TOOLS FOR BIKE BUILDERS

hello mdd0127 yes the encouragement is constructive and thank you all of you for it.
but I think many of you guys have home made tools and I think it is interesting to se them :idea: to give ideeas how to build ours .
every person have good and constructive ideas how to build and it is better to show all of us how to make the job faster and better.
We can help each other to build better bikes and secure on the street.
I wish more guys will show what kind of tools they use to build bikes in there garage. :D Kindly Valy

valy said:
Hello guys
Kim you are lucky man to be born in a all time sunny country: D
about money no problem, the visa or paper is my problem . I apply for permanent visa and they told me I have to wait one or two year to have it.

Yes doing it the legal way takes time and is expensive, we currently have big problems with ilegals flaoting down on boats from Indonesia, almost weekly in non cyclone season, the new government are limp wristed to do anything to stop them other than giving them residency setting them up in near free housing and paying them 700 bucks a freakin week. So my best advice is fly to Indonesia pay the 15k going price(yes thats correct these poor hard done by refugees pay upto $US15k to get on a boat so they can skip 'the cue') for a ride down on a 'junk' when arrested by the Australian Navy tell them you're an asylum seeker and will be killed if you are sent back to your country, and then YOUR IN!!! G'day Mate! :mrgreen:

KiM

HAHA no you look alot like Chip Foose though :mrgreen: You could pass prolly pass for a Afghan asylum seeker perhaps a turban
learn a few lines of Farsi claim you and your family will be killed if your not granted asylum and i think your chances are better than good haha...

Seriously though, when did you meet 'The Man" Chip Foose that guys is a freakin LEGEND youngest man to be inducted into the hot rod hall of fame has one every major hot rod show worth winning alot numerous times !!

KiM

hello Kim you are the man :D in all your topics you sneak jokes: :D
I met Chip in Sweden in http://www.custommotorshow.se/and he is a nice man to busy with the show and to have fun in only 3 days here. :wink:
his cars they are perfect .
I see them and touch them :shock: :shock: every thing and parts is perfect done . he love his work you can see in his cars passion for art and perfection.
I have over 800 pictures from the show in the last 3 years they are :shock: :shock: this year it was the first time when they had custom bicycles.
I hope next year I will be there with mine :D

I would love to meet Chip, have you seen the guy draw? I have all the episodes of Overhaulin' he draws the cars he will build in
each episode before they are done, they ALWAYS turn out exactly like he draws them, HA i even saw him draw a car for disabled lad in a wheelchair, Chip had the page up the right way so the kid could see what he was drawing yep, Chip drew the damn car looking at it from upside down it was PERFECT too absolutely amazing talent ...

KiM

Valy, your thread here is one of the few that I actually look forward to reading EVERY TIME. Please continue posting about homemade tools and your work methods.

I learn something every time you post, and am reminded of a bunch of things I shouldn't have forgotten.

I love the shower-head coolant device, that was AWESOME!!

Keep up the good work. If you want a numerical pat on the back, look at the "times viewed" column in the "your posts" page, it will tell how how many people are checking out your thread, even if they do not post on it.

I'm a big fan, keep up the wicked work. That torque arm is a thing of beauty. Especially given the few tools used to make it!

Katou

hello guys
thank you Katou for your nice words and I m happy to heare I have a fan of my topic :D
I hope some guys like this topic about tools .they have somethink to learn . :wink:
will come more picture soon but now I dont have much time [I must to work .job -money-job :D ]

hello Kim I love Chips episods I see them all .I love hot rods. I wish to have one but my money they are not enough to buy.
and to build I dont have garage yet.
but if I will mouve to australia I will buy a big land to build a big garage with apartment on top for my family and I will sleep in garage :wink: :lol: :lol:
to recover my loose time.I hope in one day we will drink some australians beers together :wink: :D .and talk aboute bikes and..... :mrgreen:

hello guys it is time for litle work hire not only bla bla bla :D :D . hire I have new tork arms :wink:in steel 8 mm thick
IMG_3070.jpg

