gas price thread

speedmd said:
Another 10K price range EV econobox. The Dayun es3 ev.
Dayun-EV-pictures.jpg
That set of data points would be well worth starting up a dedicated new thread

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

nicobie said:
The goatman is funny. He has no use at all for the U.S.. He hoped trump would have won the election so the U.S. would go down the tubes even quicker than it's currently going.

He is basically a troll looking for attention. However, I must add that he's done some good work on battery capacity.

Prolly best to not read to much here. Useful fellas flashing their junk. It’s hard to unsee…

Hillhater said:
nicobie said:
He hoped trump would have won the election so the U.S. would go down the tubes even quicker than it's currently going.
Ha. ! Irrational crystal ball gazing, compared to the reality we are all suffering with Biden.

Non partisan think tanks have studied global price increases. We’re on the low end. See, for example, the latest PEW report. Funny how the US has devolved into meme readers rather than reading detailed reports…

You are being told the US is going down. Truth we are trying to go back in time to the good old day's. Not so good for most.
The USA is doing good we are past the traveling season so gas prices are going down. Under $4 US in San Antonio TX now. If you look back thru history Gas prices always rise just before and drop after so what is the big deal. Hope it does not drop to far, like the roads drivable.

I like Goatman (may have to do with his choice of rides), we don't see eye to eye on somethings but everyone's option is welcome. A little drama is good yes/no?

Have a look at the world fair 1893 Chicago and tell me americas golden days ain't over ? I don't see any golden gate bridge development just las vega tunnels that only exist in a corrupt state that siphoning cash.

Where does all the latest tech come from that's were the innovation is happening, taiwan for semi conductors etc china aint there on this one as its not progressive enough to allow people freedom and intellectual freeroam of the market to develop unique company's, everything is copycat from cars to phones even the cash itself and the whole army but they are getting good at it cant beat them join them so they say and they even took what they wanted from that.

Thats why china wants taiwan now not for anything but to complete its manufacturing no matter what the past wars have said it suits him now and the chip shortage highlights the desperate need they have.

Yes, see where you are coming from, that is a sad state of affairs'. Sorta like the 8 Billion dollars Texas spend on border security this year. But would like to talk about the space station, rovers on mars and you can buy a trip out to outer space. Not to forget better home design, Led lights, mini split systems, renewable energy, EV's and the best of all E-bikes.

by Ianhill » Jul 18 2022 9:17am

Have a look at the world fair 1893 Chicago and tell me americas golden days ain't over ? I don't see any golden gate bridge development just las vega tunnels that only exist in a corrupt state that siphoning cash.

Where does all the latest tech come from that's were the innovation is happening, taiwan for semi conductors etc china aint there on this one as its not progressive enough to allow people freedom and intellectual freeroam of the market to develop unique company's, everything is copycat from cars to phones even the cash itself and the whole army but they are getting good at it cant beat them join them so they say and they even took what they wanted from that.

Thats why china wants taiwan now not for anything but to complete its manufacturing no matter what the past wars have said it suits him now and the chip shortage highlights the desperate need they have.

Midwest has finally broken to $3.99 for normal. I got premium at $4.35.

Ianhill said:

Because technical progress is evolutionary, not revolutionary. You forget that semiconductors were hypothesized as early as the 1910s and early computers ran entirely on vacuum tubes; we also have the fact that, so much has been discovered but tons we don't yet have use for. Case in point- look up the newest breakthrough for fusion reactors. IBM had made a magnetic tape for data storage that didn't work like they needed so they patented and shelved it, only for researchers to dig it up and find it can make the strongest magnetic fields we've ever seen. The patent for the Sync-IPM motors in the Model 3 were basically in a drawer at Bosch and that motor uses 10% the rare-earths and has WAY better cooling than a typical Inductance AC motor. Sometimes the reason why no "new" technologies are being invented, is because we've invested it all already.

