Looking at this for a bike build your thoughts?

kneedeep

100 W
This is a German built bike shimano 8 speed nexus hub rear with a 6watt dynamo style hub front. I can buy this for $225 CAD. I might just buy it for curiosity.

Attachments

• $_27ss.JPG
    $_27ss.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 1,276
  • bike.JPG
    bike.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 1,276
  • dd.JPG
    dd.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 1,276
  • sssss.JPG
    sssss.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 1,276
Depends what you want to put on it, of course. But electrifying it means you don't need the dyno, so a front wheel motor could work. If you prefer rear, it would be a shame to give up the IGH.

I have dyno lights on my bike, and I just bought a cheap 6 V AC-DC converter on Amazon to power them.

Not too bad a bike. I think you can make it work. It depends In Canada what are the limitations in terms of watts for motor size.

heavymetalthunder said:
Not too bad a bike. I think you can make it work. It depends In Canada what are the limitations in terms of watts for motor size.

Canadians dont worry about limitations.

Bad bike for a hub motor, because of the shock fork up front, and indeed, would be a shame to lose the IGH. The IGH could always go on another bike though.

In short,, like many of my bike purchases, weigh the parts on it vs the price.

Perfect bike for a low wattage mid drive for commuting ,or long distance rides that milk max range from the battery by using 200w or less.

cycborg said:
dogman dan said:
Bad bike for a hub motor, because of the shock fork up front
Can you expand on that? Isn't one of the benefits of suspension maintaining drive traction?

There are two problems with hub motors on suspension forks. First, the unsprung weight and driving force from the hub motor make the suspension misbehave. Second and more significantly, most suspension fork lowers are made from brittle aluminum or magnesium castings, and are likely to break from the slightest movement of a hub motor's flatted axle.

Edit:
By the way, that's a superb value at $225, if the hub is fully functional. The rear wheel alone would cost you at least $400 at regular retail price.

Luna cycle has a mid drive and matching battery just take out bottom bracket and replace bottom backet. Simple. And battery mounts to bottle bracket . 800.00 usd Done. Same rear end. Oh done again. Oh ?

Back