CYC PHOTON

The only reason I would buy a CYC is because I can't fit a Bafang BBSHD on my full suspension mountain bike, a Decathlon AM500S

The sloped down tube on the AM500S bike doesn't allow enough ground clearance

The only option is a motor that can be fitted inside the bike triangle, such as a CYC motor. Moreover, it has to be pressfit 92 compatible

In fact I think the ideal motor for MTB is the Bafang Ultra, but indeed it need a special frame... :|

Yes, the Bafang BBS motors, especially the BBSHD, have turned out to be good DIY choices - price, programming, longevity, ability to overpower, and available repair parts to name a few positives. But few of these attributes could have initially been predicted. Thanks to continued production and availability, thousands of installs, and years of real world use, we know them now.

But, the BBS stock controllers are limited and dumb, and don't even protect from overheating. Also, the chain line is often a problem, unless a pricey chain ring is added or other cog arrangement compromises made. Yes, the BBSHD "core" is has turned out to be capable, but it's the aftermarket that brings it alive - IMHO.

Similar pros and cons can be said about the Tongsheng.

So, what am I babbling? We don't yet know what the CYC Photon is going to be capable of, or what it's weaknesses will be. Time will tell, along with aftermarket acceptance and capabilities. I think it'll slot in somewhere power and fitment wise. All we can do now is ponder over the pathetic pictures and skimpy details, and pontificate.

I have a guest bike that I'd might like to try the Photon on, as I think some of my guest riders (who haven't ridden bikes in decades) would be more comfortable with the way torque sensing works. Yes, I considered the Tongsheng.

As a DIYer and pessimist, I'm surprised we have as many choices as we have.

pxl666 said:
dude . not very easy is to get Yamaha motor with Yamaha battery and Yamaha display...not to mention price. and you seriously want to compare this to motor that goes to almost any frame and takes any battery you connect to it?? really ? and please show me this abundance of projects with Yamaha or Bosch motor . I'm eager to see them.
Why ?… they are not the only other mid drives available !
Watch the video’s, do more research and see how many other options are around beyond cyc, Bafang, TS,.

Hillhater said:
pxl666 said:
dude . not very easy is to get Yamaha motor with Yamaha battery and Yamaha display...not to mention price. and you seriously want to compare this to motor that goes to almost any frame and takes any battery you connect to it?? really ? and please show me this abundance of projects with Yamaha or Bosch motor . I'm eager to see them.
Why ?… they are not the only other mid drives available !
Watch the video’s, do more research and see how many other options are around beyond cyc, Bafang, TS,.

pls stop this b%@&hit . I did my research ,found not much . you started this, so you show me these "options" . not to say that you make off-topic here but I want to see them . go ahead bro

stick to the topic. there are topics for m620 . not this one clearly ... i see you lost somewhere in the internet . please go ...

calm down everyone. these are from a European bicycle trade show a few weeks back. missing is any detail re: another kit being developed by cyc called the "proton". not to be confused with the photon. these products are unreleased and likely details will change by the time they are released (according to cyc, this month). then we can debate the details but I'll wait until users share their actual experience installing and riding the kit.

cheers!

Attachments

• 2022_07_21_11_19_Office_Lens.jpg
    2022_07_21_11_19_Office_Lens.jpg
    645.7 KB · Views: 1,445
  • 2022_07_21_11_20_Office_Lens.jpg
    2022_07_21_11_20_Office_Lens.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 1,445
AZeBikeGuy said:
People use their bikes many, many different ways and have just as diverse preferences in their equipment

Just because one "likes to pedal" doesn't mean they prefer a torque sensing bike - I pedal 100% and I pedal hard... have ridden torque sensing bikes and can't stand them, vastly prefer cadence sensing

500W max power would be bare minimum for me and I can live with 750W... I do have a BBSHD andI likely use >750W <1%of the time but in heavy head winds and up slopes 750W is good to have, especially off-road and it does get used... the >750W is nice to have even if just for that <1%... frankly all things being equal can't have too much power on tap
i-xjvC9HK.gif

It's good to see options but unless the torque sensing can be eliminated or at least completely minimized I won't have any use for it

