E-S LMX 64 Bike Owners

What I like about the LMX compared to the Flyon is what happens after the 2 year warranty. I feel the replacement of motors torque sensors etc is significantly cheaper on the LMX. I would hate to think what are motor replacement would cost on a fly on. Plus the increased wear and tear on the right hand side drivetrain. LMX has significantly less wear and tear on the right hand drive. And has significantly more power. The LMX to me seems like quite I good system to maintain and terms of replacement parts. This was my first bike build and if I can work it out being more of an intellectual rather than a practical person I feel most could do maintenance and replacement relatively easily.

I think the LMXcan be made slightly lighter than the Flyon. After riding my dad's turbo levo which is awesome, the LMX is just more planted and way more powerful

Simonten said:
What I like about the LMX compared to the Flyon is what happens after the 2 year warranty.

That is actually a very good point, both about the ease of tinkering and the lack of wear on the "bicycle" side of the drive train. The TQ120 motor is sure to wear out chains and sprockets like nobodys business with lots of hill climbing in "Extreme" mode, which is what I will be subjecting the bike to.

One concern is that there are quite a few custom made components on the LMX 64, which would require that either LMX is still in business (no guarantee of that these days given the corona situation), or that we could somehow order up replacement parts from elsewhere. A small risk but still.

On a similar topic - is the battery a one-off custom or a standard size? I'm guessing this will be the first item to benefit from an upgrade two or three years from now.

Yeah, this is one reason why I (selfishly) really like to see LMX doing so well. It really sucks when such great brands disappear and even more so for those customers who invested in them. I had that recently with Adaptto, which is one of the reasons I sold my Fighter with it's Mini-E while it was still working well.

Regarding the battery, yes they are standard(ish) size. Search Jumbo/super Shark or something like this:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33037979381.html

I have something in the works in regards to a monster battery. Stay tuned later in the year if your keen to see how I manage to cram ~2Kwh in my LMX!

Cheers

2kwh sounds very cool, my plan is just to get an extra 850Wh battery to attach underneath the frame for the really long trips.

Has anyone here got the new controller setup on their bikes? One important criteria for me is the "feel" of the pedal assist. Normal e-bikes (or at least the Bosch equipped Scott I have tried) have a wonderfully intuitive feeling where input and motor assist blend seamlessly together. Is the LMX similarly intuitive to ride at the lower assist modes? Or even the higher ones?

Does anyone have a 60mm motor on their 64? I have some heat problems in mode 3 when I throttle up a steep hard enduro trail... (I live in the alps) after like 10 minutes the motor reaches 130°C so I have to stop because I don't want to hurt the Motor... any Advise/Upgrade Ideas? Adam once talked about a 40mm motor for the 64 but couldn't find any on their website.

CD I look forward to hearing about the 2 kilowatt battery though I can imagine it would be pretty heavy.

I have the new controller and while I have little issue that has been resolved with a new wiring harness being sent to me. The torque sensing and pedal assist is amazing, I prefer it over my dad's turbo levo. I find it really is that good. Instantly on and instantly off.

Simonten said:
The torque sensing and pedal assist is amazing, I prefer it over my dad's turbo levo. I find it really is that good. Instantly on and instantly off.

That sounds very promising! I am sure I will miss the power from the Q140MD, but the light weight and smooth pedal assist will make for a different and more pedelec-like riding experience. Different tools for different uses. Pretty sure the Qulbix will be king of the jumps out in the field once I get my enduro track built ;)

jimmywazer said:
Does anyone have any tips on replacing the front sprocket? I can't get the old one off...
Yeah, it's not easy! I used a plastic tyre lever on mine. If you can't fit that in there try something thinner and just work at it from opposite sides using WD40 to get it started.

Cheers

Hey thanks for fast reply I'll try that! I just didn't dare because I dont't want to break anything 😅👌

I went and bought a specific sprocket gear puller tool, and then when I went to use it my front sprocket just pulled straight out after I had undone retention screw. My bike only has about 150kms on it.

Should my front sprocket be hard to get off?

