Halloween race in Tucscon !

I'm still waiting to hear back from various friends about a portable generator. So far the only offer has been of an unspecified-output-level inverter to run off a running car, but I suspect the inverter isn't nearly big enough to handle charging ebike batteries. Not more than one at a time, and probably a small one at that.

I also have had a bit of inspiration regarding setting up power and/or a drivetrain for a bike, whcih I am going to look into this weekend. Had planned to start this afternoon, as I was to get off work at 130pm, but ended up being there till after 4pm. Need the money so can't complain, but it does cut into the project time. :) (and leave me pretty tired)

I have inverters. I just don't think my friend with the truck will want to let her run while we charge our batteries. I have an 800 watt and a 2000 watt. But what we need is a gen. I just haven't had the chance to ask many friends yet.

Use RC chargers. No need for inverters, they are all made to run off a car battery.

Except if we don't have RC chargers, they're hard to use. :) Also, my packs are currently 36V, 48V, and 72V NiMH; would the RC chargers others might have for LiPo automatically know what to do with those?

I can see them maybe working for my TS60Ah cells, but I don't know if I will have that ready for the event, plus it's almost 45lbs and only 32V. :)

I have a ton of out of work friends in the construction industry that should have a generator laying around. Well maybe, hopefully, they didn't have to sell them. :(

Hey guys I have a 900w and a 3500w generator, I'll make a note to bring them just encase you need them.

I never looked for a outlet at the track so I have no ideal where they are but I would assume they are close to the main entrance. I think the longest cord I got is about 100' which would not even come close to reach the pits. But I could barrow some if need be and hopefully have enough.

If charging is a problem let me know and I can see about contacting Charlie at the track and working something out.

FR31, are those generators or inverters? Yes, we sure would appreciate the help you mentioned, thanks alot. Most of us don't know the track, so need alot of warm up and of course recharging.

amberwolf said:
Except if we don't have RC chargers, they're hard to use. :) Also, my packs are currently 36V, 48V, and 72V NiMH; would the RC chargers others might have for LiPo automatically know what to do with those?

I can see them maybe working for my TS60Ah cells, but I don't know if I will have that ready for the event, plus it's almost 45lbs and only 32V. :)

I will send you the best battery charger ever to grace planet earth if you send it back when you're done. And you gotta let Dogman or anyone else doing electric rigs freely use it if needed. :) At >28vdc input power, it does charge up to 42v (10S LiPo) at 30amps, 1260w charge rate!
It has settings for NiMh and NiCd and even lead.

That 60Ah group of TS cells would the perfect power source for this charger.

http://www.progressiverc.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=76&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Nice charger! I looked at em, and decided I needed something slower that my lead deep cycle battery could handle. So I just got a pair of 7 amp chargers.
I don't have a meanwell that could handle that charger, or that much lead. Eventually, that would be the thing to have on race day, but if you do have money, just stacking up more batteries makes sense to me. I built my bike to quick change em.

On race day, I should have 16 5 ah 5s packs and 2 4s packs on hand. I'll only need to put about 5 ah into one 20s pack after the practice laps, and that should take about an hour or less. So I'm good to go. Too much battery capacity, and I'll run so many practice laps I get tired in the main. You pull some g's in the corners for sure and I'm old. So I plan on about 5 laps practice, then the races.

Sounds like one way or the other, we'll have some kind of power at the pits. Enough to run some smaller AC powered chargers. I'll have 5 amp 36 and 5 amp 48v chargers there, if those would be the right voltage for you guys. We can hillbilly engineer the plug if we need to. Two weeks to go, and I'm ready. Or will be after the mailman comes with the last set of lipo.

dogman said:
I'll only need to put about 5 ah into one 20s pack after the practice laps, and that should take about an hour or less.

Have a charging tap at each 10s section, and this charger will dump your 5Ah in each side in roughly 10mins, so 20mins for dumping 5Ah into the whole 20s pack.

