Manufacturers and dealers to avoid

friendly1uk said:
I'm amazed this hasn't turned in to a bmsbattery thread. Or do they still have a thread of their own? lol

I don't have time. A total catalogue of errors to numerous to even begin.

Yup. Should have avoided them. But you know, $3k in transactions without a hitch, I really expected them to value my loyalty and me recommending them than $100 to ship me out the right product.

Either their margins are so thin they'd rather lose the client, or they just take us Westerners for fools.

I'm having some real trouble with Magnum Bikes. Having failed to find a pre-built bike that completely met my needs, and with their Metro, the closest match, out of stock, I decided (reluctantly) to buy their 500 watt rear hub kit and convert one of my EZIPs. I really wanted a pre-built bike, but again, the Metro was out of stock wherever I looked, and my main EZIP bike was out of commission, with the backup bike badly needing work. I need to ride at least every several days because of heart and leg issues. The listing for the kit said, when I ordered it, "In Stock (Can be Back ordered)". I went through checkout with no issues, using PayPal. After the transaction was completed, though, I received an email from Magnum, thanking me for my "Back Order" and telling me that they would email me when it was in stock - no estimate at all. The main reason I ordered that kit was that it was the only one that I liked at all that was "In Stock." So I emailed them, saying that if they couldn't get the kit to me within two weeks at most, I'd want to cancel. Still angry, It occurred to me to search amazon.com for third party dealers with the Metro in stock. I found one, and ordered a black Metro. I emailed Magnum again, asking them to cancel the order because it had been listed incorrectly as "in stock." No reply. I have since emailed them twice more, through the contact form on their site, and through PayPal. I get auto-responses saying that they have received the email and will get back to me 'within a day'. I ordered the kit (and then the bike) last Thursday night.

It is coming up on a full week, and I have gotten nothing from an actual person at Magnum Bikes, either by email or in response to the PayPal message. I'm worried about two separate but related issues: I seem to have been burned by a company that wants orders but won't refund them even when they are at fault, and the bike I just bought is sold (although not actually made) by them. I suggest you deal with them with extra caution!

not updated web sites with false info I met couple of times.
very frustrated
thank you for posting about it.
for me this "Manufacturers and dealers to avoid" thread is very important one.
it should not be burried in E-bike general discussion
but be separate category.

Regarding Magnum Bikes, consider posting your complaint and questions to their Facebook page.

Also, may give them a call?
Call (323) 375-2666

wturber said:
Regarding Magnum Bikes, consider posting your complaint and questions to their Facebook page.

Call (323) 375-2666

The Facebook idea is a good one, but I don't have a FB account. If necessary I'll create one. As for phone calls, I don't like them because there is no "paper trail" other than the fact that a call was made and received. I want a response from them that PayPal will also see.

LeftieBiker said:
wturber said:

Call (323) 375-2666

The Facebook idea is a good one, but I don't have a FB account. If necessary I'll create one. As for phone calls, I don't like them because there is no "paper trail" other than the fact that a call was made and received. I want a response from them that PayPal will also see.

Just follow up each phone call with an email. The point behind calling is to make sure that they are getting your emails (and that you are getting their if they say that they sent any) and to let them know you won't be going away.

There is no way there aren't seeing the emails - especially the ones from PayPal. If they deliberately aren't opening them, then calling won't do any good either. I'm trying PayPal first, as that is the source of most of their income.

On day 8 they refunded the PayPal payment without comment to PayPal. I got an email saying that:

"Office (magnumbikes)

Jun 29, 19:10 IDT
Hi Michael,

I tried to get in touch with you via email and phone, but I did not receive an answer. I went ahead and refunded the money and cancelled the backorder.

I apologize for any confusion there may have been with this.

Thank you for your time and understanding.

Kindly,

Skye"

I got no emails from them about this before this one, other than auto-responses that proved that they had gotten my messages and could email me. As for calls, I got no voicemails from them. They may have called and not left a message but there are so many spam calls that I don't answer non-local calls. That's why I always ask vendors to please use email. I wonder how she'd explain not responding to the PayPal requests... ah well, I got my money back.

I recently purchased their (Magnum Bikes) ebike kit, and its been working as advertised. I've also contacted the company with questions and they responded everytime. The kit came with an 8Fun hub motor, and everything has high quality Higo ip66 connectors. The system I have is rated at 500w. I don't see a 1000w system anywhere on their site.

