Can damaged motor windings be fixed?

So due to overheating my hub motor windings isolation started to burn in a few spots even Though the motor is running perfectly fine.
Is there a recommend method to fix it like thermal coating or varnish?

I already ordered hub sinks and Ferrofluid for cooling hopefully it will be good enough

If the windings insulation is burned through on the outside surface where you can see it, it's probably worse inside the coils where there's no way for the heat to escape.

I say replace or rewind your motor, and try to apply the lesson you learned by abusing your equipment.

As noted above, you may already have a worse problem than you know about. Depending on if and exactly what kind of short develops between which windings and under what conditions, you could blow the controller up applying throttle, or engaging regen, or just suddenly shorting two phases together while riding at high speed and finding yourself laying on the road from the unexpected braking that will give you (assuming a DD hubmotor).

However, if you don't mind spending money and time on a possibly futile "fix", you can get a can of clear CoronaDope and soak it into all of the windings, then let it cure (this will take a while, so plan on not using the motor for at least a few days or longer, and do all the work on it *outside*, and leave it out there for the curing).

If nothing else, the CoronaDope will harden on all the windings that it can get into, and on the stator laminations, and prevent them from moving relative to each other, so if there are any completely burned off areas, then even if it hasn't coated them, it may prevent any shorts simply by preventing relative motion between them.

It might not prevent problems...but there is a small chance it will.

I use the clear stuff (MG Chemicals 4226 Super Corona Dope) so I can still see everything under it after a repair, but they make it in black, etc., too. It'll cost around $15-$25 for the small 55ml bottle (which is probably enough to do a whole motor), and up to a hundred dollars or more for the liter bottle if you need that much.

If you have one of the cheap "1000w" motor wheel kits it'll probably be a better deal to go buy another one and swap stators (or whole motor wheels) between the damaged one and the new one, then save the damaged one for parts or emergencies. ;)

Chalo said:
If the windings insulation is burned through on the outside surface where you can see it, it's probably worse inside the coils where there's no way for the heat to escape.

I say replace or rewind your motor, and try to apply the lesson you learned by abusing your equipment.
Thanks for the advice, I did the thermal paint solution, hopefully it will last

What "thermal paint"?

Not that it really matters, but if you already did it (presumably before posting this thread, given the only ~5 hours between first post and the one where you say you did it), why ask for advice about it?

amberwolf said:
What "thermal paint"?

Not that it really matters, but if you already did it (presumably before posting this thread, given the only ~5 hours between first post and the one where you say you did it), why ask for advice about it?
A local workshop has offered me this solution which is much more simple and cheaper than rewinding.. I didn't do it before opening this thread, I just came here to read more opinions about methods of windings coating.. my motor isn't dead at all and will be cooler than ever with the new hub sinks+Ferrofluid, so rewinding is the last resort..

my controller is pretty cheap and mounted away from the battery in case the motor short circuits it somehow

I only now got to see your replies so it's not like I ignored you,but I definitely should have waited for more replies, my motor should be also waterproof now.. not sure if thermal paint is the right name for what was applied on it though :lol:

Lh100Error10 said:
amberwolf said:
What "thermal paint"?

A local workshop has offered me this solution which is much more simple and cheaper than rewinding.. I didn't do it before opening this thread, I just came here to read more opinions about methods of windings coating.. my motor isn't dead at all and will be cooler than ever with the new hub sinks+Ferrofluid, so rewinding is the last resort..

my controller is pretty cheap and mounted away from the battery in case the motor short circuits it somehow

I only now got to see your replies so it's not like I ignored you,but I definitely should have waited for more replies.. not sure if thermal paint is the right name for what was applied on it though :lol:

Back