Reviews and Modifications of ebike model: XB-310Li

Yeah the xb310 is still my main commuter because I've upgraded it to go much faster than the emoto. although i do enjoy riding the emoto just as much, its suspension is much more comfortable and it handles and breaks much better. It has a lot of suspension travel so it doesn't really fold smaller than the XB310 but it does fold narrower because the handlebars are narrower. The GF usually takes the emoto.

I always have someone help me lift the bike into the trunk if there is someone with me. Thats too bad it doesn't fit in the sedan, I only manage to fit it in trunks by putting the handle bar into the hole where the spare tire goes. Thank god I have a hatch back, so much more practical than sedans! :p

Any comments about ecrazyman controller versus lyen? Yours is ecrazyman/keywin right? What do you think? Does your pedal assist still work?

Also, what do you think about that shunt mod in the beginning of the thread? Worth the time? How hard is it to do and what are the benefits?

Thx!

If you want I have a few 36v 10Ah little frog batteries available locally. They are brand new. I have a sales thread in the for sale section here.

I've had a lot of fun with this bike, upgrading it before I sold it. The quality is fine for the money but there's a LOT of room for improvement :)

As for the warranty , I doubt you'd get anything out of it even if the controller burnt out within the warranty period. I've had trouble getting responses to simple questions, let alone warranty replacement issues.

synthrider said:
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the killer tips : ) I've had a XB-310Li for a little over a year. Been riding it on stock battery and stock controller. Finally decided to upgrade. Getting the 36volt Li-Ion. I'm in touch with Annie Lei who's trying to direct me to the BMSBattery website, and I'm trying to get her to take my order via skype : ) Also sent an email to Keyvan/ecrazyman to see if he'll sell me a controller. I'm going to try to run the 36volt on the stock controller for a while - see how it goes etc, and hopefully have upgraded controller as a spare/backup.

I already burnt out one controller, just after the puny 90 day warranty expired :D

For some reason I decided to run the throttle and pedal assist modes at the same time. The bike didn't like it : )

Other than that, man I kind of dig this bike... even on the stock parts. I've gone through crazy downpours without a hitch (must've lucked out, that controller casing is asking for trouble), and even got swiped by a car once (it must've been going 30, I was going 18 or something). NO DAMAGE to the bike. Miraculous. The motor didn't want to run right after the accident, but then started up fine that same evening (weird). I was OK btw - just scrapes mostly. I think the weight of the bike helped in absorbing a lot of the energy.

(Dumb city with no bike lanes.)

Anyhows, IMHO this bike is a weird mix of cheapness and quality, that somehow works good, pretty much : )

I have 3 Arkel bags on it (4 counting the tool bag), and it's completely replaced my car. I'll shoot a pic sometime : )

Ride safe, enjoy, and I'll let you guys know about my upgrades.

Yep, the mini monster from lien worked very well AND it fit in the little frog controller compartment, just barely, but it did! So you'll eke the stock look of the bike..

The Stig said:
Sounds good!

Be sure to run good strong blinky lights 24/7 so you don't get hit by any more cars!!

Its a cheapy ebike but definitely has some carrying advantages with its solid rack and rated rider weight of 300lbs.

I recomend a 6fet controller, I like lyens because its programmable and has good fets but ecrazyman has them for cheaper i believe.

So what city do you ride in?

PAS is convenient but it won't work with this controller. You can still simulate it with the throttle. Just twist it a bit and keep pedaling :)

synthrider said:
Stig,

About the controller, didn't you get your controller from ecrazyman/keywin? I've been trying to go that route because you reported success with it... eugenem posted above about a controller from lyen... he liked it a lot, except that he lost the pedal assist function (entire function was not supported, I guess). I would really like to keep the pedal assist. I use that all the time and only use the throttle as a backup, if I'm dead tired, injured, cold/wet/miserable etc...

It used to fit in the trunk of my car. Just loosen the bolts and turn or take off the handlebars :)

Depends on the trunk of course but yes the folding feature is fairly useless there. Then again, that's nothing a $50 rack won't fix.

synthrider said:
(And that's a good idea about the lights... I upgraded my light right after the accident, and yeah, started using it even if it's not dark... that street was a deathtrap of sorts (two car lanes, no bike lane, no shoulder, just a ditch), and drivers here don't understand how to deal with anything that isn't a car... It's a town in Florida (US), not far from Tampa.)

Are you still riding your xb-310li? Or has it been eclipsed by the e-moto? Does the e-moto fold smaller by comparison? One thing that sucks about the 310 is that it won't fit in every car trunk...(maybe half fit, with door open...) And just getting it off the ground and into the trunk kind of sucks too : ) But yah, it's definitely got some things going for it. If it wasn't as heavy and sturdy as it is, neither the bike nor its rider would've fared well during the accident. And the cargo rack / weight capacity rocks.

The Stig said:
Whoever you get a controller from I recommend getting a throttle from as well so you don't have to do custom wiring, and maybe for compatability...

Did you get yours from ecrazyman along with the controller? What do you think (re: both of em)? Was swapping the throttle a pain in the ass? (Would I have to rewire the whole thing, or is there some kind of "mickey mouse job" option?)

I kept everything stock, but the controller, well and the lack of PAS and it worked just fine, no complaints.

synthrider said:
Eugenem, did you ever swap your throttle or did you keep the stock? How'd it work out?

My PAS never worked.

