Vespa PX125 (Large Frame) Electric Conversion.

If you are okay with a small backpack and/or bag between your feet when needing to take something with you, I wouldn't mount the rack again. But if you plan on regularly transporting bigger stuff it would be very handy.

Elektrosherpa said:
JimVonBaden said:
Thinking about putting this rack back on, but I am undecided. It is functional, but not very aesthetically pleasing.

Depends on what you want to do with the scooter.
I would definitely put it back- for me, a vehicle must more useful than decorative...

I get that, and typically agree. With this bike though, I am trying for a cross of function and aesthetics!

Please log the top speed, and if possible...

log the miles for the expected trip, and then near the end just circle around your house to see the total miles (when you run out you will be close to home).

spinningmagnets said:
Please log the top speed, and if possible...

log the miles for the expected trip, and then near the end just circle around your house to see the total miles (when you run out you will be close to home).

That is the plan. I will have my GPS on it, and the gopro.

So, successful ride, and here are the stats:

94% charge:

Starting miles, 17144.5

End miles: 17169.2

Total miles: 24.7

End charge 38%.

Moving time, 57 minutes, total time 1:21 minutes, with an average moving speed of 27 mph, and a top speed of 62mph.

None of that tells the whole story. First, it was all in town with stop and go traffic, with one short freeway ride (top speed run of 1.5 miles). The bike was perfect the whole time. Took off quickly, accelerated briskly, and easily kept up with traffic from 35-50 mph. At not time did I feel like traffic was outrunning me, and many times I outran it. It was a total joy to ride. Good handling, and plenty of acceleration.

What makes the test not realistic, was heavy Sunday DC traffic, with a lot of stopping and starting, with nearly full throttle each time. The bike weighs 210 pounds, I weigh 275, so this stopping and starting was hard on the battery. If I were to take it on back roads and leisurely riding, I am sure my miles would easily double. I was watching the amp gauge and noted that I hit 150 amps several times, and during acceleration I was generally over 100 amps.

Next weekend I will take it on some backroads out of the city, with far fewer stops and road speed limits around 45. I am confident I can get easily 50 miles out of it!

Here is why I do not have a GPS log to prove the ride. It happened 2 miles from home when I hit a big bump and it jumped off the bike, then got run over. :oops:

Start and stop of my amp gauge. For some reason it defaults to 100ah. I need to find a way to reset it.

Before:

After:

Interestingly, there appeared no degradation of performance as the battery got lower. The top speed run was done just a couple of miles before the crash of the GPS.

So, out of town all week and I was itching to go ride. Beautiful 70° and sunny!

Started the baseline with my new, old, GPS, properly secured this time.

I took local roads out 16 miles, with the speed limits 40-45, I was doing that and more, easily keeping up with traffic, but there was too much traffic to do a speed run. I did hit 52mph at one point.

When I stopped I checked my battery and was like oops!

That may be pushing it.

I turned around and headed back, when traffic cleared up. On a slight uphill slope I went for top speed. Managed 60.2mph. Not bad with volts down to 74V.

This bike is just a blast to ride, and therefor I was unable to keep my wrist out of it, and was riding hard right from the beginning.

12 miles later I found my range when I ride it hard.

Note that I rode for 55 min, with on time of 1:16 minutes, and an average speed of 30.3. Like I said, I was dogging it.

Problem is, the bike refuses to go when I hit 5% battery! :cry:

The other problem is, my battery monitor is not accurate:

The voltage is right, amps are right, but Amp hours and percentages are off. I can't seem to reset them correctly.

Result?

Total bike miles. Now at 17198, or 64 electric miles.

I need to do a little more tweaking on the controller. I also need to contain myself and see if I can ride more sedately for a distance run.

I'm pretty confident that I could ride 40mph for a solid 45+ miles. My issue is a lead wrist. I do have a 3 poll switch that I can hook up (I wired it but left it unhooked) that will moderate my power. I noticed I am climbing up to near 200 amps under hard acceleration, usually going uphill. If I tone it down, I would do much better.

This is definitely a city bike. The current charger takes 6-7 hours using 4 amps and 110V. The battery would not allow a Tesla style charge. The BMS isn't designed for it. I can use a 10 amp charger, and been good in about 3 hours, but it is hard on the battery to use 10 amps all the time. Slower charging helps prolong the battery life. I am seriously considering another battery. I can fit it under the right cowl, which is now empty.

Oh, I forgot, I get up to 32 amps in regen, and barely need the brakes. That is set at 20%. Takes some getting used to though.

Jim
I am not using the regen option does not has enought benefits and riding using regen is not comfortable I prefer to use the brakes.
My #s are about the same as yours I have 2 64's installed range around 70 Mls and since I dropped some weight (40+lb) even a top speed of 55+ is within reach.( I am still 6'3" 255 ) at age 70
Basically driving around town with average speed at 35-45 is adding some range, just control the take off at the lights, it's not green flag racing although sometimes hard to resist.
My 2nd project P200 is waiting for parts from the UK to finish still using only 2X64v
I did got the headlight ordered like yours

Go Green

Rectrofit said:
Jim
I am not using the regen option does not has enought benefits and riding using regen is not comfortable I prefer to use the brakes.
My #s are about the same as yours I have 2 64's installed range around 70 Mls and since I dropped some weight (40+lb) even a top speed of 55+ is within reach.( I am still 6'3" 255 ) at age 70
Basically driving around town with average speed at 35-45 is adding some range, just control the take off at the lights, it's not green flag racing although sometimes hard to resist.
My 2nd project P200 is waiting for parts from the UK to finish still using only 2X64v
I did got the headlight ordered like yours

Go Green
Sounds like a great project. Did you document the first and the second?

As for regen, I am still on the fence for it. I am not at all concerned about it adding range, but at 30%, it is a nice augment to the front brake. It does take some getting used to, but I am not finding it too odd. Certainly it adds little to high speed stopping power. I am still very much considering replacing the front drum with a disc.

Back