Blown Controllers -HELP!!

dom

10 mW
Hi Guys
Haven't checked in for awhile -been down the last 4 months with broken legs -pretty much back on my feet now.
Problem i have is i've been running a C'lyte 72V 20A 2 speed stock controller for a few years at 115V (DrainBrain reading) and it's finally blown up.
Also very shortly after blowing that up i blew up my C'lyte 72V 40A single speed controller with the same voltage.

There is a short, i think, as they both trip the batterys when i hook and power them up -the controller light doesn't turn on anymore either.

Am running a C'lyte 48V 20A controller at the moment with the batts 2S 2P 57V total(DrainBrain reading) so the batts/wiring are still good.

Have searched for the last couple of days for what might have blown up and what to check with a meter.

I was hoping it might only be the FETS and i'll replace them with some FDP2532's

Just looking for suggestions on what else may have blown up in this situation and whether it's even worth trying to fix them.

Thanks for any help

Cheers
Dom :oops:

Hi Dom,

Great to see you around again!!!
you broke both your legs ????????? :shock:

Cheers

D

I hate it when that happens.

You should find the answers to most of your questions burried in here:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=764

If you're lucky, just the FETs blew. Almost always, they take out the little 10 ohm gate resistors with them, but those are cheap. If you're not lucky, it could blow the gate driver chip, which is a tiny little surface mounted thing.

dom said:
been down the last 4 months with broken legs
In series or parallel?

Would that qualify as e-bike failed-components?

:shock:

It's Alive, It's Alive, I say!!!!!

(Gene Wilder's voice from the movie "Young Frankenstein".)

I beginning to worry about you and not hearing from you for so long.

rick

Thanks for the welcome back guys :D

I was riding the ebike at around 50kmh when a guy did a u-turn right in front of me -no time even to brake -hit him just near the end of the front guard and flew over the top!
Broke my left femur and right ankle.
Lots of pins and plates in me now -but could have been worse. For some reason i'm only traveling at 30kmh now :lol:

Thanks for your thread Fechter -i did have a pretty good look at that but my connection has been very slow the past few days -the gate resistors seem an easy
enough fix -just hope the gate driver isn't kaput.
So it sounds like replace the FETS before being able to check if that is still OK?
Probably just order everything possibly needed to do the job to save a re-order and long wait.

Hey Decanio -fantastic to see you have your bike going -knew it would happen one of these years :lol:

Cheers
Dom

ooooh, mate sorry to hear that!!!
this is exactly the reason i ride off road!!!!
yes been a long haul but the bike is running really well for me at the moment and im loving the puma @ 72v.
wish you a speedy recovery Dom, i had to have my leg pinned and screwed after a bad soccer tackle, snapped my tibia and fibia resulting in 4 ops and a steel rod down the shin :( painful.
Hope you are 100% soon :mrgreen:

cheers

D

dom said:
Thanks for your thread Fechter -i did have a pretty good look at that but my connection has been very slow the past few days -the gate resistors seem an easy
enough fix -just hope the gate driver isn't kaput.
So it sounds like replace the FETS before being able to check if that is still OK?
Probably just order everything possibly needed to do the job to save a re-order and long wait.

Cheers
Dom

Yes, I'd just replace all the FETs and all the gate resistors and hope for the best. It's very difficult to test the gate driver chip by itself.

dom said:
Thanks for the welcome back guys :D

I was riding the ebike at around 50kmh when a guy did a u-turn right in front of me -no time even to brake -hit him just near the end of the front guard and flew over the top!
Broke my left femur and right ankle.
Lots of pins and plates in me now -but could have been worse. For some reason i'm only traveling at 30kmh now :lol:
Long time no see, Dom! How are the legs? Missing your superb design inputs.

i just repaired a controller which had a blown gate driver chip. i replaced all the fets and then it still wouldn't work. i then replaced the IR2101 on the Blue phase which had blown and it worked. i used two irons and a lot of paitents to extract the old SM chip. then i used small wires to attach the new IR2101 (not surface mount). probably the fiddlyest soldering job i have ever done!

Is there a way to tell if the controller has blown? I didn't notice smoke, or any loud noise. Should I be expecting such things?

Damn...

2 broken legs in an eBike accident due to idiot drivers and what's this guy doing? Fixing his controllers to get back on the bike - Hard Core!

If there is anything I can do to help... let me know!

-Mike

there is smoke and a pop sound if you blow the capacitors. just replace them and it usually works straight up. you would know if you dis this because you would be stressing the bike when it happened.

the FET's don't make any noise when they short out. there is usually no burn marks or smell either. you have to diagnose shorted FET's with a multimeter. check for a short circuit between all phase wires and both battery wires. a controller with shorted FET's may trip the BMS on your batteries when plugged in.

Back