Bafang M500/M600 thread

Hi guys, could U pls help me to understand what is wrong with the connection? I wanted to test battery/ motor but a display is not working and a throttle does nothing... The power button on the frame is enabled. The battery is charged. Thanks for any advice.IMG_20210430_162259_580.jpg

52nd said:
Hi guys, could U pls help me to understand what is wrong with the connection? I wanted to test battery/ motor but a display is not working and a throttle does nothing... The power button on the frame is enabled. The battery is charged. Thanks for any advice.IMG_20210430_162259_580.jpg

Press the two display cables in VERY VERY firmly, then press them in again.

Anyone tried to flash CRX10NC4818i132046.6 firmware to M500?

If have found on other forum a user who have 250W/M500 hardware with that one, and i have been also received this one from Bafang when i asked for latest M500 f/w but i found here its for M600.

52nd said:

OP, I don't have that series of motor, and I can't see the rest of the bike, but one owner doing a youtube on a carbon Chinese MTB and that Bafang showed how the battery panel connector was totally symmetric in how it could be attached to the mounting panel. In other words the battery interface connector could be installed correctly or 180 degrees incorrectly. When the batter was plugged in, there wasn't a short or snafu that occurred, but the system was dead until he flipped that connector to the right oritentation. I don't know how similarly a lot of these Chinese frames and battery packs are designed, but it's worth checking.

I am keep looking to this motors and it is not possible to buy parts for repair. Also seems it is impossible to unlock the motor for speed and the motor power - there are devices for speed unlock but they are very expensive like 200€ which may cost only 10€ in materials!!

Has anyone tried to run the motor with external motor controller like VESC and so fully unlock the motor speed and power? -- I only see 3 inputs to a motor controller:
1. battery which is unlocked already on Bafang motors
2. torque sensor (that also includes the cadence sensor)
3. button remote control

And only 2 outputs:
1. Bafang motor
2. display

The only specifics are the torque sensor and motor, because button remote and display (or wireless module for mobile app) are easy, just like the ones used on other ebikes.

Does anyone know the real current limit of the motor? and the voltage limit and nominal RPM?

Does anyone knows how many wires the torque sensor have and which function?

And all that wiring inside the motor, which sensors are used by the original system?

The displays can be quite expensive like 100€ and they are not done to be repaired. I decided to develop my own very simple DIY wireless module that costs only 25€ in materials and it very easy to repair if needed. I can use phone, a fully wireless remote or wired remote and a cycling GPS display like Garmin Edge. With this technology to drive M600 motor, we may just need a motor controller like VESC and some simple electronics to read the torque sensor.

Here our very simple DIY wireless module that costs only 25€ in materials:
TSDZ2_wireless_board_small-10.jpg

TSDZ2_wireless_board_small-11.jpg

TSDZ2_wireless_board_small-12.jpg

And the mobile app:
android1-small.jpg

android2-small.jpg

The fully wireless remote with wired connection the brake sensors:
ebike_wireless_remote-01-350x.jpg

ebike_wireless_remote-03-350x.jpg

And the Garmin cycling GPS showing EBike battery, assist level, my heart rate graph, etc:
garmin_edge_830-01-350x.jpg

I am sharing all this information in the hope some advanced user may want to go with this route of using OpenSource technology to drive Bafang M600 or M800 motor and share with us more information on how to do that. More info here: https://opensourceebike.github.io/

casainho said:
Has anyone tried to run the motor with external motor controller like VESC and so fully unlock the motor speed and power?

I've not done anything with this motor, but I have done exactly what you're suggesting with a Bosch Gen2 motor, using a Grin PhaseRunner & a V3 Cycle Analyst:

Motor is simply a case of connecting the 3 phase wire to the new controller, I haven't (as yet) managed to use the Bosch position sensors, so am currently running it sensorless.

The Bosch torque sensor is very simple, it has a 5v supply, negative & signal output, this is fed into the CA3 and calibrated as a "Custom Torque" sensor. I have not managed to find a Bosch cadence sensor, so I am using a simple external one.

I appreciate that this does not answer your exact question, but I hope that it gives you an indication that it should be achievable and helps you on your way.

