Common sense things to do to get ready for Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
markz said:
What do you mean FAC?

Firearms card. Not that I'm going all alarmist or anything, but should a literal worst case scenario hit out society and things turn all Mad Max on us, it would be nice to be able to protect my family and hang onto whatever supplies we do have.

Not that I really expect it to come to that, but looking at the grocery stores and how the masses are reacting to all of this it's not a big stretch to imagine. If one day the stores just don't open or the taps happen to run dry... well. Let's try not think about that.

"Pop-off you mean typical shootings GVA has?"

Not exactly what I was thinking, but perhaps if things really go sideways. I was thinking more like people dashing off with carts full of unpaid whathaveyou, fistfights, parking lot robberies. Your guess is as good as mine what they're waiting for, but the cops were circling like sharks and there was nothing mentionable going on, at least that I saw.

markz said:
Since Greyhound stopped, there is one long distance bus, Rider Express, 12 hrs and Im in Van, probably an hour on transit to ferry terminal, 2.5-4 hrs on Ferry.

Gotta get my portable/baggable/bikeboxable ebike ready asap!
Though I heard BC, Van/Vic are stricter on ebikers. They also have law that everyone needs to wear helmet. My large head fits no helmet. Dilemma beyond tix

Yeah, I wouldn't really want to be on a bus for that long of a period under the circumstances.

As for ebikes, there is one cop in Nanaimo (or was it vic?) who has apparently misunderstood the law and has applied it as he personally sees fit. The guy doesn't understand how commas work. Despite the courts throwing out every ticket he has issued on the matter he claims it doesn't matter and will continue to issue tickets. In his mind if it isn't a pedalec, it's illegal.

I've done 3000km in the past year riding through the mainland cities on a Raptor 140. Surrey, Langley, New West, Burnaby, Coquitlam, Vancouver without a single issue. (Knocks wood). The one time I had a police encounter I expected him to give me crap for no lights as it had just gotten dark. I immediately started apologizing about not having any and he had a confused look on his face and asked how I liked the bike. Chatted a min and was on my way without either of us stepping off/out of our vehicles.

B.C. Related, https://globalnews.ca/news/6627505/coronavirus-covid-canada-timeline/

Jan. 28, 2020: Health officials in British Columbia say a man in his 40s is presumed to have the new coronavirus and is doing well as he recovers at his Vancouver home. B.C.’s health officer, Dr. Bonnie Henry, says the man often works in China and voluntarily isolated himself upon returning to Canada.

Feb. 4, 2020: Health officials announce another presumptive confirmed case in B.C. Henry says the woman had family visiting from China’s Hubei province and she is in isolation at her home.

Feb. 6, 2020: Henry announces two new cases of COVID-19 in B.C., noting both people were in the same household as the woman diagnosed with the province’s second case.

Feb. 14, 2020: Officials in B.C. announce the province’s fifth case of COVID-19. The woman in her 30s who lives in B.C.’s Interior recently returned from Hubei province.

Feb. 19, 2020: Henry announces that the person diagnosed with B.C.’s first case of the new coronavirus has recovered. It’s the first time this has happened in the province.

Feb. 20, 2020: A woman who recently returned from Iran is diagnosed with British Columbia’s sixth case of COVID-19. She’s the first person in the country diagnosed with the illness who did not recently visit China. Meanwhile, in Ontario, the man who had Canada’s first case of the virus is cleared after testing negative for the illness twice in 24 hours.

Feb. 24, 2020: Henry announces a seventh person in B.C. has been diagnosed with the new coronavirus. The man in his 40s was in close contact with the woman who has the province’s sixth case of the illness.

Feb. 29, 2020: Health officials in British Columbia say a woman in her 60s who travelled from Iran is the eighth case of COVID-19 in the province. Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says the woman has a relatively mild case and she is in self-isolation at home. Health officials in Ontario report another three cases — two women who had recently made separate trips to Iran, and the 69-year-old husband of one of those women, who had no recent travel history.

