TOOLS FOR BIKE BUILDERS

marty said:
After buffing is done and aluminum is looking super shiny, how should I protect it from the weather so it don't start looking like a old lawn chair? Mail box post will be outside till the end of time or till some drunk idiot drives into it.

You can't coat polished ali with a clear laquer, well you can, but not advisable 1) it don't stick good and 2) it dulls the finsh some...
i have heard good reports about Metla Gloss
But in my personal experience, aluminum requires constant up keep if you wish it to remain mirror finsih for a mail box pole,
i would go wih s chrome plated steel pole, would only cost 25-30 bucks to have chromed, less if you do the sanding and polishing
of the steel before dropping it at the metal platers, majority of the price for chrome plating is the time put into
preparing the surface has to be like the parts Valy showed before its plated... Polish a steel pipe
you will prolly be very surprised how it comes up, looks just like chrome.

Nice work as always Valy, that next frame looks like its going to b heavy duty judging by the tube size and that mofo wheel
sitting next to the mocked up frame..

KiM

i use mothers chrome and aluminum pollish. clearcoat on pollished aluminum sucks,after time and the elements you end up with discoloration,peeling,and oxidation under it. i own a three year old victory ice bike that is stored in the garage and the clearcoat on the trees and lower legs already looks like hell. i'll be tearing it down for a strip and pollish.the more you rub aluminum, the prettier it gets.

hello guys
thank you for help
all of you guys have right, aluminium pollish suck, the weather special rain distroy the shine in days
for a mail box pole it is beter steinless stell { my opinion to.} more stronger to impact :D and weather
but exist a option with a clear lack for the car wheels. I dont know the name or where you can douit :?:
kim about next project will come a new topic soon :shock: after I will stop changing the plans every day :D the ideeas came with every pice I put on this project :idea:

hello guys
I want to show you what I work now for my new frame
IMG_3337.jpg

IMG_3336.jpg

IMG_3335.jpg

IMG_3334.jpg

IMG_3331.jpg

IMG_3338.jpg

IMG_3339.jpg

IMG_3340.jpg

IMG_3341.jpg

IMG_3343.jpg

IMG_3345.jpg

IMG_3346.jpg

IMG_3347.jpg

IMG_3348.jpg

IMG_3365.jpg

IMG_3366.jpg

IMG_3367.jpg

IMG_3368.jpg

IMG_3371.jpg

IMG_3372.jpg

IMG_3373.jpg

for this two I work 2 full days 20h and I need 8 pices :oops:

hello guys
5h to sandbrush the pipe for the frame :oops:
IMG_3369.jpg

IMG_3369.jpg

IMG_3379.jpg

IMG_3380.jpg

very mutch work with this project :)

Valy, that looks like a Drill Press?

Is it a Milling Machine?

I have not tried milling on my drill press, I guess the drill press is surviving okay? I was told that milling on my drill press would damage the bearings.

Very interested.

Katou.

hello Katou mine it is a drilling milling mashine you can see pictures in first pages
you can use your drill machine if it is big enough[motor] and you have to have a special :arrow: :?:

katou said:
I have not tried milling on my drill press, I guess the drill press is surviving okay? I was told that milling on my drill press would damage the bearings.

Katou.

micro mini and small mills all look to be exact same as a small drill press with the addition to the x-y axis table
I have looked at many small mills to buy and they are all the same, I guess they don't have the power to take big cuts
and thus stand up to the sideways forces...? Here is a local shop to me i have been to many times in the past
they have a nice range of mills

http://www.carbatec.com.au/milling-machines-tables_c2400

All resemble a drill press in the bearing department.

Valy.. One question, with a drill press there isn't a way of locking the spindle in place, how do you stop it from going
up when you start milling...? Does yours have some form of locking mechanism on it...?

KiM

hello Kim yes mine milling machine have but you can build one
it is only one scruw in the one side to stop the axel to go up I
will put some picture later :) every machine can be update :)
kindly Valy

AussieJester said:
http://www.carbatec.com.au/milling-mach ... bles_c2400
For a bench top mill this is the Sieg milling machine to get:
http://www.carbatec.com.au/small-milling-machine_c2410
or in the US:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mill-Drill/G0463
View attachment X3G0463.JPGIt's called the X3, or SX3 in a slightly different configuration, and it's a "small mill" rather than the X2 "mini mill". I think the X2 is too small for bicycle work.
The X3 has a dovetailed column which is stiffer than round column machines. I think the X3 is unique for it's size.
More info:
A kind of funky review of the X3
http://www.mini-lathe.com/x3_mill/X3rvw/X3.htm
A fabulous set up guide for the X3
http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/projects/prepguides/X3 Mill Preparation Guide.pdf
http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Machines-Accessories/Milling-Machines/Model-X3-Small-Mill
and in the UK one can get a larger table for the SX3:
http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Machines-Accessories/Milling-Machines/Model-Super-X3-Mill

Sieg has been working with it's customers for years and these mills are accurate to a .001" and are well made.
I like mine very much!

