E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Theodore Voltaire said:
Still no leakage after 3 days, and about 75 miles. Looks like you guys were right.

20210928-180456.jpg

Kinda sounds like some doubt seeping out there……..na, couldn’t be! :wink:

I never doubted you for a second..!! However, I tapped and plugged the hole with a 5mm screw myself... :lol:

litespeed said:
Hmm……that’s weird Theodore, not sure there would ever be a reason for holes in the casing unless your regularly riding/driving through water.

I personally believe sealed up tight is right!

Tom

It is better to have a hole than not in most cases. Once moisture gets inside it is much harder to get rid of it if the motor is sealed. If you leave your hot motor outside on a cold night, it will suck up the moist even through the tight islolations of the cables.
Now, if you have a hole, next time you heat up the motor during your drive, all moist will evaporate thorugh this hole.

Allex said:
It is better to have a hole than not in most cases. Once moisture gets inside it is much harder to get rid of it if the motor is sealed. If you leave your hot motor outside on a cold night, it will suck up the moist even through the tight islolations of the cables.
Now, if you have a hole, next time you heat up the motor during your drive, all moist will evaporate thorugh this hole.

As usual, Allex is correct. I work in the air conditioning business, and have replaced hundreds of electric motors. Every motor always has a condensate hole.

Allex said:
litespeed said:
Hmm……that’s weird Theodore, not sure there would ever be a reason for holes in the casing unless your regularly riding/driving through water.

I personally believe sealed up tight is right!

Tom

If I lived in a more humid place such as the lower southern states like Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia or Florida I could see the reasoning. Being from Missouri where we have some humidity but not the extremes of the aforementioned states I think sealed is better. In my personal experience with my QS205 V3 after taking my motor apart 4 times, day I got it, about a year and a half later when I received my Hubsinks and ferro fluid, then every 2 years to check the ferro fluid and everything is nice and shiny like new. I also don’t ride in the rain, mud or commute when it’s really hot nor cold. I guess I may be the exception and maybe also because I don’t have that many miles on my motor, I’m probably just at 6000 miles if that, I changed and updated controllers to many times to keep an accurate count.

The sealed brushless in runner motors I’ve had in R/C hobbies be it 700 sized helicopters or cars just stayed cleaner. Crazy how dirty a motor can get in a plane or helicopter which spends maybe seconds on the ground and 15 minutes in the air. I’ve never noticed a moisture problem but even with those I don’t run through water, mud or when it’s super hot or cold. Sealed just makes sense to me but I hear what your saying. I appreciate the education and your knowledge/experience.

Call me a fair weather rider/driver/flyer so I guess my experience is limited.

Tom

51369879330_59a40b2fdd_c.jpg

I have 2 holes in my motor. one near the edge and the other by the axle. The one near the edge has been threaded and has a bolt in it.. Riding in dry conditions, very occasionally finding water crossings I've noticed nothing. No rust etc. But Cali is know for a lot of things but humidity ain't one of them.. So I have no idea how my motor would look if I was somewhere wetter.

StudRock said:
LOL... you must be retired...LOL..!!

Soooo... on another note, let me ask you guys a somewhat related/un-related Stealth question. The Stealth Bike Owners thread has been open since late December of 2010, so call it, 2011... there has been over 18,000 posts in total, however, it "APPEARS", based on the number of posts in the last two years, and especially in 2021, that the Stealth following and publicity has dropped off significantly. Or, possibly I'm just missing other Forums or discussion threads, Youtube video's, etc outside of E-Sphere where Stealth bikes/Bombers are discussed. I found myself trying to research and scour other ebike forums, the web, Youtube, etc.. trying to educate myself and looking for troubleshooting information, modifications and aftermarket upgrades, etc.

While the Bomber is still regarded as the leader and baseline with regards to comparing the top of the line Performance eBikes, I see very little content in forums, youtube videos, etc.. that are specifically related to Stealth Bombers. I mean there is a handful of Youtube video (mostly marketing videos) and some riding videos, and a select few posts here and there that constantly compare their bikes to the Stealth Bomber. So my question is... why does it appear as though the following has dropped off, or possibly it didn't kick off as well as it should have for one of the top of the line performance ebikes. or maybe its my perception... Is it the cost, is it the limited support with the dealers...? I'm curious..