Amber's 60Ah TS 32v pack is absolutely fantastic for running this charger. The generator or whatever could be running a little charger (like a meanwell) into the 60Ah pack as needed to keep the SOC up on it, then anyone could slam a charge in with the 3010b as they need to between heats.

liveforphysics said:
I will send you the best battery charger ever to grace planet earth if you send it back when you're done. And you gotta let Dogman or anyone else doing electric rigs freely use it if needed. :) At >28vdc input power, it does charge up to 42v (10S LiPo) at 30amps, 1260w charge rate!
It sounds awesome, and everyone could use it, but I don't think I'd want to be responsible for it if it got blown up or something, though. I'm not the luckiest person on the planet with stuff, even if I don't open things up to fiddle around with them or see how they work (or are made). :lol:

liveforphysics said:
Amber's 60Ah TS 32v pack is absolutely fantastic for running this charger. The generator or whatever could be running a little charger (like a meanwell) into the 60Ah pack as needed to keep the SOC up on it, then anyone could slam a charge in with the 3010b as they need to between heats.
Well, hopefully they'd be in use on a bike, but even if not, I dont' yet have my BMS/LVC built up for them, and I have no idea of their current SOC, except that they are still 3.3V/cell, within a few hundredths of each other.

Also, the only charger I have for them is the Sorenson 55V 55A lab supply, which only runs on 220V single or three-phase. :( And weighs significantly more than the pack, being a deep 2U rack. ;)

I do have 3x 31Ah SLA, and a few 17Ah and 20Ah SLA, and a couple of 24V 3A powerchair chargers for those (stuff I've used on CrazyBike2 before), so if we don't break vehicle springs taking it down there then they could be used to run the 3010b safely enough. :)

Does anybody really need it? I should be ok with what I have. 45 min to recharge will be plenty fast for my plans. Anybody else coming with lipo?

I'm not knocking the charger, wish I had one at home, and likely will at some point. I just put my kit together with charging off a single deep cycle battery in mind so I could charge at any location, including deep in the woods without listening to a generator run. So what I bought is about the most I'd want to try to run off that one battery.

Getting my bike back out on the track fast would be nice, but I have enough battery to wear me out, and I do want to cool the motor before each race. fast charging the loaner bike would be cool, but I have enough battery to put 60 miles on that bike.

Evoforce said:
FR31, are those generators or inverters? Yes, we sure would appreciate the help you mentioned, thanks alot. Most of us don't know the track, so need alot of warm up and of course recharging.

Yes generators only......

I don't claim to be an expert or anything but I do have more track time then anybody. If there is any questions you guys have I am more then happy to answer and help out the best I can.

Fr31 said:
Evoforce said:
I don't claim to be an expert or anything but I do have more track time then anybody. If there is any questions you guys have I am more then happy to answer and help out the best I can.

What are the rules? Is there a weight limit? I'd like to show up at the spring Spooky Tooth race with a 2wd ebike using 2 hubmotors that would put me over the 70lb weight limit they are artificially imposing for next year's ebike racing, despite the fact that I would be the only one racing a bike that is a street legal bicycle where I live. I can't think of anything worse than making an international trip for a race only to not be allowed.

Weight limit? Hmm. If there is one, I might as well not bring a bike (at least not to race)--they all weigh more than 70lbs. :(

Hi Guys, in all of this post all I see is batteries and rules.
I just want to know is what kind of costumes you are all wearing?
It is listed as a "Halloween race" so what are the costume rules? :lol: Just joking, wish I could just make it to watch.
Hope you all have a safe and fun "Halloween race"
Dan

No weight limit, my bike is a good 80-90lbs. and maybe more, I have yet to weight it.

The Death Race has always been kinda of a outlaw race....run with what you got as long as it's a bicycle with pedals. But, we even allow those with no pedals as long as it used to be bicycle. Now if you show up with a 1000cc motor, we will still let you race but your win will not count And we may ask you to show proof of health insurance.

