Breaking in a high powered motor/insulating

Just give the bike a proper name. Like luke's high power little girls bike, DEATH BIKE. You can call yours WON'T LIVE LONG. SHORT TIMER or AMBLANCE because your on the way to the hospital. 8)

It's ok ebike11, most of us were reckless earlier in life. We are the one's that lived thru it. The one's that did not are not talking anymore.

ZeroEm said:
Just give the bike a proper name. Like luke's high power little girls bike, DEATH BIKE. You can call yours WON'T LIVE LONG. SHORT TIMER or AMBLANCE because your on the way to the hospital. 8)

It's ok ebike11, most of us were reckless earlier in life. We are the one's that lived thru it. The one's that did not are not talking anymore.

why are u so concerned with people u dont know?? Lol
If we followed youre logic then there would be no racing of any sort on the planet.

I like racing. Would like to see more ebike racing. Did not know this is what you had planned. I read more and see how you do. Hope you get the best times. Put them ICE machines to shame.

Don't want to see it on the streets to draw attention to over powered ebikes.

Ah, now I get it. He's into e-bikes and he's 11 years old.

Really don't have a problem with high powered eBikes. Just doing high speed on the roads draws attention unless your going down hill. Them roadies do 45-50 down hill.
Have a beard myself will keep me warm this winter.

ZeroEm said:
Really don't have a problem with high powered eBikes. Just doing high speed on the roads draws attention unless your going down hill. Them roadies do 45-50 down hill.
Have a beard myself will keep me warm this winter.

Texas has no winter :)

Guessing you were not down here last year, when the Natural Gas lines froze. The rest of the time would agree with you. Lived in Montana for 6 years. Seen -45 F with wind chills -65 F. Once it was below 0 F my diesel truck would not start until temperature was above 0 F again. Only had one block heater.

Re bike vs motorcycle frames.

I haven't experienced the type of bike Mad Rhino builds. I'm too cheap, rather than buy a $3-4000 DH bike, I bought a $2000 BMW to go 120 mph on.

But I was dumb enough to build a 50 mph front hub e bike to race gas bicycles. Great fun on the racetrack, but that bike was stupidly dangerous to ride on potholed city streets. 50 mph with the rear wheel 2 feet up in the air was,,, interesting.

My advice is to at least get a decent full suspension frame, one with more side to side stiffness than is typical in a beach cruiser, or cheap ass MTB. Nobody needs more high speed wobble. Going fast on that type bike is not like 50 mph on a bike shaped object from walmart.

I'm still here to talk, because I gave up motorcycles at 25, and took up nice safe things like jumping off cliffs on skis, and flying balloons. The odd thing is the only time I got sent to hospital, after a lifetime of thrill sports and highly dangerous work, was an e bike crash at 15 mph. :lol:

Danger has a relative importance according to each his own sensitivity and focus. People watching are saying ‘he will kill himself’, but this idea is very low in the pile of sensations for the one living the experience. The euphoria of success does temper the fear, and pain.

But, those who are into dangerous sports are usually conscious, and prepare meticulously. The fact is, people living carefully in fear are just as much at risk of an horrible death as those risking their lives for the pleasure of sport.

Dangerous sport is also a matter of perception. Doing it everyday does make it ‘business as usual’, and danger does fade with cumulated experience. Soon ´Wow’, becomes ‘been there, done that’.

We must not judge how others are risking their own life. The only valid disapproval is about risking other’s life. For that matter, the only fact of driving a car to work in a city crowded with pedestrians and cyclists, is more reprehensible than riding a fast bike in the middle of 2 tons moving obstacles.

Heh! Montana... '78 or '79 - 50 below,
dead battery in the old truck.
got a friend to tow me to 'jump start' it.
Noper! Wheels wouldn't turn!
Problem was the gear oil was froze.
Cozied up to the fire, and
waited til the Chinook came through. 8)

ZeroEm said:
Guessing you were not down here last year, when the Natural Gas lines froze. The rest of the time would agree with you. Lived in Montana for 6 years. Seen -45 F with wind chills -65 F. Once it was below 0 F my diesel truck would not start until temperature was above 0 F again. Only had one block heater.

ZeroEm said:

Once in a 100 years, I wouldnt complain..try going north of Montana into Norrhern Alberta. Youll be praying for the weather you had last year lol

MadRhino said:
Danger has a relative importance according to each his own sensitivity and focus. People watching are saying ‘he will kill himself’, but this idea is very low in the pile of sensations for the one living the experience. The euphoria of success does temper the fear, and pain.

But, those who are into dangerous sports are usually conscious, and prepare meticulously. The fact is, people living carefully in fear are just as much at risk of an horrible death as those risking their lives for the pleasure of sport.

Dangerous sport is also a matter of perception. Doing it everyday does make it ‘business as usual’, and danger does fade with cumulated experience. Soon ´Wow’, becomes ‘been there, done that’.

We must not judge how others are risking their own life. The only valid disapproval is about risking other’s life. For that matter, the only fact of driving a car to work in a city crowded with pedestrians and cyclists, is more reprehensible than riding a fast bike in the middle of 2 tons moving obstacles.

