TOOLS FOR BIKE BUILDERS

Congratulations, looks like you'll have your work cut out for you for at least the the next 18 years.

I have a grinder, drill and welder. I'm looking forward to building a roller-bender. It seems like it would be perfect for doing the long bends for cruiser/chopper frames. I also found a bender at http://www.affordablebender.com and it seems to be a simple design for doing sharp bends that could be easily replicated. The only hard part I can see is finding the dies to be adapted to.

There it is! Haha, AJ posted that earlier and I thought it was awesome how they used a steering wheel!! I don't know anything about bending tubing, but aren't the wheels and rollers all supposed to be closer together in order to keep the tubing from kinking?

Thanks Valy, and congrats!!

Top quality pix so far, excellent work!

Now, for a challenge...

How about a DIY tubing notcher? I've yet to see one that I could replicate with my limited shop equipment.

Right now I use the grind-check fit-curse method.

Katou

thank you Gestalt for help .
for my is not easy with computer I m not sow good in to rite in english to .
I try my best but I need help to make a good topic.
.I think I m not only one ho build home made tools.
thank you for help again. kindly Valy .
the tube nocher pictures coming soon :D

hello guys
hire I have materials and some tools what I need to build my tube notcher
Photo0306.jpg
Photo0310.jpg
Photo0311.jpg
Photo0313.jpg

after I drill them I put them together
Photo0314.jpg
Photo0315.jpg
Photo0316.jpg
Photo0317.jpg
the suport of the axel can be mouvet front and back depends of the dimension of pipe and ungle of cuting.

hire the suport of axel it is in the back side of the plate
Photo0318.jpg
in this picture you can see the odher side of the aluminium plate haw it is fixt the suport of the axel
Photo0319.jpg
Photo0320.jpg
hire I have them togheder with a midle scruvho give me posibility to turn the plate cutter 180 grades
Photo0321.jpg

hire I have the cutter axel in the suport
Photo0322.jpg
and hire I have mount the cutter
Photo0323.jpg
hire it is complet
Photo0324.jpg
in this picture you can see difrent ungle of cutting
Photo0325.jpg

Well Done Valy!

I think that maybe I could make that!

How do you make the angle when the holes do not line up? I see you can make cuts at 90 degrees and 45 degrees only?

Very impressive, keep up the good work.

Katou

Photo0332.jpg
/albums/bb367/valy40/tube%20notcher/Photo0331.jpg[/IMG]hire I start to build anoder one to have like speare parts
Photo0336.jpg
Photo0338.jpg
Photo0339.jpg

will come more picture after I will build water cooling for them and the first pipe cut VIDEO .
sorry for bad rite :(
[my roll bender it is finish :D come soon pictures :D ]
kindly Valy

Helllo katou if you look beter, the other 4 holls it is forr to titem the plates to dont turn from the vibration.
the under plate have 1hole in the middle to give posibility to turn al oround the plates like a clock tungs the other four scruws for the up plate when I tite them thei press the under plate and make them to dont mouve . I will show more picture with all scrws details

if you have... roll tube bender and tube notcher you can build somethink like this verry easy and very fast :D
spadeframewithneck1.jpg
:D nice no :D

sorry for the picture .not good quality
IMG_2353.jpg
IMG_2354.jpg
IMG_2355.jpg
IMG_2356.jpg
tomorow I will comme with more picture in details with other parts

Keep posting Valy, that tubing notcher is great!! I love these homemade tools!! :p

gestalt said:
I find myself getting sidetracked from my build by the quest for metal working tools. a bender has been eluding me at the moment because it seems hard to find one for a good price, but the roller bender seems like a good solid method for bending bicycle tubing at my price point...which is sadly very low.

you seem to have a great shop in the works there and I'm quite impressed and inspired. I as well was wondering exactly how a tube notcher works as I am thinking of buying a small drill press to adapt to the use. thanks for all the great info!

I got the Harbor freight Tubing roller and it will work fine once I fine tune it. I ended up turning down one of the die sets to the size I needed and will redrill and reposition the two outer rollers for tighter bends on thinner tubing. It's a very inexpensive and easily modified machine.

I'd like to turn some custom dies for it but making them out of steel takes a big machine. Any suggestions from anyone on an easier material to turn that will still support the tube well? Oak? Derlin? Urethane? I'm trying to think of things that are easy to find.

hello mddo127 if you will post some picture with your tool in construction ,then it is possible that we can give some ideeas, and help you to finish your homemade tool more easy and better .we are here to help. and we are interested too see how other guys build their tools :D
about what material you can use ,any one of them or teflon .nilon.aluminium etc. for a tube small like tube for building bikes you dont need metal rolls.I use for my big pipes (42x3,50x3, 60x4]for motorcycle frame ,teflon rolls and it is no problem. I will build more rolls with difrent dimension in aluminium.kindly Valy

Back