I have only recently made these modifications & should it eventually prove too much for the Bosch's nylon gears,my next plan is to carry out a motor swap to an M600.

Limbs said:
casainho said:
Has anyone tried to run the motor with external motor controller like VESC and so fully unlock the motor speed and power?

I've not done anything with this motor, but I have done exactly what you're suggesting with a Bosch Gen2 motor, using a Grin PhaseRunner & a V3 Cycle Analyst:

Motor is simply a case of connecting the 3 phase wire to the new controller, I haven't (as yet) managed to use the Bosch position sensors, so am currently running it sensorless.

The Bosch torque sensor is very simple, it has a 5v supply, negative & signal output, this is fed into the CA3 and calibrated as a "Custom Torque" sensor. I have not managed to find a Bosch cadence sensor, so I am using a simple external one.

I appreciate that this does not answer your exact question, but I hope that it gives you an indication that it should be achievable and helps you on your way.

I have only recently made these modifications & should it eventually prove too much for the Bosch's nylon gears,my next plan is to carry out a motor swap to an M600.
And what I like on Bafang is that we have M600 with 500W motor for big MTB and M800 with 200W motor for small and light bicycles, like light MTB, gravel / road.

Thanks and do you have public notes and/or pictures so we can learn and be inspired?

On TSDZ2 motor, the torque sensor wires need specific hardware, so I am afraid that can happen on other torque sensors.

Just today I realized that Bafang motors has no belt internally but only gears and I expect them to be noisier than the others with belt. Isn´t you Bosch motor more silent and better than Bafang M600? what will you win with the swap?

You would be doing us all a big favour Casainho if you could into the Bafang firmware even just to say have some control over the assist levels and speed limits for eg like the Blevo software on the Specialized motors and the Shimano software which integrates with their own motor.

I believe a company called Innomaker already has a limited software package, Luna in the States have gone further with their own controller and Pex replacement main gear to quieten down the older M600’s. The later factory M600’s and M500’s now have Pex main gears and are comparable with a belt driven unit.

I think one of the displays already has Bluetooth ready for a future software from Bafang

General feedback of the reliability of the later units is very good, why would you want to change the complete firmware when in reality it just wants to be able to be user tweaked to our own personal settings.

Waynemarlow said:
General feedback of the reliability of the later units is very good, why would you want to change the complete firmware when in reality it just wants to be able to be user tweaked to our own personal settings.
Because developing and repair the original motor controller and displays is very hard!! as is very hard to buy them as also very expensive, making an impossible project -- maybe that was the reason why you say Luna decided to develop their own motor controller. Yes, I understand final users want what is more simple and cheap for them but that makes an impossible problem to solve as I explained.

casainho said:
Thanks and do you have public notes and/or pictures so we can learn and be inspired?

I'm afraid I haven't got round to a full write up of the conversion (and not likely to for a while yet), but there is a little more detail of my project (and teething problems) here: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=111348 & detail of a similar conversion here: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=93831

casainho said:
Just today I realized that Bafang motors has no belt internally but only gears and I expect them to be noisier than the others with belt. Isn´t you Bosch motor more silent and better than Bafang M600? what will you win with the swap?

Yes, the M500/M600 series of motors are all geared reduction &, on later models, they are all steel gears, this is the advantage over the Bosch Gen2, which uses nylon gears on the motor side (all steel on the human side). Although the Bafangs are all geared, I have seen a Youtube video reviewing several motors and the Bafangs were actually the quietest.

Another advantage of the M600 is that it uses a 500w rated motor, whereas the Bosch is rated at 250w, although I have measured a Bosch Gen2 Activeline actully drawing a maximum of 720w peak in Turbo mode. I currently have my Bosch limited to 1100w maximum, though I hardly ever use it at that level, as I ride with others on standard 250w rated bikes, plus I have the added assistance of the front hub motor.

I did a search but I feel like it may have been too vague.

I was ready to order this motor when I saw the battery needed a certain protocol? All my batteries are homemade, and I'm not sure I've ever seen a battery with a protocol. Am I misunderstanding something? It was my assumption I could purchase the motor with display and simply plug my battery in as I do with bbhd and tsdz2.

