Kent 20'' Torpedo ebike

This bike is a Basic PAS, I am wanting to convert it to a throttle only, because 1st power level you don't feel any help from the motor, maybe 10-20% and 2nd is a good boost of power maybe 60-80% and 3rd is 100%
Also you cant peddle fast enough to keep up with the speed at level 3 power. So your just spinning your feet slowly to keep the motor/bike going.

Specs:
Motor 180 Watt 24v
Battery 24v 5.2AH

The bottom of the battery holder is really thick and has three cables coming out of the bottom
2 small( handlebars controller, and cadence sensor), 1 thicker(to the motor)
Maybe where the controller is hidden inside?

Rated voltage 24v
Rated current 8A
Low voltage protection 20v
Maximum current 15A

The brake levers each have 2 pin connectors to cut motor power when used. I unplugged them both and the PAS still works.
The power selector, battery status and on/off button has a 5 pin connector.

The PAS is a constant power. 3 Power Levels (small assist, medium assist, large assist)

How would i go about making this a throttle only bike?

Would I need another controller?
Would it work with PAS removed?

This is my first ebike build/mod

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 246
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    73.8 KB · Views: 246
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 246
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 246
  • image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 246
unicyclewheelie said:
This bike is a Basic PAS, I am wanting to convert it to a throttle only, because 1st power level you don't feel any help from the motor, maybe 10-20% and 2nd is a good boost of power maybe 60-80% and 3rd is 100%
Also you cant peddle fast enough to keep up with the speed at level 3 power. So your just spinning your feet slowly to keep the motor/bike going.

It's likely that it has a speed-level PAS control, so that each of the levels chooses a different wheel speed, rather than a different power level. You can verify this by testing the wheel offground (perhaps by hand-cranking the pedals with the bike upside down), and observe the wheel speed. If it adjusts the power level based on assist level, the wheel will spin full speed on all modes (because it wont' even take the minimum power just to spin the wheel, so it will be as fast as it can go offground). If it's speed-level based, you will see a definite change in speed with each change in assist level.

If you use a "torque simulation" controller instead, they should (if they are what is commonly called that) provide a different current level for each assist level, rather than different speeds. It's much more bicycle like.

It is very likely that you'll need to change the controller to add a throttle, as many (most?) of the PAS-only systems don't have a place to wire a throttle even if you open up the controller, and those that do often have firmware that does not read that input even if you can wire one in.

With your existing contorller, it is also possible that it will require you to be pedalling for the throttle to operate, even if you can add the throttle.

With your existing contorller, the throttle may operate all the time and have the full range of control (most likely), or it may operate only in one of the assist modes, or may be limited to the same speed/etc as the PAS in each mode.

The bottom of the battery holder is really thick and has three cables coming out of the bottom
2 small( handlebars controller, and cadence sensor), 1 thicker(to the motor)
Maybe where the controller is hidden inside?
That's likely, if it's not actually in the battery itself (some are).

Dependign on the space available and the controller you choose, you may not be able to fit the new controller in there.

You may also have to change the display (with the LEDs and buttons) to one that comes with the new controller; it's common for them to not be inter-compatible.

Why do you have a bike without a throttle, if that's not what you wanted?

Is it for a child? Probably better without a throttle, if it's for a kid.

Back