eLation 200watt kit (Australia)

Hi Dman
The cycle analyst gives you a lot of info, volts,amps drawn, ah[amp hrs] used, max volts, amps etc. It uses a shunt that you connect between battery and motor/controller with only a small gauge wire which goes to display on h'bars, if your not much at soldering you can use connectors such as anderson power poles. But require a special crimper to do the job properly. From what I have read on here ,Other types of meters such as 'watts up' use heavy wire to display and return to controller.

I have a CA fitted on my elation, its ok if you want to know all the above info but in my opinion the leds on the THROTTLE are all you need, the yellow led will illuminate at about 22.5 v, if you don't change down gears or pedal harder the red led will come on, followed by lvc [ low voltage cut off], so use the gears and pedalling to keep green led on as much as possible, naturely this will become more difficult as the battery reaches the end of its charge

You say instructions state use 20 to 30% throttle, I think it says 80% or 80% of max revs which is 2080 rpm [ max 2600] ebikes are at their most efficient at about 80% of max revs, too bad someone can't come up with a rev counter for ebikes.
BTW most ebike throttles are a little touchy, something like all at the end are all half way around.

One way is to raise rear wheel off ground run wot [wide open throttle] then back throttle off slightly to try to judge 80% revs, listen to motor sound then try to keep it the same when riding , using throttle , gears and pedalling, eg, I use middle crank and 5th gear with moderate pedalling to ascend 5% grade.

Imho, powering from a standing start is a waste of batt charge, pedal to about 10kph then slowly add power, remember these are a pedal assist not a motorbike.

Ninety percent of riding will be with front gears middle chain ring, the large one for high speed on flat or downhill, small one if you want to climb up the side of your house.
Always release throttle momentarily when gear changing, especially front derailler.
Cheers.

Thanks, that is excellent advice. Advice and more details like that should be on the Elation website. Also some videos showing optimum usage etc.

I tried to put your advice into practice on my commute to work, approx. 14km's each way (along the Eastern FWY bike path from Doncaster to Abbotsford, with lots of up and down hills), over that past 2 days. It does take a bit to get used to. Going by noise you can clearly distinguish when the motor is making more noise than movement, but it isn't so obvious where the optimal spot is.

Sometimes it seems like you need to do the opposite to get the optimum speed. I move up gears when going up some hills because it doesn't feel like maximum pull/power. I might think I need to be in a lower/higher gear but the motor says otherwise.

I was going easy on the throttle. Most of my ride I should be able to have light power and still have enough power for the big hills to get home. Need a bit more trial and error.

I got home with a green led still and still battery power, according to the time taken to recharge. I think I pedal too much and too fast. Hopefully I'll find the sweet spot soon.

DMAN.
I know the path where you ride, have done it many times from city to eltham, that was before the elec assist, lol.

I'm not electronics expert but I believe the motor has most torque at lower revs but at the expense of efficiency and overheating.
Best way is to keep motor spinning happily by good use of throttle/gears and pedalling, you will soon get the hang of it.

Alan dow from elation has made some good posts regarding riding and efficiency on this thread a few pages back.

Cheers. :)

I thought I'd post some pictures of my Elation install. I've included a few pictures that give more detail on how the battery mounts as I think this is quite clever and I've never seen any good pictures on the net.

The bike itself is toocheap! I'll get a better one next time. To be honest, I wasn't sure if I was really going to use the bike as much as I do so I didn't want to spend more money than I had to. Now I find I ride to work each day! There is a killer hill on the way home (and some nasty ones on the way to work) and I just wouldn't do it without the Elation.

I'm yet to get passed on the up hill bits - and there are some very fit (and now very surprised) cyclists on this route. I've seen a few petrol powered bikes around, but no e-bikes.

I've not added pictures before, so here goes:
IMGP1833.jpg
IMGP1836.jpg
IMGP1831.jpg
IMGP1835.jpg
IMGP1834.jpg

Happy cycling!

Nothing wrong with those pics, very good.
The only hills I can remember in Adelaide were towards the adelaide hills.

Any way these units make easy work of just about any hill.

Cheers and thanks for the pics.

Edit: I did notice the Prius in background.

lesspedal said:
Nothing wrong with those pics, very good.
The only hills I can remember in Adelaide were towards the adelaide hills.

I live down South in Hallett Cove and have the 'Southern Expressway' to climb. It's a nasty, nasty hill for a no-longer fit 40 year old.

The Elation makes it easier. I still pedal hard too (and wear Lycra)...just love passing people!

Prius - yes, 2 hybrids in one photo!

:)

LessPedal: I have been doing more testing and have tried to stay on middle chain ring with relaxed pedalling, but the resistance is too low on the flats or small down-hills. The motor is doing close to all the work. Also, I need to go to the 5-7th gear and get annoying rubbing noise.

