EP6010EL charger (10A)

This is just a question about this charger (ordered at www.ecity.com ) for my project ( www.motoelectrique.unblog.fr )

I tried it and it doesn't work: no voltage at the battery connector. My first low amp charger works fine but this one has red and green LED on only.
I haven't tried it before and was wondering about the connector: I modified it so I have 50V-50V-gnd (not 50V-gnd-gnd). I will open the box but, before, I would like to know if the original connector was really gnd-gnd-50V or if the gnd-gnd interpretation was not good (perhaps one is a current mesure ?)

Thanks for help.

OK

The problem is only because charger doesn't see any charge at output connector.
It's logic because my bike controller look at charger connector to see if the is voltage too :roll: , this for cutting current at the wanted value.
So I need charger wait for more time before standby mode.

One time, I saw informations on the web about this charger .Is someone able to tell me where it was ? thanks

You mean because there is no load or pack to be charged at the output terminals so the unit prevents power from outputting until a load is connected, right?

-Mike

Yep - this is sometimes used as a safety feature. Battery must be connected, and must be within the expected specs for it to charge (ie. if you tried to use it for something dumb like charging a single 12V SLA it wont work).

the one i saw was on a headway charger as i recall. they put a p channel FET in the output and then tied the gate of the FET to the output on the other side of the FET from the charger output so when the battery was attached, it would turn on the p channel FET.

mwkeefer » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:03 pm
You mean because there is no load or pack to be charged at the output terminals so the unit prevents power from outputting until a load is connected, right?

Yes.
Perhaps I would like to give more explanations:
In my system, I use a PIC 18F4550 controller who take informations from cycle analyst. If voltage exceed a precise value it disconnect a relay so charge can't continue. But, to do so, that's mean my system need about 10 seconds with a charger voltage.
So I have two solutions:
1) I modify the charger so it wait fot a longer time before "unpluging" charge voltage
2) I modify my system so it doesn't control charge cutting

i have a problem with this chargers aswell, here is my story, maybe someone can help me out:

i have a custom made Kingpan/ eCity/ BMSbattery charger.

i want to charger a 72V 13Ah LiMn battery with it...the charger ist set up at the factory to CC - CV

i cut of the plug of the original wires, that run from charger to battery, and put some anderson to it.
brown wire in PLUS and blue is MINUS...the third wire is yellow/green...what is it good for, ground right? do i need to connect it somewhere?

i plug the charger in and Led1 is red...it means: power on
than i connect the battery to the charger and turn the charger on ==> Led2 turns green...it means: the battery is charged

the charger is not charging...it shows, that the battery is charged...but its not...the battery is empty...67Volts
the charger should charge it up to 82V

what is the problem?

more informations:

I plug in the charger and Led1 turn red ==> power on.

Than i connect the battery. I connected first the minus, than i tryed to connect the plus, but the was a big spark. The fuse of the charger blew of. Looks like it was wrong connected/polarity or a short circuit?

I took my voltmeter and checked the charger DC output. I connected the voltmeter to the charger(brown wire to plus and blue to minus) and the voltmeter shows -82V...why is it MINUS?? It should be PLUS, right? I checked the voltmeter again...everything was connected right.

So, my questions are:

1. Why do i get -82V at DC out? Shouldnt it be PLUS 82V?

2. In front cover of the charger is a ON-switch. Should this switch be turned on, before i connect the battery? Or do i first connect the battery and than turn on the switch?

RoughRider

"brown wire in PLUS and blue is MINUS...the third wire is yellow/green...what is it good for, ground right? do i need to connect it somewhere?"

If the charger is the same, yellow/green is the same as ground so you don't need to connect it.

The charger verify output voltage: if the is no battery or (if battery can't be charged), voltage is immediatly at max value so charger decided to stop charge.

You can do one thing: with your voltmeter (ohmeter) verify yellow/green really connected together to brown . This is ground , the blue must be plus

I don't actually test charge with my charger but I think you have to connect battery first and then you can put the charger on. If you don't do this, the charger will probably stay at "charged state" (when it stop charge, it stay like that)

this is the lable on the charger

Charger_1.JPG

as you can see, brown is labeled PLUS and blue is labeled MINUS

is it wrong?

It's look like exactly the same charger as mine (exept printed reference of course)

I re-open the box:
blue wire is printed +
green and brown wires are printed - and I tested continuity who show there are really connected to ground (to 78xx regulator ground ...)

So it seem printed polarity on box is false

i will opne up my charger and take a look inside...

on the one hand i like the stuf from china, but on the other hand they make such stupid mistakes...like wrong labeles

One thing more: brown and green have usually minus polarity, blue, positive one.
I forgot to mention I have the same mistake printed on box ( "brown wire: DC (+), blue wire DC (-) " )

i think you are right...

i opened the housing and the brown and the green/yellow are connected inside the charger...so brown must be minus...

the fuse is in the blue-wire-line...so blue must be plus...

the voltmeter is always right... :lol:

Back