The folding feature is still mega useful if your in a city, you can take it on public transit, or in a cab(they have big trunks). very useful if a storm or flat tire hits you. Its saved me a couple times.

I'm thinking of replacing my front fork, mine is getting increasingly undamped.

If you're anywhere near NY, I have a bunch of bike parts including new suspension front forks that you can take for free, just need to take them off the bike frames.

The Stig said:
My PAS never worked.

The folding feature is still mega useful if your in a city, you can take it on public transit, or in a cab(they have big trunks). very useful if a storm or flat tire hits you. Its saved me a couple times.

I'm thinking of replacing my front fork, mine is getting increasingly undamped.

The Stig said:
My PAS never worked.

The PAS was DOA? Or after the controller swap? I've been in touch with Lyen btw... getting a very sweet sounding bundle... All based around his "6 FET 3077 Mark II Mini Monster LYEN Edition Controller." He now adds optional POS modules for $15... hopefully it will work...

The Stig said:

Yah I got it thinking ahead a bit to storms and breakdowns... Saved me once too... got a flat, on the rear tire, no less - the cab driver was a little grumpy when he saw I had a bike, then a little less grumpy when I told him it folds, then a bit more grumpy again when he had to help me put it in the trunk (which wouldn't quite close) : ) Basically the plan worked : )

I use slime in my tires so a small puncture has never been an issue. I was always able to get back home.

synthrider said:
The Stig said:
My PAS never worked.

The PAS was DOA? Or after the controller swap? I've been in touch with Lyen btw... getting a very sweet sounding bundle... All based around his "6 FET 3077 Mark II Mini Monster LYEN Edition Controller." He now adds optional POS modules for $15... hopefully it will work...

The Stig said:

Yah I got it thinking ahead a bit to storms and breakdowns... Saved me once too... got a flat, on the rear tire, no less - the cab driver was a little grumpy when he saw I had a bike, then a little less grumpy when I told him it folds, then a bit more grumpy again when he had to help me put it in the trunk (which wouldn't quite close) : ) Basically the plan worked : )

eugenem said:
I use slime in my tires so a small puncture has never been an issue. I was always able to get back home.

Thx for the tip! I got "thorn-resistant" tubes and an "armadillo all condition tire" after that last one (no probs since)... I'll look into getting some slime too...

I have armadillos but they are not as puncture resistant as they claim to be.

There's a lot of controvercy around slime. People love it or hate it. It always worked great for me even when added after the puncture. It is true, you can patch a tube but I wouldn't want to do it on the road somewhere and slime is a good 2 minute fix.

synthrider said:
eugenem said:

Thx for the tip! I got "thorn-resistant" tubes and an "armadillo all condition tire" after that last one (no probs since)... I'll look into getting some slime too...

You're probably right :)

The Stig said:
The Bicycle stores around here never seem to carry slime. I bet most of the controversy is from people who make money off changing inner tubes.

Oh, definitely get it on amazon. It's cheap and you'll get it in 2 days with prime. If you don't have prime, sign up with amazon mom and get 3 months for free with no commitments.

I highly recommend finding a good deal on prime (i got t for 40/year). It is awesome! Comes with a free netflix like service as a bonus :)

The Stig said:
I'd love to get some slime if knew where to get it around here.

Prime is cool : ) I have a free trial right now (one month). I don't know if they extend that to everyone or what.

eugenem said:
I highly recommend finding a good deal on prime (i got t for 40/year). It is awesome! Comes with a free netflix like service as a bonus :)

(speaking of shipping, got your tracking number... thx!)

You must not be a bargain hunter :). I'm joking of course but I've had free prime for the last 2 years. Finally got tired of looking for prime deals and got a 50% off memebership since it also comes with amazon video service. :)

I think they reduced amazon mom trials from 1 year to 3 months recently. Still a good deal

synthrider said:
Prime is cool : ) I have a free trial right now (one month). I don't know if they extend that to everyone or what.

eugenem said:

(speaking of shipping, got your tracking number... thx!)

Question about batteries: Is it better to charge em right after a *very* short discharge? I know they say less than 30% discharges will prolong the battery, but what about something super short? Where you take the bike maybe 2 miles roundtrip?

Assuming your next trip will be coming up soon, say the next day and will be super short as well, does it make sense to charge it twice? Is it good, bad, or indifferent?

I've never been clear on that...

Well I have seen manufacturers rate their cells at xxx full cycles or twice they at half cycles. I am not 100% sure of it but I think that would mean three times the cycles at 30%.

synthrider said:
Question about batteries: Is it better to charge em right after a *very* short discharge? I know they say less than 30% discharges will prolong the battery, but what about something super short? Where you take the bike maybe 2 miles roundtrip?

Assuming your next trip will be coming up soon, say the next day and will be super short as well, does it make sense to charge it twice? Is it good, bad, or indifferent?

I've never been clear on that...

Never got around to replying to this. Generally the more often you can charge the better. But I would say don't bother charging if your battery is only down 1 or 2 volts. I don't think it would make a significant difference, so its not worth the time.

If you want to go into details, in this case we're looking at the HVC or the voltage your battery reaches at peak charge. If its conservative and is lower than what the battery can handle, charging would always be better right to the top. If its right up to where that battery can just handle it, usually stock HVCs are like this I guess, then maybe its better not to charge it if the voltage has only dropped a little bit.
HVC=High Voltage Cut-off

Back