I think because I'm riding a mtb (rather than a road/hybrid bike) that the middle chain ring isn't enough. I'll try the big chain ring in order to maintain my effort.

hozozco: Yours looks like it has an older crankset than my new kit. Also, your battery sits flush on its mount plug - mine isn't so straight but it isn't a problem.

hi i have had an elation kit for about a year its fitted to a kestral carbon fiber road bike with carbon tri spoke wheels
the elation kit is very well thought out and allan is a pleasure to deal with (my kit had a small issue when i brought it and allan whent way beyond what he had to do to fix it at no expence to me)

i have modifyed my kit in a few ways to increase its performance

it now runs a 500w motor and lipo batterys at 30v max output has been 51amps or about 1350w but it sits just below 900w when cruising at full throttle

2 zippy flightmax 5800mah 29.9 volt 8s long packs (11.6ah) easily fit into the original elation battery holder and give much better than i expected range and performance lipo batterys rock with the hi c rating they do not voltage sag at all they sit for the first 5km well above the 29.9v they are rated at they hold at 31v loading the motor up at low revs when freshly charged and weigh less the difference to performance is amazing when compared to the standard battery they also recharge at an amazing rate (charge time is about half the ride time eg ten min of ride usually takes 5min to fully recharge)

the bike weighs 15kg and easily goes 60kph and as an average of my last 5 trips to work used 11.6wh /km with light pedaling

Dman.
If yur running out of steam on middle chain ring you need to go to a higher gear [ large chainring], you must be strong rider.

However, on any multi geared triple chainring bike, when on small ring you should only use 1,2 and 3 on rear, on middle ring you can use all on rear.
On large ring, use only 3 highest on rear eg, 6,7 and 8. So a 24 spd bike should only use 14 gears.

The rubbing noise is most likely chain scraping front derailler, maybe trimming [ front cable adjust ] on front shifter tweak barrel adjust about quarter turn either way to move derailler off chain, or it may be caused by using lower rear gears when on large front ring.

All v2 elations have same size crankrings 48t, 38t, 28t.

http://bicycletutor.com/gear-shifting/

http://forums.bicycletutor.com/thread-1995.html

Hope this helps
Cheers.

I'm not a strong rider ... so the large chain ring was a bad idea. The throttle led goes orange too quickly. I got it back green after going back to the middle chain ring and trying to pedal more, but it then alternated between green and orange and seemed to stuggle for the rest of the ride, in the lowest middle chain ring gear. I still had some green if I didn't use high throttle. I didn't think the performance would degrade like that.

It makes sense to stay in the middle chain ring and use gears 1 - 7. Some of those websites don't say you can use all gears on the middle chain ring.

The tweak barrel adjust sounds like what I need. When I manually pull the gear cable I can adjust it further, so a few finer tweaks will do. The L & H screws don't help because they aren't touching the metal part of the derailler when on the middle chain ring.

The system eats the big hills so well it is great.

Thanks

Dman
The gear adjust problems are the same for any multi geared bike,regardless of motor assist.

The L and H screws are adjusted firstly and then usually left alone, they are simply there to limit chain throwing onto bb or off large ring.
Local bike shop will easily adjust gears at minimal cost if you have problems.

Yeah it takes a little practice to get the hang of using gears with motor.
What i aim for is selecting a gear where motor labours slightly and apply moderate pedalling to bring motor up to about 80% revs, the sweet spot, if I choose to pedal less I go down a gear, or a higher gear if i want to pedal a bit harder, of course all this keeps changing depending on varying terrain.

BTW, Elation V3 soon to be released :wink:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20638

After more than a year on eBike I can share few points in my real-world usage of the "system".

- The first time I use the eBike it seemed I use the motor very much. Lazy pedalling. Always around 80% throttle and for my 17k commute perhaps 90% the electric motor is used.

- Gradually I noticed I use the motor less and less, perhaps now 60% of the time which is great for the battery. Also the throttle usage is less like 60%-70%. I think I countribute this to simple fitness factor :shock: 8). I also notice it is the last few kph that is very hard and sucking/draining both battery and me. I had underestimated the aerodynamic factors anything above 30kph.

- Working in europe now which is *very* hilly, I notice I don't even bother to use the motor on the flats. On my daily commute one of the hill/climb gets me 52kph when going downhill with no pedalling. On this kind of hill I use middle front and middle rear gear. So the motor is using its torque quite heavily. Using lower gear, although very light, is not as pleasant.

I think I have worked out my gear rubbing - it is hard to pull the gear cable taught around the motor mount and screw the holding bolt without it losing taughtness. It seems ok now, with no rubbing

After lots of easy Km's, so far I have had to retighten the left crank bolt a fair few times due to it loosening mid ride - this could be normal.

I also had this creaking noise, which turned out that the bolt that holds the aluminium arm from the battery mount to the motor mount became loose. This is washerless and doesn't look too secure. Hopefully it holds up. If the battery moves up and down on its mount it sounds creaky and in turn can loosen/weaken the mounting.

The terrain that I travel on is very bumpy.

Know what you mean re battery arms loosening.

One way to secure is if you can get a piece of firm rubber that fits snug between black connector box below battery and seat tube and secure rubber to seat tube somehow, this will take weight of battery and stop bouncing around.

