Upgrading Magnets in Hub Motors

Wow!! you guys work for NASA or what ? 😀 some of this magnet stuff is way over my head, but here is my situation, due to hall issues, I opened my 48v 1kw hub motor (Voilamart), which is only a year old and I found a rusted mess inside the hub, magnets unglued and stuck to the stator.

The one big lesson learnt for me is properly handling these strong magnets. When I removed them from the stator, they flew to one another and I ended with 4 broken 2mm magnets.

I found a company is China who custom makes these and they have some engineers helping me determine that I require a 48HS Neodymium magnets size are 24x12.5x2 mm.

Where I’m stuck is that they are asking me the magnetization direction (see pic) there are 3 options, magnetization through to thickness, length or width.

I want to say ‘magnetization through thickness’ as these will interface with the stator as the wheel spins. But I don’t know.

Is anyone familiar with the magnetization characteristics for these type of hub motors ?

Also, as they are glued back does it matter how they sit either flipping them top or bottom on the wheel housing ?

Appreciate any guidance.

Thanks,

Magnet Noob

IMG_4304.jpeg

I had the magnets deglue on my edge 1500 35 mm aluminum stator in the group by here on ES. It was a s***** motor it worked but the magnets just were put on with glue dust lucky the first edge motor I got with a bad stator I still had and I was able to take the magnets 35 mm out of one and JB weld with high temp JB weld back in the magnets are very difficult to work with you must get the north south right and they will jump out of your hand onto anything metal or something and if they jump more than 10 in when they hit the piece they snap in half so you got to have a half a dozen extra magnets and take your time. I just worked on that motor the other day it's a s***** motor

Back