eLation 200watt kit (Australia)

swb said:
Stumper - note that the chain stay may need to be adjusted out of the way, if possible. I would have thought your BB would be wide enough.

Thanks for your comments swb. The chain stay cannot be adjusted out of the way because its part of the bike frame (the connecting tube from the bottom bracket shell to the rear wheel dropouts). It was the actual short motor chain on the small driven chain ring that was rubbing against the chain stay (ie up near the seat tube end) so all it can mean is the BB is too short. I had it swapped by my wife at the bike shop today. The next size up they had in stock was 127.5mm. It surely wont be too short - a tad long perhaps. Hopefully I might be able to have a fiddle with it some night this week and leave just my chain to finalise on the weekend (me doubts that though).

Read a good blog (though a few years old) on V is for voltage on one persons experience with installing an elation kit in the US. So he had real distance to contend with getting parts from Brisbane etc. It helped me relax about trying to rush to finish this job and be more patient.

http://visforvoltage.org/blog-entry/45-chapter-one-starting-down-ebike-trail-decision-and-kit-purchase

Here is the eLation v3 kit on my Giant OCR3 flat bar road bike.

IMG_1085.JPG

IMG_1086.JPG

IMG_1087.JPG

And here is the same kit transferred to my Specialized Rockhopper, which also needed a wider bottom bracket (118mm) I am having some difficulty getting the front derailleur right but I am no expert.

IMG_1089.JPG

IMG_1091.JPG

Initially I am quite happy but I have not done a lot of distance yet. First trip to work tomorrow morning, about 17km.

Nice looking rig, Swb.

Stumper,
I have a bike with 68mm bb SHELL and 122mm cartridge fits just right.

Don't know why bike shop is concerned about chain alignment, only 2mm more on drive side!

With multi speed derailleur bikes the chain is never in perfect alignment anyway.

SWB:
Thanks for posting those pics - they give me hope (seeing it fitted to a Giant)!!! I didn't realise the motor mount version in your photos was V3. I thought that was an earlier model. Mine has a full hoop for the motor to slide into.

I agree with lesspedal, your pics look great.

lesspedal:
I installed the 127.5mm BB I got from the bike shop as a replacement for the 118mm that was too short. The chain alignment was wildly out. I thought about it for a while, whether I'd just keep it or not - but then I saw that it was even too long for the sprocket on the motor to align with the free wheel sprocket (ie the short motor drive chain alignment). So I've taken it off and ordered a 122mm through the shop.

Slowly getting there - but it's been nearly 4 weeks since I first bought it on ebay. I hope the new BB is in the shop by this weekend.
Cheers

Okay I fitted a 122mm Bottom Bracket and got it all lined up (I'm yet to install the new front derailleur though). Everything else is in place; throttle, cables, motor, battery. The LEDs light up on the throttle etc. BUT no power to the motor, or at least, the motor wont go. The installation manual says check all the connections to make sure everything is mated properly. I haven't done that yet - it was so hard to get all the cables, connections and controller inside the little black box that I didn't feel like pulling it all apart again - and the dinner guests had nearly arrived.

So I guess I need to do that right? Pull apart the little black box and check connections? Anybody got any of of wisdom for me?

EDIT: Jun 26 2011
Dang nabbit, all the connections seems fine. The next step in the installation manual says contact eLation - but I got this off ebay and it didn't come with a warranty. It must be something electrical, I'm guessing from the motor to the controller. Yep I think the next step is to contact eLation.

Still any words of wisdom anybody? I have a friend who's an avionics technician who could have a look at the electrics. An electrical schematic of the controller might be helpful.

Hi Stumper,
As you bought the system off Fleabay I'm guessing it is second hand, so probably have no warranty.

Suggest you carefully inspect all connections, otherwise fault could be anywhere, controller/ throttle/motor.

Best to connect and then test, before "stuffing in black box". :)

Does anyone know what the weight of a complete v3 200w kit adds to the bike? with and and without the battery and rack ? its not listed on the elation website

On Elation website..

Complete System adds 8kg to bike,
Battery is 4kg.
I would guess my rack and controller about 500 grams.

It may still be under warranty. The V3 kits have not been out that long. eLation should be able to tell by the serial number.
It will be a pain to take it all off and then ship to eLation to test.

I would check with the eBay seller too - they might provide some insight. I still believe most people are honest.

Mine is working well, have been riding to work every day. Passing everyone on the bike track.
Still waiting for a bike computer to get some speed figures but I suspect 35kmh is about right. Certainly fast enough for any bike track around here.

Okay, the motor is going. I had an issue with the instructions.
I had a look at it again with a friend. He questioned the instructions regarding the wiring. "There are two 6 way connectors. One has 5 wires . . . The other has 6 wires . . . .The final cable to connect is to the battery. You will find three other leads. These are not used at this stage. They are for brake, pedal and speed sensors."

However, there are another 3 wires that do need connecting. The instructions do not refer to them. I thought these were the 3 wires the instructions said are not used at this stage.These are the heavier wires that supply voltage to the motor. Once we connected these the motor started going (TOPS!). The ones that are not used have connectors on them. When they were referred to as "leads" in the instructions I thought the ones without connectors on them were the so called "leads."

