Bafang M500/M600 thread

jodiug said:
CiDi said:
To configure the Bafang M500 / M600 motor without using the BESST programmer, you can use this interface.

Link interface USB to CAN on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-Converter-Module-Raspberry-Zero/dp/B07Q812QK8/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=usb+to+can+innomaker&qid=1604409709&sr=8-2

Link cables Bafang HMI M500/M600 on e-bike-technologies:
https://www.e-bike-technologies.de/index.php/en/connectors/connectors-signal/connectors-higo-mini-f-series/higo-b5-f-detail
https://www.e-bike-technologies.de/index.php/en/connectors/connectors-signal/connectors-higo-mini-f-series/higo-s5-f-detail

Below are the software and the instructions for configuration and use.

I have this CAN analyzer: https://www.antratek.nl/usb-can-analyzer
After wiring the white/green/black cable I connected it to my bike and turned on the battery. I installed the driver on my PC. The InnoMaker software is not showing any Device Index, so I might have to order the other USB interface. Should the device index show up automatically when the USB is plugged in and the bike is turned on?

You need to use your device's software and it should work.

Search here:

https://github.com/SeeedDocument/USB-CAN-Analyzer/tree/master/res/V7.20

Let me know if it works.
It could be better than the innomaker interface.

Paolodeleone said:
CiDi said:
To configure the Bafang M500 / M600 motor without using the BESST programmer, you can use this interface.

Link interface USB to CAN on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-Converter-Module-Raspberry-Zero/dp/B07Q812QK8/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=usb+to+can+innomaker&qid=1604409709&sr=8-2

Link cables Bafang HMI M500/M600 on e-bike-technologies:
https://www.e-bike-technologies.de/index.php/en/connectors/connectors-signal/connectors-higo-mini-f-series/higo-b5-f-detail
https://www.e-bike-technologies.de/index.php/en/connectors/connectors-signal/connectors-higo-mini-f-series/higo-s5-f-detail

Below are the software and the instructions for configuration and use.
Good morning everyone. I have been reading this post for a while and I bought everything necessary that Cidi indicated.
I have a fantic issimo ebike with Engine bafang m500.
I carried out the whole procedure indicated by the great Cidi😉, Getting the connection with the bike.
As soon as they are connected to the screen, Rows Black codes. At this point I would like to try to save the initial configuration so that we can return to the standard configuration.
This information is what I find in the ID: 02F83203? indicated by cidi in the M600 setup?
In my case they are as follows:
28 0A 60 01 C2 06 00 00.
So if I've interpreted these well these are the original parameters.
so to change the limit speed I should enter On bytes 0 and 1 of frame id: 85 10 32 03 values 70 17 leave the others equal to the initial configuration:
frame id: 85 10 32 03 data: id: 70 17 60 01 C2 06 00 00
Right?
Consider that I don't know anything about electronics and programming 😬😬.
Thank you all. 😘

Exactly

Actual configurations:
28 0A = A28Hex = 26km/h
60 01 = 160Hex = 22"
C2 06 = 6C2Hex = 1730mm

New configurations:
70 17 = 1770Hex = 60km/h
60 01 = 160Hex = 22"
C2 06 = 6C2Hex = 1730mm

Done everything ok
Should the instruction be sent to the off display?
Because as soon as you turn on the devices the lines run continuously without being able to press any button.

Paolodeleone said:
Done everything ok
Because as soon as you turn on the devices the lines run continuously without being able to press any button.

You have to do it with the display on, press the send button while the lines scroll.
Look closely at the bus speed setting, 250kb.
Check the set speed on the display information page.

Done works well.
On the display it marks 22" for the wheel and 60 km limit
But can you do the magic of varying the sensitivity of the torque sensore?
I think after the bike is perfect for my wife.
I ride with a Tongsheng engine on a MTB, and thanks to the commitment of many users of various forums We have arrived at an excellent adjustment of all performance

Paolodeleone said:
Done works well.
On the display it marks 22" for the wheel and 60 km limit
But can you do the magic of varying the sensitivity of the torque sensore?
I think after the bike is perfect for my wife.
I ride with a Tongsheng engine on a MTB, and thanks to the commitment of many users of various forums We have arrived at an excellent adjustment of all performance

Unfortunately the torque sensor settings are in the firmware and cannot be changed. Improvements are made by changing the firmware, but the BESST interface is required.

