• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Enertionboards.com | Eboard Hand Controller Design Challange

Looks great. Where did you get it? Looks like the small RC controllers from small RC car models.

I've thought about trying one of those but but haven't. I know some have their own built in PCB for the transceiver.

Does the one that you posted have a separate RC receiver end?

r3volved said:
https://www.thalmic.com/en/myo/
These guys are a local start up and doing a workshop at work next week. I'm going to check it out...ev in mind ;)

Iv got an alpha MYO I submitted my idea to use one for an electric longboard so they sent me one for free! The only way to do it is to get a wifi RC reciver like they sell on HK and program the iPhone and android app to use the MYO sensors as the slider!

Was playing around with it but need a more expireanced app developer!

Jason know ur in Adelaide u can mess with my MYO if u want!

Controller Suggestions:

The index finger is the most natural for control. On a device capable of serious speeds and injuries, intuitive control is the best.

A long index finger throttle travel (almost 1 inch) gives a high degree of position precision. It also minimizes touchiness as (member furp) pointed out, It might need to have a loop and it could have a center neutral position, and push forward for braking, although I don’t think the brake section needs to be as long as the acceleration section.

To reduce complex electronics, it could have a mechanical thumb wheel on the palm side that would screw in to function as a throttle stop. This would function like an adjustable speed limiter for the young-uns and cruise control for long commutes.

The picture of the Parma Slot Car Controller below is intended to show the hand and finger position. It fits all sizes of hands great and is very comfortable for hours on end. The head does not need to be that large, and it should not look like a gun.

-It could have recessed potentiometers that pop out for adjustments and pop back in flush to the body when not in use.
-Adjustment for acceleration rate and brake rate.
-Power on light, auto off as suggested by (member benj)
-It should work with regular rc type receivers.
-Small and pocket size as possible - oh and look cool.
-Rugged
-I think the Alien one looks great but I don’t think it has much throttle travel. I saw a video of someone using it and... I wasn't impressed.

Thank you for asking for input!
Cheers!

Hi,
Here is my attempt to make the HK GT2B more compact :
z7nHANIl.jpg

w2KqoxVl.jpg

It's the first design and it's very thick, I can't manage throttle with my index finger, I must use my middle finger :(.

Second design is half as thick because I deported the battery in the base, like the original GT2B. Look is less pretty but the feeling in hand is way better (and I can manage throttle with my index finger :))
I don't have pictures of it by now but I can make one if someone is interested.

I've thought a lot about this while skating around on my enertion rig with that oversized monstrosity of a programmable RC monster truck remote. Here are my notes:

It needs to be small.

It needs to be a trigger. Please don't make it a fader or a stick.

The battery could be a little smaller in size, allowing the remote to be smaller. It only needs to last a day or two of solid usage, not months on end. USB rechargeable LiPo is awesome, just make it a little smaller. I ride all the time and i can't remember the last time I had to plug my remote in because i used it up. I have, however, drained it from leaving it on for multiple days in a row. If I have to charge it nightly, fine. I have to charge my board after 50 minutes of riding, so why not plug the remote in while I'm at it?

The only things on there other than the trigger should be the pairing button, power switch, and an LED. All of these trim controls and polarity flip switches need to go. I should never need to tell my trigger which way is the brake. Also, who needs a wheel and C switch? Sure I could rig up an arduino to flip on my taped on headlight but now i've got another box under my deck. Hell I could tell it to change the hue of my RGB underlighting every time i turn the wheel, but I'm more concerned about skating than looking like i just escaped from the set of the next Tron movie.

For the love of god, please do not make the throttle and brakes require the use of separate fingers. One finger should do both. It should be impossible physically to do both at the same time. This is a safety issue.

It needs to be tough. I've already fallen and broken the remote I have (along with an arm), so the smaller version needs to be super tough so it can take a spill. rounded corners and thicker, tougher plastic.

If you want something with cruise control, make it an upgrade. I don't want that. I just want a trigger, and a very simple one at that.

kevinlee said:
Here's my answer to replacing Enertion's terrible remote.
It supports both forwards and backwards & breaking. The response is good.
I've modded it by removing the wheel and added an extra spring to the acceleration to make the finger press firmer.

View attachment 1

THIS is EXACTLY what we need here. How can I get one of these?

jacobbloy said:
r3volved said:
https://www.thalmic.com/en/myo/
These guys are a local start up and doing a workshop at work next week. I'm going to check it out...ev in mind ;)

Iv got an alpha MYO I submitted my idea to use one for an electric longboard so they sent me one for free! The only way to do it is to get a wifi RC reciver like they sell on HK and program the iPhone and android app to use the MYO sensors as the slider!

