Common sense things to do to get ready for Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
torker said:
Can you get flu twice in the same season. Or do you get a different strain? Does flu mutate like Covid has been shown to do?
Yes. You can get a different strain in the same season (or the next season.)

torker said:
Am I way off? I don't know.

In a world of virulent instant experts, you're as close to on target as it gets.

So I did think to get to the store and pick up a few things. Oops, the shelves were cleared, too late. I guess I'm doomed.

So when do you supposed they'll open the concentration camps for the sick?

Dauntless said:
torker said:
Am I way off? I don't know.

In a world of virulent instant experts, you're as close to on target as it gets.

So I did think to get to the store and pick up a few things. Oops, the shelves were cleared, too late. I guess I'm doomed.

So when do you supposed they'll open the concentration camps for the sick?

Tell you what.. I was surprised. We have one death in Ks. 200 mi. away in Kansas City 70 yr. old in nursing home.

What is it like in Cali or NY??

Ok. Been up for 20 hrs. Latr all.. Time to pass out. 😑

formula101 said:
2old said:
JackFlorey said:
2old said:
Why argue anymore about the feasibility and virtue of these precautions? All of us learned about this science in the Sixth Grade.
Well, at least most of us did. For those who didn't? Reading about basic precautions here (or from a more appropriate site like the CDC) may save a few lives.

As you know, I agree with you, but seemed to me as though we're wasting our breath on a contrarian.

Whose word is more reliable? The top biomedical researchers in the world at Princeton and UCLA or you? I'll take the word of the top researchers on the planet + CDC + NIH over that of an anon with zero qualifications.

I'm not claiming expertise, although sixth grade covered basic science, that the skin is a good barrier for germs, and that proper washing of hands removes bacteria and viruses. Every expert on every program discussing this virus mentions three things, proper washing of hands, staying six feet from others and avoiding crowds. By the way, you're a know-nothing who proves he can't remember basic science and has no intuition. That's why I say, don't bother to waste words on you and put you on ignore.

2old said:
formula101 said:
2old said:
JackFlorey said:
Well, at least most of us did. For those who didn't? Reading about basic precautions here (or from a more appropriate site like the CDC) may save a few lives.

As you know, I agree with you, but seemed to me as though we're wasting our breath on a contrarian.

Whose word is more reliable? The top biomedical researchers in the world at Princeton and UCLA or you? I'll take the word of the top researchers on the planet + CDC + NIH over that of an anon with zero qualifications.

I'm not claiming expertise, although sixth grade covered basic science, that the skin is a good barrier for germs, and that proper washing of hands removes bacteria and viruses. Every expert on every program discussing this virus mentions three things, proper washing of hands, staying six feet from others and avoiding crowds. By the way, you're a know-nothing who proves he can't remember basic science and has no intuition. That's why I say, don't bother wasting any words on you and putting you on ignore (first person ever)

And yet I have cited research (peer reviewed) from Princeton, UCLA, and NIH. As well as guidelines from CDC. I suppose they are know nothings as well. If they are know nothings then you don't even exist. But thanks for your sixth grade "expertise." :roll:

More troubling findings.

People who fully recover from the coronavirus can be left with '20 to 30%' less lung function, and gasping for breath when they walk quickly, Hong Kong doctors find

https://www.yahoo.com/news/people-fully-recover-coronavirus-left-103917303.html

People who recover from the coronavirus can still be left with substantially reduced lung functions, Hong Kong Hospital Authority have found after observing the first wave of discharged patients.

The doctors found a drop of 20% to 30% in lung capacity in two or three out of those 12 patients.

"They gasp if they walk a bit more quickly," said Dr Owen Tsang Tak-yin, an infectious-diseases expert at the authority, according to the South China Morning Post.

While it's too early to establish long-term effects of the illness, scans of nine patients in the group suggested that recovered patients had sustained organ damage, the Post reported.

Out of a global total of 128,000 infections, some 70,000 have recovered so far. More than 4,700 have died.

The illness — which presents symptoms including fever, breathlessness, and a cough — affects the elderly and those with preexisting symptoms the most.

formula101 said:
And yet I have cited research (peer reviewed) from Princeton, UCLA, and NIH. As well as guidelines from CDC. I suppose they are know nothings as well. If they are know nothings then you don't even exist. But thanks for your sixth grade "expertise." :roll:

You have quoted no one who says it is pointless to wash your hands. That is your personal INCORRECT INTERPRETATION of what you have read.

You are WRONG. Follow the advice of the professional medical authorities. Experts in epidemiology. WASH YOUR F**KING HANDS!!!

formula101 said:
More troubling findings.

People who fully recover from the coronavirus can be left with '20 to 30%' less lung function, and gasping for breath when they walk quickly, Hong Kong doctors find

Hm, did they measure the lung function of these people before the virus hit ? Doesnt like half the women and more than 2/3rds of the men smoke in China ? Would this alone not lead to a lower lung function ?

Back on topic:
You can 'make' TP from newspaper. The 'grain' of newspaper goes top to bottom. Crease and carefully tear when going cross-grain. Each quadrant of newspaper will make 2 wipes. Ball up and squeeze each quadrant repeatedly to soften the paper before tearing into the two final pieces. Fold the final piece to make a 2-ply, and wipe with the grain.

We perfected this in Scout training, but it was not intended for flush toilets. Flushing newspaper is not recommended.