Hello Cidi, but you can make a small and clear tutorial, on how to proceed for the use of the besst.
Thank you

Unless you edit the firmware itself, having Besst won't help because you can only upload new firmware supplied by Bafang.. there are no settings in Besst that allow you to adjust control parameters (torque power etc)

To use the BESST interface without having a Bafang account, follow these instructions:

Attachments

• BafangVirtualServer.jpg
    BafangVirtualServer.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 7,516
  • BafangVirtualServer.pdf
    274.3 KB · Views: 1,025
  • Bafang.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 589
Hi guys
I need help. in december 2019 i bought a frey bike m600 i am not happy with this motor it is discontinuous i have another bike with tsdz2 (mbrusa firmaware i'm active in joybike forum) and it is very smooth.
I can update the firmware with the version CRX10NC4818i132046.6-28-2230-20200824-3.txt
or does this only work on Luna controllers?
I need BESST to update?
Thanks again and sorry for the bad English

I have this version, and it is pretty smooth. For 43V systems though.

CRX10NC4320i132045.6-28-2230-20200824-3.bin

Note I have 32045.6 and yours seems to be 32046.6 I don't know what the differences are.

There is a behaviour where the motor "overruns" so when you stop pedalling it sounds like the motor is still free spinning inside. This happens for only a second (roughly) but not more than 2 seconds. Not as noticable on higher power settings 2,3,4,5.. but on 1 it is noticable.

Andy

buranel said:
Hi guys
I need help. in december 2019 i bought a frey bike m600 i am not happy with this motor it is discontinuous i have another bike with tsdz2 (mbrusa firmaware i'm active in joybike forum) and it is very smooth.
I can update the firmware with the version CRX10NC4818i132046.6-28-2230-20200824-3.txt
or does this only work on Luna controllers?
I need BESST to update?
Thanks again and sorry for the bad English

Yes, this is the latest firmware available for M600 motors with 48V battery.
It removes many defects in the previous firmware.
To install the BESST interface is required.
Remember to rename the file to ".bin".

CiDi said:
Paolodeleone said:
Done everything ok

You have to do it with the display on, press the send button while the lines scroll.

I just ordered the InnoMaker adapter, since its software seems a lot easier to use. My USB-to-CAN adapter had 12 different PDFs with instructions all in poorly translated English, and two drivers but no instruction on which one to use :roll:

Anyway, when you say the display should be on, do you mean the display on the bike? I thought I'd have to attach the CAN adapter directly to the cable where the display connects. So in order to plug in the USB/CAN adapter, I'd have to disconnect the display. If the display should be on, does that mean we need some kind of Y-adapter to connect both the display and a laptop via USB?

Thank you for answering so many questions. I'm tech savvy myself but not when it comes to electronics. I am a bit wary of doing things wrong and accidentally bricking a brand new bicycle :wink:

jodiug said:
CiDi said:
Paolodeleone said:
Done everything ok

I just ordered the InnoMaker adapter, since its software seems a lot easier to use. My USB-to-CAN adapter had 12 different PDFs with instructions all in poorly translated English, and two drivers but no instruction on which one to use :roll:

Anyway, when you say the display should be on, do you mean the display on the bike? I thought I'd have to attach the CAN adapter directly to the cable where the display connects. So in order to plug in the USB/CAN adapter, I'd have to disconnect the display. If the display should be on, does that mean we need some kind of Y-adapter to connect both the display and a laptop via USB?

Thank you for answering so many questions. I'm tech savvy myself but not when it comes to electronics. I am a bit wary of doing things wrong and accidentally bricking a brand new bicycle :wink:

Exactly, there go two male and female cables connected in parallel, one connected to the display, the other connected to the controller.
Follow my instructions and you can't go wrong.

Attachments

• Bafang USBtoCAN.jpg
    Bafang USBtoCAN.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 6,179
  • Bafang USBtoCANwire.jpg
    Bafang USBtoCANwire.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 6,179
  • Bafang M500-M600 Can Wiring Diagram.jpg
    Bafang M500-M600 Can Wiring Diagram.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 6,170
CiDi said:
jodiug said:
CiDi said:
Paolodeleone said:
Done everything ok

Exactly, there go two male and female cables connected in parallel, one connected to the display, the other connected to the controller.

Hey, just wanted to report back. With your instructions and the InnoMaker I successfully changed the limit to an effortless 35 km/h! For those who arrive from Google, this is on an M400 with a 2020 CAN bus connector.

Regarding the torque and position calibrations, do we need to recalibrate after changing the speed limit, or is that only relevant when we change the wheel size/circumference?