I purchased the kit at a LBS, who also happens to carry the entire Magnum line.

I think I transposed the price with the wattage - sorry about that. Magnum was responsive enough with me when I asked about ordering the Metro with different controls, but when I asked for the kit refund I got zilch from them. They also didn't respond to requests made through PayPal messaging.

I'm waiting for FedEx to deliver my Metro now. Fingers crossed!

My luck is holding - all bad. I located a 3rd party seller on amazon with 5 Magnum Metros, and ordered one. He then sent amazon notification that the bike had shipped, with delivery date, but no tracking number was provided to anyone, despite a request from me. Almost two weeks later, I cancelled vacation plans to stay home to sign for the bike (On my birthday), but...no bike ever arrived. I got amazon on the case, and it turned out that there never was one bike, much less five. I was sold another "back order," but this time wasn't even notified of it after the fact. Avoid the amazon seller "In the Hole" like the plague. I may have located another Metro, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm waiting for it in writing that the bike actually exists, in the seller's hands. It seems that people scamming/trolling for pre-orders, using "in stock" listings, is becoming a common practice...

This is ridiculous. On Ebay I found this seller: http://velomini.com/ under "elvmotors". They had a 100% positive record with 106 sales, and listed 10 Magnum Metros in stock. So I ordered one, and requested in the 'message to seller" field that they cancel the transaction if the bike wasn't in stock. (I had asked them through Ebay if the bike was in stock, but received no reply over 2 1/2 days, including the 4th.) On the evening of the third day, after I had ordered that morning, I got a message from the seller, saying that the bike was - you guessed it - out of stock, and would be back in next Wednesday. Gritting my teeth, I asked if that was a firm date, or just a guess. He replied that it was just an "estimate from my shipping department." The listing dropped to 6 bikes "available." Another Chinese bike purveyor with flexible ethics, trolling for orders. I'm trying one last dealer, and if they won't tell me in writing beforehand that they have a Metro for me, I'm getting either a Surface 604 Rook or a Magnum Ui6, if I can find one. As for these dealers, may they one day need a new heart, only to be told "Sorry, that's actually on back-order."

I see that Aliexpress has already been mentioned on page 14, and I totally agree.

I bought a frame from them over a year ago.The only thing I had bought from china before was an android TV box that actually turned out to be very good. That wasnt the case with aliexpress.
The tabs on the swingarm had to be bent to sit tightly against the bearing, when that was done the shock mount wasnt straight, either the swingarm wasnt straight anymore because one of the tab could have been bent more than the other(dunno which one they look the same on each side) or the shock mount was welded on incorrectly so the holes didnt line up. What a mess.
The chinese guy I contacted through aliexpress didnt understand english and it took him over a week to answer each message. In the end he offered to send me another swing arm, if I paid for it.

Yeah, I just did a small non-bike order from Aliexpress that arrived fine, but I wouldn't order a bike from them. It's alos possible that first orders get better treatment.

LeftieBiker said:
This is ridiculous. On Ebay I found this seller: http://velomini.com/ under "elvmotors". They had a 100% positive record with 106 sales, and listed 10 Magnum Metros in stock. So I ordered one, and requested in the 'message to seller" field that they cancel the transaction if the bike wasn't in stock. (I had asked them through Ebay if the bike was in stock, but received no reply over 2 1/2 days, including the 4th.) On the evening of the third day, after I had ordered that morning, I got a message from the seller, saying that the bike was - you guessed it - out of stock, and would be back in next Wednesday. Gritting my teeth, I asked if that was a firm date, or just a guess. He replied that it was just an "estimate from my shipping department." The listing dropped to 6 bikes "available." Another Chinese bike purveyor with flexible ethics, trolling for orders. I'm trying one last dealer, and if they won't tell me in writing beforehand that they have a Metro for me, I'm getting either a Surface 604 Rook or a Magnum Ui6, if I can find one. As for these dealers, may they one day need a new heart, only to be told "Sorry, that's actually on back-order."

Almost none of these Aliexpress companies have goods in stock. They all have access to the single manufacturer and are just sales fronts for them.

I learned this the hard way. I wanted some GTK LTO cells in the 25Ah size. had my eye on them for a while. I placed an order with a high rated seller who came back in 4 hours and told me that GTK stopped making them and gave me back my money straight away. I placed the order with another, slightly lower rated company who claimed they still had a few hundred in stock.