Dont get me wrong, I love the bike..!! I love the way it looks, I love the pedal feature at high speeds, the brakes, the performance etc.. but when it comes time for service/support or replacement parts, its challenging because the dealer usually has to contact Stealth...or you have to know people such as the Great group of guys on this forum..!! Now, take for example the Sur ron (which I'm NOT a fan of) only because it looks like an e-motorcycle and it would be a Huge issue if I were to try and ride that on the street like I do the Bomber. They (Sur ron) were established in 2014 and there is countless forums, user groups, videos and aftermarket companies that supply controllers, batteries, lighting, decals and how to's then you can shake a stick at. Please dont get me wrong, you guys on the forum that contribute and provide input and feedback are AWESOME. I've learned a ton from you guys and I can't thank you enough..!!

So my question is... based on social media and the very limited content and support of the Stealth branding, is Stealth a thing of the past or am I missing something...? Want to hear your thoughts..?
I think we will see some great things with the merger of Stealth and former Agusta CEO Giovanni Castaglioni. Wait until late 2022 or 2023, due to Covid, the new models are delayed.

I hear you StudRock. I've been pretty much saying the same thing. The problem, whatever it is, isn't the bike. The bike is great, but nobody is buying them, at least not in the DFW area with well over 6 million people. There's only 2 that I know of, mine, and my sons. Meanwhile in only a short few years we're over run with Sur Ron's, Onyx, and Super 73's. The proof is the rapidly growing aftermarket, and the hundreds of owner Youtube's which also serve as free marketing for the respective brands.

When I bought my Bomber back in 2013 I was lucky if I saw more than 1 other eBike in a year, but if I did chances were good that the owner knew a Stealth was the baddest ass eBike ever made. Now it's gotten unusual if I don't see a eBike everyday, but now it's rare that they have ever heard of Stealth, and if they have they were thinking Stealth's were more like a myth.

I'm not nearly as optimistic as Rix about Stealth bringing Castaglioni in. I don't think he knows squat about the American market, and if you're not targeting your bikes for the American market you might as well resign yourself to being a small regional brand like Stealth is/has become.

I don't just complain though, I offer answers. Stealth needs to shitcan that high priced dumbass, and hire me (work from Texas home only). My plan is to start offering street oriented models with lights, and fenders. I would keep at least one dirt oriented model, but main focus would be on the street. Only minor styling updates are needed. The only performance upgrade I would make would be to go to a more modern 80 amp controller, and 35ah battery's. I would open a real American distributor jointly owned by the Stealth factory, and American investors. In order to streamline production, I would suspend production of everything except Bombers. Once sales pick up, other models could come back online. Under my plan Stealth would own the American market in a few years. The hell with the rest of the world and their stinky little 250w bikes. Stealth always has focused of off road, and we see where that's got them. Nowhere. It's time for a change

I was interested in Stealth some years back, but turned off by:

- pressure on Aus government to tafiff imported bikes
- frame issues, also FUTR metal frames that appeared to have ripples in them
- sharp increase in bike costs when most technology decreases in cost over time
- that aftermarket dude in SA, Aus that ripped off people (not Stealth's fault or issue)
- lack of development: lighter more agile mid drive bikes available in carbon frame for much less

The big issue facing Stealth is Australian based manufacturing costs. To build anything here is dam expensive as we have one of the highest labour costs in the world.
Add to that the stupid level of regulation hurdles and compliance rules we have to comply with and it's no wonder Stealth have to charge such high figures for the bikes.
I wish them all the best, but realistically the only way they will succeed and become more than a niche is if they offshore manufacturing like almost every other overnight ebike success story has already.

Cheers

Theodore Voltaire said:
I hear you StudRock. I've been pretty much saying the same thing. The problem, whatever it is, isn't the bike. The bike is great, but nobody is buying them, at least not in the DFW area with well over 6 million people. There's only 2 that I know of, mine, and my sons. Meanwhile in only a short few years we're over run with Sur Ron's, Onyx, and Super 73's. The proof is the rapidly growing aftermarket, and the hundreds of owner Youtube's which also serve as free marketing for the respective brands.