The speculated price is painful but I think it's just speculation at this point

Cadence sensing is crap for mountain biking though

Not only for mountain biking. Even on regular bike motor with torque sensor + cadence sensor will give you much better assist when going uphill. Motor with torque sensor is able to calculate your pedaling power and thus it can automatically increase assist power when you really need it. In primitive bafang (Do-IT-Yourself solution) motor you do not have that luxury. You must reduce gear in order to increase cadence and thus increase motor power assist. Very outdated solution. These days all midrive motors have torque sensor + cadence sensor. Only Bafang for DIY is still living in the past. However They do that on purpose because they do not want to cannibalize bafang motors designed for OEM. Those motors always have torque sensor + cadence sensor like BOSCH,BROSE,SHIMANO,YAMAHA,DAPU,ANANDA and so on.

will you please stick to the topic and start different thread to argue which is better? this one is devoted to photon and not bafang ...

anyone got price information/ speculation on this cyc photon? i assume it might cost more than a bbshd kit?

motor clearly exists and what we don't know is it's price and specs . it's obvious for me that it can easily outperform tsdz2 in all aspects . given that fact is enough to assume that it will be good . imho only one aspect is the key and it is photon's price .
tsdz2 is just cheap and reliable enough but a little better motor can make huge difference and photon might be the one .

dirtgoon said:
Cadence sensing is crap for mountain biking though

Maybe for some - not for me

I ride in serious off-road and still vastly prefer cadence sensing with a throttle for the precise control over torque sensing... but then again I just don't like torque sensing...

Different strokes

As long as I can take the torque sensing out of the picture, have a throttle and the price is attractive, this might be good for me... but I require those things

I heard that you guys in states love automatic transmissions... Almost every car has it. We here in EU prefer motors with torque sensors + cadence sensors. Ebike with cadence sensor only is too primitive and does not give natural riding experience. END OF STORY!

Another thing. Why americans are so obssesed with the throttle? Buy yourself a motor bike if you like that kind of experience.

Ps. In CYC X1 STEALTH you can disable torque sensor in the app if you really want. However for me that's a huge downgrade in terms of riding experience.

Possible pro of the new PHOTON is ISIS crankset which is far stronger than square tapper, however with such big diameter axle the bearings could be an weak point. Let see :wink:

Atak_Snajpera said:
..Another thing. Why americans are so obssesed with the throttle?
Why are euro's so obsessed with what they think americans like?
i-3dSvzJz.gif

Throttle gives instantaneous and precise control of the assist which I prefer (can't speak for americans or anyone else for that matter)

Atak_Snajpera said:
Ps. In CYC X1 STEALTH you can disable torque sensor in the app if you really want. However for me that's a huge downgrade in terms of riding experience.

I've done the opposite. I've removed the throttle and disabled to throttle sensor in the app to keep installation and handlebars clean. Using stock settings and pedal assist only in Race Mode (level 1), for commuting in my area (undulating hills, nothing steep), I can get over 30 miles (50 kms) with a 52V 8Ah battery charged to 90%.

Atak_Snajpera said:
I heard that you guys in states love automatic transmissions... Almost every car has it. We here in EU prefer motors with torque sensors + cadence sensors. Ebike with cadence sensor only is too primitive and does not give natural riding experience. END OF STORY!

Another thing. Why americans are so obssesed with the throttle? Buy yourself a motor bike if you like that kind of experience.

I'm an American that loves manual transmissions in cars and throttle on bikes.. the reason for the preference is that you have optimum levels of control over the vehicle.

Nothing inherently wrong with either.. you do you!

Looked at the specs on the photon..

190mm Q factor is crazy wide and unnecessarily so.. will lead to very poor pedaling biomechanics for most people.
Maximum pedaling cadence is stated at 190rpm.. a typical pedaling cadence is more like 80-100rpm... so that's weird.

Why would you make a lower power mid drive with these characteristics.. with lower power levels, you want to be able to pedal along.. so the crank width should be closer to normal width and the cadence should be normal human cadence..

I think the BBSHD gets this size mid drive a bit more right, despite the notably higher weight... CYC missed an opportunity here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfItwYWTklw Update : Video removed
From video:

The new CYC model is coming. Some more information:
• Ground clearance is better than Bafang
• Price is slightly higher than BBSHD, MSRP 950 USD?
• Display Option DS103, SW102 (Eggrider Display should work)#
• Chainline depends on chainring (34, 38 and 50T available)
• Bottom Bracket BSA 68-83 or BB92 or BSA 100 or BSA 120 mm
• Speed according to bike and tires, I think 50 to 70 km/h should be possible

Inicial torque is good, but I'm more for a gentle start – since Bafang had nylon gearing and also the bike transmission is lasting longer. Seeing the temperature rising that fast, I found this is more important.

Back