IMG_3072.jpg

IMG_3071.jpg

IMG_3108.jpg

IMG_3110.jpg

IMG_3112.jpg

IMG_3113.jpg

IMG_3114.jpg

IMG_3115.jpg

IMG_3116.jpg

IMG_3117.jpg

IMG_3118.jpg

Very slick Valy you will have some boiz drueling over those i am sure! Did you do the 'dimple' type finish on the arms or is that just the 'natural' finiah of the metal stock you used mate? Either way they look very strong and very proffesionally made top job, reckon you will have a heap of orders if you wanted to knock a few out for members, good 'pocket money' for you to put towards your custom builds or more machinery perhaps? Look forward to see what you come up with next mate :)

KiM

p.s I see you joined at Rat Rod Bikes too following your custom build there also, i don't comment much outside my own threads there though but i si watching you buddy...

hi Kim Im in ratrodbike, freakbike-nation ,golden motor forum etc.
yes I want to sell some custom tork arms .but I need time to build them.
i wish to build only custom ones .
I dont want to build in serie to have them home .
they are companys who have water or laser cutter and they are fast to build them and cheap.
for me it took long time to finish one :D
if I will sell some of them and the clients will be happy with them then I can build in small serie :)

valy those are wicked,i better start measuring :D . for me hand files drill bits take to long,plus i have duyputrens contracture which makes working with hand tools really suck,maybe from being a mechanic 25 plus years took its toll :shock:

Valy,
Is this torque arm aluminum? Nice job on the polished finish.
valy.jpg
I bought a piece of 2 inch aluminum pipe for a mail box post. Want to polish it to a mirror finish. Would you please tell me how to do that? What equipment would I need?

Thanks for the help.

hello marty for the moment I use a polish machine for cars I bought one with all includet or a grander with reglable speed
I will put some picture for you later ok
I will polish my next bike frame and I will show you how I did it :D

hello guys
I will show you what machines I use for polish aluminium and steinless steel
IMG_3214.jpg

a polish machine for cars with variable rotation and a grender bosch
IMG_3215.jpg

first I use sand paper brush can be 60 ,80 ,120 special for welds
IMG_3216.jpg

second I use sand paper 60 ,80, 120 etc...
IMG_3217.jpg

tird time I use sand paper brush 120 and after 350 for verry fine sandet.
IMG_3218.jpg

and in the and I use wool disk or textil disk with polish paste for miror shine
IMG_3219.jpg

IMG_3202.jpg

IMG_3198.jpg

IMG_2859.jpg

IMG_2860.jpg

IMG_2861.jpg

IMG_2894.jpg

hello guys
I will show some work in polish :)
first start here
IMG_3160.jpg

after 120 sand paper brush
IMG_3192.jpg

IMG_3193.jpg

after 350 sand paper brush
IMG_3194.jpg

and here after wool disk and polish paste
IMG_3195.jpg

IMG_3198.jpg

IMG_3196.jpg

IMG_3197.jpg

IMG_3202.jpg

IMG_2899.jpg

IMG_2900.jpg

IMG_2910.jpg

What is the object in the palm of your hand here?
View attachment IMG_3198.jpg

I have an adjustable speed polisher very similar to yours with the LCD; it didnt' come with any of the accessories so it was really cheap. :) I've since acquired a few polishing things for it, though I'm still learning how to use them. I hope to eventually make shiny things as nice as yours!

hello amberwolf that it is a polish paste for steinless steel
and I have white one for aluminium
they are difrent polish paste for difrent stage of polishing and materials
you can find on line shops who sell very cheap polish paste.
if you want a perfect mirror you have to use many sandbrushes like60, :arrow: 80 , :arrow: 120 , :arrow: 350, :arrow: 800.
and 2 difrent polish disks .first wool disk with red paste and after textil disk with white paste
and you can see you face like in the mirror after :D but is alot of work and time for that :wink:
I hope you will show us some thinks done with yours hands :) kindly Valy

