heinzman kit very disapointing

barneys34

10 mW
i have had a 500 watt cyclone kit for 2 months with high power psi lifepo4 24 volt battery its good for around 22 mph and can climb hills because it uses my bikes gears i wanted some thing a bit better so i purchased a heinzman kit with a nimh 9.5 amh battery and 2 motors a high torq hill climbing motor {16 mph} works great but not want i want i was looking forward to fitting the high speed low torq motor but i was very disapointed to say the least the motor will not pull the bike if there is a slight head wind or if u are below 15 mph i am looking for information from u guys on what the problem could be the high torq motor works as it should so the battery and 30 amp speed controller are ok i am thinking of selling the heinzman motors and speed controller and buying a nine continents kit for ebikes.ca i will keep my 36 volt nimh{saft} battery and i also have a new ping 48 volt 10 amp lifepo4 battery that should get me between 25 and 30 mph with the nine continents kit

Hi,

Gary posted that he got better performance with a through the gears system with 2.6kw peaks than a 5kw X-lyte hub so if you are expecting a hub motor setup with comparably power to have anywhere close to the performance of a Cyclone you are going to be disappointed.

Are you running the high speed at 24v? If it has a temp sensor, you might try a 36v controller and more volts. My regular, high torque 24v motor will get hot fast if I run it at 36v, but depending on how you use it, it might be fine at 36v. My use was too hard on it, up and down steep hills in the desert, deep sand, etc. If you don't have the temp switch, you can monitor temps with a remote sensored thermometer. Just an indoor outdoor car thermometer with the sensor stuck to the hub where the wires come out. Should be findable cheap in the auto parts places.

i use a 24 volt {the limit for the built in controller} 10 amp lifepo4 psi battery with the cyclone kit and for a 500 watt kit it goes ok at over 20 mph but the heinzmann kit uses a nimh {saft} 36 volt 9.5 amp battery and the high torq motor is 750 watt runs fine the low torq high speed motor is 850 watt is like brand new and has very little power until around 15 or 20 mph then it seams to run ok but nothing great is this normal that it has this little power in head wind or slight hills

Nope, brushed motors have less range. The Heinzmann is built for torque. Some have metal gears inside.

morph999 said:
heinzman's are built for range. Right?

In it's day, yes. its an old design, but workes compeditivly with moderen brushless geared hubs.
More importantly, they were built for simplicity, more universal adaptability, longevity, efficancy, and style.

Most older users, and the kind of women I know would be turned off by a science project looking chain drive motor bolted to a bike, not to mention scared to death of the torque. My Girlfriend is intimadated enough by my 9c at 36 volts. She likes it but the acceleration scares her a little.

THE HIGH SPEED MOTOR IS AS NEW I WILL PUT MY WATTS UP METER ON THE BIKE THIS WEEKEND AND SEE WHAT ITS DRAWING AND WHAT VOLTAGE SAG I GET

barneys34 said:
i have had a 500 watt cyclone kit for 2 months with high power psi lifepo4 24 volt battery its good for around 22 mph and can climb hills because it uses my bikes gears i wanted some thing a bit better so i purchased a heinzman kit with a nimh 9.5 amh battery and 2 motors a high torq hill climbing motor {16 mph} works great but not want i want i was looking forward to fitting the high speed low torq motor but i was very disapointed to say the least the motor will not pull the bike if there is a slight head wind or if u are below 15 mph i am looking for information from u guys on what the problem could be the high torq motor works as it should so the battery and 30 amp speed controller are ok i am thinking of selling the heinzman motors and speed controller and buying a nine continents kit for ebikes.ca i will keep my 36 volt nimh{saft} battery and i also have a new ping 48 volt 10 amp lifepo4 battery that should get me between 25 and 30 mph with the nine continents kit

Just some personal opinions;

Yes, most hub motors will have trouble matching the same hill climbing and top speed specs as a cyclone with the same batteries.

but If you are only getting 22mph out of a 500w cyclone with a good set of high power psi lifepo4 cells, you might have a bike problem. I get that out of a 360w cyclone with 2 yr old Nimh.

I would wonder what your rear cluster might be. If you run a 9 speed 32/11 on a 26" wheel, you should see some real good hill climbing and about 26mph.

Another problem you may be having is the H'mann wants a lot of current. LOTS at startup and under load. Put a meter on that Nimh pack and see what kind of sag you are getting.

Plus-- one rides. shifts and pedals a chain drive differently than a hub motor --as the multipliers are different, as is the attempt to stay on the motors sweet spot for hill climbing. On a chain drive one maintains motor speed by shifting the chain, lower bike speed is OK. On a hub motor one maintains motor speed by keeping the bike going fast and avoiding drops in bike speed.

On my cyclone I can recover from dropping to 5mph up a hill, but on the Bionx cannot let that happen.

anyway, that is my 2 watts worth.

d

i run a 34-11 rear cassete on the cyclone kit if i pedal along with the power at 100% i can get 30 mph easy but to keep things simple i just stated on power alone the 500 watt cyclone kit will do 21-22 mph on my light weight mountain bike with skinny road tyres i weigh 12 stone . should the 500 watt cyclone kit do more i just serviced the bike and fitted a new high end kmc chain .

back to the heinzmann kit the high speed motor seams to be getting better now after every charge i had it out today and it will now pull from 10 mph on its own the bike will do around 27-28 mph without me pedaling .i covered 16 miles on mostly flat roads with very little wind and with me pedaling along a bit the battery lasted no problem .i think the nimh battery is starting to come alive now after been stored by its prevoius owner for 2 months.i was going to buy the nine continent kit for my giant nrs2 bike but i dont think i will now i will stick with the heinzman high speed low torq as i can use the disc brakes with it

Ahh, the rest of the story, the batteries were of unknown quality. Blame the motor first anyway. :lol:

i have just added a booster pack to my cyclone kit i now have the 10 amp 24 volt wired with a 7.4 volt lipo rc battery the bike goes really well with it and will do 28 mph withothout me pedaling i am now thinking about ordering 6 d cells made by vapex 1.2 volt 10 amp and have a 3c rating i think they would make an ideal booster pack only problem is i will have 2 sets of batterys to recharge after every run but i think it will be worth it for the extra power

Back