Transporting heavy ebikes - show me your solution

Chalo said:
So many words spent talking about transporting vehicles that do a fine job of transporting themselves!

How do y'all transport your cars and trucks?

There's a net benefit. With a car, you take a day trip and drive to your destination, maybe Lake Tahoe, so 200 miles. After you get there, you drive to all of the places around there, exploring the town, grabbing some coffee or breakfast, checking out the scenery, and then after that, you drive home. By transporting the ebike, that drive to all of the other places around there part can be on the ebike. Plus it only takes 3 hours to drive, instead of 2 or 3 days, assuming you need to stop to charge and recharge along the way.

E-HP said:
Chalo said:
So many words spent talking about transporting vehicles that do a fine job of transporting themselves!

There's a net benefit. With a car, you take a day trip and drive to your destination, maybe Lake Tahoe, so 200 miles. After you get there, you drive to all of the places around there, exploring the town, grabbing some coffee or breakfast, checking out the scenery, and then after that, you drive home.

I get it. But what do you use to carry your car when you need to go faster and farther than you car will carry you?

av-week-1970-01-12-L-500-b.jpg

Most of the requests I get at the bike shop about racks to carry bikes come from folks who want to drive their bikes to go ride. It makes me think, "you can start at your front door, you know". That's what Million-Mile Freddie does.

Chalo said:
I get it. But what do you use to carry your car when you need to go faster and farther than you car will carry you?

That's why there's a car rental business, so you don't need to take your car, and it's cheaper too. You could rent an ebike too when travelling, but I'd rather ride my own. I think I've transported my bike 3 times, standing up in the truck bed with 4 tie downs keeping it upright and secured. I still have rust from our stay along the coast earlier this year, but it was worth it to have my bike there for the week.

ZeroEm said:
Went bike riding with a group, afterward they wanted to go grab a bite to eat. They all had cars did not bring my car did not know it was needed.
All my rides start and end at home. But, if home is temporarily somewhere else, then I'm taking my bike if possible. I figured that out on the last trip, since I was kicking myself for not bringing it on earlier trips. All new places to explore, and zero boredom the whole time.

Chalo said:

I transport my truck using another BIGGER truck, here the Ford is giving some love to my Chevy ;)

Attachments

• ford_chevy_support.jpg
    ford_chevy_support.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 199
When ever meeting up with a group, use my trike to get there, mostly throttle, can ride at 30mph for around 50 miles. Then do the ride with them pedaling +Pas from start to finish. Then throttle home if tired. Might ride 5-10 miles to meet up. Have a leaf so not really wanting to put a hitch on it. It would carry a bike but my tike is large but only 70lbs.

Chalo,
I live in a small town with sidewalks and narrow streets, very busy at certain hours and dead on most. Most drivers in my small town do not obey any kind of street signs or have any driving etiquette.

I would love to ride my bike around my neighborhood but having neighbors who have selective vision raises my anxiety level.
To understand the setting I present to you my truck which is street parked and have been hit many times.

1 female driver hit my truck twice in the same year (truck was parked both times) and the 2nd time she blamed my truck being too flinkin big.

I plan on riding trails 130 miles away from my house where I go camping every year.

Attachments

• truck_street_1.jpg
    truck_street_1.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 192
ZeroEm said:
When ever meeting up with a group, use my trike to get there, mostly throttle, can ride at 30mph for around 50 miles. Then do the ride with them pedaling +Pas from start to finish. Then throttle home if tired. Might ride 5-10 miles to meet up. Have a leaf so not really wanting to put a hitch on it. It would carry a bike but my tike is large but only 70lbs.

I do the opposite. I use PAS to get to, and sometimes from, the trail head; and so I can use more throttle during while on the trail. I still pedal on the trail, but don't trust PAS enough to not throw me off a cliff if it engages unexpectedly. Lately I'm using more throttle, leisurely, riding home, since I'm getting old and lazy.

I see three recumbent trikes regularly on the path I ride on. One is powered. When I saw the powered one, my mind starting thinking how it might feel to ride one; sort of low to the ground and similar position as an Formula 1 car.
Design-DrivingPosition-Content3.jpg

Then I pictured building one and seeing myself riding down the path at 50 MPH. I'm not sure that would end well. I've been able to suppress the urge to far. Just curious, how does it handle on curves or windy roads?

To stay in line with the thread. Wanting to build a trailer for a bike/trike to carry another bike/trike. This is far off and not sure it would be useful.

by E-HP » Dec 27 2022 4:22pm

ZeroEm wrote: ↑Dec 27 2022 3:58pm
I do the opposite. I use PAS to get to, and sometimes from, the trail head; and so I can use more throttle during while on the trail. I still pedal on the trail, but don't trust PAS enough to not throw me off a cliff if it engages unexpectedly. Lately I'm using more throttle, leisurely, riding home, since I'm getting old and lazy.

I see three recumbent trikes regularly on the path I ride on. One is powered. When I saw the powered one, my mind starting thinking how it might feel to ride one; sort of low to the ground and similar position as an Formula 1 car.
Image above
Then I pictured building one and seeing myself riding down the path at 50 MPH. I'm not sure that would end well. I've been able to suppress the urge to far. Just curious, how does it handle on curves or windy roads?

Riding a trike fast is thrilling to say the least. Tires on my trike are not good for fast corners, narrow and high pressure will slip/slide but trike will not turn over. Top speed is limited to just over 30 mph but get's there fast.

My trike is like your picture but feet a little higher, try to keep my feet below my heart for blood flow. When looking down the road see just above my feet with CA between them. Being 4" off the ground you really feel the road moving past but don't touch with hands.

Trikes are not all the same so different experiences. From race trikes your close flat on your back to sitting up right. Steering from direct (touchy) to linkage (more user friendly).

Just came across this thread - can I ask has anyone found any other solutions since it was started last year? I've used a cheap, heavy steel motocross carrier for my Yuba Mundo for about 6 years now. It is not an elegant solution but it accommodates both the weight and long wheelbase. I strap it down using two ratchet straps and it works OK but is pretty awkward every step of the way.

I have recently found Hollywood Racks - they sell a heavy duty 2 bike carrier rated for 2x 80lbs, wondering if anyone has looked at that?

Went bike riding with a group, afterward they wanted to go grab a bite to eat. They all had cars did not bring my car did not know it was needed.
Hmmmm there is a word for that, where they brought their bike with the car.

Back