Breaking in a high powered motor/insulating

markz said:
By installing good quality wire with good insulation at the appropriate gauge.
Dual phases or dual hall sensors?
If its dual phases I would take the spare out and up the gauge, but I think your talking sensors like MXUS.

My problem was I installed low quality wire as a "quick fix" and being lazy as I didnt want to be without my ebike.

ebike11 said:
Hi...how can i prevent damage to phase wires?
The ones from QS motor nowadays have dual wires for each phase but they are already insulated. Do you mean add more shrink wrap to the phase wires over top of the oem shrink tubing?

It has dual hall sensors...spare set, but each phase connecter has 2 seperate phase wires on each connector rather than 3 larger individual wires. So 6 total wires but on 3 connectors. Qs changed their design. I dont know what the difference it makes

That is something to think about. smaller wires are easer to get thru and fit together in tight spaces better. Maybe do some math and see if you can go to one size smaller then run a pair of them per phase....

I have project coming up like that maybe I should do the math... :shock:

I'm sure what is in my head is from reading Luke's adventures. The history here is full of information that has been done but is starting to be lost. Some older links are not available anymore. So figure my job is just to point to it. Nothing like doing it yourself.

by spinningmagnets » Oct 25 2021 8:54pm

Over a decade ago, there were not as many hub motor options as we have today. The 9C was a common size and was relatively cheap.

Thats news to me for QS, but I dont follow QS to closely. I like my Leaf 35H.
- Easier to fish through the axle, because 2 wires vs 1 bigger wire you have more cross sectional area on 1 bigger wire but its much stiffer. 2 sets of hall wires wouldnt take up to much extra space but if your squeezing every last bit of power out of your motor then its still insignificant for the jump in 1 gauge # but it might be worth it for insulation thickness. As QS just doubled their insulation thickness with 2 sets of phases.

ZeroEm said:
I'm sure what is in my head is from reading Luke's adventures. The history here is full of information that has been done but is starting to be lost. Some older links are not available anymore.
Does this thread ring a bell?

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24547

ZeroEm said:
That is something to think about. smaller wires are easer to get thru and fit together in tight spaces better. Maybe do some math and see if you can go to one size smaller then run a pair of them per phase....

I have project coming up like that maybe I should do the math... :shock:

They are already made like that by QS motors..a pair of thinner phase wire per connector.
Is the point to try and go larger because of power and heat?

markz said:
Thats news to me for QS, but I dont follow QS to closely. I like my Leaf 35H.
- Easier to fish through the axle, because 2 wires vs 1 bigger wire you have more cross sectional area on 1 bigger wire but its much stiffer. 2 sets of hall wires wouldnt take up to much extra space but if your squeezing every last bit of power out of your motor then its still insignificant for the jump in 1 gauge # but it might be worth it for insulation thickness. As QS just doubled their insulation thickness with 2 sets of phases.

Ill try a post a pic soon...QS has the standard 3 phase connectors but 2 phase wires on each

Looking at a AWE wiring chart. If you drop down one size and double it close to the same as next size bigger. Don't know how it comes out in size with all the extra insulation. Maybe Teflon coated wire.

ZeroEm said:
Looking at a AWE wiring chart. If you drop down one size and double it close to the same as next size bigger. Don't know how it comes out in size with all the extra insulation. Maybe Teflon coated wire.

You mean doing that is a beneficial thing or doesnt affect much at all?

Beneficial if you need it. When your wires burn it would be needed. If you don't have any wiring issues then it would not affect.

Wires get hot in the axel if you stay 40a or lower, 14ga wires are ok. You want to run 50a - 80a or more then bigger wires are better. Could just buy a bigger motor. If having to redo my wires would opt to spend some time on it. Is that not what we do?

ZeroEm said:
Beneficial if you need it. When your wires burn it would be needed. If you don't have any wiring issues then it would not affect.

Wires get hot in the axel if you stay 40a or lower, 14ga wires are ok. You want to run 50a - 80a or more then bigger wires are better. Could just buy a bigger motor. If having to redo my wires would opt to spend some time on it. Is that not what we do?

The qs motor are already huge motors and phases are pretty tbick..but im running 200a so thicker is always better

If your ok with one gear. The people that run a leafmotor are using 135mm dropouts with a 7 speed. The bigger QS are good motors at a different level.

You running a 7-10sp cassette?
by ebike11 » Oct 28 2021 3:42pm

ZeroEm wrote: ↑Oct 28 2021 7:36am

The qs motor are already huge motors and phases are pretty tbick..but im running 200a so thicker is always better

ZeroEm said:
If your ok with one gear. The people that run a leafmotor are using 135mm dropouts with a 7 speed. The bigger QS are good motors at a different level.

You running a 7-10sp cassette?
by ebike11 » Oct 28 2021 3:42pm

ZeroEm wrote: ↑Oct 28 2021 7:36am

I only need one gear..not pedalling much. Qs motor does all the work. Just gotta make sure it can handle the controller etc

ebike11 said:
I only need one gear..not pedalling much.

Why have pedals, then?

giphy.gif

ebike11 said:
Why have 100 pounds of groceries on a bike?

Because I have to get them home somehow. I don't have a death dealing pollution plant to do my errands with.

biphaeboh said:
ebike11 said:
Chalo said:
ebike11 said:
Why have 100 pounds of groceries on a bike?

Because I have to get them home somehow. I don't have a death dealing pollution plant to do my errands with.

Its called uber

To each, his own.

Tell HIM that..hes the one negatively crtiquing my high speed build when it has nothing to do with him.

Tit for tat

I know, that is what this site is about facts. We have different riding styles here and they are all informative but do not mesh.
Newer people I tell them to find the group that fits them and swap info with them.

When I was younger would have been in the go fast as you can. If it can't handle it, will just burn up and get another one.
Now different things appeal to me. Still like power but want it on tap and don't use it much. Thought I wanted to go faster but not really. Want to ride far but limited to how long I can sit on my trike. So with only so much time, farther sometimes is a little faster.
Now at the point I know where the trade off is for me, between power/speed and distance.

If your not in your group you may hear things that don't fit with your ideas. I speak out at times and regret it most of the time. If bikes are not fun then what's the point. Most here like riding them, I do. They are cheap transportation and fun to ride.

Back