March 4, 2020: B.C. announces a new case — a woman who had recently traveled to India and Hong Kong. According to Henry, the woman is in her 80s and is currently in critical condition while under isolation at a Vancouver General Hospital’s ICU.

March 5, 2020: B.C. announced eight new cases, including Canada’s first-ever case possibly contracted within the community, rather than through travel or contact with other cases. Ontario announced three new cases, including the first in the Waterloo region. Quebec announced one confirmed case and one presumptive case, while Alberta announced its very first presumptive case. All the new cases are reportedly in stable condition.

Yeah, we're flush with it. ...and those are just the reported cases with confirmed tests.

My landlord got sick too. They put him on antivirals but never did a covid test. He took his family and fled to Fiji.

Where was it, Ohio I think, that estimated they had over 100,000 cases in that state alone. Unconfirmed because there weren't enough tests to go around or some such. Which is telling. I mean, if you only have 10 test kits you're only going to have 10 confirmed cases. Food for thought. The reported numbers are likely the proverbial tip of the iceberg.

GVA has a problem when it comes to the virus.
The Asian population, and East Indian population which travels back and forth.

Need to get to more desolate and unpopulated areas is the key to surviving the zombie apocalypse. Zombies being the infected with Corona virus.

Clipboard0211.jpg

in Vancouver/GVRD if your caught using a pellet gun in your backyard, its upto 6 months in jail and a $2500 fine. same if you get caught with a sling shot in Vancouver.

I really don't think guns will be a big issue in the big city but the small towns in BC have a lot of guns. I wouldn't want to be a stranger showing up in a small town with a virus out break and Id hate to get stuck in a small town on quarantine island with an outbreak. im just going to keep doing what I always do, im already a keep to myself type that doesn't like crowds. Supposedly BCs supply chains aren't at risk and the govt is saying you don't need to stock up, but im always stocked up and I still haven't heard of a baggage handler infected yet so im not worried about buying goods or touching the packaging. how about postal workers? any of them infected yet?

you really should stop in Vancouver and try the foreign food, its actually pretty good and them foreigners don't bite.

goatman said:
in Vancouver/GVRD if your caught using a pellet gun in your backyard, its upto 6 months in jail and a $2500 fine. same if you get caught with a sling shot in Vancouver.

I really don't think guns will be a big issue in the big city but the small towns in BC have a lot of guns. I wouldn't want to be a stranger showing up in a small town with a virus out break and Id hate to get stuck in a small town on quarantine island with an outbreak. im just going to keep doing what I always do, im already a keep to myself type that doesn't like crowds. Supposedly BCs supply chains aren't at risk and the govt is saying you don't need to stock up, but im always stocked up and I still haven't heard of a baggage handler infected yet so im not worried about buying goods or touching the packaging. how about postal workers? any of them infected yet?

you really should stop in Vancouver and try the foreign food, its actually pretty good and them foreigners don't bite.

Really? The more you know! Remind me to keep my co2 daisy pistol out of sight. The spiked bat is still ok though, right?

Lots of good foreign food in Van and surrounding areas but frankly despite how often the Chinese food is talked-up by tourists I've yet to have a meal in one that wasn't outright disgusting. I pretty much gave up wasting time and money trying to find a palatable one.

That said, have you tried Manis in whalley? Malaysian food, and quite delicious if I do say so. Tasty Indian Bistro in Delta is another favorite as well. Mmmm, Tasty. Lol

Naw, I've tried to "like" vancouver and area, not my thing.

As for fines and inprisonment, its laughable. But I could see when it comes to pellet and air guns a more stricter look, but for other "harmless" actions, like 500W instead of 250W, its a joke. Never seen a ceo get more then a slap on the risk for outright, blatant safety violations on construction sites. OSHA says, Up to $5,000,000 and yrs and yrs inprisonment, ask the safety suit and he says never has been applied. Could be good lawyer affect, big fi$h vs minnows like us. Remember when taxman caught richie riches evading taxes, nothing happened, no teeth, just paid back. Little guy gets raped by smiling taxman.