When I bought my Bomber back in 2013 I was lucky if I saw more than 1 other eBike in a year, but if I did chances were good that the owner knew a Stealth was the baddest ass eBike ever made. Now it's gotten unusual if I don't see a eBike everyday, but now it's rare that they have ever heard of Stealth, and if they have they were thinking Stealth's were more like a myth.

I'm not nearly as optimistic as Rix about Stealth bringing Castaglioni in. I don't think he knows squat about the American market, and if you're not targeting your bikes for the American market you might as well resign yourself to being a small regional brand like Stealth is/has become.

I don't just complain though, I offer answers. Stealth needs to shitcan that high priced dumbass, and hire me (work from Texas home only). My plan is to start offering street oriented models with lights, and fenders. I would keep at least one dirt oriented model, but main focus would be on the street. Only minor styling updates are needed. The only performance upgrade I would make would be to go to a more modern 80 amp controller, and 35ah battery's. I would open a real American distributor jointly owned by the Stealth factory, and American investors. In order to streamline production, I would suspend production of everything except Bombers. Once sales pick up, other models could come back online. Under my plan Stealth would own the American market in a few years. The hell with the rest of the world and their stinky little 250w bikes. Stealth always has focused of off road, and we see where that's got them. Nowhere. It's time for a change

TV - I agree with you 1000% as well as the others.. They are not buying them here in PA as well, however, I hear a LOT of reference about the Stealth, but a side from mine, I've never seen another one in person. When I do meet up with those that are knowledgeable about ebikes, they will ask me if that is a real Stealth Bomber, which I proudly say yes..!! 8)

Again, I agree... its about marketing, availability and affordability. To your point, the Sur Ron, Super 73 and Onyx blew up in a matter of 3 years or so. And why... YouTube marketing, (social media, etc..) they are affordable and available. Just in the aftermarket space alone, there are so many options and upgrades that are available and hardly any for the Stealth platform. Hell, I have to devote 20 hours of research just to find a replacement battery for my Bomber.

Dont get me wrong, I know its a matter of preference, but Stealth really needs to look at the analytics of what is selling in other spaces and why. No offense to anyone in my next few comments that may have these bikes, but... Between Stealth, Sur Ron, Onyx and Super 73, IMO, the Stealth is the ONLY one that resembles a Bike and actually functions as a pedal bike. The Sur ron looks like a mini-dirt bike and that's because it is. The Onyx looks like its from the 50's and someones first attempt at a race motorcycle. The Super looks like a mini-bike with a 5 HP engine that I grew up riding when was younger. While they are all great if that is what your preference is, by no means do I see any of them as "Bike" looking e-bikes, with the exception of the Stealth. Again, JMO...

Me personally, I'm VERY HAPPY with the Stealth Bomber... I picked it up used from a forum member so I wasn't hit with the initial high cost. I'm very happy with the base foundation (Appearance/Frame/Brakes/9speed). I just wish there were other "options" for upgrades, support, modifications, etc... Like I said, with the exception of this elite crew here at E-Sphere, I have yet to find it (them). I am going to make one attempt to upgrade my controller, replace the battery (if I can find someone) and possibly look at a QS205v3. To be candid, if I find it too challenging or limited to do, I just may sell the damn thing and move to something like a Sur ron, where I have more options and availability.

TV - Let me know when you want to do that start-up.. I have an Engineering background and I'm very creative with designs and fabrications. I'm looking for an exit strategy and passive income for when I retire...lol

I don't think a $10,000 price point is as big an obstacle as it might appear. In difficult times like we seem to be heading into, people look for quality. I've had the opportunity to compare my bike to three of the top contenders, Sur Ron, Onyx, and Super 73. They all have their strengths compared to stock Bombers. All of them are street oriented, and come stock with full lighting, and fenders, something Stealth's lack, but not my personal Bomber. The cost of most of the changes I've made to my bike were insignificant to the overal cost of the bike especially at the factory level with exception being my suspension, but stock Stealth suspension components are equal to, or better than the competitors. When you consider the whole package, a Bomber is the superior bike by far.