Excellently put!

qaivid said:
Huge difference between my DH racing bike and the girlie step through of my neighbor. Bikes are made for the purpose that they serve.

Or in the case of old DH racing bikes converted into e-bikes and ridden on the street, not made for the purpose they serve.

I have a 100hp motorbike and a downhill bike

Frankly the downhill bike is more stable at the same speeds. The downhill bike can lock both wheels at any speed on any surface, some surfaces this would result in becoming a human javelin, some it would skid.

One major advantage of the downhill bike is that when you do crash, you don't have a 200kg object tumbling around next to you. It's a 40kg object (with battery and motor) which is easily survivable if it lands on you.

Chalo needs to try a downhill bike and realize just how insanely stable and manoeuvrable they are.

mxlemming said:
Chalo needs to try a downhill bike and realize just how insanely stable and manoeuvrable they are.

I don't need to try a bike optimized inflexibly for a squirrel sized man. If I ride with the suspension bottomed out, I won't be able to figure out what you're talking about. On the other hand, any of my unsuspended bikes will ride the same for you as it does for me. The same as it does for me when I've got 100 pounds of groceries in the front box, too.

Chalo said:
mxlemming said:

I don't need to try a bike optimized inflexibly for a squirrel sized man. If I ride with the suspension bottomed out, I won't be able to figure out what you're talking about. On the other hand, any of my unsuspended bikes will ride the same for you as it does for me. The same as it does for me when I've got 100 pounds of groceries in the front box, too.

Bikes arent intended to carry 100 pounds of weight but you do it lol...thats your choice right?? Youre throwing stones in glass houses

ebike11 said:
Chalo said:
mxlemming said:

Bikes arent intended to carry 100 pounds of weight but you do it lol...thats your choice right?? Youre throwing stones in glass houses

I built my bike frame from chromoly tubing, with the design intention of carrying a passenger on the front. In the end, I decided to put a cargo box there instead. I designed it to carry myself and a front load, and that's what it's doing.

IMG_20150429_173253~2.jpg

IMG_20200924_203630860~2.jpg

If I tried to do the same job starting with a downhill racing bike, now that would be pretty dumb.

Just don't cheap out on the phase wires, insulation will melt and could possibly fry the controller.
I will have to see if my controller is fried, but its cheap.

Weight limits for bicycles from manufacturer are factors of safety in margins and is more of a liability margin then anything else. That is why brand name bikes carry insurance, do you think the back yard makers of bicycle frames are insured, Stealth, Enduro, or any mystery generic bikes off the usual suspects.

markz said:
Just don't cheap out on the phase wires, insulation will melt and could possibly fry the controller.
I will have to see if my controller is fried, but its cheap.

Weight limits for bicycles from manufacturer are factors of safety in margins and is more of a liability margin then anything else. That is why brand name bikes carry insurance, do you think the back yard makers of bicycle frames are insured, Stealth, Enduro, or any mystery generic bikes off the usual suspects.

Hi...how can i prevent damage to phase wires?
The ones from QS motor nowadays have dual wires for each phase but they are already insulated. Do you mean add more shrink wrap to the phase wires over top of the oem shrink tubing?

Need bigger wires! The wires in the motor and axel can not cool themselves. Stuff in as big as you can then just out side the axel have bigger wires connected should help pull some heat out. Your limited to how how hot your wires, motor, controller get.

ZeroEm said:
Need bigger wires! The wires in the motor and axel can not cool themselves. Stuff in as big as you can then just out side the axel have bigger wires connected should help pull some heat out. Your limited to how how hot your wires, motor, controller get.

The wires in the qsmotor seems to be very thick...i think its impossible to fit thicker phase wires through their axles

Over a decade ago, there were not as many hub motor options as we have today. The 9C was a common size and was relatively cheap.

Luke/LFP took a 9C and stripped the wires, then hand-wound it with thicker wire for a faster kV, and filled each stator-tooth with absolutely as much copper as he could stuff into them.

They had hollow axles, and he bored it out to the next 64th size of drill but, deburred, and stuffed wires through there with the bundles of heat shrink as the "thin" insulation. He kept raising the amps until it was getting very hot, and then decided to double the thickness of the three phase wires just as they exited the axle.

The extra wire-cable thickness on the outside of the motor acted as a copper "heat sink" so that the bottle-neck wires passing through the hollow axle would be less heat-stressed. Then they moved on to ventilating the side-plates with large holes to "let the heat out" [the holes were shaped like a huge flower made from penises].

He put it on a dyno and kept raising the amps until it burst into flames [on video].

Now, we have huge hubmotors available.

By installing good quality wire with good insulation at the appropriate gauge.
Dual phases or dual hall sensors?
If its dual phases I would take the spare out and up the gauge, but I think your talking sensors like MXUS.

My problem was I installed low quality wire as a "quick fix" and being lazy as I didnt want to be without my ebike.

ebike11 said:
Hi...how can i prevent damage to phase wires?
The ones from QS motor nowadays have dual wires for each phase but they are already insulated. Do you mean add more shrink wrap to the phase wires over top of the oem shrink tubing?

Back