Tsdz2 firmware open source adapted to vlcd5, vlcd6 and xh18

Are you saying you just plugged it in to see if it would work right out of the box? Did the SW102 come pre-flashed with OSF? What version? Pretty sure you should be using the OSF SW102 version for both the motor controller and display. And they need to be the same version... i.e. not version 1.x on the display and 20.x on the motor controller. If you have a mismatch it would throw an error. So try flashing both to the same version of SW102 OSF if you haven't already done that.

theflyingjaguar said:
Anyone ? Should I send it back for warranty ?

speedstermcgee said:
Hello, I purchased an SW102 from Electrify Bike that is said to work with TSDZ2. My understanding is that other people have gotten this firmware to work with it out of the box.

My question is, which fork should I use for this, the VLCD5, VLCD6, XH18 version? Or the 850C, 860C, SW102 version?

If the former, which display do I select in the Java Configurator? My attempts so far have all resulted in error 30 on the display after ~30 seconds.

Wondering if it is also possible that this display is not set up with the TSDZ2 specific communication protocol, or if it could just be busted / DOA. I know on other displays, error 30 is sometimes a permanent communication error. I am considering purchasing a SW102 from Eco Cycles that also claims to use TSDZ2 specific protocol

If anyone has any insight they could share on this, I would appreciate the help.

theflyingjaguar said:
Anyone ? Should I send it back for warranty ?...
:confused:
Why have you bumped your very first post without any update what you have done after the feedback you got?
You had contact with the seller to return it .
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1667940#p1668048

if that is not possible you have to break&flash it, sell it or throw it away.
I think more feedback isn't possible.

raylo32 said:
Are you saying you just plugged it in to see if it would work right out of the box? Did the SW102 come pre-flashed with OSF? What version? Pretty sure you should be using the OSF SW102 version for both the motor controller and display. And they need to be the same version... i.e. not version 1.x on the display and 20.x on the motor controller. If you have a mismatch it would throw an error. So try flashing both to the same version of SW102 OSF if you haven't already done that.

Elinx said:
:confused:
Why have you bumped your very first post without any update what you have done after the feedback you got?
You had contact with the seller to return it .
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1667940#p1668048

if that is not possible you have to break&flash it, sell it or throw it away.
I think more feedback isn't possible.

I'm confused, I have bumped the wrong post that isn't even mine. :roll: :confused:
Sorry for that. I wanted to ask about that one :
theflyingjaguar said:
Hello all,
I installed the emmebrusa firmware yesterday on my 48v 500w motor.
I only tested it on few kilometres and it went fine.

Today, went one a bikepaking trip for 15 days. After few kilometers (~15km), during a break, the motor shut down and I was unable to turn it on. I switched off and on the battery and was able to restart the motor.
It happened again 4/5 times. At some point, it briefly showed an E04 error code but it disappeared.
A bit later, while I was riding, the motor shut down and I'm now completetly unable to turn it on, even after long time and unpluggin the battery.

I don't have laptop nor st-link with me so I'm unable to flash the motor.

Is there anything I could do ?

Thanks a lot

Please not that I'm know back from my trip and can try flashing stuff on the motor, but I'm a bit afraid to mess with it even more..

If it's not working you can't do any more harm flashing it. I gots to know... How did you get through a week of bikepacking with a non-functioning motor? If you can ride a dead e-bike packing gear for a week maybe you don't need a motor!

theflyingjaguar said:
Please not that I'm know back from my trip and can try flashing stuff on the motor, but I'm a bit afraid to mess with it even more..

raylo32 said:
I gots to know... How did you get through a week of bikepacking with a non-functioning motor? If you can ride a dead e-bike packing gear for a week maybe you don't need a motor!

We've reduced the daily distance, and I had to push the bike for some of the slopes

Oof... good job! Hope you get the motor sorted.

theflyingjaguar said:
raylo32 said:
I gots to know... How did you get through a week of bikepacking with a non-functioning motor? If you can ride a dead e-bike packing gear for a week maybe you don't need a motor!

We've reduced the daily distance, and I had to push the bike for some of the slopes

Have you opened up the motor and looked at the controller for burning and such?

theflyingjaguar said:
raylo32 said:

raylo32 said:
Have you opened up the motor and looked at the controller for burning and such?

Not yet.. I think i'll try to flash the controller first (to see if it even responds). the problem if I open up the motor is that i'll void the warranty sticker.. Maybe I should just return it ? Still considering the question.
Could it be a fuse ?