Super 73 is not really in the same class as a Bomber. It's main advantage is it costs a lot less, and is a really good looking bike. The disadvantage is it's barely fast enough to ride in traffic, and better stay out of heavy traffic. It's not a real contender to a Bomber, but a good alternative if that's all you could afford.

Sur Ron has a good price point, is fast enough, light weight, and seems good quality. Has a huge, and growing following, and great aftermarket. The disadvantages are noisy operation, stinky little pit bike like physical size, and they look flimsy. No pedals means it's going to be impossible to convince anyone it's an electric bicycle should the need arrive, and there's a good possibility you'll have to register it.

An Onyx is imo the top contender to a Bomber, until you scratch below the surface. It's fast, and won't break the bank, but not cheap either. After that it really doesn't have that much going for it. In comparison it weighs a lot, and is very top heavy, even with the smallest 24ah battery. It has a heavy old school steel frame with 1960s suspension design. Riding over rough pavement they rattle like a garbage truck. The pedals are basically ornamental, but serve some purpose. Their small physical size also makes them appear pit bike like.

In comparison Bomber's are fast. Have genius million dollar lightweight, but strong frames. Low curb weight with a good power to weight ratio, and excellent weight distribution. Modern suspension design, which can be dramatically improved with componentry upgrades. Unique looks, and effective pedaling ability. What they lack in lighting, and fenders can be easily rectified by the factory at little cost.

Another important improvement I would make that I didn't mention is, I would junk the dc1 and go back to the superior Cycle Analyst computer, but instead of the propriety one like on my bike, I would use the standard larger size display mounted up on the handle bars in the line of sight.

And of course I'm going to go with some type of more modern seat setup similar to what's on my bike. The factory could still offer a standard bicycle style seat as an option, but I doubt it will be very popular.

2021-may.jpg

Quick Question..

What is the expected lifecycle of an Original Stealth B-52 battery..? By that I mean, how are you gauging when to replace the battery. Are you looking at the amount of cycles on the battery, the age of the battery, the efficiency?. I assume its a combination of all of those, however, I thought I read that Stealth rates the battery for 700 cycles.

I'm pretty sure that its time for me to get a new battery. My bike is a 2016 model and it was used pretty much off road by the previous owner. I can't tell how many cycles my battery has at the moment because I'm still waiting on my DC1 to come in from Stealth.

I'm just curious how you make the determination on when to replace it..

Thanks guys..!!

I think it falls under usability. The battery is good as long as you can use if for what you need. If you want to take 30 mile trips but it only lasts 20…..time for a new one. If you want 6000 watts out of the motor and it falls on its face at 5000 watts……time to go shopping.

What is you battery not giving you is the question I need to ask you? My battery pumps out 17kw easily, lasts longer than I can and that is charging to only 4.1volts. My battery is good for me.

Tom

StudRock said:
Quick Question..

What is the expected lifecycle of an Original Stealth B-52 battery..? By that I mean, how are you gauging when to replace the battery. Are you looking at the amount of cycles on the battery, the age of the battery, the efficiency?. I assume its a combination of all of those, however, I thought I read that Stealth rates the battery for 700 cycles.

I'm pretty sure that its time for me to get a new battery. My bike is a 2016 model and it was used pretty much off road by the previous owner. I can't tell how many cycles my battery has at the moment because I'm still waiting on my DC1 to come in from Stealth.

I'm just curious how you make the determination on when to replace it..

Thanks guys..!!

I ran my stock battery for 5 years, but it was really saggy in the 5th year, and was only good for barely 14ah. I would of replaced it sooner if I could have found one. I would rate the stock battery as only average quality, but you also have to take into consideration it was made way back in 2013. I think any battery you buy now in 2021 will be better than my stock battery was.

It could just be my imagination, but since putting Ferrofluid in my motor it seems like it might be a little quieter. It never really made much sound anyway, but sometimes starting from a stop with a lot of throttle I could hear a slight stuttering sound at low speeds. Seems harder to notice now,

Also after a few hundred more miles there's still no noticeable leakage, and nothing to complain about.

51381482907_b86d73dd4e_c.jpg

Morning Dirt.....
I recently had a run in with a sur ron.... more to come on that as well.

Back