Bafang M500/M600 thread

casainho said:
Waynemarlow said:
casainho said:
I am out of luck. I have with me 2 different USB CAN devices, the most cheap ones. I used a few hours to test both and I could not receive any CAN data from the motor although I see the data on the oscilloscope. I did follow the CiDi guide and other guides, it should be very simple to receive the motor CAN data, still I was not able to get it.

On another forum one of the guys is trying to build a smaller keypad, he has mentioned about having to change the Baud rate to 250KBS before the cheapo CAN readers would work. Is this something to consider ?
Thanks, I tested again and it works!!

It is so easy!! just wire the USB CAN adapter CAN_H and CAN_L wires to the HIGO-B6-F connector, and connect it to the brake connector on the motor. Once you turn on the display, the motor will start sending the data to the CAN. You can also send data to the motor, for instance to change the max speed and wheel diameter: https://github.com/OpenSourceEBike/Bafang_M500_M600/tree/main/CANBUS

Which pins did you use on the HIGO-B6-F connecor for can-H and can-L?

Just bumping this thread. Any recent news on further unraveling the CAN commands and anybody tried the BESST Pro on the 46.7 version of the M600 firmware ?

Waynemarlow said:
Just bumping this thread. Any recent news on further unraveling the CAN commands and anybody tried the BESST Pro on the 46.7 version of the M600 firmware ?

I tried, not working. Write to Bafang for M600 firmware compatible with Besst Pro.

Hi,

Can anyone help with a guide/tutorial/parts list for adding a second 48v battery to my M500?

Many thanks.

Its a bit more complicated than simply adding another battery. Far far more safer and easier electrically if you simply exchange the battery and carry the spare either in your rucksack or on the bike and simply unplug one and plug in the other.

There's been a fair bit of talk over the years on the subject over on the battery section of Endless such as this one https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=107311&p=1573649&hilit=Waynemarlow#p1573649, perhaps you may want to ask your question there.

Waynemarlow said:
Its a bit more complicated than simply adding another battery. Far far more safer and easier electrically if you simply exchange the battery and carry the spare either in your rucksack or on the bike and simply unplug one and plug in the other.

There's been a fair bit of talk over the years on the subject over on the battery section of Endless such as this one https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=107311&p=1573649&hilit=Waynemarlow#p1573649, perhaps you may want to ask your question there.

I can't get hold of a second battery that's exactly the same, hence the need to add a second different battery.

I'm not wanting to parallel the batteries, rather just use one, then automatically change over to the second.

I've seen some battery splitter boxes, wouldn't one of those work? If I match the voltage & mAh?

s-l400 (2).jpg

Waynemarlow said:
Do you have a link, I've seen a few advertised but the ones I've seen have quite low Amp capability.

Yeah, a 30a one on eBay.

Do you know how they work?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154964270168?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=154964270168&targetid=1405282543919&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1006912&poi=&campaignid=17218284410&mkgroupid=142217514411&rlsatarget=pla-1405282543919&abcId=9300867&merchantid=232720091&gclid=CjwKCAjwmJeYBhAwEiwAXlg0AUnGTQTatD_DyP68HEUz9st5ObDKyCS0K_D-Aro3jDD9v-D7GpBL4xoCCL0QAvD_BwE

Kyokushin said:
Waynemarlow said:

I tried, not working. Write to Bafang for M600 firmware compatible with Besst Pro.

Will give it a try!

https://bafangusadirect.com/pages/support

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Hello - I race ebike with Bafang M600 motor. Several friends have M500 motor and use BESST Pro software to tune for better operation. Can you provide firmware for M600 motor that can be tuned with BESST Pro? Please let me know. Many thanks!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thank You!

Your Support Ticket has been received and a tech team member will respond as soon as possible to the email provided!

casainho said:
Waynemarlow said:
casainho said:
I am out of luck. I have with me 2 different USB CAN devices, the most cheap ones. I used a few hours to test both and I could not receive any CAN data from the motor although I see the data on the oscilloscope. I did follow the CiDi guide and other guides, it should be very simple to receive the motor CAN data, still I was not able to get it.

On another forum one of the guys is trying to build a smaller keypad, he has mentioned about having to change the Baud rate to 250KBS before the cheapo CAN readers would work. Is this something to consider ?
Thanks, I tested again and it works!!

It is so easy!! just wire the USB CAN adapter CAN_H and CAN_L wires to the HIGO-B6-F connector, and connect it to the brake connector on the motor. Once you turn on the display, the motor will start sending the data to the CAN. You can also send data to the motor, for instance to change the max speed and wheel diameter: https://github.com/OpenSourceEBike/Bafang_M500_M600/tree/main/CANBUS

HIGO-B6-F connector is not that much expensive:

USB CAN adapter on Aliexpress:

Hi,
I've got the same usb2can hardware. It's recognized by windows, showing in COM ports. But when I launch BESST or Innomaker, the device does not show (nothing after "scan device" in Inno, "choose COM port" in BESST with empty list).
What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks

4πr^2 said:
Kyokushin said:
Waynemarlow said:

Will give it a try!

https://bafangusadirect.com/pages/support

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Hello - I race ebike with Bafang M600 motor. Several friends have M500 motor and use BESST Pro software to tune for better operation. Can you provide firmware for M600 motor that can be tuned with BESST Pro? Please let me know. Many thanks!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thank You!

Your Support Ticket has been received and a tech team member will respond as soon as possible to the email provided!

So far no luck / no reply. :(

We will see, but hopefully!

I asked on telegram, but will ask here too - does anyone have any emails for direct contacts at Bafang?