Okay, the system is all together and going BUT I have absolutely no torque at all. In first gear on the flat it does not even make an impact. Obviously something is wrong but what is it? Doesn't matter what speed I am going or what gear I'm in I can't feel any power coming from the motor. The motor certainly turns and I can also hear it whining. [I once rode a cheap K-mart IZIP and remember being quite impressed with the impact of the motor kicking in].

The current temperature is 3.7 degrees where I am, but the bike had been inside at 18 degrees for quite a few hours before I tried to ride it. I tested the battery a few days ago and at no load it was 55V. Regardless, I gave it another charge and the charge light went green after 7 minutes, so it shouldn't be a battery issue (right?).

Another thing I noticed is the variation in motor drive chain tension as the cranks rotate. At one point the chain is firm and at another it's over the 5mm tolerance. Can't see that totally changing the power dynamics though.

HELP.

Think I'll email Allan D.

Hi
i want to use the elation 200w for my 26 k commute but also for a 8 day ride (cycle queensland) towing my 6yo on a trailer. I will mainly use it for the hills and recharge each night and rely on pedal power for the maily flat ride.
Obviously trailer and kid will add ? 40 kg to be towed.
Will the electric assist still be useful on climbs or struggle under the extra weight. ?
Thanks in advance

Hi Grid,
Firstly your 26k commute, if that is the total return trip then should do it easy, if 26ks each way you may need to recharge at work, depending on the terrain and how hard and fast you work the motor.

The trailer.
Irrespective of weight, any motor assist will help. An assist putting out 200w is 200w less you have to put in.
A 200w hub motor may bog down to 20% efficiency when climbing hills. The Elation system being a chain drive allows the motor to stay at its max efficiency by the use of the gears and will climb any hill at a low speed. Just like a 600hp truck with 18sp transmission, it can climb anything but not at highway speed.

From my own experience, I weigh 85 kilos, I feel I could climb the same hills if I were 40 kilos heavier, but maybe a bit slower.

Hope all this helps. :)

Great advice thanks
Is the elation hard to self install? Quoted $200 to istall and I am tempted!
Not sure how I'll go on 100km days. I guess very judiscious use of the motor!
Thanks for your great advice.

Hi Grid.
Installation of the system is not difficult.
The bike itself is probably the most difficult but once you have done it, its not so tough.

Firstly, make sure the bike you get has a 68mm bottom bracket shell width, after removing the cranks measure the length of bb spindle, it needs to be at least 119mm but no more than 122.5mm. ( I think replacement cartridges go from 118 to 122.5 ) I have found 122.5 is just right.

You will need to purchase, crank removing tool, BB nut removing tool, each about $20, 15mm spanner for pedal removal or pedal spanner.
BB cartridges are under$20.

Two points to keep in mind, The right hand BB nut and the left hand pedal nut have LH threads (clockwise to loosen).

Some good bike info here, http://bicycletutor.com/cartridge-bottom-bracket/
Suggest you take your time and if possible practice pedal/crank/BB removal on an older bike. :)

I bought one of these and after just a few rides it stopped working. It is very flakey. I am having a great deal of trouble trying to get it fixed.
FIND SOMETHING MORE RELIABLE AND WITH BETTER AFTER SALES SERVICE.

Mine is still going strong so fingers crossed. It is a very good system for 200W.
I know what you mean about the after sales service, arrogance is my experience. I.e. "I am obviously doing it wrong" when I am doing my best to follow the poor instructions and the motor will not line up as expected, perhaps due to my particular bike.
Been battling a flu lately so have not been riding much. If you need any help fitting then let me know. Although perhaps I am too incompetent according to elation.

The website sales approach is dripping with arrogance, i don't know how anyone can stomach it enough to actually buy.
I was interested in it, but the opinionated talk back radio tone that says all else is crap and likely a conspiracy just makes me wonder why anyone puts up with it at all.
I'm not surprised people are finding the cold shoulder in after sales service when pre-sales is hardly warm and fuzzy.

That's sad, must be serious for a sudden pulling of the fuse like that. Best wishes for them, nobody deserves anything like that, no matter how grating their web copy =(

Keeping light hearted, the shutdown page is the best designed and written web page on the site to date though, hopefully it's a trend for a new to continue.

This thread here on ES would assist some negotiation, good for fresh eyes to improve the kits, documentation and customer service.

I wouldn't put my own money into it (edit: because I don't have any spare), but if someone has money to throw at it and wants to be a silent partner, pick me, pick me :)

I took a ride past the elation shop/factory yesterday.
Yep, it's closed, and in a hurry by the looks of it. There's a note on the door saying that these premises are no longer associated with elation bikes and please don't deliver any stuff here.

I met Allen once. I was riding around on my frock bike and he pulled me over to talk about e-bikes. He was very enthusiastic.
Seemed like a friendly and helpful bloke to me. Hope everything is ok for his family.

swb said:
Bugger. And my motor has just gone faulty, 4 months old.

Bugger but bound to be people unlucky like you for the year following this.
Curious what's the motor doing/not doing, confirmed it's just the motor? (Just wondering about things like batt BMS/water ingress)

Its make some horrible grining noises, as if something is out of balance causing bearing wear.
Since I dont expect a reply from elation, I am going to open up the custom casing and have a look.
It will be interesting to find out the exact motor model inside. Perhaps if its too far gone, I can source one elsewhere.
I have not ridden in the rain but there have been a couple of occasions with riding on wet roads. I am pretty careful to keep everything clean and lubricated.
Will post my findings....

Back