China wants Taiwan for it's "One China Policy" first (that also includes part of Mongolia too) and it's semiconductor production a close second. But now, with where it's liberalizing government is going and the deep ties they have to the USA, China will never get Taiwan back without a massive Ukraine-style invasion that'll long-term, destroy both countries. China likely knows this, but with Xi trying to take them down a fascist path (and with old Dao seemingly trying to pull the party back) who can truly say?

ZeroEm said:
I like Goatman (may have to do with his choice of rides), we don't see eye to eye on somethings but everyone's option is welcome. A little drama is good yes/no?
Agreed! Not talking politics is one of the many reasons we got Trump in the first place; I'm honestly more against accellerationists because they keep seeming to pretend, that they are the main character in their own videogame which is... not true lmao. I've no-joke talked with a lot of dudes who seemed to think everyone else would die but them, it's feels like a "personal fable" that all children have.

Hillhater said:
Ha. ! Irrational crystal ball gazing, compared to the reality we are all suffering with Biden.
Let's see - gas prices coming down, Putin slowly losing the war, lowest unemployment since Trump left office, housing prices finally starting to drop - I see plenty of good. I know you can't; that's fine.

Ianhill said:
I don't see any golden gate bridge development just las vega tunnels that only exist in a corrupt state that siphoning cash.
I see a space industry that now has reusable boosters that have made it far cheaper to access space. I see the same company working - on its own dime - to develop the largest, cleanest, cheapest per pound launch system in the world, one that will be completely reusable and enable routine lunar flights. I see an EV and solar market that's exploding. I see a medical community that has vaccines and effective treatments for cancer - and that can generate vaccines in weeks instead of years.
Where does all the latest tech come from
In terms of research? Cal Tech, MIT, Johns Hopkins, and other similar places.

In terms of practical application? Tesla, Outback, Midnite, Sol-Ark, UQM, Qualcomm, places like that.
its not progressive enough to allow people freedom and intellectual freeroam of the market to develop unique company's, everything is copycat from cars to phones even the cash itself
I think Irwin Jacobs, Andrew Viterbi, Steve Jobs, Burt Rutan and Elon Musk would disagree.

JackFlorey said:
I see a space industry that now has reusable boosters that have made it far cheaper to access space. I see the same company working - on its own dime - to develop the largest, cleanest, cheapest per pound launch system in the world, one that will be completely reusable and enable routine lunar flights.

You also see all that stuff underwritten by speculative investment rather than profitable revenue. When the music stops....?

ZeroEm said:
If you look back thru history Gas prices always rise just before and drop after so what is the big deal. Hope it does not drop to far, like the roads drivable.
That's interesting to me. You have perceived less traffic in your area, correlated to the recent spike in gas prices?
Not so for me, in fact traffic is up up up, the whole way thru this gas price spike. It seemed like it lessened slightly only at the beginning.

The main difference I see that somewhat has correlated to the price spike has been way more reckless driving patterns. Blowing thru red lights, excessive speeding, unsafe passing, increased hit-and-runs, road rage incidents, midnight road racing, burnouts, and most troubling to me, purposeful targeting of cyclists and pedestrians.

Chalo said:
You also see all that stuff underwritten by speculative investment rather than profitable revenue. When the music stops....?
That's how all new technology is developed. You can't sell technology you haven't developed yet.

JackFlorey said:
Chalo said:
That's how all new technology is developed. You can't sell technology you haven't developed yet.

Nobody has made a credible case for how manned space flight will pay for itself. I don't know if you are aware, but I worked for one of these maverick private space programs for its first five years. I got into it for the pure advancement of human endeavor. But after a time of trying to break the cost barrier and democratize space, we gave up and started making rockets.

None of the cost saving that SpaceX has done makes space launch accessible to normal people or normal businesses, you know the kind that have to pay their own way with earnings. And none of the materials or propellants being used are going to get cheaper over time.

Chalo said:
Nobody has made a credible case for how manned space flight will pay for itself.
Nor is anyone trying. The reason investors are investing in SpaceX is to make money by seeing them offer a much lower cost launch option to customers. And there is a large and well-researched market for launch services.