Thanks.

I'll try getting a piece of rubber. I might see what Alan has to say about it, or the new version probably fixes it :(

Did anyone see this kit on the ABC New Inventors last night?

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/newinventors/txt/s2982354.htm

Generally metal to metal contacts are not good when it comes to mounting.

I put a piece of old tube rubber between battery mount and frame (was just an instinct, and don't want to scratch the frame). Never had to fiddle with the mounting. I ride the bike pretty hard going bush, jumping down from footpath etc. Solid as rock.

Well the eLation finally met its match yesterday. I took it from Zermatt (1600m) towards Gornegrat (3000+m), halfway.

It was a gravel hiking road which is ridiculously steep. Even pushing the bike up the road and using the motor, the rear wheel slips ! Normally people would just take the train up (there is no road) and go downhill from there. The track is rated '5' which means extreme or something.

IMGP8817s.jpg

The above picture is of the more rideable section.

I saw for the 1st time a downhill bike being properly ridden by some swiss guy. He was in full gear (helmet, body armour etc.) and went really fast and got airborne on each bump. Halfway I decided that the attempt was too much so I turned back after only 6km. I attempted the same 'action' as the swiss guy and nearly fell unable to stop. The front shock took heavy pounding and bottomed out few times, but the kit shows no sign of falling apart which was great.

Unfortunatly this was also my last ride. I packed the bike for shipment home today. The odometer is showing 570km for the whole 3 months. I could have done more kms, but work got in the way :D.

Hey hows it going,
been lurking the forums for a while(finally registered) and this kit has got my attention as im looking to convert to electric. I'm in no real rush to get a converion kit but the sooner the better i figured. The kit looks promising but im wondering what it's like installing the kit? Whats the difficulty comparing to installing a front wheel hub kit? I havent installed a front wheel hub before but I saw my mate fix his up/fiddle (didnt seem too difficult but again i havent done it myself).
Does the installation require heavy knowledge of taking a bike apart? Or is it possible to install the kit with no prior knowledge of being able to assemble a bike?

Edit: Does anyone own a 300w elation? I'm hoping to get a 300w if i get the kit as i hope to also use it a lot on a farm (as well as commuting).

Cheers

The past week had been quite horrific in terms of Melbourne weather. Literally someone was jetskiing on the streets!

Our area was flooded but the house is safe. So we decided to check out the situation ... 8)

imgp0049.jpg

That is normally a dry and dusty trail.

imgp0067.jpg

This is at a place where we can't wash our cars nor water the garden due to shortage of water !!

Are people still following this thread?

I recently purchased the V3 kit and boy I'm having a struggle to get it on. Partly because I didn't fully research it (I saw the kit on ebay and had to make a decision quickly). And partly because I couldn't measure the bottom bracket spindle length until I got the cranks off. Turns out it's too short.

Today was my second attempt at installation. I live a bit rural and can only get to a bike shop on Saturday morn - but that's also the only time I've got to work on the bike. So I work on it, discover what I need, got to the bike shop, come back, discover I need more - and the bike shop is shut for another week . . . . Today I discovered I had to get a seat pole mounted front derailleur (I had a bottom bracket mounted one). Then I got home and discovered I also needed a chain breaker to change derailleurs! I also needed a longer BB. The one I bought was 118mm long. Yes the elation website says 119+mm but the shop didn't have it. I tried 118mm and the chain on the small chain ring (from motor) rubbed against the chain stay. The bike shop owner was concerned about going too large because it would effect the chain alignment (since my original one was only 111mm).

QUESTION: what size BB have other people used? Would 122mm be big enough or should I go to 124mm?

Cheers

Stumper

I have fitted the V3 recently, to a Giant OCR3 road bike (flat bar) but was unhappy with my brakes (lack of), no suspension and overall fragility perceived. These limitations were not unexpected but I wanted to see how it went on a faster bike. About 36kph on the straight.

So anyway I purchased a s/h Specialized Rockhopper MB and attempted the swap today but also found that I need a wider bottom bracket. I will give Alan a call tomorrow to source a wider one. I reckon a 117mm would suit but will go with the recommended 119mm. The current one is 110mm.

It sure is more involved than I expected. The accelerator is a real challenge to get fitted to the bar and requires compromise with the shifters, meaning they cannot be used as naturally. This was the same with 3 different shifter/brake combinations. The new battery display is only used partially (there are 3 lights which serve no purpose) and the magnetic crank sensor is not implemented, which I found out after a lot of screwing around getting it to rotate. It does not do anything.

I have not done enough distance to comment further on the performance. Hopefully I will have it working on the MB within a week. Its been a long time coming together.

I also noticed that eBay sale and was tempted to bid on it but the new kit was already on the way. It would have been a real bargain.

Stumper - note that the chain stay may need to be adjusted out of the way, if possible. I would have thought your BB would be wide enough.

I had to do some fairly creative stuff to get mine fitted, especially the pannier, but this is not unexpected on a road bike.

Back