There is now some guys with 10-18hp morini's? A little much if you ask me, my 5hp morini is as far as I will take it.. Even though there are guys with some hybrid chinese motors that are way up in HP. Taking a Chinese motor and squeezing 5hp is possible so I have no problem with 5.8hp morini's.

Death Race began as a race through the streets of Tucson, we moved it to the track for safety and to keep the law off of us. Some past races included a 20 mile race up a 9,000' mountain. M

We have been running the Death Race for 6 years and this is only the second year on the track.

Future DR we do plan to have rules and classes, but there will be a limit to the classes. I will not allow 5 classes for electric or 4 classes for 50cc 2-stroke. It just gets too complicated and not enough track time to hold so many classes.

Nothing set in stone but future classes may include
2-stroke class
4-stroke class
2 & 4 stroke unlimited (Morini's, hybrids ect.)
E-Class

One thing I would not like to see is motors with internal gearbox, thats just too motorcycle like.

This October Death Race...Bicycle with pedals and motor assist gas or electric...thats the rules. If your bike weighs 300lbs.. ...all I can say is good luck and I hope you have health insurance and please dont take me out lol.

Track requires everyone to be 18 or older unless you have a parent or guardian to sign the release form. Helmet, eye protection, gloves, elbow & Knee pads. Long sleeve shirt, long pants, and closed toe shoes.

If you got leathers were them! If you got chest, back protectors...wear them! If I had them I sure would wear them myself. That track hurts even at 30mph and can do some serious damage.

The bike in your sig weighs 80-90lbs??? Is that solid rod instead of tubing? I'd end up a bit heavier than yours primarily because of the stronger fork and headset I'd need for the motored wheel up front. Regarding class, I'd only want to go in the unlimited with you gassers, because it's time to help you guys forget about those noisy stinkbikes, as the Aussies call them. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

John in CR said:
The bike in your sig weighs 80-90lbs??? Is that solid rod instead of tubing? I'd end up a bit heavier than yours primarily because of the stronger fork and headset I'd need for the motored wheel up front. Regarding class, I'd only want to go in the unlimited with you gassers, because it's time to help you guys forget about those noisy stinkbikes, as the Aussies call them. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yes, same bike. It is a custom built bicycle frame very well made to handle what ever you toss at it. You should see what it does off-road, if it was a regular bicycle frame I'd be dead or seriously injured by now.

Glad there's no weight limit--that way if I have ot use my lead I can. :lol:

I think I have a better solution though, if I can stop blowing up my motors and controllers.

You know what? I actually forgot how much fun CrazyBike2 is to ride, in the almost-a-year since I broke it's drivetrain the last time and got tired of replacing twisted chainrings and busted chains. :lol:

Went for a test ride on it with the tiny little Fusin, and kept going until I ran the battery down to controller cutoff, and had to pedal it back with very minimal assist. (which is a LOT easier without the lead on there!)

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=323589#p323589

Assuming I can get it fast enough to bother with, then I'd like to try racing it. :) Based on the speeds people have been talking about, I probably can't get more than half the speed of what the top people can reach.

At least crashing CB2 won't hurt as much as an upright bike. :lol:

The name came from it being a crazy idea to build it at all, haphazardly combining two bikes to make one, and all the other crazy ideas I've stuck into it. It's been a heck of an experiment, with at least four different motors powering it at different times, and three different drivetrains. Two different seats, even. :)

Haveta take the cargo pods (big boxes) off the rear end to race it htough, or it won't lean far enough to turn quick. It already has enough of a limit on that just because the front wheel only pivots 30-40 degrees to either side of center.

We have some very cool and unique bikes at DR, this is Scot and he did very well.

sorry, trying to figure out how to upload pics here :oops:

Well, see if this link works http://s390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/FR31MB/Death%20Race/?action=view&current=237.jpg

Back