Vespa PX125 (Large Frame) Electric Conversion.

Elektrosherpa said:
:?: Try with plugging in just a plug (without cable/Charger)?
Maybe there is a mechanical switch?

Interesting concept. Would that be a thing with this kind of plug, the yellow one?

It "seems" that plugging it into the charger creates a small draw that wakes the battery. I am wondering if I can create a plug with a small capacitor, or similar, that would do the same?

So, in the interest of optimizing my Kelly Controller, KLS 7245 H, and to get some opinions, here is a video of it running. It makes an odd noise, and has since installed, but runs great, with only a slight initial hesitation.

https://youtu.be/1awk6_YSeJM

These are my BMS and settings, it is a Daly BMS:

These are my settings on my Kelly Controller.

Any thoughts? I'm open to making it faster and get more miles per charge, with more miles taking the more important role.

Several rides, nothing bad to report. My friend rode it and loved it, so that is good. Well over 100 miles now.

So, EmVeeTee made me some 3D printed badges and I painted them up. Fortunately he gave me his test badges so I could play with sanding and painting them.

Black spray paint first, then silver brush on.

Test fitted one of the test pieces. I used 3M trim tape with a heat gun conform it to fit the legshield.

Once dry I will put on the final good badge.

Made some changes that _Gonzo_ suggested, and I went through the Kelly manual and made a ton of adjustments, including your suggestions.

All I can say is holy shit. It is a rocket off the line now, even with my fat ass on it, and no odd noises. No time today for an extended ride, but I am betting it will go even faster than 62mph, and get better miles. It is 100% improved, and way more fun to ride. It nearly pulled itself out of my hands the first time I nailed the throttle. :shock:

Thanks so much for your help -Gonzo_! :bigthumb:

I recorded the new settings, and will display them for all soon.

Wow, this project has just flewn away, such great work !

You've done, in months, what I have spent two to three years doing. AND you even restored the thing along the way. Massive kudos 👍

BTW, I am showing my project to the local authorities (not sure what to call them) to get it road legal next week, and I need to restrict it to 50km/h for the occasion. Do you have a suggestion on the easiest way to do this in the Kelly software? I will make a separate thread on it, I think.

EddySPalm said:
Wow, this project has just flewn away, such great work !

You've done, in months, what I have spent two to three years doing. AND you even restored the thing along the way. Massive kudos 👍

BTW, I am showing my project to the local authorities (not sure what to call them) to get it road legal next week, and I need to restrict it to 50km/h for the occasion. Do you have a suggestion on the easiest way to do this in the Kelly software? I will make a separate thread on it, I think.

Thanks, it has been a lot of fun, and some work!

The easiest way is to lower the max speed limit. Should be pretty simple with a little math.

Finally had a chance to get in another ride. It was a beautiful day around the city, so I puttered around, trying not to go WFO on every take off from start.

Start Stats:

Stop for fun:

End stats:

42% battery use at 21 miles. No reason I can't do 40 miles on a charge. I wasn't overly gentile, and you can see that I did a nice average, and though I wasn't going for top speed, I still did 56mph, just puttering around town.

Overall I am quite happy with the results. Smooth and quiet, and plenty of power.

Replaced this, which barely worked:

with this, that works much better. Everything is correct except I have not reset the battery percentage yet.

By attaching it here and feeding the wires forward, the hardest part.

Most is hidden by this.

This thing is a ton of fun around town, easily keeping up with DC and VA traffic.

SlowCo said:
That's good to hear :thumb:
Are you "done" with it and will you move on to other projects?

As Resistor once told me, you are never really done until you sell it. I am always tweaking it, and I really need to buy a disc front brake if I intend to keep it.

I am definitely looking for a new project, a motorcycle or a car to electrify, I am not sure.

ZeroEm said:
I think you found your calling. Very nice job. How is that mirror working out?

Thanks.

The mirror is not ideal, but since the handlebars are so narrow, and already cluttered, the handlebar mirrors needed to stick out 18" to see behind me. The low mirror works pretty good, but I have to look down to use it, not ideal. Also, above 45mph it tends to move out of position until I slow down.

JimVonBaden said:

This thing is a ton of fun around town, easily keeping up with DC and VA traffic.

I really think you should do something about this rear caliper. I might be wrong but I think it is very likely to rub the floor sometime soon.
I discovered this weekend that these calipers and brackets actually exist in both right and left versions, exact mirors of each other. installing a left version will very easily solve this issue, it is also very cheap (well at least in China). :wink:
_ - Google Chrome.jpg
So I suggest you to try and find one, so at least you'll be able to corner without fear of destroying your caliper or worse

Many have said the same, and at 300 pounds, and riding hard and fast, no touch so far. More the issue, I get a little howl out of the rear brake when lightly applied, so I need to do something. If I can get an upright caliper that doesn't hit, and a new rotor, as a package, I may do that.

Flipped it didn't clear. Believe me, I tried it on both sides.

Back