Yes mine was really hard to get off too... but like cowardlyduck said I used 2 tire levers to pull on each side making a quarter turn every now and then... with WD40 added twice it came off smoothly after about 10mins of levering 👍

Hey, is the 'new' software update on page 13 compatible with the first prototype bikes/controllers? just want to make sure I don't mess up anything... I like the old software but I really like to have a neutral mode and disable PAS in mode 3

And how do I turn off/on the controller via the Battery? in the update description is a picture where someone holds the led power indicator button on the battery but i don't know how that's supposed to turn the controller on/off... any help/advise?

Cowardlyduck said:
That sucks hkj.
I also noticed my handlebar switch is a bit problematic.
It randomly drops down a power level sometimes and the buttons are hard to press and don't always respond.
That's why I ordered a second one when I bought some parts from LMX a while back. Still haven't swapped over to the new one yet, but testing it off the bike it does feel better than my current.

Cheers
I opened the switch once, dried it out and hot glued it back togehter to make it waterproof. Also filled some cable inserts on the bike with silicone ... And I put a a front mudguard on my swingarm to prevent water splashing from the rear tire getting to the motor/controller area. Never had water related problems since then 👍

I recognize this design, I just don't know where I have seen it before. :confused: :confused:

Attachments

• Venom_Evolution_315gradi_Logo-ore7zwhzl3j02hhg21ztobwu140nvav97ffjepzx2g.jpg
    Venom_Evolution_315gradi_Logo-ore7zwhzl3j02hhg21ztobwu140nvav97ffjepzx2g.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 1,043
efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
Venom uses regen instead of dual freewheel.. similar yes, same no;) ..

Actually it does have dual freewheels.
https://www.sem-e-mtbike.com/evolution/

The bike doesn't have a PAS & is ridden like a m/c by throttle that you can supplement with vestigial pedals to enhance the bicycle illusion. I inquired as to why no PAS & they said with 4kw pedals are unnecessary :twisted:

I believe they would also be violating Adam's patent.

Joe King1 said:

Actually it does have dual freewheels.
https://www.sem-e-mtbike.com/evolution/

The bike doesn't have a PAS & is ridden like a m/c by throttle that you can supplement with vestigial pedals to enhance the bicycle illusion. I inquired as to why no PAS & they said with 4kw pedals are unnecessary :twisted:

I believe they would also be violating Adam's patent.

The lack of PAS makes it rather useless as a bicycle to be honest. Having spent a few seasons riding my Q140MD with pedals and trying to modulate pedal and throttle input I found it was pretty much impossible. The only time I would pedal was in eco mode with the throttle pinned and the speed limit in effect, so on gravel roads at 25kph in my case. At all other times I treated the bike like a motorcycle and used throttle only, in the end I decided to remove the pedals and just have footpegs.

Properly calibrated PAS is a must in my opinion, and especially for something with only 2kw of power - the Q140MD peaked at 15kw and as such made more sense to just ride like a motorcycle anyway as there was always plenty of power available for my trail riding. Even the Q140MD comes with PAS now though ;)

PAS (cadence only) on a high power bike makes no sense, you need to have torque mesurement and the correct algorythms in order to have someting smooth.
We are working with the controllers manufaturer on futher improvements to the code for future firmware updates, especially above 35km/h where the cadence component (human watts) should take the lead over torque.
Regarding the SEM bike, they do not fall under our patent because the freewheek is not in the back. The drawback is that pedalling without motor always drives this extra chain. They took a lot of ideas and parts from our bikes in the design of theirs.
Hopefully the work we put into the drivetrain, control and homologation makes all the difference :bolt: :bolt:
Adam

True that Natas, they are not identical, but it has been said in multiple languages:
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
Anyway, my point is that can definitely apply in this case.

bzhwindtalker said:
Hopefully the work we put into the drivetrain, control and homologation makes all the difference :bolt: :bolt:
Adam

And most important, customer attention. Anyways, this copy is unable to bring the pleasure the lmx64 does ... Pedal power multiplication is the core of the lmx64 concept, which is unique at that level of torque. They dont seem to have understood the idea.

Back