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/green-leader-david-coon-wont-163536732.html
Title - Unprecedented day in legislature as budget, carbon tax bills pass in 17 minutes
Would normally take weeks the article says.
"MLAs crammed what would normally take weeks of debate, committee sessions and votes into a 17-minute blitz that also passed the government's carbon-tax legislation. "

Seems to me they have fooled the voting public. Hopefully that bill that got passed doesnt hurt too bad for the public.
Sneeky bastids!

markz said:
https://ca.yahoo.com/news/green-leader-david-coon-wont-163536732.html
Title - Unprecedented day in legislature as budget, carbon tax bills pass in 17 minutes
Would normally take weeks the article says.
"MLAs crammed what would normally take weeks of debate, committee sessions and votes into a 17-minute blitz that also passed the government's carbon-tax legislation. "

Just needed to light a fire under their asses to get things done. Though I wonder who is on the hook for the carbon tax related to said fire.

...Carbon tax. What a joke. It's ok to create co2 so long as the government gets their cut. As if raising the cost of gasoline, natural gas, etc is going to keep people from using it. It doesn't, it just leaves them less money with which they can use to survive. Yet these stupid shits cheer for it. Regulating commercial emissions I'm cool with, but we don't need any more pressure from that governmental boot on our collective throats.

save-on video, east van fraser and 50th, you get tandoori, butter chicken and east indian BBQ in a bag take it home and BBQ it, yes raw chicken from the video store. or atleast they used to, haven't been there in awhile.

spring break pellet gun from crappy tire easily modified to 1000fps, youtube it. youre allowed to use it in your house, pellets are cheap and its silent. im 100% positive someone on this site has electrified door knobs and tasers thatll blow a wu-flued zombies head off. probably dog dipstick

Punx0r said:
formula101 said:
And yet I have cited research (peer reviewed) from Princeton, UCLA, and NIH. As well as guidelines from CDC. I suppose they are know nothings as well. If they are know nothings then you don't even exist. But thanks for your sixth grade "expertise." :roll:

You have quoted no one who says it is pointless to wash your hands. That is your personal INCORRECT INTERPRETATION of what you have read.

You are WRONG. Follow the advice of the professional medical authorities. Experts in epidemiology. WASH YOUR F**KING HANDS!!!

CDC says you need to wash and scrub thoroughly both sides and in between fingers for a full 20 seconds MINIMUM. What percentage of the population is doing that consistently? I have seen exactly one person in my lifetime follow these recommendations in a public restroom.

No one washes their hands for 20 seconds or more, much less thoroughly scrubbing with soap.

goatman said:
save-on video, east van fraser and 50th, you get tandoori, butter chicken and east indian BBQ in a bag take it home and BBQ it, yes raw chicken from the video store. or atleast they used to, haven't been there in awhile.

spring break pellet gun from crappy tire easily modified to 1000fps, youtube it. youre allowed to use it in your house, pellets are cheap and its silent. im 100% positive someone on this site has electrified door knobs and tasers thatll blow a wu-flued zombies head off. probably dog dipstick

Consider it youtube'd. I bet those aren't sold out yet. :thumb:

Might have to go rent a video one of these days too. Lol

goatman said:

Bylaw would state- no discharging within city limits, even if private land, even if inside home. Would go for Slingshot as well, home made stuff too. Co2 cartridges are fine for filling up bicycle tubes, but dont make a hobby of making something else for it to do.
I once saw a frocking teen punk with an air gun from Princess Auto, looked real to me. I hope he is not in the ground but wouldnt surprise me.

markz said:
You are hurting for CSIS to snoop on ya are you. Sheesh.

