Maybe to make decisions, and I don't know how it works in Sweden, but here, the consequences of a bad decision are borne by the parents (hence the recommendation to get the least dangerous battery).

According to Swedish vehicle regulations an electric bicycle should run on a maximum of 250w, and have a maximum speed of 25kmh.

An electric light motorcycle, however, is permitted to have up to 11kw of power under Swedish law, but must be registered as such in order to be driven on Swedish roads.

Did you know your powerful 1800W ebike motor was illegal to ride on Sweden's roads - before you purchased it ?
Yep but its compared to fatbikes and will only be ridden on bicycle roads. I know its illegal but just want something cool to ride once in a while.

Maybe you can sell the motor. Unfortunately, purchasing a big motor dictates pouring a lot of money into the project, unless you're happy with just being able to ride around the block once then charging for 4 hours. It's possible to spend $400 and have something to ride around and have fun with, if you plan it out. If you stick with the big motor, then your choice is to just save your money up while working on your metal fabrication skills. You may be old enough to make your own spending decisions by that time.
Im buying a 60v 20ah battery for fatbike for 150 dollar in my town... so yeah!

I think we're failing to ask the right questions here:
What's your proficiency in tools my dude? What do you have access to? I'd like to hear what you have to a granular level, like if you've even got crimpers and such.

Im buying a 60v 20ah battery for fatbike for 150 dollar in my town... so yeah!
Maybe to make decisions, and I don't know how it works in Sweden, but here, the consequences of a bad decision are borne by the parents (hence the recommendation to get the least dangerous battery).
Remember when we were 15-18, and did it our way sometimes even ignoring our parent's advice. Then as we approached 40, 50 and onward we realized in hindsight our parent's advice was more often than not common sense. Even if we were too impatient to appreciate their common sense at the time. We knew they were only looking out for what they thought was in our best interest.

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it" ... Henry Ford (also Elon Musk and Einstein)
"The three essentials to achieve anything worth while are: Hard work, Stick-to-itiveness, and Common sense"... Thomas Edison

Remember when we were 15-18, and did it our way sometimes even ignoring our parent's advice. Then as we approached 40, 50 and onward we realized in hindsight our parent's advice was more often than not common sense. Even if we were too impatient to appreciate their common sense at the time. We knew they were only looking out for what they thought was in our best interest.

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it" ... Henry Ford (also Elon Musk and Einstein)
"The three essentials to achieve anything worth while are: Hard work, Stick-to-itiveness, and Common sense"... Thomas Edison

Yeah i understand, they only want the best for us and i have one of the best grades you could possibly have in school and often obey their order and am generally a good person. Just want something to do on my freetime and theyre not letting me get a moped license with my own money. Im just doing something in my freetime.

I think we're failing to ask the right questions here:
What's your proficiency in tools my dude? What do you have access to? I'd like to hear what you have to a granular level, like if you've even got crimpers and such.
My bike is at my grandfathers house and he was an electrician and i have the required tools to install a battery and done over 20+ of research regarding battery and safety. I just want second opinions from people with same interests...

My bike is at my grandfathers house and he was an electrician and i have the required tools to install a battery and done over 20+ of research regarding battery and safety. I just want second opinions from people with same interests...
It's Fathers Day here and i'm a granddad. Your fortunate to have a grandfather with years of valuable learning experiences, if you will only give a listening ear to his second or third opinion. Treat him right and he will help you.

Here was my first motorized bike project as a young teenager on a limited buget. Mounted an old lawn mower engine in the frame, attached a smaller bike rim to the rear wheel and with a used v-belt. The cyndrical clutch on the lawn mower engine controlled the speed. The total cost was zero dollars.

My great-grandfather emigrated from Sweden to Stockholm, WI in 1850 when Dakotah Indians were still around.

Last edited:
Well that's a good thing. He likely grew up in an era where kids had a lot more flexibility and parents weren't so paranoid or uptight (although perhaps rightfully so in today's world). I think if my parents knew all of the crazy dangerous stuff I did at 15, they might not have survived my adolescent years. I can recall at least 3 instances where I'd be dead if things didn't go exactly right, and a lot more where I could have been severely injured. Most of my friends and I made it through those years intact. Maybe you can do some chores for your grandad and get him to chip in on a decent battery.

Back