Thought maybe this would be a bit better... especially if we know of someone a bit sympathetic to us 'tinkerers' ...than just the corporate 'contact us' link.

I also think it is important to mention racing or off roading or off road use. I've noticed Bosch and others seem to be starting to take a strong stance against modding/tuning bikes. Likely for fear of liability if someone crashes themselves or others on a 50mph ebike.

https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/service/ebike-tuning/

Hello,
i received a new firmware from Bafang for M600 36V 18Amps.
I have compare with the 36V 25A firmware and have a little of bits of diferencies.
I think if a developer or expert compare this two files, know the bits to modify for personalize a firmware.

Attachments

• CRX10NC3618i132022.7-28-2271-20201209.txt
    72.6 KB · Views: 28
I received this reply today:
dear,
Do you have the best tool or you just want the firmware, I could send you the firmware but you have to give your serial number.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

best regards,

Write them serial number of engine and yes - you have besst tool - its required to flash firmware.

The answer came today, does anyone know what the firmware is?
In order to add the file here, I had to change the .bin extension to .txt.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-03 at 14-05-38 Re Fw Bafang Contact Form Sales - vivato.topolcany@gmail.com...png
    Screenshot 2022-09-03 at 14-05-38 Re Fw Bafang Contact Form Sales - vivato.topolcany@gmail.com...png
    228.1 KB · Views: 787
  • CRX10NC3615i142017.5-20191126 (1).txt
    71.6 KB · Views: 18
Hi everyone.

I keep using my EBike with M500 motor that I built with the Dengfu E10 frame, very happy with it riding on mountains, until 2 days ago that a frame bolt simple disappeared while I was riding at middle of a 80 kms event...

Sorry, this is a question about the frame and not specifically the motor but I hope is ok here anyway since many of us use this same frame.

Here is the bolt I need to replace - can someone point me to which type is it and where can I buy it? ideally I would like to buy from some European online shop:

Here is the empty hole on this frame that this bolt is missing (there are 2 of this bolts, one on each side of the frame):

And a picture I took during this ride... I was so happy until this bolt were missing on the frame... anyone experienced with this bolts on this frames that can recommend what I should do to avoid the same issue again? (I remember so see other guy having the exact same issue on a different frame...):

Casainho, sorry the bolts are unique to Dengfu. You will have to contact Melody and ask her to send both sides of the bolt.

It is possible to manufacture a bolt and nut replacement however using a standard allen headed bolt within a turned section of Ali as a temporary fix, take the same bolt from the other side of the frame to someone who has a lathe and it should take less than an hour.

The fix is to ensure you put Loctite or such like on the thread before assembly and use the correct torque.

Question for you, have you put any further time into working out the CANBUS signals and how we can alter the M600 / M500 in a similar way to the BEEST Pro available for the M510 ? No problem if you haven't as I'm guessing at some stage Bafang will update the M600 firmware.

Waynemarlow said:
Casainho, sorry the bolts are unique to Dengfu. You will have to contact Melody and ask her to send both sides of the bolt.

It is possible to manufacture a bolt and nut replacement however using a standard allen headed bolt within a turned section of Ali as a temporary fix, take the same bolt from the other side of the frame to someone who has a lathe and it should take less than an hour.
Thanks! So I just contacted Melody. But I will also look at the other bolt to check the other option you say - I wish to use the EBike on next weekend...

Waynemarlow said:
The fix is to ensure you put Loctite or such like on the thread before assembly and use the correct torque.
Thanks. I am pretty sure I used the torque wrench to validate all of them were correctly tight, although, just when I assembled the EBike. In talks with other riders, I were told I should clean the EBike after every this full day rides with rocks, as also check every bolt with the torque wrench -- is this a good idea or can I damage the bolts after many checks?

Waynemarlow said:
Question for you, have you put any further time into working out the CANBUS signals and how we can alter the M600 / M500 in a similar way to the BEEST Pro available for the M510 ? No problem if you haven't as I'm guessing at some stage Bafang will update the M600 firmware.
My understanding from the talks of the developers chat group, is that only M510 (and maybe only some versions of M510??) or maybe new motors, will let us change the assist levels factors.

I really do not expect Bafang to update their old motor models as M600 / M500. I think they are a company for sell and forget the product, no more investment on a product that went to market and instead focus on new products...

casainho said:
Waynemarlow said:

Thanks! So I just contacted Melody. But I will also look at the other bolt to check the other option you say - I wish to use the EBike on next weekend...
Just for reference, here is the bolt from Dengfu E10 frame:

Question: I did disassembly but I did not recorded the correct placement of this parts, that has an o-ring. What is the side of this part that should be placed near the bearing that is inside the frame, as seen on next picture??

casainho said:
Thanks. I am pretty sure I used the torque wrench to validate all of them were correctly tight, although, just when I assembled the EBike. In talks with other riders, I were told I should clean the EBike after every this full day rides with rocks, as also check every bolt with the torque wrench -- is this a good idea or can I damage the bolts after many checks?

The problem with re torqueing the bolts is that you then break the initial " Loctite " bond. Loctiting a bolt and nut is usually a one time process, once you retorque or adjust the tension you must totally remove the nut, reapply Loctite and retorque. Perhaps when you originally retorqued the bolt you moved it enough to break the bond.

I wonder whether Dengfu may have not applied enough Loctite on first fitting, my main rear linkage through bolt came loose but luckily I saw it had moved, I simply undid the bolt far enough to get a full circle of Loctitie inside the nut and retorqued. Not had any problems since.

Pity about the M600 but I suspect you are right in that it will never be updated any further, its a good engine just needing a tad refinement.

Back