Musk can tweet whatever he wants, of course. But no serious investor is investing in manned space flight or a Mars base or anything.
None of the cost saving that SpaceX has done makes space launch accessible to normal people or normal businesses, you know the kind that have to pay their own way with earnings.
I can think of three separate space-based communications systems that are paying their own way.
And none of the materials or propellants being used are going to get cheaper over time.
Methane is a lot cheaper than RP-4. (And cleaner to boot.)

JackFlorey said:
Hillhater said:
Let's see - gas prices coming down, Putin slowly losing the war, lowest unemployment since Trump left office, housing prices finally starting to drop - I see plenty of good. I know you can't; that's fine.
Oh dear ! Are you having trouble thinking rationally today ?
Gas prices are only falling because Bidens deliberate actions caused them to rise !
Gas prices NEVER exceeded $3.0 gal during the Trump years !
There was NO war with Putin until Biden gained office…. I bet you dont believe the Biden family links with Ukraine .?
Housing prices are falling as a result of lending rates increasing (mortgage rate) , making property LESS AFFORDABLE to the average buyer. Owners have to reduce prices to sell.
Strange how you see “good” in all that !🤔

JackFlorey said:
goatman said:
i blame the USA for murdering all the innocent Ukrainians and Russians . . ..
Do you blame the USA for murdering all the innocent Japanese and Germans during World War II, as well? Because unlike the Ukraine conflict, we literally dropped the bombs that did that.

no, i have absolutely no issue with governments that go after Nazis. Hunting Nazis is a good thing as far as im concerned.

* thanks Nicobi, i cant stop :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWgTqLCLE8k

JackFlorey said:
Chalo said:
And none of the materials or propellants being used are going to get cheaper over time.
Methane is a lot cheaper than RP-4. (And cleaner to boot.)

Natural gas is cheaper than kerosene, sure.

But in real terms, liquid methane is a lot more expensive than liquid RP-1. And methane can't be described as "cleaner" when it's an intensely potent greenhouse gas that routinely escapes to the atmosphere in large quantities.

There's no economically or ecologically sustainable space travel for us. I gave it a long, hard look before acknowledging that. Near-limitless, nearly free, actually clean energy would probably change the outcome of the equation, but I still doubt it would be worth the opportunity costs alone in the foreseeable future.

CONSIDERABLE SHOUTING said:
We're not going to space yet for sustainability. That's not the point.

Right. As long as we understand that traveling to space in a rocket is just as practical as going to work in a rocket, then we're all on the same page. Hopefully we all also understand that a somewhat cheaper method for going to work in a rocket doesn't constitute the difference between practical and impractical.

Until we demonstrate as a species that we're grown up enough to take care of the toys we have, I don't think it's a good idea for us to play with that one.

Chalo said:
But in real terms, liquid methane is a lot more expensive than liquid RP-1. And methane can't be described as "cleaner" when it's an intensely potent greenhouse gas . . .
It can be when it's made from atmospheric CO2.

https://balkangreenenergynews.com/elon-musks-spacex-seeks-rocket-fuel-made-from-atmospheric-co2/

There's no economically or ecologically sustainable space travel for us.
Ecologically? Agreed. It won't be clean until most space operations (including fueling) happen someplace other than Earth.

Economically? It already is. As I mentioned, there are several space-based communications systems operating right now at a profit.

goatman said:
no, i have absolutely no issue with governments that go after Nazis. Hunting Nazis is a good thing as far as im concerned.
So:

Supporting democracy - evil
Killing innocent civilians by bombing them - no issue

Now that we've cleared that up you can return to your regularly scheduled Russian newsfeed.

JackFlorey said:
Chalo said:
There's no economically or ecologically sustainable space travel for us.
Economically? It already is. As I mentioned, there are several space-based communications systems operating right now at a profit.

I don't see anyone traveling to communications satellites.

I think sending up satellites and probes makes sense for some comms, mapping, and scientific applications. But none of those things requires manned missions, hence my use of the word "travel".

Back