Conversion of a Bultaco Sherpa

Yes I am optimistic and a 2 hour power outage doesn't scare me.I won't use a single drop of gasoline for so little

PITMIX said:
Yes I am optimistic and a 2 hour power outage doesn't scare me.I won't use a single drop of gasoline for so little

Well, I don't know which news YOU read,
but those which I read (ecowatt)
were talking about power cuts from 8:00-13:00 AND from 18:00-20:00.
Which is a little more than 2 hours... :wink:

And most likely those will not happen during working days, when people will be out of their houses at work,
but on weekends and holidays, when everyone is at home and consumes a lot of electricity.

That's not the power outage time but the hours during which they can occur. Power cuts will never exceed 2 hours. This is called load shedding we will be notified in advance if this is to happen.
Power cuts only depend on the overconsumption of households and the severity of winter. So all of this remains hypothetical. Which allows me to be optimistic.
The president simply wanted to warn the population of this eventuality, because as a Frensh proverb says
"Prevention is better than cure".

Thanks for the explanation.
Apparently I did not understand the news properly.

I have bought my generator long time ago, because the power supply is not very reliable here-
we have short blackouts a few times per year, often in summer, and then I always worry about the content of the freezer etc.

Just thought now would be a good opportunity to install it properly, with a switch to change between "grid" and "generator".
If I will not need it, even better.

As I said already -I feel better being prepared for possible problems.
In such times you never know what else will come up...

We wish you a good year and have a lot of happiness for this new year unlike the year 2022 for you.

After a looong break due to familiar and health issues, I am back, and I finally want to try to get the Bultaco back to driving.

Unfortunately, the notebook which I have been using with the Kelly software is not working anymore, so I tried to use the mobile phone app, although the app looks really strange on the phone screen.

But even worse:
If I switch on the controller, it immediately starts moving the sprocket (just a few millimeters forward and backward)-seems it is trying to do the "angle setting" function.
The Kelly software on the mobile phone says it cannot connect, but the flashlight in the Bluetooth adapter of the Kelly controller stops flashing when I click on "connect"-this normally indicates that the connection between app and controller is established.
But this "angle setting process" never ends.
Whenever I switch the controller on, it starts to do that, maximum time I was waiting for it to end was ~30 minutes-but according to the manual it should not last more than 2-3 minutes.
Has anyone an idea what I can do?
Is there a possibility that, if I disconnect all the wires between controller and motor, connecting only the thin power wire to the controller, that I can access it and change the setting which causes this behavior? The manual says this behavior is launched by the entry of "170" in one of the fields- if there is "85", the controller will think the "angle setting process" was successfull.

Is there a possibility that, if I disconnect all the wires between controller and motor, connecting only the thin power wire to the controller, that I can access it and change the setting which causes this behavior? The manual says this behavior is launched by the entry of "170" in one of the fields- if there is "85", the controller will think the "angle setting process" was successfull.
I've read of this behavior, but I've never experienced it.
Unplugging the hall sensor should do the trick.

Also welcome back🥳

I've seen posts about this, but I don't recall a resolution to them. Your best bet is to contact Fany at Kelly directly to see if they can provide a procedure or reset to bring it back to normal operation.

I would try removing the chain to remove any load to the motor, then do the angle test again.
Or I would just ditch the Kelly and get a better controller, but that's just me being a Kelly hater there hehe.

Happy to see you back!

I would try removing the chain to remove any load to the motor, then do the angle test again.

Happy to see you back!
Oh-I didnt mention it because it appeared self-evident. Of course I have the chain removed. The motor has only the sprocket to its axle.
Thanks for the welcome.

I have now written an email to the Kelly customer support, describing the problem and asking them about a way to reset the controller. I hope they will reply...

Thanks to everybody for the welcome :)

Just in case you haven't seen it yet:
Here is a link to a YT video I made about my build, including some short riding sequences.
It is not listed on YT, so you will not find it there unless using my link.

Last edited:
I have now written an email to the Kelly customer support, describing the problem and asking them about a way to reset the controller. I hope they will reply...

Thanks to everybody for the welcome :)

Just in case you haven't seen it yet:
Here is a link to an YT video I made about my build, including some short riding sequences.
It is not listed on YT, so you will not find it there unless using my link.
Fantastic build sir, looks very clean and just awesome to save a real Bultaco. Best regards bro! ⚡

Got reply from Kelly. They told me to "Remove the Hall plug of the motor, then turn on the power and wait for 3 minutes before connecting to the user software." I did so and indeed, the Controller was accessible to remove the entry "170" which caused the angle setting process.
But I am still not getting on.
After changing the setting for the "angle" back to the "neutral" setting "85", I could use the throttle and spin the motor, but it turned in the wrong direction. I activated the "change direction" option, restarted the controller, but then it didnt react to the throttle any more. :(

I am not really sure how to proceed.
Actually I am considering to remove the complete wiring and redo it step by step.

Oh boy.
Maybe try disconnecting the battery and see if that helps?
Are you using Bluetooth to connect to it?
I've been having issues with Kelly dongles recently and the the newer ETS PC Software works much better.

Hi, so where are you in commissioning your electrical kit?
You had to connect only the accessories essential to operation such as the accelerator, the engine and the battery, without going through the motorcycle's electrical harness.

I am making slow progress. This is because I want to alter the whole wiring-I was putting it together quite unsorted, what makes error search way too complicated. So I decided to make all wires go to the frame triangle , and do all connections there. Additionally, I want to make the 12V part switchable, so that I can drive completely without it.

Back