Has anyone replaced the controller on the motor? What is the procedure to pair new controller with the motor?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

YIkes I have not visited the forum for a while now so excited to see here that our M600's can be programed. I will have to read up on the details, I am hoping we can set up the throttle to full max power to overide when pedaling at all the lower assist levels. I have missed this as my HD1000 would let one overide any lower pedal assist levels with the snap of the throttle but now my M600 only gives throttle power levels based on the pedal assist level chosen.

Anyways my main question is to do with a error 30 I am getting. Its weird as it only seems to rear its head when the bike has been sitting and cold. If I heat up the motor with a hair drier in the winter before riding I dont get the error message and I am good to go, if the motor area is not heated up it will error out, very frustrating.

I just read "Animalectors" post which states....."Also dashed new firmware on to M600 that was showing error 30 Intermittently when on the 'power' screen.I rode this afternoon 15km on the 'power' screen with no issues so hopefully that is also resolved".....

So my main question is about the error 30. Is there a chance reprograming will solve this issue? I have opened up the controller and all is dry and looks good, cables and connectors also look good so not sure what to do kind of hoping this firmware solution may be an answer, had this problem for a while now?

Thanks in advance, looks like I have a lot of reading to do on this programing news YIKES. Also on another note I just ordered from Luna the shorty crank arms for our M600 drives (150mm). I have been waiting for a store bought solution like this for a long time. 175 mm crank arms are not needed for an ebike and too much pedal strike so looking forward to the crank arms arrival, should be here by first week of Dec :)....wayne

I think it is fair and reasonable to 'hope' that new firmware will fix the problem.

It's possible that they stuffed the communications protocol and the system cannot handle negative temperatures so the communications dies.. maybe it also cannot handle single digit numbers. who knows but it sounds like a firmware bug.

This is only a guess.. but in my case, there was something about how the system was communicating 'power' like it couldn't handle sending high numbers or 0 or something. EIther way It certainly sounds like a firmware issue.

What version have you got? I think you can see the software version from the display menus.

Luna Cycles Sells the BESST tool for $100, otherwise for perhaps $30 AUD I could ship it to you to borrow, and then you ship it back... (this would be a long process though)

Andy

jodiug said:
CiDi said:
jodiug said:
CiDi said:

Hey, just wanted to report back. With your instructions and the InnoMaker I successfully changed the limit to an effortless 35 km/h! For those who arrive from Google, this is on an M400 with a 2020 CAN bus connector.

Regarding the torque and position calibrations, do we need to recalibrate after changing the speed limit, or is that only relevant when we change the wheel size/circumference?

The torque sensor calibration must be done in case of sensor replacement.
The speed ​​sensor calibration must be done if you open the motor cover.

waynebergman said:
YIkes I have not visited the forum for a while now so excited to see here that our M600's can be programed. I will have to read up on the details, I am hoping we can set up the throttle to full max power to overide when pedaling at all the lower assist levels. I have missed this as my HD1000 would let one overide any lower pedal assist levels with the snap of the throttle but now my M600 only gives throttle power levels based on the pedal assist level chosen.

Anyways my main question is to do with a error 30 I am getting. Its weird as it only seems to rear its head when the bike has been sitting and cold. If I heat up the motor with a hair drier in the winter before riding I dont get the error message and I am good to go, if the motor area is not heated up it will error out, very frustrating.

I just read "Animalectors" post which states....."Also dashed new firmware on to M600 that was showing error 30 Intermittently when on the 'power' screen.I rode this afternoon 15km on the 'power' screen with no issues so hopefully that is also resolved".....

So my main question is about the error 30. Is there a chance reprograming will solve this issue? I have opened up the controller and all is dry and looks good, cables and connectors also look good so not sure what to do kind of hoping this firmware solution may be an answer, had this problem for a while now?

Thanks in advance, looks like I have a lot of reading to do on this programing news YIKES. Also on another note I just ordered from Luna the shorty crank arms for our M600 drives (150mm). I have been waiting for a store bought solution like this for a long time. 175 mm crank arms are not needed for an ebike and too much pedal strike so looking forward to the crank arms arrival, should be here by first week of Dec :)....wayne

Unfortunately for the accelerator there are no settings that can be changed, everything is configured by the firmware.
It would take some expert for decompile the firmware to perform all the settings.

Animalector said:
CiDi said:
The speed ​​sensor calibration must be done if you open the motor cover.

This is interesting I've had the cover off a bunch of times I see no reason why you would need to do a speed sensor calibration.???

A Bafang technician told me. The sensor magnet should be in the lid.

Back