After 7 days, they said they were out of stock, but would send me 28ah for the same price. Unfortunately, 25ah had 5mm to spare, and 28ah wouldn't fit my enclosure, so I said if they were out of stock, I'd prefer to cancel the order. he immediately marked it as shipped, using a fake tracking number, and told me, he "magically" found a spare box and had sent my order.

Thus began the long battle with Aliexpress, who said that because there was a shipping number, they couldn't process a cancellation of 60 days. Well, of course after 60 days, nothing arrived, so I finally got my money back (minus changes in exchange rate), but no opportunity to leave negative feedback, because the "vendor did the right thing" by refunding a lost shipment. (Of course the shipping company claimed the tracking number was valid, but it has never been used)

Has anyone here dealt with Electric Spokes in New Jersey? I just ordered a Metro from them. Yelp seems to like them...

Here's a "manufacturer" (dealer of Chinese bikes) to avoid: Magnumbikes.com. I bought a Metro step-thru from one of their California dealers last Summer, and had it shipped to me, as there were no bikes in stock in the East. (I'll be doing a one year review of the bike soon.) This was my first geared hubmotor, and while it could be a bit loud at times it was, overall a good, mostly quiet bike - for about nine months. Then the motor started to occasionally get much, much louder, initially for a few seconds at a time. There being no Magnum dealer anywhere near me, I decided to wait until the noises happened more regularly. In the interim the freewheel started to clank, but that's another matter, covered in a topic here.

This wasn't my first interaction with Magnum: When I initially wanted to buy a Metro, there were none to be found - they were apparently in between shipments. So I decided to try their Das Kit on one of my EZIPs, instead. The site listed the kit as " IN STOCK (can be back-ordered)". Assuming that this just meant it was possible to order it even when not in stock, I ordered one, through PayPal. Magnum immediately converted the purchase to a back order. When I saw this I emailed them requesting a refund. No reply. I then initiated a complaint with PayPal, who also did not initially get a reply from Magnum. A week later, as the refund deadline was near, Magnum finally contacted me, claiming that they had been emailing and calling me with no response, and would refund the order. I have both Gmail and voicemail, and there was no way they had been doing this, but I let that slide. (Yes, I checked the spam folder in Gmail. Nothing.)

Anyway, back to the increasingly loud bicycle: as the warranty ended the hubmotor was still functioning fine, but was also getting louder and louder. I emailed Magnum, asking if they would sell me a new rear wheel assembly, at their cost. I never at any point asked for a free replacement. I was then treated to a sort of slow runaround, in which I was asked to take it a Magnum dealer (the nearest is in another state), then I received the following:

First:
"Unfortunately, based on our warranty policy we don't want the end user working on the electrical because something else could fail. We do not provide instruction on taking apart the motor for this reason. Do you have any videos of the noises so that I can hear what is going on with the motor and maybe help you with out having to go to your dealer." (This was after the warranty had ended)

Then:

"Unfortunately, I couldn't sell the anything at our cost. Once I see the video I can show my bosses and see if there is anything they would be will to do. That would be the best that I could do for you."

So I made a "video" that was 90% audio only, because I had to use my smartphone in my seat bag, with the flap mostly closed and just the mic exposed. I posted it to YouTube, and waited. And waited. Then I asked if they had played it. And waited. In fact, I have not received another communication from them, even after being asked to reply twice, over three weeks. Here we have a "manufacturer" who will not sell replacement parts to owners of their products! If there is no Magnum dealer near you (and frankly even if there is, given the company's behavior), I suggest you not buy a bicycle from them. I'll be looked for a direct drive aftermarket hubmotor/wheel/controller to replace the still working but howling one on my POS Magnum Metro.

Isn't that just a Bafang geared hub motor? Parts for that are easy to find, and the gears blowing after a lot of use isn't that unusual. But yea if they offer a 1 year warranty they should at least let you ship it to them for fixing, otherwise what is the warranty supposed to be exactly?

The motor is actually stamped "Das Kit" so I don't know if it is a rebadged Bafang or not. All I know at this point is that Magnum (which I suspect is just an office in someone's house somewhere) is ignoring me after I posted the recording they asked for, won't even give me info to work on the bike myself, and won't sell me a wheel at cost. I'll be damned if I'll pay retail for another unit that won't even go a year (the current one got noisy at just 1300 miles) so that leaves grafting in another wheel, or another drive system entirely.

AVOID Magnum.

Back