valy said:
hello amberwolf that it is a polish paste for steinless steel
and I have white one for aluminium
they are difrent polish paste for difrent stage of polishing and materials
you can find on line shops who sell very cheap polish paste.
if you want a perfect mirror you have to use many sandbrushes like60, :arrow: 80 , :arrow: 120 , :arrow: 350, :arrow: 800.
and 2 difrent polish disks .first wool disk with red paste and after textil disk with white paste
and you can see you face like in the mirror after :D but is alot of work and time for that :wink:
Oh, yes, it is. I have done a little work like that but only with small things like jewelry-sized, or a few handheld sci-fi props, years ago. The polishing agents I have used were a powder rather than a paste, the paste would have been much easier to deal with (wouldnt' just go flying everywhere if I sneezed. :lol:)

I hope you will show us some thinks done with yours hands :) kindly Valy
I've got a few things up in my DayGlo Avenger and CrazyBike2 threads. ;) I'm not as good at this as you are yet, but eventually I might get there. Someday I'll get a bike design I *really* like completed and working, and then I'll take the time to clean it up nice like this. Mostly though, they're just experiments and will continue to be altered so often that doing that much work would be pointless. ;)

Valy,
Thanks for the polish how to. Here is a progress report on my 2 inch (schedule 40) aluminum pipe. Will be a mailbox post.

Clean pipe with oven cleaner. Left it on for about 30 minutes. That was a bit too long. Clean oven cleaner off with a rag and water. Oven cleaner made dark spots on aluminum. Clean dark spots off with green scrubber and water.
Scouring-Pad-2U643_AS01.JPG

Using this palm sander because it's what I have.
D26451_1.jpg

Palm Sander with 100 grit
Palm Sander with 150 grit
Palm Sander with 220 grit
Hand sand with 220 grit
Now the scratches go same direction as pipe.
Hand sand with Wet or Dry sand paper 320 grit
Hand sand with Wet or Dry sand paper 400 grit
Hand sand with Wet or Dry sand paper 600 grit
Hand sand with Wet or Dry sand paper 1000 grit
Hand sand with Wet or Dry sand paper 1200 grit
Hand sand with Wet or Dry sand paper 1500 grit
Hand sand with Wet or Dry sand paper 2000 grit
Note that ya got dunk the Wet or Dry sand paper in water so becomes Wet sand paper.
Aluminum is looking pretty smooth but not shiny. Tomorrow I will experiment with polish buffing bars. I ordered all this:

4786A1 BUFFING BAR, TRIPOLI CUTTING, BROWN, 8"L X 3"W X 2"H BAR

4787A1 BUFFING BAR, WHITE ROUGE COLORING, OFF WHITE, 8"LX3"WX2"H BAR

4832A11 AGGRESSIVE-POLISHING COTTON BUFFS, MEDIUM DENSITY, 6" DIA X 1/2" THICK X 1/2" ARBOR

4818A11 SEWN MIRROR-FINISH FLANNEL BUFF, 4" DIAMETER, 1/2" ARBOR

Buffing bars are made by Kocour http://www.kocour.net/
I got a buffing wheel arbor with a 1/4 inch shaft. Will check the RPM of all my electric and pneumatic, drills and die grinders. See chart here http://www.kocour.net/downloads/BuffingCompounds_Wheels.pdf
Look at suggested RPM for different diameter buffing wheels.

After buffing is done and aluminum is looking super shiny, how should I protect it from the weather so it don't start looking like a old lawn chair? Mail box post will be outside till the end of time or till some drunk idiot drives into it.

1. Powdercoat clear
2. clear layer of epoxy paint meant for boat woodwork (has UV inhibitors)
3. automotive clear coat (paint with no colour in it)
4. polyurethane (wood finish)

In order of durability, ease of access and cost, and fancy-ness.

This is just what I've tried, and #4 really wasn't great, use spar varnish to reduce aging of poly layer due to UV.
I'm not actually certain that they can powdercoat clear, but I think they can.

Good luck.

Oh, for the work you are putting into it, why not use a stainless pipe? Might be a few more bucks, but it will hold the gloss much, much longer, and most of the pain is the hours of work this will take you.

Katou

Back