I've been working for a '3rd party' delivering restaurant food for a few years and have noticed that the hot taps in the restrooms are now warm, when before they were always ice cold. Also, some of the restaurants are starting to staple or seal the food at the restaurant. This is great because the restaurants know their menu better than the drivers and it prevents the need for drivers having to pop open clamshells.

At the first delivery company I worked for, the drivers had to correct the order on their own time if they didn't leave the restaurant with what was listed. My fellows drivers thought I was crazy because I spent my own money on food-service 'gloves' to inpect orders. The industry has gone to holding the restaurants responsible for getting the order right, so the drivers now just verify counts of containers. There are still places that send out 'open top' shakes, and I'm the weirdo who insists that the restaurants cover them with foil or plastic wrap.

Also, I watched a famous 'wet donut' franchise take people's travel mugs to refill and use the same stirring spoon without sanitizing it between stirs of different customers' cups! Beware low-paid and first-job food workers.

markz said:
Anyone thinking of going to a less populated area for a few months to wait out the Pandemic?

Come on over to good ole Udall America. Only 800 people. I live in the big stone house. I'll even loan you a pistol.. 😏

markz said:
Anyone thinking of going to a less populated area for a few months to wait out the Pandemic?
Nope. You're more likely to get sick from doing that than by staying home and taking normal precautions.

JackFlorey said:
markz said:
Nope. You're more likely to get sick from doing that than by staying home and taking normal precautions.

Its sooo cold here though.
Its a great excuse to head to warmer climates!

markz said:

I moved. Finland is slipping towards Italy’s situation within the next few days.

In the cities shops are open but all of them are deserted. People only go outside to piss their dogs.

In a way I want to respect the monoculture. I can see that all other people have taken this seriously even before any curfews or orders. Therefore I will as well. Prime Minister recommended to avoid public and the effect has been imminent. No more loiterers, clothing shoppers or eat-in restaurant customers.

Here on the countryside things are running more normally. Local village was seemingly deserted and the good old gas-station café was empty. Closest cases of corona are still 30km’s away from here. Otherwise no major difference to normal. Canned pea soup, beer and toilet paper stocks were low though. That’s the most Finnish way to prepare into a crisis😆

markz said:
JackFlorey said:
markz said:

Its sooo cold here though.
Its a great excuse to head to warmer climates!
The weather in BC is better, but you'll probably catch it.

If I'm completely honest, I spent the last 3 weeks of January with some sort of respiratory infection. Started with a swollen lymph node in my neck, then moved to my throat chest and sinuses but it was unlike any illness I can recall ever having. Extremely dry, but very congested and difficulty breathing. Pervasive as well. I rarely get sick and when I do I tend to recover quickly. Not this time. 3 full weeks, at least. When I finally grabbed a bottle of expectorant cough syrup I was able to start coughing phlegm up and it was not the consistency one would expect to be coughing up. Almost the springy consistency of balled up rubber cement, or cheese that had been out of the fridge a while. Honestly hard to describe. Extremely sticky, held it's shape when squished gently, and turned into a paste when rubbed between my fingers.

I joked the whole time that I had the wutang virus, but in retrospect I very well may have. The first thing that really gave me pause was when I saw the 99 B-line bus with the digital sign that referenced "DRR". I went home, googled it, and realized it was in reference to "Disaster Response Route", which 104 ave in Surrey just happens to be. That was in late January or early February. I suspect the government knew far more than they were telling us, even back then.

Oh, and guess what? My wife and I are both coming down with something. Guess how it's presenting itself? Same as last time.

Wish I had gotten my restricted FAC when I had the chance.

Today the RCMP had multiple cars circling the parking lot of the Save On in Burnaby. Just waiting for something to pop off. They know what's probably coming, and it ain't good.

HK12K said:
Oh, and guess what? My wife and I are both coming down with something. Guess how it's presenting itself? Same as last time.
Hope you both get better soon. My whole family has had something flulike but it hasn't hit me yet.

JackFlorey said:
HK12K said:
Hope you both get better soon. My whole family has had something flulike but it hasn't hit me yet.
Thank you. I hope your family recovers quickly and you are able to escape unscathed. All of you, in fact.

TBH, I would pass right on by that whole Vancouver area. It was never my cup of tea, too large, too many people, lots of "foreigners"
I would head on over to the island, Victoria, Nanaimo, Sooke (Justins ole stomping grounds). Do a shit ton of fishing :wink:

What do you mean FAC?
Pop-off you mean typical shootings GVA has?

HK12K said:
Surrey just happens to be. That was in late January or early February. I suspect the government knew far more than they were telling us, even back then.

Wish I had gotten my restricted FAC when I had the chance.

Today the RCMP had multiple cars circling the parking lot of the Save On in Burnaby. Just waiting for something to pop off. They know what's probably coming, and it ain't good.

Since Greyhound stopped, there is one long distance bus, Rider Express, 12 hrs and Im in Van, probably an hour on transit to ferry terminal, 2.5-4 hrs on Ferry.

Gotta get my portable/baggable/bikeboxable ebike ready asap!
Though I heard BC, Van/Vic are stricter on ebikers. They also have law that everyone needs to wear helmet. My large head fits no helmet. Dilemma beyond tix

https://scitechdaily.com/potential-global-spread-of-new-coronavirus-mapped-by-new-study/
Start picking your fishing spots!
Lower Van Isle looks kinda purplish :(
map.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back