HK12K said:
Consider it youtube'd. I bet those aren't sold out yet. :thumb:

Might have to go rent a video one of these days too. Lol
I'm sure they have far more interesting people to observe. Nothing to hide here. Not that they could find their dicks in the dark anyway.

Well if you got a beard and dark'ish skin from certain part of the globe.
Otherwise you got a point, they are too busy harrassing and sexually assaulting the females in the biggest gang in the world. Blue's

HK12K said:
I'm sure they have far more interesting people to observe. Nothing to hide here. Not that they could find their dicks in the dark anyway.

markz said:
Well if you got a beard and dark'ish skin from certain part of the globe.
Otherwise you got a point, they are too busy harrassing and sexually assaulting the females in the biggest gang in the world. Blue's

HK12K said:
You just described 95% of the people in my city. Not including myself. :lol:

They said to self isolate yourself if you think you have symptoms.
How many will milk this epidemic for time off?

Come Monday.
Ring ring ring
"yeah, hello boss, (cough cough, hacking flem) I am feeling fainty and I have a fever."

markz said:
They said to self isolate yourself if you think you have symptoms.
How many will milk this epidemic for time off?

That will largely depend on whether or not someone is paying them to stay home I suspect. Long term anyway. Short term, I suspect it will be many.

markz said:
Cdn gov't has eased the threshold for money, EI for example.

Got milk?

With what they collect in property and income taxes, they can probably afford it. Not to mention that sweet sweet money for nothing carbon tax. Cha-ching.

https://stlawyers.ca/blog-news/coronavirus-and-employment-insurance-in-canada/
Can I collect Employment Insurance (EI) if I self-isolate or quarantine?

You can collect EI if you have to take time off work due to a quarantine or self-isolation. You may also be eligible for EI if you are unable to work due to illness caused by the coronavirus. On Wednesday, March 11, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced EI assistance for workers who self-isolate due to COVID-19. The federal government is waiving the one-week waiting period for Employment Insurance benefits for Canadians who are not working because of the outbreak. Under regular circumstances, individuals would have to wait one week before the start of EI payments. That would mean that for a two-week quarantine, you would only receive benefits for one of those two weeks. The elimination of the waiting period means that someone can receive benefits for a complete quarantine period that runs for 14 days.

Canada took a similar step during the SARS outbreak in 2003 in an effort to encourage employees to stay home. At that time, the waiting period for EI benefits was set at two weeks.

Greetings, preppers. If you're acting this way now, what are you going to do when you really are hungry?

markz said:
Anyone thinking of going to a less populated area for a few months to wait out the Pandemic?

They'll wind up with 10-20 times the people and ONE of them will bring it along.

So the CDC says 1,600 cases in America, CNN says 2,800. Which small state was in their governor said they had 10,000? Where would we be without these people who have it on better authority than the CD?

So my point is; it's getting to feel like a recession. Because that's what they're using to fight 1,600 cases of the flu. My regular grocery store cut their hours from 18 to 12. Oops, how will these people pay their bills? Unemployment benefits keep coming up. Schools are closing up or at least laying off staff, someone I know told me today he lost his school job this week. How many people who stocked up will be living on that because they lost their job instead of a quaratine?

But if I don't work, I have SOME income, (Unless. . . .) SOME money saved. (Oh, things can happen to that too.) But dang, no job, no school, no library, (Did they close yours, too?) What in the world will I do with myself? No NASCAR race today or tomorrow or. . . ?

These are only a few of the petty or not so petty things we're now guaranteed to go through even if we eventually learn that for every 1,600 cases we know about there might be a quarter million that are no big deal and this is a false alarm. Which could still happen. The recession is probably already a sure thing.

So how are you gonna behave when you really are Hungry? When it's not just another of those internet arguments you love so much and you really do want whatever sick people near you locked up, but then try to refuse to go when you're sick?

Ah well, it's hayfever time in SoCal and I already had my first nosebleed of the year before the rain started sparing me for a time. I wonder how people will react if I get one in public?

Ba-Bing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back