Was playing around with it but need a more expireanced app developer!

Jason know ur in Adelaide u can mess with my MYO if u want!

Check this out:

[youtube]MN8ZUrP29QU[/youtube]

that's the most stupid idea i have ever seen!!! what do you naturally do in the even of a sketchy moment....??? Put you arms out to balance... ohhh..i'm suddenly accelerating more....
I once tried using a Iphone via a wifi receiver - basically did the same thing...absolutely terrifying....

beetbocks said:
that's the most stupid idea i have ever seen!!! what do you naturally do in the even of a sketchy moment....??? Put you arms out to balance... ohhh..i'm suddenly accelerating more....
I once tried using a Iphone via a wifi receiver - basically did the same thing...absolutely terrifying....

I agree that, that was the main issue we had with the MYO armband. Nevertheless Besides for that issue is there another reason why we wouldn't want to use it?

I'm not making light of the fact that what beetbocks said is a huge issue but I think we can solve that with a few lines of code! You can program whatever motion you want as the accelerator. There motion they choose is a stupid one but
If we could program it that you can only acc. After you touch your thumb to your ring finger twice (almost likes password), then it could work. To brake I guess would be the same. We defenitly would have to test the response time of the armband but this could potentially work.

All these ideas are great in concept...but i know from experience..these boards have a hell of a lot of power..and under control you don't think twice about it.. but when something goes wrong they can seriously hurt you and anyone near you..
So the the control part of the system has to be as simple as possible to use and maintain...
The simple index finger trigger is is the most basic method of controlling speed/brake/power and uses tried and tested methods of communication...and works for millions of RC models around the world ,its easy to use,cheap to make ...
I am all for innovation and thinking outside the box but some things can just not be improved any further... ( maybe made smaller ,lighter etc)
Keep.It.Simple.Stupid...

Well I think the myopia impressive and towards to right direction of innovation....but for this application -at least at its current state- would be highly dangerous.
Made in the alps has a great idea on the calf as oppose to the arm...the only problem is finding a muscle group that ISN NOT typically used while skating.

I once hijacked the quanum pot with a flex sensor on a glove and duct taped it to my wrist.. and it was horrible..
every time I forgot about my finger i either slammed on the brakes or accelerated.. I either looked like an idiot or fell off...

fortunately did not think of waving.. or giving someone the finger or i would have been seriously hurt...

Im sure there is a learning curve to this and at some point it becomes natural.....but it could hurt quite a bit while one got it right...
The same sort of goes for weight sensing boards, would suck to hit a pothole and unbalance yourself and then have the board interpret that as please accelerate.. and land on your face...

also it is difficult to turn "off" all the automatic things you have done all your life with that extremity...

I love my wiiceiver... it is the evolution of the huge RC followed by smaller Rc quanum - followed by initial software wiiciever with iffy connection followed by cruise control excellent connection wiiceiver.

that is right beetbocks, I'm completely agree with you, controller has to be as simple as possible and reliable as possible, everything else is just a compromise with safety.

re: Myo Armband
I just met with these guys here doing a demo for our company.

Interesting little unit, very lightweight but I can't see it being very comfortable for extended periods of time.
After trying it out, I can see that there are a lot of specific motions that could be used for eskates that would not negatively impact generic motion, for example, touching thumb to pinky finger. They show a lot of heavy action in their videos but it can sense very subtle, detailed motion.

The current band will only work on the forearm (maybe they've only mapped the forearm muscles?), it will not work located on bicep, calf or thigh.

Edit: Dev kit is included in their CDN$199 purchase price and they support scripting in C++, Java and Python.

Silenthunter said:
What brand name and model is that remote?

It's a HBX mighty mini roller 2.4g Google it! Or just google 1/32 or 1/36 car 2.4 and other brands pop up!

imo evolve nailed controllerdesign with their gen2 controller:

stacks_image_3586.jpg

RC car index finger control for acc/brake
smooth plastic case, extremely small
battery indicator (could be better implemented though)
usb charging

whitepony said:
imo evolve nailed controllerdesign with their gen2 controller:

stacks_image_3586.jpg

RC car index finger control for acc/brake
smooth plastic case, extremely small
battery indicator (could be better implemented though)
usb charging

This is absolutely gorgeous. Something like this would be perfect, not to mention it could easily be fabbed from carbon fibre glassing and existing GT2B parts.

Badwolf also has a pretty sick solution on thingiverse that might inspire:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:768101

Back