Thanks

barrettrussell said:

I was ready to order this motor when I saw the battery needed a certain protocol? All my batteries are homemade, and I'm not sure I've ever seen a battery with a protocol. Am I misunderstanding something? It was my assumption I could purchase the motor with display and simply plug my battery in as I do with bbhd and tsdz2.

Thanks
I see only a regular connector of 2 power wires to the battery, a I assume it is not locked.

You can use a normal battery, there is the possibility to connect the diagnostic cable of the bms, but it is not mandatory.

barrettrussell said:

Thanks

casainho said:
barrettrussell said:

Thanks
I see only a regular connector of 2 power wires to the battery, a I assume it is not locked.

Thanks, that is what I was thinking when I saw it, but thought there may be another cable with some proprietary stuff that also plugged into the battery.

My other question now is sourcing from a reliable seller. I have always used pswpower for my ebike equipment, but I see they are not stocking this bafang motor. Any suggestions where I could buy this?

CiDi said:
You can use a normal battery, there is the possibility to connect the diagnostic cable of the bms, but it is not mandatory.

barrettrussell said:

Thanks

thanks for the reply!

I purchased my 4 motors from Cne Bikes on Alibaba.

barrettrussell said:
CiDi said:

barrettrussell said:

Thanks

thanks for the reply!

Good to know. Have you had to warranty at all?

My concerns are mostly in terms of warranty and receiving an up to date motor - metal gears, firmware, etc.

CiDi said:
I purchased my 4 motors from Cne Bikes on Alibaba.
Zee

barrettrussell said:
CiDi said:

barrettrussell said:

Thanks

thanks for the reply!

Hello there I did upgrade to 14.6 but it just show 70% of the real battery charge, the battery and controller are 43V do you have the 45.6 or 45.7 firmware to go back ? I cant find a way to download it from bafang or seller

maucalvo said:
Hello there I did upgrade to 14.6 but it just show 70% of the real battery charge, the battery and controller are 43V do you have the 45.6 or 45.7 firmware to go back ? I cant find a way to download it from bafang or seller

Attachments

• CRX10NC4320i132045.6-20200806.txt
    71.6 KB · Views: 44
hi
Does somebody know where we can find firmwares and informations about their destination for bafang M series ?

I have recevied the last rev of M600, the controller firmware is CRX10NC4818i132046.7. I constat that the throttle work better than the M500. less aggressive, no error 21, close the best for my use (moutain walking mode). Guess this soft updade might be available for the M500 ? wher i can find it ?

Bafang told me that i could find with BESST tool with "Get the file from cloud". But i am not sure that is the right solution, when i do it i have an message who say: not historical found ?

Ask the Bafang service or where you bought the motor.

patdam said:
hi
Does somebody know where we can find firmwares and informations about their destination for bafang M series ?

I have recevied the last rev of M600, the controller firmware is CRX10NC4818i132046.7. I constat that the throttle work better than the M500. less aggressive, no error 21, close the best for my use (moutain walking mode). Guess this soft updade might be available for the M500 ? wher i can find it ?

Bafang told me that i could find with BESST tool with "Get the file from cloud". But i am not sure that is the right solution, when i do it i have an message who say: not historical found ?

I mounted my fourth M600 motor, and I realized that this is quieter than the previous ones.
Anyone know what has been changed in the latest version?

CiDi said:
I mounted my fourth M600 motor, and I realized that this is quieter than the previous ones.
I have dissasemble my brand new motor(Firm 47.6) because I have a torque sensor problem, and they have change the plastic gear.

Did they go back to the plastic gear?
I hope they changed the material, did you see if it is yellow (Peek plastic like the one sold by LUNA)?

PadreParada said:
CiDi said:
I have dissasemble my brand new motor(Firm 47.6) because I have a torque sensor problem, and they have change the plastic gear.

52nd said:
Hi guys, I need your help, seems I have found a root cause. Due to I have bought a frame and a motor from different sellers I have stock wires for the motor. I need to connect Y-wire higo 3pin orange male to female. But the question is where should I connect the other cutted side with num 2 on the picture below to?20210611_091411.jpg
IMG_20210611_131936_474.jpg
Bafang Diagram.png

Back