Checkout the price differrence on that fist one, its over two grand in OZ and lil over 1k in USofA be cheaper to buy it pay the freight and get it from US than locally, ridiculous the price of some things here it really is...Nice mill either way but not for 2k IMHO...

KiM

hello guys
I promis to Kim I will show some picture with my drilling miling machine with stop scruw :)
IMG_3385.jpg

IMG_3386.jpg

IMG_3387.jpg

IMG_3389.jpg

IMG_3390.jpg

IMG_3391.jpg

IMG_3392.jpg

IMG_3393.jpg

for my miling machine I paid 4000 sw kronor

Thanks Valy...I am up for a new bench press and i have been eyeing off one at Toolmart (local store here) for ~$365...shitload
better than the $98 piece of crap i use now, i was thinking i would also get a x-y axis table for it...work out mega cheaper than buying the largest milling machine Carbetec have here and
would do for the ghetto stuff i do in alumnium... Shall make sure the press has a stop like yours or similar...thanks again Valy...

KiM

hi Kim
you can work even in metal but have to mill by milimeter at a time and to buy finger frass with 3 cuts
it is for industrial and cut perfect mutch better then
finger frass with 2 or 4 cuts
the finger frass with 2 cuts it is for debit
and with 4 cuts is for out side [exterior]milling
exempel if you have to do drops off axel chanel best it is to have 3 cant frass
and the speed it is very important exempel for metal you must to have low rotation to dont burn the finger frass
and VERY VERY important to have water cooling
if you dont use water cooling your cuter will die very fast and they are not cheap :(
NEVER use a normal drill for milling if you dont whant to have a pice of metal inside your face or aye
if you are interested I can put some picture for you to understund better :oops: my english suck
read the manual for milling machine before start to mill :) if you have any question :?: I m here :D kindly Valy

hello guys
today I have to build a special tool to cut my drops off
if you dont have a lathe [like me] you can use this if you have a a press drill :D :D
IMG_3529.jpg

IMG_3530.jpg

IMG_3531.jpg

IMG_3532.jpg

IMG_3533.jpg

IMG_3534.jpg

and you can use lathe cutters
IMG_3535.jpg

IMG_3536.jpg

IMG_3537.jpg

IMG_3538.jpg

you can use difrent ungle to cut one or 2 cutters
IMG_3539.jpg

AussieJester said:
marty said:
After buffing is done and aluminum is looking super shiny, how should I protect it from the weather so it don't start looking like a old lawn chair? Mail box post will be outside till the end of time or till some drunk idiot drives into it.

You can't coat polished ali with a clear laquer, well you can, but not advisable 1) it don't stick good and 2) it dulls the finsh some...
i have heard good reports about Metla Gloss
But in my personal experience, aluminum requires constant up keep if you wish it to remain mirror finsih for a mail box pole,
i would go wih s chrome plated steel pole, would only cost 25-30 bucks to have chromed, less if you do the sanding and polishing
of the steel before dropping it at the metal platers, majority of the price for chrome plating is the time put into
preparing the surface has to be like the parts Valy showed before its plated... Polish a steel pipe
you will prolly be very surprised how it comes up, looks just like chrome.

Nice work as always Valy, that next frame looks like its going to b heavy duty judging by the tube size and that mofo wheel
sitting next to the mocked up frame..

KiM

Kim;
A friend of mine did a set of al wheels for his daughters bugcar. I find the stuff is famous downunder;

http://www.nyalic.com.au/nyalic.com.au/Home.html

If Valy says that cutter works, I do not doubt him, his results speak for themselves. I am quite surprised though.

The shaft attached to the tool holder is 3/8 (10mm) threaded rod? That means solid steel is only 5/16 (8-9mm) ?

I would have thought that was too small. I have a small fly cutter that I plan on using for aluminum with my drill press to cut bearing seats.

That one only swings about 1-1/2" or 37mm and it has a solid 1/2" or 12mm shaft. I haven't tried it yet, too busy screwing with reclaiming batteries.

Katou

hello guys
I will show you how work my fly cutter :D
IMG_3607.jpg

IMG_3608.jpg

IMG_3610.jpg

IMG_3611.jpg

IMG_3612.jpg

IMG_3615.jpg

and here after milling and polish this is my drops off :)
IMG_3620.jpg

IMG_3621.jpg

IMG_3623.jpg

IMG_3627.jpg

it is more fast with LATHE but if you dont have :?: :?: I use what I have and it is work :D

What are those spiky things? I wanted to know.

You are using them to join the pipes on your bike? Why?

I like how your fly cutter can do two cutters!

Excellent!

Katou

hello guys
this spiky thinks they are air coller for turbo truks they are inside of turbo box
and I use them because they have a cool design and the frame will be difrent . :)
I try in my custom bikes to build somethink difrent then others.

hello guys
this is my new drill press
IMG_3582.jpg

IMG_3584.jpg

IMG_3588.jpg

I use for polish pipes :idea: good one :wink:

IMG_3650.jpg

IMG_3655.jpg

Back