Torque-Sensor Motor w/ Sine-Wave Controller Build

crossbreak said:
Another link to the "hidden setup" manual. Just can be found at ecitypower/bmsbattery website, even downloaded and saved it before.. and forgot it xD can't say why they just not make a single document... i'll write a manual in speech that can be understood next week, when I found all those setting and their meaning. Will also post a table with the pole counts of the different motors (Crystallite, Bafang etc.) top make this complete https://www.bmsbattery.com/attachment.php?id_attachment=52

Does anyone have this manual / translation in speech that can be understood regarding the programing of the torque sine-wave controllers from BMSBattery? And a table with the pole counts of the different motors?
It would be most welcome - Im really lost trying to understand any of this... :roll:

I have the minshine torque e bike kit, 270rpm 36v. This kit does 34km/h .How can i remove the speed limit?
Must i use an other controller, or can i change the controller settings with the lcd display.
On display i change the speed, 40km/h, but this kit gives me only 34km/h.

Thanks,
Adrie

Adried said:
I have the minshine torque e bike kit, 270rpm 36v. This kit does 34km/h .How can i remove the speed limit?
Must i use an other controller, or can i change the controller settings with the lcd display.
On display i change the speed, 40km/h, but this kit gives me only 34km/h.

Thanks,
Adrie

Adrie, a 270rpm motor in a 26" wheel equates to 34km/h. To achieve higher speed you will need to power the motor with a higher voltage battery. Your controller may or may not handle a higher voltage. Which controller do you have?

Top speed with my Minshine torque kit is 29km/h. Consider yourself lucky. :)

Hello whatcomrider, i have test this kit with 42v and 50v with the same result 34km/h.
I can't see the max amp on my controller ,it is build in frame. I think the controller is 12 or 15 amp sinewave 36v.
I think i need an other controller to get more speed .

Adrie, while using a higher voltage battery you could try changing the P1 setting in advanced settings from 87 (the factory setting) to 74 (= 87 * 34 / 40). I have no idea if this would work, but I have a hunch that the P1 setting is used in the motor control algorithm to set a hard limit on motor rpm. If you lower the setting then a higher rpm may be attainable. It is possible that changing it could adversely affect motor operation so caution is advised.

Advanced settings are accessed just after the general settings by pressing the top and bottom buttons simultaneously again for a couple of seconds.

Hello WhatcomRider, i test a few p1 settings, but it did not change the speed. I think i need an other controller to get 40km/h.

Thank you

Adrie

Good evening to all
someone please tell me what are the 2 gray wires coming out of the controller s12s?
Thanks in advance.
Cesare - Elba Island

SolarRay said:
What is the thickness of the lamination steel?
0.5mm or 0.35mm?
Hi SolarRay, I took my burned out XOFO torque-sensor motor apart today and can confirm that the laminations are 0.5mm thick.

WhatcomRider said:
laminations are 0.5mm thick.
Thanks for the info.
---
Yet I wonder how many watts consumes not loaded motor? It is desirable at high speeds.
V + A + rpm (or km/h + wheel diameter).

WhatcomRider said:
SolarRay said:
What is the thickness of the lamination steel?
0.5mm or 0.35mm?
Hi SolarRay, I took my burned out XOFO torque-sensor motor apart today and can confirm that the laminations are 0.5mm thick.
Is that good or bad?

TheBeastie said:
good or bad?
For hubmotor does not really matter.
For mid drive it is not very good. Because most likely loss in iron of motor speed more 1500rpm (before the gear) become too great.

Thanks for posting this picture.

Quick question (sorry if this is too simple for this forum):

How do I connect these wires? Do I connect the LED wires with the motor hall sensor wires and the same color wires coming from the controller?

I snipped off the connectors, so I'm trying to get this sorted out...

They go to the controller.
next time, do one connector at a time.

Asking again here:

Did somebody using a S-LCD3 or S-LCD5 possibly observe the new serial data protocol sent out by those newer displays, which provide the new "C-Parameters" ? Or does sb have info about that?

If sb wants to try: Most probably the protocol sent out by the S-LCD3/5 is also just a periodic repetition of a simple data string containing all settings, using 5VTTL, 9600/8-n-1 baud, simple XOR checksum - but should be somewhat longer than just 7 bytes.
One data log on the yellow wire vs black/GND - and possibly logs with a variation of settings like C12 (LVC level), C2, and C13, which interest me most - would probably already clarify things.

(I don't have a S-LCD3/5 with new protocol so far. Just want to change a few C-Settings in the controller, which understands the new prot.)

WhatcomRider said:
The sine-wave controller is rated at 10-20 amps and is running in sensored mode. It is able to hold a steady speed as low as 3 rpm and smoothly ramps up to no-load speed. It is interesting that there is an audible change at around 130 rpm where it seems that the commutation shifts into a different mode.
Thanks for sharing this information and the oscilloscope details.

Do you know why that audible change at a specific speed? -- I am driving a motor with my firmware (OpenSource)* and I am having the same issue. I am using SVM on a table and a simplified FOC. The motor runs well but there is always a specific medium speed where it makes a noise, vibration and ask a lot more current. I already tested on another different motor (different number of coils) with the same result.

* http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/1109-firmware/?page=41#comment-87572

casainho said:
WhatcomRider said:
The sine-wave controller is rated at 10-20 amps and is running in sensored mode. It is able to hold a steady speed as low as 3 rpm and smoothly ramps up to no-load speed. It is interesting that there is an audible change at around 130 rpm where it seems that the commutation shifts into a different mode.
Thanks for sharing this information and the oscilloscope details.

Do you know why that audible change at a specific speed? -- I am driving a motor with my firmware (OpenSource)* and I am having the same issue. I am using SVM on a table and a simplified FOC. The motor runs well but there is always a specific medium speed where it makes a noise, vibration and ask a lot more current. I already tested on another different motor (different number of coils) with the same result.

* http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/1109-firmware/?page=41#comment-87572
Congratulations on writing your own FOC firmware. I know just enough about the algorithm to know that it can be a daunting task to get it to work correctly. The audible change in my controller was due to a different waveform being fed to the motor, but I do not know enough about the internal workings of the controller to know why the waveform changed.

Concerning your controller do you see a change in the phase-to-phase voltage signal when the noise occurs? Have you tried running in torque control mode as opposed to speed control mode? If the noise does not occur with torque control then there is most likely a problem with the speed control loop.

I implemented a modified FOC following Shane Colton documentation. Also having VESC as reference.

I found on a cheap controller, that does not do FOC, that it controls the motor also in 2 ways - one at low/medium speeds and then changes to 6 steps commutation at high speeds.
Please read here my explanation including oscilloscope screenshots: https://github.com/EGG-electric-unicycle/documentation/wiki/Controllers

Thanks!

I started the OpenSource firmware for BMSBattery S series motor controllers / Kunteng controllers and the motor runs well, better than the original firmware.

I found the issue, my Q85 motor, the hall sensors signals don't happen at every 60 degrees!! My first firmware version was consedering the 60 degrees and had the same issue as original firmware (higher load current, a bit noisy and power supply voltage increase!!) but after I decided to use only the hall sensor signal every 360 degrees and motor works very well, as expected!!

Please get here the firmware sources: https://opensourceebikefirmware.bitbucket.io/

Back