Just a query about the wireless controllers.
Will they work with the VCDL5 branch of the software or only the versions for other displays

thanks

Hi
i have a problem when compiling & flash
i m using v20.1C.1

i m getting that error , can anybody help please?
regards

Attachments

• 1111.jpg
    1111.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 1,709
ozumozge said:
.... error , can anybody help please?
For flashing from Java configurator, you must be sure that STVP and SDCC are installed in the root of C:

Mostly it will automaticly installed iside "program files" and that doesn't work.

Also you may not run the Windows gui of STVP. Everything must be done by the Java gui.

Hi everyone I'm new and I greet everyone to tell the truth I have been following you for a few years.Problem with the open source Firmware version v20.1C.3 just put after 15 kilometers mosfet burned now I solved with a new control unit that firmware recommended. version mb.20beta1B. everything was fine except that when the engine ran out of battery you could not pedal because it caused a strong friction even when the bike was off and you brought it back there was a friction but with the open source firmware version v20.1C .3 everything was gone and it was fine but at 15 kilometers mosfet jumped.

Attachments

• IMG20210901234758.jpg
    IMG20210901234758.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 1,661
Hi, I’m new to this forum, but wanted to join the post as I am now having my first go at programming my TSDZ2. I started with a 36v motor and battery, then built a second bike with a 48v motor with 17.5Ah battery. I love them both and have covered 900m over the last 5 months, but have been following these posts for a while. I decided to give it a go and in the last week I’ve built an ST link lead with a usb from the PiHut and a speed sensor extension. I’ve followed all the instructions for downloading the compilers, Java interface and GitHub repositories. Today I have successfully worked through flashing various options from the download - torque based, power based, cadence based, emtb and hybrid. It’s proven to be much more straight forward than I imagined thanks to all the online advice. The results are very impressive and extremely interesting, comparing the feel of each mode. Over this weekend I will work on refining my favourite - the hybrid mode - and doing some longer runs. Can’t wait! It’s amazing this is possible with no hardware changes, just enjoying the benefit of all those clever and dedicated people who put time into this. Thanks!

20 mile run today on hybrid mode, default settings but turned up a little on power and torque max setting. Low speed torque smooth and responsive, then power mode kicks in at higher speed. Huge step up from the std software which plateaus at higher road speeds. Motor runs quieter too. A couple of things to iron out:
- after a couple of minutes, there appears to be a glitch whereby motor make a graunching sound and becomes unresponsive for a few seconds. Did this twice early on, then no further issues
- SOC when full shows 62.4 not 99.9. Equates to mph v kph conversion.
- display parameters doesn’t seem to stack up. Pedal cadence states 7, but 2 seems to be the actual setting
- trying to display power is hit and miss
These are minor niggles and for info. The improvement over stock settings is fab, well worth the effort of programming, really enjoying messing with settings to see changes.

ajwilliams10 said:
Sorry to read about these inconveniences, I have been using v20.1C.3-NEW on two bikes with XH18 display and 36V motor for more than a month and have considered it safe.
Maybe there are problems with 48V motors?
@ ajwilliams10, @feketehegyi, can you tell which motor it happened with, 36V or 48V?
As a precaution I recommend using v20.1C.1 with stock displays.
Mine is a 36V motor with VLCD5 display, controller pcb dated late 2014.
I've cut out the offending MOSFETs, reprogrammed the controller with the stock firmware from eco-bike.com and successfully powered the system back up. Will also try the the v20.1C.1 and see how that goes. As soon as replacement MOSFETs arrive from China (only $5 but 25 days delivery to NZ, gah!) I'm hoping that we'll be as good as new.

Finally I have received the new MOSFETs from China, installed them, and very pleased to report that using v20.1C.1 all is working well at the moment.

I mount engine and 48v battery now new control unit also 48v as a precaution before I burn everything again I put the firmware version mb.20beta1B back.What do you recommend

Gra82ct said:
I mount engine and 48v battery now new control unit also 48v as a precaution before I burn everything again I put the firmware version mb.20beta1B back.What do you recommend
All controllers (36V and 48V) are the same and capable to handle 63V.

The Voltage isn't responsable for burning mosfets, but an uncontrolled (high) current.
Why this mostly happens with 48V versions is still unknown.

For some reason the 48V versions are more unpredictable for the latest OSF versions.
v.0.20.1B is proven to be safe for 48V Tsdz2.
With that version there were never been complains about burning mosfets.

theflyingjaguar said:
Hello all,
I installed the emmebrusa firmware yesterday on my 48v 500w motor (with VLCD5)
I only tested it on few kilometres and it went fine.

Today, went one a bikepaking trip for 15 days. After few kilometers (~15km), during a break, the motor shut down and I was unable to turn it on. I switched off and on the battery and was able to restart the motor.
It happened again 4/5 times. At some point, it briefly showed an E04 error code but it disappeared.
A bit later, while I was riding, the motor shut down and I'm now completetly unable to turn it on, even after long time and unpluggin the battery.

