Cycle Analyst Android App

I agree with above post. Yes, indeed it couldn't hurt to ask and the software was given for free. it's not being modified which could damage their hardware if it was modified to write or w/e. I would rather not buy their hardware since it is developed for pedal bikes and I am not using a pedal bike. your solution seems to be the best thus far. ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=UyYAJgEblrA#t=652s

currently being used by mission motorcycles. Still trying to get my hands on either their rom build or the app. it is indeed android so should be "easy" enough.

and there is this app that I will rip into when I get home. see what's up. it may not have anything IN the app until after the code is verified and the software is downloaded from there but I'm not sure.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ridemission.drivecycle

They way I see it, the reason the app is "free" is because in order to use it you have to buy their product, and the cost of the app is factored in to the product price. It's also the main way that information gets displayed from their product, so having a separate charge to use the app would probably put a lot of people off. It's like the "free" toy that comes in kids' meals at fast food places.

I'm not against the idea, but I don't want to do anything without permission. And I don't know if I'm comfortable reaching out to them to ask for permission myself. V1x0r, you seem to know the ins and outs of this pretty well already. If you were to contact them and got their permission for us to view, modify, and redistribute their source code with the intent that it is to be re-purposed for the use with the Cycle Analyst, I would be totally on board with the idea, and I would be willing to work with anyone to get things set up.

However, it's been made very clear that anything that we could do to view their source code is a violation of the licensing agreement. In fact it looks like even posting a copy of the code falls under "redistribution", and it may be that this should be removed if we don't get permission from speedict. I do not want to cause any trouble for myself, the forum, or speedict in any way. And I know it can feel like it's not a big deal, but it is a big deal to them, and by agreeing to the EULA you are saying that you will respect their requirements for using their software.

Until someone can get permission from Speedict and/or Mission and is completely upfront about what we want to use it for (remember, they will probably consider the Cycle Analyst to be a competitor, and they don't stand to gain anything by letting us take their software that they spent money on to develop and tweaking it to add more features to their competitor's product), I would like to refrain from any more discussion about reverse engineering their app, or any app that we don't have permission to view/modify/distribute/redistribute the source code for on this thread.

I cleaned out the decompiled link. now, you mentioned that the other looked "shiny" after actually looking at their app it seems like it should be pretty simple to make the gui look like that.

Bartimaeus said:
I do not want to cause any trouble for myself, the forum, or speedict in any way ...

yes that's make sense :)

i am sure there are many bluetooth link examples available, do not need to copy speedict because they look complicated such as offline, maps, chart view, legal mode etc., all you need to do is LIVE VIEW your data.

still no word from either. :( i'm thinking the "Devs" are probably not seeing the messages. :/

Still no word. Meh, how goes your design thus far? what are you using for your development?

I bought a cheap ELM327 based bluetooth adapter that I played around with a little bit, and I talked to a friend who has done a lot of CANbus work with the Toyota Prius BMS who said that it should be pretty straightforward to implement, if a little time intensive. I've been tied up with getting the liquid cooling system I'm making for Farfle's e-supermotard finished for our first two races this weekend and next to really do anything with the app right now.

Oh fun fun. What are you using to code the app? I only modify existing work but want to build on my own.

*edit

nvm you said earlier that you used MIT's App Inventor

And, if you didn't mind would like to try to work on the GUI for you.

so, I found this. :)

http://phonegap.com/

and additional plugins. (like bluetooth and gps). :)
https://github.com/phonegap/phonegap-plugins/tree/master/Android

Huh, that's kind of cool. Only had time for a quick look, but it's cool that Adobe has come out with something for Android development. And I can't believe all of the mobile OS's they support-- will make app development so much better for everyone to be able to package for everything all from one program. Unfortunately for me I've only learned how to code with C/C++, Python, and Processing (Arduino). I know that java isn't supposed to be that hard if you understand classes and inheritance and such, but I'm afraid that it will be a while before I'm up to the task. You should see if it is possible to store data to the phone's SD card as a .txt file using this, as that is one of the major drawbacks to App Inventor at the moment and I know Justin listed that as something that he would like.

I will send you a PM with the latest app inventor stuff-- it's not ready for public download yet, as I am in the middle of trying to make it so you can edit which values are displayed where, and create custom fields to display whatever other data you might want to see (aimed towards the v3's). Feel free to tinker with it however you want, just be sure to share any changes with us and of course no taking it and trying to sell it ;) This should be a community thing.

If you got things going with phonegap and got at least the same stuff set up as what I have now I would happily stop my app inventor stuff and try to help with the phonegap project as much as I can. I know justin has mentioned a "reward" for whoever comes out with an app for the CA, but I'm only doing this because no one else seemed to be doing it and it's something I think we could really use. There's a ton of ways we can approach this problem and the biggest obstacle is getting a bunch of people committed to one of them and just making it work.