I don't have laptop nor st-link with me so I'm unable to flash the motor.

Is there anything I could do ?

Thanks a lot

Updating on this issue I had : I find out that the battery voltage was 0v so I openned it and saw the fuse was blown. I've also seen that I have been using v20.1C.3-NEW and others have had issues with 48v motors.
Could this have caused the battery fuse to blow ?

In my opinion and what happened to me in addition to the fuse and the mosfet of the control unit in the input of the current jumped.Thanks Elinx in fact I put back the v.0.20.1B I am very well Brusa's excellent work congratulations

Hi

I saw this project and looks good for a number of reasons.

I have a Bafang BBS01B on my mountain bike and I don't really like because of the cadence sensing and so decided to buy a 48v tsdz2 for the torque with a VLCD5. I reuse my old 36v battery with the 48v motor using the firmware and plan to get a 52v battery in the future.

I'm a professional Java programmer and really like the idea of the open source Java app to control the flashing and the wireless mod. I plan to next do the wireless mod and have bought the parts and already got a 3d printed the housing.

To start I fitted the tsdz2 motor to my bike with the 36v battery and VLCD5 and now want to flash the motor so i can ride it as out of the box a 48v motor wont work with a 36v battery. It turns on and you can use pedal assist to go really slow and it shows one battery bar but the battery is full. The motor does not do anything when you pedal. I hope the open source firmware will fix this problem.

I use this firmware that has the Java app because I see it mentioned VLCD5 support in its operating manuals and this github project has been updated from 2 months ago:
https://github.com/emmebrusa/TSDZ2-Smart-EBike-1

I followed the instructions here: https://github.com/emmebrusa/TSDZ2-Smart-EBike-1/wiki
So downloaded and setup the three software projects in root folder on C: for the root for STMicroelectronics and SDCC and github project all looks good setup. I checked the %PATH% and SDCC is there.

Ran the java app from cmd so i know the %PATH% with java -jar JavaConfigurator.jar

Wired up the cable from the STLink-V2 clone by removing the plastic square pegs so its just the metal pin housing and fit them into the speed sensor. On my STLink-V2 the printing on the USB stick has different layout to the instructions on the site. So i wired it up to the pins on the USB that have the same name.

When I press the compile and flash button all i get is this error message in a dos box after pressing a key to continue which is the same as i get when the cables are not connected (I tested to see what the button would do after i installed the software out of curiosity.)

v20.1C.3-NEW is temporarily suspended, use v20.1C.1
Press any key to continue . . .
The system cannot find the batch label specified - EXIT

C:\TSDZ2-Smart-EBike-1-master>

I don't know if the cables are not connecting or the software is not setup properly. The error message is not very clear what the problem is. Maybe i should look at some other older flashing software which can be used to see if the link is active.

I read though many forum postings and i am happy to see that many have been able to flash their motor so i wonder what it is that i am doing/not doing that is stopping the motor from being flashed.

Thanks for your help.

It is telling you to use the v20.1C.1 Release instead of the .3-NEW release. There have been reports of damaged controllers using v20.1C.3-NEW with stock displays.

Carlo772 said:
.....To start I fitted the tsdz2 motor to my bike with the 36v battery and VLCD5....

If I understand well you want to run your 48V tsdz2 with 36V battery for a while.
Indeed this is possible with OSF but not adviced.

With v0.20b1 you will see that the max. cadence will be lower. And if you use more power the current need to be higher for that, meaning more heat dissipation. Better it is to use overvoltage for less heat like 52V, which you want to do a later time.

With v.0.20c1 the cadence will be better because of the fieldweakening, but the price is also again more heat and more battery consumption, because fieldweakening isn't very effective for that use.

v.020c3-new is suspended because some 48V tsdz2 controllers are burned out by a shorted FET, due to an unknown error that only occurs with the stock version of 0,20.C3 new.
I think to prevent flashing it, mbrusa has edited the code of the script file with a message to let you know that.

FYI:
The tsdz2 has a very bad heat management. So that is why it is better to improve the heat dissipation of it by adding conductive material between bare motor and motorcase.

For a higher Voltage with a 36V battery, you better can use a DC-DC booster 1200W-20A, which will be more effective if you set it up for 48V output. It is a cheap and easy solution for a while. Only disadvantage is, you can't see discharging of the battery on display.
Here you find some expreriences with such a DC-DC booster and Beemac combined it with a Tsdz2
Fit the board inside a lemonade can with silicone and place it in a (tiewrapped) bottleholder.

Back