I should also mention that there's a huge need for a Windows based program for configuring the V3's settings from a GUI and programming the EEPROM on the CA directly. I've done a Windows version of the Cycle Dash that saves to a text file, and Eascen wrote something in C# that does the first step in this by reading all of the EEPROM stuff from the CA. Here's a link to my program, can't find Eascen's thing but it is on the V3 cycle analyst page (I think somewhere on pages 30-40).
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=44134

I haven't been able to start on this too much (been working on my bake just to make it more street legal and look better), that and I also only heard of this today. :) I believe it does offer SD write support and there are some really good API apps for android. :) i'll have to get on this as soon as I have more time.

I loved to see this thread about the android app with cycle analyst V3 with bluetooth.
And i heard/read about Eclipse en Android sdk and about the lack of time to build things like this.

So I played this week with Eclipse and Android SDK to make a project as the Cycle Dash app.
Here are some screenshots.

Screenshot_2013-10-31-07-15-17[1].png
Screenshot_2013-10-31-07-15-28[1].png
Screenshot_2013-10-31-07-15-36[1].png
Screenshot_2013-10-31-07-16-00[1].png

For now i have to order a bluetooth module. Bartimaeus how did you get power on the bluetooth adapter from the Cycle Analyst?
And at this moment i have a CA V2.23 does anybody know if the output stream is the same as CA V3 (in the future i will order this one).

Hi,

Good work. This application might actually serve as a good starting point
http://www.emotorwerks.com/tech/modular/83-emw/emw-technology/107-emw-ev-android-dashboard. Only problem is I see it more as a toy. Uses GPS to calculate electric range and MPG equivalent and does not have the option for an actual speedometer, so its nothing I could use permanently, hence the reason i got myself a cycle analyst instead

Also, I am curious, does the cycle analyst application show the actual distance traveled/consumed power or does it take into account previous readings, say if the system was shut down? (Like total mileage recorded by the cycle analyst)

Regards

I have just swung by this thread to see what is going on, and just thought I would tell you about a andriod app that I am using to interface with a arduino BT project that I doing, its called BTinterface ( http://www.btinterface.com/ ) I have played a little with it ( the free beta version ) and its very configurable for anyone wanting to build there own andriod Bluetooth dashboard interface.

That might come useful. I am trying to get my Bluetooth to work with android but the connection is lost after about 1 second. Works on my newer phone but the cycle analyst app doesn't. :cry:

Hello everybody,

just an update about the app i am working on.
Added the following:
- bluetooth module working (connecting and receiving serial data)
- gps enable (for logging to sd)
- logging data to SD card
- Live View with "swiping" to other pages/screen

I ordered the CA V3 so when i receive it i will have a look in configurate CA3 by bluetooth.

a view screenshots of the progress - everything is still under construction (it takes a lot of time which i don't have ;) )

Screenshot_2013-11-24-20-18-30[1].png

when you choose for start logging to SD it checks of GPS is enabled. If not you get pop up and gives you the choice to enable it. If GPS is enabled it also logs the latitude, longitude, bearing, speed, accurancy, altitude to SD.

Screenshot_2013-11-30-17-51-58[1].png

Screenshot_2013-11-24-20-19-45[1].png

The battery button: for now only the battery pack size in cells >> in liveview you get the voltage of a cell
Screenshot_2013-11-30-17-51-26[1].png

The screens for LiveView switching is by swiping the screens from left to right.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-11-30-17-52-29[1].png
    Screenshot_2013-11-30-17-52-29[1].png
    14.7 KB · Views: 3,224
  • Screenshot_2013-11-30-17-52-44[1].png
    Screenshot_2013-11-30-17-52-44[1].png
    13.4 KB · Views: 3,224
Hi Bart, nice job. Could you post the details for the Bluetooth connection? I would like to try as well. Thanks!

So, been kind of inactive, but the code for the CA:

https://github.com/Eascen/CycleAnalyst

I also got BT serial working easily enough... if someone has questions just ask.

This is pretty cool, I never saw this thread before. Always thought about buying a CA but the basic LCD screen looks so ordinary but still something I imagine some dodgey people might want to rip off my bike if I leave it locked up in public.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Sale-Smart-Universal-Bike-Bicycle-Handle-Phone-Mount-Cradle-Holder-FV88-/130978727997?pt=US_Mounts_Holders&hash=item1e7ef0c83d
I used the $4 bike phone holder above for a basic android smart phone for just gps/speed and the holder worked great.

I recon this is going to be the foundation of all bike meters in the future.

bart1006 said:
Yes of course!
What would you like to know about the bluetooth connection?

Thanks. I have some more detailed questions, as I am not really electronically educated:

• Could you post a link to where you bought the bluetooth (BT) serial connection?
  • Do I assume correctly that you connected the CAv3 serial data I/O to the separate BT transmitter?
  • Does the BT transmitter needs it's own power, or did you power it from the CA?

Thanks again!

Could you post a link to where you bought the bluetooth (BT) serial connection?

http://dx.com/p/jy-mcu-arduino-bluetooth-wireless-serial-port-module-104299

Do I assume correctly that you connected the CAv3 serial data I/O to the separate BT transmitter?
Does the BT transmitter needs it's own power, or did you power it from the CA?

I have made a picture of it:

bt_ca3.png

For now it got his own power, but i want to change that to the power output of the CA V3 (now for bike light).

Back